Old 08-18-2015, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Does Anybody Know Anything About Elio Motors New 3 Wheeled Car?

A link--
http://www.eliomotors.com/

Quote:
Say hello to Elio. The ultra-high-mileage, sleek two-seater for an incredibly affordable base price.
84 MPG, $6,800 base.

http://www.eliomotors.com/features/#the-4-musts

It seems like there is no car, yet.
It also seems like this would be IDEAL CAR FOR ME, if it pans out!

Input from Dopers who know?

Last edited by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor; 08-18-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=712643
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=757810

I have more to say but I'm on the phone now.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:38 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

We've had threads on it before, not sure when it gets released to the public. They've pushed back the release date at least once.

With gas prices hovering at $2-3, I'm not sure how big the market will be vs. a $4/gallon gas scenario.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

IIRC there are still a few regulatory hiccups. They've been having to work things through state-by-state.

If you can find one at a show, I recommend having a seat. I found it surprisingly roomy.

It certainly isn't a car for everyone. It isn't for me, now, but it might be as my living situation changes over the next year or two.

I just looked into their situation, which has been another hurdle. It looks like they still don't have that DOE loan. I don't know if it got rejected or if it's still bouncing around in DC. I'd forgotten about Reg A+. I need to look into that some more; it may make for some nice investment opportunities.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

According to Wiki:
Quote:
Elio Motors did release a video of a working 3-cylinder engine on Youtube on March 6, 2015, but has not provided any revealed specifics on when the test was run, resulting performance data, or the current status of the motor and the overall IAV development project.
I will note that their website has a nice map showing all their projected dealerships.
They may not have a plant or a car yet, but they've got balls.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:48 PM

There is one other implication of registering it as a motorcycle instead of a car. Car makers are only allowed to advertise the EPA MPG rating, whereas motorcycle companies can claim basically whatever they want. I have a feeling they're only confident trotting around that 84 MPG number because they don't think they're ever going to have to report an actual EPA rating.

One of the side effects of measuring fuel economy in distance per volume instead of volume per distance is that it tends to exaggerate differences on the higher end. As their enthusiastic previous owners will tell you, cars like the Honda CRX or original Insight or 3 cylinder Geo Metro could get 70's and 80's MPGs under certain circumstances, but in the current EPA cycle they're only rated in the high 40's to low 50's. My hunch is that if the Elio has to undergo EPA fuel economy testing, it'll probably wind up around there in the low-to-mid 50's. Pretty good, but probably not good enough to get large numbers of people out of their hybrids especially if they have to go through the hassle of getting a motorcycle/trike endorsement.

Last edited by GreasyJack; 08-18-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:54 PM

At least it is projected to have two wheels in front, not in the back. Someday this might make it more stable than a Reliant Robin. Lifesaving documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8
Old 08-18-2015, 08:51 PM

Factory being leased to a textile manufacturer

http://gas2.org/2015/07/15/fishy-inv...r-elio-motors/
Old 08-19-2015, 09:21 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txjim View Post
Factory being leased to a textile manufacturer

http://gas2.org/2015/07/15/fishy-inv...r-elio-motors/
Maybe they're making the material for the seat covers?
Old 08-19-2015, 10:44 AM

We covered quite a bit of Elio Motors here, with most of us being skeptical of them ever making it, but with us hoping they could pull it off. And I agree with others, even less of a chance of them pulling it off now due to the lower gas prices.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:55 AM

This is a year old, but the points still seem to be valid, for the most part:

http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/six-th...n-l-1646776191
Old 08-19-2015, 11:17 AM

This sort of "reverse trike" seems to be trendy right now, but yeah, Elio doesn't seem to have it together as a company.

They seem to have attended the Elon Musk school of "keep promising your product is coming out really soon now"
Old 08-19-2015, 03:08 PM

I've wanted one since I first saw one, but have been unwilling to obligate with a deposit.

Well, for my birthday, my wife and kids "bought in" for me.

So, I'm in it until I get mine!
Old 08-19-2015, 03:44 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzRich View Post
I've wanted one since I first saw one, but have been unwilling to obligate with a deposit.

Well, for my birthday, my wife and kids "bought in" for me.

So, I'm in it until I get mine!
Oh, dear.
How much was the "deposit"?
Old 08-19-2015, 03:52 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Oh, dear.
He had more kids before the buy-in.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Hmmm...I'm hoping they pull this off, because I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
White.
Add a rear spoiler.
Paint it up with Rebel Alliance Insignia.

Stop next to Cops, blow horn twice, roll down the window, & ask for directions to the Death Star.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diceman View Post
This sort of "reverse trike" seems to be trendy right now, but yeah, Elio doesn't seem to have it together as a company.
Well, it's not that they're 'trendy' so much as it is that physics dictates that a 'forward trike', i.e. a kid's tricycle, is inherently unstable. They cannot counter-steer before turning therefore when they turn they flip over.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
They seem to have attended the Elon Musk school of "keep promising your product is coming out really soon now"
OTOH, I see one of several local Teslas nearly every day. It's a real product around Chicago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail Ants View Post
Well, it's not that they're 'trendy' so much as it is that physics dictates that a 'forward trike', i.e. a kid's tricycle, is inherently unstable. They cannot counter-steer before turning therefore when they turn they flip over.
Indeed. See the Reliant Robin documentary I linked. Though it did keep running.

That Elio is going with a bespoke engine is nuts. An 883 Sportster engine is just shy of the 55hp he wants, and is already EPA approved for a motorcycle. US Highland has a US-built, 50hp thumper that would fit anywhere.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:10 AM

I think he's loaded his design down with a bunch of poison pills, so that as he approaches the go-live date (assuming he gets enough money to launch), he'll be able to drop back a few yards and punt multiple times... "Well, it'd get 84 mpg if we could get our engine running... it'd be legal to drive with a car license if it satisfied car crash safety tests... it'd be under (whatever weight) if it didn't have to have a catalytic converter..." and next thing you know, it's overbudget, overweight, underperformance and unsafe at any speed.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail Ants View Post
But the Elio has two wheels up front and one in the back, creating greater stability forward-moving cornering.
I had a friend that used to refer to counter-steering as "fake left, go right".
Old 08-20-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:

You misspelled Paul Moller
Old 08-21-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Oh, dear.
One hundred dollars... and I get a shirt.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:23 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzRich View Post
One hundred dollars... and I get a shirt.
Hope you get the shirt.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:25 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Hope you get the shirt.
There's probably a picture of it on the website.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:38 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
There's probably a picture of it on the website.
Perhaps a mock-up 0f the shirt...and exciting news about plans afoot to produce the shirt as soon as contracts are signed with a garment manufacturer in Minnesota.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:00 PM

All snarkiness aside, I'd buy one. Right now I'm about 48.5% ready to do a deposit to get my place in line. Only thing holding me back really is a factoid I saw in one of the online articles that pointed out that Elio would need (by their own projections) to sell at least 150,000 vehicles annually to stay afloat. Mazda doesn't even sell that many, and they have multiple products to appeal to various needs.

Actually I 'm not super concerned about them staying in business for years and years, I'm concerned they won't reach the critical point of making and delivering MINE. I've had vehicles before where there was no longer a dealership to stand behind the product, and usually the aftermarket can supply just about anything.

If I jump in line now, I'd consider going with one of the "all-in" levels. Assuming the 45,000 deposits they have to date, I'm guessing at least 50% are in the lower level of commitment. Doing the nonrefundable "all-in", at least theoretically, would get me into the top 25%. So, lets say I would be number 10,000 in line.

So do I have confidence that they will get production going, and deliver 10,001 vehicles? That's my conundrum.
  • I already have an M endorsement on my license, so no barrier there
  • Going to work and back is just me and my laptop bag, so the storage space is no issue
  • I already ride a motorcycle to the office some days, so the "risk" of a smaller vehicle is no issue.

Ride the motorcycle on nice days, drive the enclosed motorcycle on the other days. Perfect for me.

If I had a 75% confidence level that I would eventually get a vehicle, I'd drop the $1000 All-In deposit in a second.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
OTOH, I see one of several local Teslas nearly every day. It's a real product around Chicago.
Oh, I know they're real, but Tesla has pushed back the Model X a couple of times now (and it's possible they may do so again), and the "affordable" car (I think it's the Model 3) is perennially coming out "next year." From what I've seen and heard in the auto industry, a more realistic assesment is that the Model 3 is at least a couple of years away at best.

Basically, Elon Musk has a habit of overpromising.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfield6 View Post
Ride the motorcycle on nice days, drive the enclosed motorcycle on the other days. Perfect for me.
Here's the enclosed motorcycle I want, but it will probably also never make it to production, at least not at a price point I could afford.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:24 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Being a motorcycle, has it heating and A/C?
Old 08-21-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Supposedly will have all creature comforts, heating, A/C, seat belts, airbags, etc. It's not really a motorcycle, but most states will apparently license it like one.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:33 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Under the "Support" section of their website, they say
Quote:
The entire program will roll out this year and will detail all available options. Keep in mind; your Elio will already be nicely equipped with premium features that are standard. These include A/C, Heat, Power Windows, Power Door Lock, AM/FM Stereo, and more.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Supposedly will have all creature comforts, heating, A/C, seat belts, airbags, etc. It's not really a motorcycle, but most states will apparently license it like one.
That would mean that in Nebraska, at least, I'd have to wear a helmet while driving it. That would suck.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
That would mean that in Nebraska, at least, I'd have to wear a helmet while driving it. That would suck.
They don't have money to buy senators.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:05 PM

I've seen several of these in the Atlanta metro area. Technically, it's a motorcycle since it doesn't have many of the required automotive safety features.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddypants View Post
I've seen several of these in the Atlanta metro area. Technically, it's a motorcycle since it doesn't have many of the required automotive safety features.

Sorry, but no. Not the same as the Elio at all. Those things give you all the disadvantages of a motorcycle but none of the advantages of a car. Worst of all possible options. If it's a nice enough day to ride exposed to the elements, I have a motorcycle for that. Which is actually fun.

The appeal of the Elio is the car-like experience of the enclosure.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post

Yeah, to add to the sucktitude of Nebraska, it's one of 5 states that show a helmet would be required.

http://www.eliomotors.com/wp-content...helmetlaws.pdf
Old 08-21-2015, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Those things give you all the disadvantages of a motorcycle but none of the advantages of a car. Worst of all possible options.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:45 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

News bump.
Still no cars for all you investors, and the "plan" is now to make 100 pre-production prototypes sometime in the fall of this year to go to fleets, with cars for all the true believers that actually paid good money to be made sometime next year...if funding can be found and current contract and financing complications can be worked out.

Anyone here still holding their breath?
Old 03-14-2016, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Huh I didn't notice they'd pulled in some Reg A+ money. I don't know that $17MM goes very far.

I haven't heard anything recently re: their DOE loan office application, and the article you link echoes that.

Last edited by Ruken; 03-14-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:49 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The article mentions how the financial hole keeps getting deeper and deeper:
Quote:
The continued production delays may cost Elio Motors a lot more money than they’d generate with the sale of those 100 prototypes. Elio is getting the use of the Shreveport factory, which had recently been updated by GM, by subleasing the real estate from its primary backer, real estate investor Stuart Lichter. Lichter’s firm leased the facility from Racer Trust, the corporate entity that held assets that GM had shed in its bankruptcy and bailout.

Part of the agreement with Racer Trust was Elio Motors’ pledge to create 1,500 new permanent full-time jobs in Caddo Parish, Louisiana. The agreement stipulated that if Elio had not created those jobs by February 28, 2016, the company would have to pay Racer Trust $5,000 for each job below 1,500 not staffed. Since a total of zero jobs have so far been created in Caddo Parish by Elio, that means, theoretically, that they owe Racer Trust $7.5 million. Elio Motors had been trying to renegotiate those terms but, as yet, there’s been no report from either Elio or Racer Trust about missing the deadline.
edited to add: I wonder if they'll even have a Shreveport factory to make cars in by the end of the year?

Last edited by Czarcasm; 03-14-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:09 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

UPDATE: The end of the year is drawing nigh, and the Shreveport "factory" still sits empty.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:10 PM

I've been kind of following this along... there's been some approval for the "trimobile" classification of vehicle, so people don't have to have motorcycle driver's licenses to drive these. He still doesn't have enough money or a working motor yet, and no updates on whether it has to pass car emissions or crash safety tests.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:03 AM

Does this remind anyone of the "Dale"?

http://jalopnik.com/murder-transsexu...tory-464820740

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenti...ar_Corporation

Dennis
Old 11-03-2016, 09:08 PM

We've had several tricycle try to start-em-ups here in Eugene:
The not yet now and possibly never Arcimoto and the more interesting and now defunct Gizmo.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:39 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Anyone still believing in this?
Late November: Latest prototype and official press release at LA Auto Show, but this flies in the face of a earlier disastrous news-
Quote:
We have a working capital deficit of $25,769,911 as of September 30, 2016. We had a net loss of $34,787,800 and $13,873,656 for the nine months ended September 30, 2016 and 2015, respectively.
“These factors, among others, raise substantial doubt about our ability to continue as a going concern. If we are unable to continue to obtain financing to meet our working capital requirements, we may have to curtail our business sharply or cease operations altogether.
Now, I've search the internet for news about investors throwing money down the Elio money pit between that depressing press release and their prototype release at the LA Auto Show, but I can't find anything. The don't even have a place to make the contraption, but they're still taking $7000 pre-orders. WTF?
Old 12-28-2016, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

It's definitely a unicorn. They'll declare bankruptcy soon and anyone who put money down on it will be shit out of luck.

Even if they did put out some units, nothing I've read gave me any confidence in the company as far as future service/parts/warranty coverage is concerned.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Morgan have been selling three-wheelers for many years.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Morgan have been selling three-wheelers for many years.
What's you point? Lots of companies have produced 3 wheelers. Elio seems to be offering more features than what others have.

Elio also appears to be hemorrhaging money and they haven't sold a single one. Morgan is an established company though not exactly what I would call mainstream. Their 3 wheelers are pretty neat looking but offer no weather protection from what I see.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:49 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Update: Still no cars, they are deeper in debt, their supposed manufacturing plant is still full of dust, and people that invested are getting pissed.
Quote:
As Jalopnik reported earlier this week, Elio filed its latest report with the Securities and Exchange Commission and revealed it needs $376 million to launch production, up from its previous estimated funding requirement of $312 million.
The company only has about $120,000 in the bank and its net loss in 2016 climbed to $52.7 million, up from $22.59 million a year prior, according to the filing.
I wonder if any of the 65 thousand plus people mentioned on their website as having prepaid for this electric tricycle have gotten their "free" t-shirts yet?

edited to add: If I had one of those t-shirts, I would have "I BELIEVE IN UNICORNS, TOO" printed on the back.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 06-02-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I guess that nobody knew that starting a car company would be so difficult.