Old 09-13-2019, 10:42 AM

Denver - As Sexist as Ever

As part of Denver's apparent #antimetoo movement, they re-elected Mayor Hancock. You know the one that sexually harassed a female deputy on his security detail forcing her to transfer to a less prestigious assignment. Well today Hancock appointed the first female Denver Sheriff, so progress right? When Denver Public Safety Department Executive Director Troy Riggs was introducing her, the man doing so felt it necessary to point out she's "friendly [and has] a great smile". Has any male sheriff EVER been introduced the same way? Oh and Riggs also neglected to mention her vast experience as an LEO (I've seen introductions of new Sheriffs and it's practically reading their resume to the press). But she is tenacious. Really minimizes what she has accomplished in the old-boys network that is law enforcement.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

The sheriff is appointed? Not elected?

Still...
Old 09-13-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Cite:
Quote:
Denver is one of only two Colorado counties that doesn’t elect its sheriff; the mayor makes the pick.
Weird.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post

Still...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
Cite:

Weird.
Denver is a combined city/county government. It makes for a few oddities here and there.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Denver - As Sexist as Ever
What's wrong with being sexy?
Old 09-16-2019, 09:12 AM

Saying a person has a great smile is sexist?
Old 09-16-2019, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

To the extent that women are expected and told to smile more than men, yes. I'm a guy who's been told I should smile more than once in my life, so it does happen to men sometimes as well.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:00 AM

It's totally true, we are committed to being as sexist as possible. Pretty much the entire population of Denver and the surrounding metro area. Why, we have all agreed to elect (and in some cases make sure we elect people who will appoint) the most sexist candidates, no matter what their other qualifications or what their political opponents bring, or don't bring, to the table. As long as we can make wimmins uncomfortable, that's good enough for us. That Hickenlooper fellow, for instance was a total lecher, which is why we promoted him from Denver Mayor to Colorado Governor until he termed out. Now it looks like we'll have to settle for him being a senator. And as for the constabulary, disregard them anyway.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
It's totally true, we are committed to being as sexist as possible.
Did you vote for Hancock in the latest election?
Old 09-16-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
This deals with the issue of women as leaders vs men as leaders. We had a huge thread on this and yes it is sexist because a male sheriff would be described with traditional leadership qualities: strong leader, decisive, takes control. They would have also pointed out all of his past leadership roles. Since it is a woman they describe her using feminine terms minimizing her leadership characteristics.

Let me put it this way. The President of your company has completely fucked it up and he resigns so they bring in someone to fix everything that's broken and kick ass as necessary. They introduce him: "Here's Whitey Oldman. He's going to be a great leader because he's tenacious and has got a great smile." with no mention of any of his leadership abilities.
What would you think?

-Richard Hariss
Old 09-16-2019, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Obviously it depends on the context.

A man telling his wife or girlfriend she has a great smile? Not sexist.

A male mayor publicly announcing that the woman he's appointed as Sheriff has a great smile? Sexist and unprofessional as hell. Stick to her accomplishments. If he wants to make general statements he can say things like "She is strongly committed to public safety." You know, like he would if he'd appointed a man to the position.

But I think you knew all this already.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:06 PM

Thank goodness, I thought this was going to be a rant about Bob Denver and "Gilligan's Island".
Old 09-16-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post

A male mayor publicly announcing that the woman he's appointed as Sheriff has a great smile? Sexist and unprofessional as hell. Stick to her accomplishments. If he wants to make general statements he can say things like "She is strongly committed to public safety." You know, like he would if he'd appointed a man to the position.

But I think you knew all this already.
If he stated her long list of accomplishments and qualifications and then added at the end "and she has a great smile", I would say it wasn't sexist. Ill advised in today's climate, but not strictly sexist.

If he omitted all of her accomplishments and qualifications and said she has a great smile (which is sounds like he did), then yea, that's sexist.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
If he stated her long list of accomplishments and qualifications and then added at the end "and she has a great smile", I would say it wasn't sexist. Ill advised in today's climate, but not strictly sexist.

If he omitted all of her accomplishments and qualifications and said she has a great smile (which is sounds like he did), then yea, that's sexist.
Well said. In addition it would be weird for men to get the compliment even if their other accomplishments are also listed, but I could see it for a man who is well-known for having a big smile.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
Let me put it this way. The President of your company has completely fucked it up and he resigns so they bring in someone to fix everything that's broken and kick ass as necessary. They introduce him: "Here's Whitey Oldman. He's going to be a great leader because he's tenacious and has got a great smile." with no mention of any of his leadership abilities.
What would you think?
I'd think it was stupid.

But I'm assuming you think it's sexist?

A quick internet news search shows me that many times "He has a great smile" has been used to describe a man.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I'd think it was stupid.

A quick internet news search shows me that many times "He has a great smile" has been used to describe a man.
You're missing the point, this is the extent of he qualifications according to her introduction.
"She’ll make the tough decisions. She’s tenacious. She’s friendly — she’s got a nice smile — but believe me, she’s tough as nails as well,"

The other points would be appropriate but WTF point out that she's friendly and has a nice smile? What does that have to do with her professional qualifications? And that's another point you're missing. Sure guys might be described as having a nice smile BUT how many of those were in reference to their professional qualifications when being introduced publicly when taking on a new high-profiled job?

I'm not a woman but as pointed out in the other thread that men use words and actions to oppress women leaders: telling them to smile more or critiquing their makeup or putting a hand on their arm. As a man I may not see the inherent sexism in talking about a woman's nice smile in a professional setting but if you were to imagine a male sheriff being introduced the exact same way then you may see it. You'd be like "Who cares about his smile? He's a sheriff." but it passes right by when said about a woman.

-Richard Hariss
Old 09-16-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I'd think it was stupid.

Please share your search parameters. I did a quick internet search on the phrase "he has a great smile" and got mostly links to people describing their children, often post-orthodontia.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:27 PM

As a comparison, here is what Hancock said when introducing Patrick Firman, Fran Gomez's predecessor. Incidently, her CV is vastly superior to his when he was hired.
Quote:
We were looking for someone with the ability and past performance to provide the strategic direction and vision necessary to bring about positive and lasting change for the department, and I believe we’ve found that leader in Patrick Firman,” Mayor Hancock said. “His is a record of excellence, fairness and effectiveness, one that will serve Denver well as we move forward with the critical reform process. With his appointment, I’m excited for the new day that this will bring to our Sheriff Department and our community.
Also
Quote:
“Leadership. That’s number one,” Hancock said. “He has the courage and the willingness to say, ‘I will do it.’ He knows this is a challenging situation.”
Compare that to Gomez's introduction.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
Please share your search parameters. I did a quick internet search on the phrase "he has a great smile" and got mostly links to people describing their children, often post-orthodontia.
I searched "He has a great smile" and clicked on "news" on the Google search results.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
As a comparison, here is what Hancock said when introducing Patrick Firman, Fran Gomez's predecessor. Incidently, her CV is vastly superior to his when he was hired.

Compare that to Gomez's introduction.
Maybe he didn't have a great smile?
Old 09-20-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I searched "He has a great smile" and clicked on "news" on the Google search results.
Current results:

Quote:
Capitals Outsider
Jakub Vrana Artwork
“He has a great smile and he looks like he's thrilled to be a Washington Capital.” Watch Jakub Vrana and the rest of the Caps on September 16 ...

elle.com
Matrix Mania: Why Are Fashion Designers So Obsessed
With ...
Oh, and he has a great smile and nice eyes. The internet seems to agree on this one. Google 'Keanu Reeves' and you'll get over 67 million ...

Sports Illustrated
After His Final NBA Season, Vince Carter Is Ready to
Transition to His Next Gig in Media
Then later it turned into, He has a great smile and a positive attitude. So which one is it? This is just my style, how I am, and I'm still here. SI: Is it ...

Variety
Shawn Mendes to Launch SmileDirectClub Partnership
With TV Spot During Grammys
Shawn Mendes has partnered with SmileDirectClub on a new initiative to spread positivity and benefit organizations, brands and causes that ...

Tulsa World
Meet 83 children waiting for adoption in the Oklahoma
Heart ...
Thomas is a child who likes making friends but he is a bit shy. He has a great smile and is happy most of the time. Thomas loves country music.

RTE.ie
Amy director tackles Maradona, gets more than the ball
He's really charming and he has a great smile and he's quite sweet. So if you see him at the right time and you're talking about the right things, ...
Jun 13, 2019
Tech Lunch Pail (blog)
Veterans Tyrell Smith, TJ Jackson Both Pushing for
Playing ...
He has a great smile; he always in a great mood and always gives a positive spin to other people," Fuente said. Given the negativity that ...

247Sports
Several players are pushing for time on Virginia Tech's O-
Line
He has a great smile; he always in a great mood and always gives a positive spin to other people. He is a good athlete, and he will lose a little ...

Noozhawk
Bishop Diego Baseball Standout Gabe Arteaga Signs
With ...
“Gabe is one of the nicest guys and he has a great smile,” he said. “He's genuinely just a happy guy. He's a leader, not a focal point, but rather ...

Atlanta Journal Constitution (blog)
‘American Idol’ second auditions recap season 17
... 25, Nashville, rideshare driver who goes by “unofficial Nashville mayor.” He moved to Nashville after a Paramore band. He has a great smile.

Results boil down to entertainers, sports people, 1 story about kids, and one story about a documentary about a sports person.

I'm noticing other phrases there - "quite sweet", "nice eyes", "always in a great mood". I'm not saying these things are attributes you wouldn't want in a law enforcement official, but they aren't the first thing you look for either.

Here's the problem - when you introduce someone publicly as the new person in a position, you should be starting with the attributes that make them a good candidate for that position.

Can you tell me why having a great smile makes someone a good sheriff?

Last edited by Zyada; 09-20-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Thank goodness, I thought this was going to be a rant about Bob Denver and "Gilligan's Island".
Ugh, that guy! He's dead to me.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyada View Post
Here's the problem - when you introduce someone publicly as the new person in a position, you should be starting with the attributes that make them a good candidate for that position.

Can you tell me why having a great smile makes someone a good sheriff?
If you're a man it's about how qualified you are for the position. If you're a woman it's about how you look ... at least in Denver.

-Richard Hariss