Old 04-04-2017, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
I don't see it mentioned yet, so I'll recommend getting a "America The Beautiful" National Park annual pass. Cost is $80, which will save you some money vs. paying for each individual park's entrance fee.
Does anyone know the site that's shown at the top of that page? Alcatraz, maybe?
Old 04-04-2017, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawth Chucka View Post
Does anyone know the site that's shown at the top of that page? Alcatraz, maybe?
Not Alcatraz, I'm almost certain. Perhaps Ellis Island?

ETA: yes, I believe so. I just searched, Ellis Island's Grand Hall. Images: https://www.google.com/search?q=elli...w=1024&bih=672

ETA2, especially this image: https://www.google.com/search?q=elli...CL2G57tBnWvoM:

Last edited by Bullitt; 04-04-2017 at 05:28 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:16 AM

OP here with a little update:

We did the trip and are now safely back home - not having been eaten by bears in Yosemite, died of thirst in Death Valley and having successfully hiked out of the Grand Canyon (in less than 7 hours, I might add with some pride).

Thank you again for all your thoughts. It was a fair bit of driving (although the worst part by far was the last day from Las Vegas to Los Angeles - how boring and hot can it get?), and we could not have squeezed in Arches and Monument Valley without going insane.

Everything went pretty much as planned, but we're pretty beat, and I'm very glad that I'll have a little more time off work to relax from my vacation.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:58 PM

Thanks for the update, I was worried a bit about you-all.

Now, please get some rest & enjoy the rest of your time off.

I am glad that you came & had some fun. I am also very glad that you are alive & well.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:15 PM

Make sure to come back and take the time to do the Utah parks; I'm biased, but they're the best!
Old 08-09-2017, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchmeister View Post
(although the worst part by far was the last day from Las Vegas to Los Angeles - how boring and hot can it get?)
True. At least headed the other way you can quote Hunter Thompson as you reach Barstow but in the other direction you count as a win if you are not facing wildfires and landslides as you cross the mountains into SoCal. And the bits near the NV/CA border are not even good-looking desert.

Glad you survived, thrived, enjoyed and avoided overextending yourselves! And yes, best holiday is one where you need a bit more to rest from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawth Chucka View Post
Make sure to come back and take the time to do the Utah parks; I'm biased, but they're the best!
Gotta agree, they are outstanding.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 08-09-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
True. At least headed the other way you can quote Hunter Thompson as you reach Barstow but in the other direction you count as a win if you are not facing wildfires and landslides as you cross the mountains into SoCal. And the bits near the NV/CA border are not even good-looking desert.

Glad you survived, thrived, enjoyed and avoided overextending yourselves! And yes, best holiday is one where you need a bit more to rest from it.

Gotta agree, they are outstanding.
This is a lovely, delicious hidden gem at Capitol Reef; I was just there Friday to pick 30# of apples that don't grow too many other places in the world. It was an amazing change of scenery down there in Color Country.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchmeister View Post
but we chose this park not for its ambiance, but for the amazing coasters. It's pretty much the only thing in the LA area we're really excited about (sorry, LA dopers!).
This line cracks me up, big time. I've lived in L.A. my entire life and I always tell tourists that come into my bar that L.A.'s overrated for tourism but underrated as a place to live. (Depending on where in L.A. you live, of course.)

My wife just recently suggested I go to Magic Mountain by myself. Haven't been in 20 years because nobody in my family likes thrill rides. May have to take her up on it.

Last edited by Moonchild; 08-10-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:01 PM

just to let people know Disneyland is another hour in a half from magic mountain (which is in Valencia) and an hour from la its self (Anaheim) ........

Last edited by nightshadea; 08-10-2017 at 02:04 PM.