Old 01-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

March to the Superbowl!

I wasnt sure if AirmanD's Steelers thread was to old to bring back, so figured I would start new.

The wildcard round is done;

Skins squeak by Tampa with a strong D, and horrible offense.
Defending Super Bowl Patriots smack the young Jaguars.
Carolina put the idea of a Manning V Manning Super Bowl to rest by beating the Giants.
The Steelers get a break when the Bengals All-Pro quaterback goes down on the second play. Steelers win running away.

So, the divisional rounds start next weekend:

Washington @ Seattle
A tough one for Washington. Seattle has a vetran QB, and an 1800yd running back. Seattle is like 16-1 at home over the past couple of seasons

Carolina @ Chicago
A game made for those who like hard nose punishing deffense. Should be classic football weather...cold and nasty!

Steelers @ Indy
Peyton shredded the Steelers D in the first game, but these aint the same Steelers.

Patriots @ Denver
Denver is rested and at home, but the Pats just dont freaking lose in the playoffs.

___

If you like american football, you couldnt ask for a better playoff schedule next week. My perdictions:

Washington 31
Seattle 24

Carolina 17
Bears 7

Indy 38
Steelers 21

Denver 27
Pats 20
Old 01-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

The post you're looking for is here.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dob

Washington @ Seattle
A tough one for Washington. Seattle has a vetran QB, and an 1800yd running back. Seattle is like 16-1 at home over the past couple of seasons

Carolina @ Chicago
A game made for those who like hard nose punishing deffense. Should be classic football weather...cold and nasty!

Steelers @ Indy
Peyton shredded the Steelers D in the first game, but these aint the same Steelers.

Patriots @ Denver
Denver is rested and at home, but the Pats just dont freaking lose in the playoffs.

___

If you like american football, you couldnt ask for a better playoff schedule next week. My perdictions:

Washington 31
Seattle 24

Carolina 17
Bears 7

Indy 38
Steelers 21

Denver 27
Pats 20
You're probably right on Carolina and Indy, but there's no way the Redskins get past Seattle. If they play anything like they did against the Bucs, the Seahawks will send them packing back to D.C.. Defense may win football games, but unless they shut down MVP Shaun Alexander, this is absolutely no contest.

Seahawks 34, Skins 6

Halfway through the season, the Patriots weren't even supposed to make the playoffs! This weekend, they looked as good as any of their Superbowl seasons. Close game, but never underestimate the Belicheck magic!

Pats 24, Broncos 10
Old 01-09-2006, 01:18 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

I think Dob is on target for the AFC, but not the NFC. Panthers-Bears could be another excellent defensive contest, but since I picked the Bears to represent the NFC in my office pool, I'm going to go with them. Washington is hot, but I just can't see them topping Seattle on the road.

Denver has gone really unnoticed this year, mostly because of Indy's greatness. That'll change next week.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2know
You're probably right on Carolina and Indy, but there's no way the Redskins get past Seattle. If they play anything like they did against the Bucs, the Seahawks will send them packing back to D.C.. Defense may win football games, but unless they shut down MVP Shaun Alexander, this is absolutely no contest.

Seahawks 34, Skins 6<snip>
Wrong! Defense doesn't win football games, defense wins Championships. The Redskins offense looked bad Saturday because they were going against a top 3 defense. How many offenses go into Tampa and run the score up? Tampa Bay has had a good defense all year, and for the past couple of years. Seattle is not and hasn't been a top 5 defense. The Redskins on the other hand are a top 5 defense. Historically, the Redskins have owned Seattle, beating them in week 4 this year, week 10 in '03 at Seattle, week 9 in '02 at Seattle, and week 9 in '01. In other words we have their number. It will be a close game, because both teams are good and are going to be giving it all they have, but the 'Skins will be victorious.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:33 PM

Dont forget that the Bears are nicely rested after 3 weeks not playing, They have their starting QB back at 100% as well as the rest of the defensive starters who had been banged up and bruised, Were still rocking the #1 defense in the league, and that we beat Carolina in the regular season, and while Smith was able to get a lot of yards, we kept him out of the endzone.

Im not saying the Bears are going to blow the Panthers out of the water, but I think were looking pretty good.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:41 PM

It's easy to underestimate the "bye" teams in this week.

Usually, you've just seen a team come off an impressive performance (e.g. New England & Carolina) while the other team hasn't played a meaningful game in a few weeks (Den, Indy).

But, that bye week is huge this time of year. Basically, what you have this weekend is 4 teams that in the regular season were better than their opponents, playing at home, with rest.

Indy, Den, Chi and Seattle all win. Not one will be closer than a touch. If I had to pick one visitor to win, probably New England.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2know

Halfway through the season, the Patriots weren't even supposed to make the playoffs!

According to who? At the close of week 8 the AFC East standings looked like this:

New England 4-3
Miami 3-4
Buffalo 3-5
NY Jets 2-5.

The Pats were in first place in an apparently weak division and were the odds on favorite to win the division.