Old 01-19-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
Too right.

In my opinion, every American who calls him or herself a patriot owes a duty to research just how far and deep those Koch tentacles reach. They are literally everywhere: Cato Institute, Americans for Prosperity, American Enterprise Institute, Heritage Foundation, Club for Growth and so many others.

This is in addition to their private charitable foundations that contribute massively to organizations over which they then exert their influence, such as the NRA, the Federalist Society, the Institute for Justice (sic) and again, many others.

They funded the Tea Party. They fund -- or don't fund -- campaigns as they choose, exerting tremendous influence over the election process.

They've been playing a long game and I think they, along with their oligarch buddies, believe this is their moment. Now that Republicans have achieved their masters' smash 'n grab tax cuts, the money will flow freely to fund campaigns in November and beyond.

IMHO, knowing which politicians and entities are doing Koch bidding is extremely critical to making good, informed decisions in casting our votes.
Quote:
...the Mercers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Those are some very creepy people.

Indeed, Americans should also bone up on this father and daughter tag team.

Paywalled - a couple snippets -

Quote:
Mercer strongly supported the nomination of Jeff Sessions to be Trump’s Attorney General. Many civil-rights groups opposed the nomination, pointing out that Sessions has in the past expressed racist views. Mercer, for his part, has argued that the Civil Rights Act, in 1964, was a major mistake. According to the onetime Renaissance employee, Mercer has asserted repeatedly that African-Americans were better off economically before the civil-rights movement. (Few scholars agree.) He has also said that the problem of racism in America is exaggerated. The source said that, not long ago, he heard Mercer proclaim that there are no white racists in America today, only black racists.
Quote:
"[Rebekah] is the First Lady of the alt-right,” Christopher Ruddy, the owner of the conservative outlet Newsmax Media, said. “She’s respected in conservative circles, and clearly Trump has embraced her in a big way.”
Quote:
By 2016, Breitbart News claims, it had the most shared political content on Facebook, giving the Mercers a platform that no other conservative donors could match. Rebekah Mercer is highly engaged with Breitbart’s content. An insider there said, “She reads every story, and calls when there are grammatical errors or typos.” Though she doesn’t dictate a political line to the editors, she often points out areas of coverage that she thinks require more attention. Her views about the Washington establishment, including the Republican leadership, are scathing. “She was at the avant-garde of shuttering both political parties,” the insider at Breitbart said. “She went a long way toward the redefinition of American politics.”
Old 01-19-2018, 10:23 PM

Maybe he measured his height on a good hair day.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
Maybe he measured his height on a good hair day.
He has those?
Old 01-19-2018, 10:37 PM

Interestingly, the Kochs and the Mercers don't especially like each other, but it appears they have set aside their differences to the extent they're happy to keep their grubby paws on the levers of power for as long as the American people allow them to do it.

The Mercers fund the opposition candidate, a fellow named Art Robinson, to my representative in the House, Peter DeFazio, every election. Robinson loses every time, but I learned that the Mercers have a back-up plan for him. They want him to be the Chief Science Advisor for the Trump "administration."

Some things Art Robinson believes:

He's the author of the Oregon Petition, a fake document often touted as the petition signed by "scientists" who don't believe in climate change, such as the Spice Girls' Geri Halliwell, Charles Darwin and I. C. Ewe. He of course believes that climate change is a hoax.

He believes humans will develop an "immunity" to the adverse effects of nuclear radiation by sprinkling small amounts of nuclear waste on people from the air.

He has collected literally thousands of human urine samples, believing they hold the key to extending the human life span. Many Oregonians have been happy to mail him additional samples for his collection every election cycle.

The Mercers love this guy.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
He has those?
Think in terms of altitude.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:01 PM

I should've qualified, in my previous post:

Quote:
“[Rebekah Mercer] was at the avant-garde of shuttering both political parties,” the insider at Breitbart said. “She went a long way toward the redefinition of American politics.”
Sure, like rubbing a towel back and forth between one's legs, with the towel being the resulting definition, if that's what this insidery insider* meant.

*Of course another gutless Breitbarter, probably telling Mayer, on the phone, "duuuurr I forgot my name, bye."

Quote:
Yikes - I've never heard of this before. (and probably should have)
I could see Pruitt trying to sneak extra signatures (if it's at some convention or town hall or something) when no one's looking. He just stands there looking askance, totally skeevy, just waiting...waiting...and boom - quickly jots his name again.
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
Elephant Whisperer

This is our first shutdown viewed closeup. We were in Bangkok for the others. Fortunately we're in a position where it's not going to directly affect us too much. The wife's immigration matters are all up to date. I don't need my passport renewed anytime soon. No government payments that could be suspended. Not a government employee, so no furlough. No plans to visit a national park too soon (although we do have plans for March). But we feel for those who are going to be inconvenienced to any extent.

Say, if this lasts long enough, could it effectively cancel tax day in April?
Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM

So the Republicans shut down government to prevent children from getting health care. And to kick out people that have been here for years. What a lovely bunch they are.
Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
So the Republicans shut down government to prevent children from getting health care. And to kick out people that have been here for years. What a lovely bunch they are.
And to not let the military get paid ... The Dems had a provision or resolution (whatever you call it), so the military (that the Repubs love so much and beat everyone over the head with so much) would get paid. McConnell and the Repubs shot that down too. Meanwhile expect Trump to keep sabotaging.
Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM

Trump apparently thinks the Women's March is in support him.
"Beautiful weather all over our great country, a perfect day for all Women to March. Get out there now to celebrate the historic milestones and unprecedented economic success and wealth creation that has taken place over the last 12 months. Lowest female unemployment in 18 years!"
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...88467069870081
Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM

Trying to make something about himself? What kind of narcissist would do such a thing???

Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM

One who can't read the Fuck Trump signs!
Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

The point is that a nonzero number of people now think that’s true. If he hadn’t said anything, that wouldn’t have happened.
Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
And to not let the military get paid ... The Dems had a provision or resolution (whatever you call it), so the military (that the Repubs love so much and beat everyone over the head with so much) would get paid. McConnell and the Repubs shot that down too. Meanwhile expect Trump to keep sabotaging.
The Dems have to get in front of this. Right now the message is "Dems won't let us pay troops because they love illegals more". As it is, McConnell can withdraw his objection just in time for the troops to get paid, and the Republicans can say that they saved military pay even though the Dems won't budge on immigration.
Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktep View Post
The Dems have to get in front of this. Right now the message is "Dems won't let us pay troops because they love illegals more". ...
Who on earth would buy an obvious piece of baloney like that? Oh, wait...
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge View Post
Elected Democrats have chosen to shut down the U.S. government in order to show their support for ILLEGAL ALIENS.

The welfare of ILLEGAL ALIENS is more important to them than the welfare of American citizens.

Vote accordingly.
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
One who can't read the Fuck Trump signs!
It would be dangerous to take a "Fuck Trump" sign to a women's march. He'd be apt to interpret it in a way in which it's not meant, I'll clue ya.
Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
The problem is, as we all know, the Pubbies control both houses AND the White House. This is their shutdown. Unfortunately, the InfoWars Limbaugh Hannity fanboys will still blame it all on the party that is not in control of ANYthng- just like they are told to.

I liked what Tammy Duckworth had to say about "5 Deferment Cadet Bonespurs" Trump over all this, as he and that lying scumbag McConnell tried to play the "respeck da military" card yet again....
“Does he even know that there are service members who are in harm’s way right now, watching him, looking for their commander in chief to show leadership, rather than [trying] to deflect blame? Or that his own Pentagon says that the short-term funding plans he seems intent on pushing is actually harmful to not just the military, but to our national security? … Sadly, this is something that the current occupant of the Oval Office does not seem to care to do — and I will not be lectured about what our military needs by a five-deferment draft dodger.”

Last edited by SteveG1; Yesterday at 09:24 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aktep
The Dems have to get in front of this. Right now the message is "Dems won't let us pay troops because they love illegals more". ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge
Elected Democrats have chosen to shut down the U.S. government in order to show their support for ILLEGAL ALIENS.

The welfare of ILLEGAL ALIENS is more important to them than the welfare of American citizens.

Vote accordingly.
And then there's:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump
Do you not understand that we need 60 votes to pass the Senate? Are you aware that Republicans only have 54 seats in the Senate?

This shutdown belongs solely to the Democrats. They would rather stand up for illegal aliens than pay our soldiers. Says volumes about their lack of ethics.
It's like an echo chamber.
Old Yesterday, 11:15 PM
Elephant Whisperer

"If there is a shutdown, I think it would be a tremendously negative mark on the president of the United States." -- Donald J. Chump in a 2011 interview. (Left unsaid was that's only if the President is black.)

"Our country needs a good 'shutdown' in September to fix mess!" -- President Donald J. Chump in a 5/2/17 tweet (which is an official White House document).

Last edited by Siam Sam; Yesterday at 11:15 PM.
Old Today, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktep View Post
The Dems have to get in front of this. Right now the message is "Dems won't let us pay troops because they love illegals more". As it is, McConnell can withdraw his objection just in time for the troops to get paid, and the Republicans can say that they saved military pay even though the Dems won't budge on immigration.
Yeah, I have a friend who is blaming Schumer and the "rule of 60." Not that he'd listen anyway, but I don't know how to counter that, as I tend to think more about Twitler and his plan for destruction.
Old Today, 12:39 AM

"Hey, I'm just holding Trump to his word. He said that the President is responsible for shutdowns. Now he's the President, so he's responsible by his own words."

"Isn't he supposed to be this master negotiator? How come he's telling other people to do it?"

"The worst things in the world are justified by belief" - U2, Raised by Wolves

Last edited by Chimera; Today at 12:40 AM.
Old Today, 12:42 AM
Charter Member

Question for you Americans (because we just get the Trump Farts downunder, and nothing from the opposition Dems).

Is the Democrat Party putting up a good fight over this and other shit that the GOP likes to serve? Or are they just laying low to let Trump and his cronies hang themselves?
Old Today, 12:54 AM

They're putting up a decent fight. A fair number of bills in the Senate have passed by only a 1-2 votes and one or two by 51-50 with the Vice President breaking the tie. And of course, a couple of them famously failed because they couldn't get enough of the 54 Republican Senators on board. Mostly because of infighting between the "burn everything to the ground" faction and the more realistic Pile O' Money faction.

"The worst things in the world are justified by belief" - U2, Raised by Wolves
Old Today, 01:11 AM

Trump's official website:
"DEMOCRATS “COMPLICIT” IN ALL MURDERS BY ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS"
https://www.donaldjtrump.com/media/d...al-immigrants/
Old Today, 01:22 AM

It should be noted though that this shutdown is hardly playing hardball.
Both chip and daca are supported by the majority of americans, and letting the latter expire without an equivalent replacement would cause chaos.
If the dems were to make significant concessions just to push these through then they done fucked up.
Old Today, 01:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
They're putting up a decent fight. A fair number of bills in the Senate have passed by only a 1-2 votes and one or two by 51-50 with the Vice President breaking the tie. And of course, a couple of them famously failed because they couldn't get enough of the 54 Republican Senators on board. Mostly because of infighting between the "burn everything to the ground" faction and the more realistic Pile O' Money faction.
Sorry, I didn't explain myself properly. I meant are the Dems screaming and yelling in the MEDIA about the Trump admin?
Old Today, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
Sorry, I didn't explain myself properly. I meant are the Dems screaming and yelling in the MEDIA about the Trump admin?
One party is the party of 7-year-olds. The other is the party of adults. Now, I am not saying adults typically do everything right, but at least their feet reach the pedals and they can see over the wheel.
Old Today, 01:58 AM

When did the Republicans get 54 Senators? Last time I checked they had 51,
Old Today, 02:37 AM

The White House voice mail message is blaming the Democrats for the shutdown.
https://www.snopes.com/white-house-comment-line-trump/
Old Today, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
Me neither, so I felt compelled to look up some photographic evidence.

In this pic from the GOP debate he's clearly much shorter than Jeb Bush, who is listed as 6'3" according to Google.

And in this pic standing next to Obama he's roughly the same height as Obama (maybe a bit shorter given their hairstyles) and Obama is listed as 6'1".

So yeah, he's definitely overstating his height by 2-3 inches.
The Donald intentionally overstating his height by 2-3 inches is the most Trumpian thing I've read all week. And his hands are YUUUGE too!
Old Today, 03:28 AM

Mick Mulvaney, director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, requests a budget of $0. All previous budget requests, for hundreds of millions of dollars, have been filled without hesitation as the CFPB is one of the few arms of the government that actually nets billions of dollars by fining financial institutions for defrauding their customers. Or should I say, it *did* that - past tense.

"“So far this week the acting director has announced plans to gut the payday lending rule, asked big banks and Wall Street special interests how they would like to destroy the agency from the inside, and now he’s screwing with its funding,” said Karl Frisch, executive director of Allied Progress, a consumer group. “What he hasn’t done is offer one announcement about actions taken to protect consumers.”

The deconstruction of the administrative state continues.

Last edited by AI Proofreader; Today at 03:31 AM.
Old Today, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
The Dems should just keep proposing it again and again.
Old Today, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
"Our country needs a good 'shutdown' in September to fix mess!" -- President Donald J. Chump in a 5/2/17 tweet (which is an official White House document).
I guess he thinks a shutdown is kind of like an enema.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
This really does boggle the mind. A mind that is already seriously over-boggled.
Old Today, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Proofreader View Post
… the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau …
This seems somewhat unsatisfying. I propose that the word “Agency”, “Bureau”, “Commission”, “Department” or “Administration” be routinely replaced with something like “Racket”. As in “Consumer Financial Protection Racket”. Or some similar word that works as well or better.
Old Today, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Yeah, I have a friend who is blaming Schumer and the "rule of 60." Not that he'd listen anyway, but I don't know how to counter that, as I tend to think more about Twitler and his plan for destruction.
Four republican senators voted against.

Correction: Five republicans.

Last edited by naita; Today at 09:50 AM. Reason: Correction.
Old Today, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
I give this a PL (Propaganda Level) of 6, mostly because it's so nakedly blunt and gloriously devoid of supporting facts. Some choice quotes:
Quote:
It contrasts Democrats, who stand by those who commit acts of “pure evil,” versus President Trump, who was elected to build a wall to stop illegal immigration and keep American families safe.
Quote:
The powerful new ad reflects the stakes in the illegal immigration debate, and the reasons why the President will not allow the Schumer Shutdown to force his hand and grant amnesty for illegal immigrants.
"the Schumer Shutdown" is a nice try but I don't think it's going to have sticking power. When you're the party in charge, as well as the head guy in charge of the party in charge, playground bully-style nicknames just come across as sad attempts to distract, redirect and avoid the fight.