Old 09-15-2019, 03:13 AM

Another old Ford Bronco, the original square boxy body 1967-1977. Great shape and good paint.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:10 PM

I unexpectedly saw some quite interesting cars yesterday (Saturday 14th). I was in Tbilisi, in Georgia, and the city centre around Freedom Square and Rustaveli was all cordoned off.

It turned out that this was because they were filming scenes for Fast & Furious 9, so I abandoned most of my plans to watch. The main stunt cars in this one seem to be a Dodge Charger (2nd gen?) in grey with black stripes, and a Chevrolet Chevelle SS in black. They had several versions of each, with different states of damage for different scenes.

I saw two scenes being filmed, with several takes of each. In the first, the Chevelle charged up Rustaveli (right outside the Parliament building and the Georgian Museum of Fine Arts, which I had been planning to go to but couldn't) pursued by a van, and people shot at it from the van as it screeched round a corner - I couldn't see what was happening once they'd started off, but could hear the screeching and shots. In the second, a military convoy drove round Freedom Square (in the middle of the city) and then shortly afterwards, both stunt cars charged out of a side road and went after it.

I got a good look at the cars - at one point, I was standing next to both the stunt cars in the side street where they launched from at the start of the scene - but didn't get any good photos, as whenever you were close to anything there was security to stop you from filming / photographing. The start main scene was being watched and filmed by half of Tbilisi though, so got a few quick (rather poor) shots of things. The Chevelle (between scenes), one of the Chargers (in minor damage mode), and the convoy (one, two).

Turned out to be a rather more interesting day than going round the art gallery would have been.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:52 PM

My friend took this yesterday; she didn't walk over to see if there was a dead body in it, though.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:30 PM

That smell will never come out, Jerry.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

I just saw a Hyundai Ioniq today. Never seen one on the road before. I didn't get a very long look at it, so I couldn't tell if it was a hybrid or pure EV.

I bicycle a lot and am always on the lookout for EVs. Probably because they don't spew exhaust at me. Unfortunately there aren't enough of them on the road yet to make up for all the pickups whose drivers intentionally spew extra exhaust.1

Anyway, I usually see half a dozen or so Teslae per ride, although how many depends on where I go. Some areas I'm lucky to see any; others I could see a dozen or more. I did once see a Chevy Spark EV, which is a really rare sight. They only sold a small number in Oregon and California.

1 The fraction of pickup drivers that do this is between about .1 and .5, which also depends on which area I ride in. Not too surprising, the fraction on a specific ride is inversely proportional to the chances of seeing more Teslae on that ride.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

A late 80's or early 90's Alfa Romeo Spider Graduate, with the top down on the last commuting day of summer.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:37 AM

Wish I could be more specific, but all I can say for sure is it was green and from the 1930's. The body style was boxy like a station wagon, but the vehicle was definitely a sedan. The front headlights were mounted in brackets that stuck out from the hood. The car looked great -- well-cared-for, immaculate paint job, no rust or other flaws visible -- but it was of a no-frills design that suggested Chevy or Plymouth.

Had I brought my phone with me as I walked my dog, I could have snapped a good photo, as the car was in a line of parents waiting to drop their kids off at school. I tried to get the driver's attention as he turned back onto the street, but if he heard my shout of "Great car! What kind is it?", he didn't reply. I'd recognize the vehicle if I saw it again, whether "in the wild" or in a picture. Any guesses?
Old 09-20-2019, 09:04 AM

See any hood ornaments? How many doors?
Old 09-20-2019, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

An early 60s Plymouth Barracuda with a flat black finish. We thought those were really cool looking back then, probably second only to the Jag XKE. The Jag has held up, though, while the 'Cuda now looks very dated.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
Unfortunately there aren't enough of them on the road yet to make up for all the pickups whose drivers intentionally spew extra exhaust.1

1 The fraction of pickup drivers that do this is between about .1 and .5, which also depends on which area I ride in. Not too surprising, the fraction on a specific ride is inversely proportional to the chances of seeing more Teslae on that ride.
Is that true? I have heard of such a thing, but assume it was about 2 or 3 assholes total (nationwide) who had converted their exhaust systems. Are you saying 10 to 50% of pickups on the road have the capability and desire to intentionally increase their exhaust?
Old 09-20-2019, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Is that true? I have heard of such a thing, but assume it was about 2 or 3 assholes total (nationwide) who had converted their exhaust systems. Are you saying 10 to 50% of pickups on the road have the capability and desire to intentionally increase their exhaust?
Nah, most haven't modified their exhaust, although there's lots more than 2 or 3 nationwide who have. Hell, there's more than 2 or 3 in this county who have. But most just do the best they can with an unmodified truck. The usual way is unnecessarily accelerating just as they pass me and for about 30 or 40 feet down the road.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:52 PM

I saw a pale blue Toyota Sienna *minivan* with a big "Gas, Grass or Ass... Nobody rides for free" window sticker on it. All I could thing was Man, that is one eff'ed up school carpool.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:26 PM

A Model Y. Very rare.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
It is a diesel thing called Rolling Coal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_coal

Way more than 2 or 3 in the world. Very common in rural areas. Google and you will find hundreds of thousands of videos.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_coal

Way more than 2 or 3 in the world. Very common in rural areas. Google and you will find hundreds of thousands of videos.
I don't want to derail this thread (which I really enjoy) but jesus, that's obnoxious.
Quote:
Rolling coal is a form of conspicuous air pollution, for entertainment or for protest
I don't understand people.

Let's now return to interesting cars on the roads......
Old 09-20-2019, 04:49 PM

Fully agree... and here is my back on track submission.

I pass an apartment complex on my commute and one day I noticed the faded red back end of what I thought may be an old Mustang Fastback... but something didn't look right. It hasn't moved in weeks since I first spotted it. Today the car that usually is next to it was gone and I'm pretty sure it is a 1970 Maverick. Looks like a survivor and doesn't appear from a distance to have any/much rust.

One of these days I'll have to pull into the parking lot and get a closer look.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
It started off as a diesel thing, but most of the people who do it have gas trucks. Much less effective, fortunately.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

A KISS Army branded Mini Countryman, I think it was the Peter Criss model.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:42 AM

I saw an interesting older Citroën that I didn't recognise. It was pale yellow and looked as though it would have been late '50s, but having looked at some pictures I think it was either a late model Ami or an early model GS (more similar), so about 15 years newer than I'd thought. I suppose Citroëns have always had odd styling that's hard to date.

I'm visiting my parents and also saw the pale blue AC Cobra that I've seen about the village before. Last time it was parked outside a local bar / pub; this time it passed us in the other direction on the main road, going out of town.

(PS Hi Wildabeast and everybody; I started posting without saying hello, sorry. But I have mentioned the AC Cobra before to Wildabeast on a similar thread elsewhere, now defunct...)
Old 09-21-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_W View Post
But I have mentioned the AC Cobra before to Wildabeast on a similar thread elsewhere, now defunct...)
Believe it or not, within a minute of reading this post a Cobra (or more likely a replica) drove past my house.

I'm a few days late posting this, but Thursday I had to travel down to San Jose for work. on the drive back home I saw several interesting cars. Unfortunately I could only identify one of them. First I passed some sort of early 1950s American car in the breakdown lane on the freeway. I was over in the left lane and only got a brief look at it and then traffic in the right lanes blocked my view of it. But it looked customized and was a lowrider. Then while passing through Livermore I saw some sort of exotic supercar up ahead, I think maybe a McLaren but I wasn't able to get close enough to get a really good look at it. Then I saw the one car that was easy to identify -- a mid 1960s Corvette Stingray.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Not a biggie, but a Pontiac Solstice. They're at least 10 years old but they styling is very current and I always liked the look.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:55 PM

A Jeep CJ10. We were at a car auction, and in the back of the parking lot was an old pickup truck with a trailer. Kind of a standard mid-80s pickup, until we noticed that the badge read CJ10, not the F150 we expected. Sure enough, the tailgate read "JEEP".
Old 09-21-2019, 07:52 PM

Yesterday I saw one of those late eighties SS Monte Carlos. Most of the ones I’ve seen were sort of a “maroon metallic” color as was this one. It looked showroom new.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
See any hood ornaments? How many doors?
There was a hood ornament that pointed outward, kind of like a curved isosceles right triangle with the longer leg on top, and with a couple of stacked rings on the portion of the ornament directly attached to the hood. As I recall, the car was a two-door model.

Today, I saw a gold-colored mid-1930's Ford coupe, customized but not quite to the point of being a hot rod. The car had been lowered, and the wheels stuck out farther than they would have when the vehicle rolled off the assembly line.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

An early 60's M-B 190, super cute.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:47 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

I visited the National Corvette Museum today. Sure, there were many great-looking 'vettes (including my favorite, the '67), but the most interesting model for me was the first fiberglass-bodied car, the 1946 Stout Y46.

Last edited by blondebear; 09-23-2019 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternvogel View Post
There was a hood ornament that pointed outward, kind of like a curved isosceles right triangle with the longer leg on top, and with a couple of stacked rings on the portion of the ornament directly attached to the hood. As I recall, the car was a two-door model.

Today, I saw a gold-colored mid-1930's Ford coupe, customized but not quite to the point of being a hot rod. The car had been lowered, and the wheels stuck out farther than they would have when the vehicle rolled off the assembly line.
Maybe this? 1936 Nash
Old 09-24-2019, 10:57 AM

A 1959 Nash Rambler; sitting in high grass.

The woman (early 30's?) we were talking to remember being in it in parades as a kid. When her dad died about seven years ago it was willed to her brother. It was going to be a project car for him to fix up. Sadly, it's been sitting on the side of the road on mom's property ever since.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
A 1959 Nash Rambler; sitting in high grass.

The woman (early 30's?) we were talking to remember being in it in parades as a kid. When her dad died about seven years ago it was willed to her brother. It was going to be a project car for him to fix up. Sadly, it's been sitting on the side of the road on mom's property ever since.
I think that tall grass will retain moisture and hold it against the body and undersides. Can't be good.

Yesterday I saw a nice Datsun 280ZX, and the day before I spotted a clean and nice Datsun 240Z. Those old Zs are gorgeous cars.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:04 AM

Was stuck behind a 2nd gen Nissan Sentra yesterday for a long while. Not so special of a car except it was in primo condition.

Based on the driver's way of "taking it easy", I could see how it stayed in such shape for this long.

Plus I have a special thing for late 80s boxes.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Headed the other way on the freeway yesterday evening, a light blue Karmann Ghia.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Was stuck behind a 2nd gen Nissan Sentra yesterday for a long while. Not so special of a car except it was in primo condition.
That is exactly the sort of car I find the most interesting. I mean it's not that uncommon for people to preserve or restore old muscle cars, sports cars, or cars that were otherwise considered "cool" when they were new. But almost no one does that with a 30 year old economy car*. So when I see one I always wonder how that one survived when most of them got used up and sent to the junkyard ages ago. Did it belong to a stereotypical "little old lady" who only drove it to church and the grocery store?

*I mean in California where cars never rust you often see 30 year old Corollas on the road, but they're old beaters, not cars that people carefully preserved.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Was stuck behind a 2nd gen Nissan Sentra yesterday for a long while.
Every time I hear 'Nissan Sentra', I think of the commercial.

New Nissan Sentra! You need this car!

Last edited by Johnny L.A.; 09-25-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
That is exactly the sort of car I find the most interesting. I mean it's not that uncommon for people to preserve or restore old muscle cars, sports cars, or cars that were otherwise considered "cool" when they were new. But almost no one does that with a 30 year old economy car*. So when I see one I always wonder how that one survived when most of them got used up and sent to the junkyard ages ago. Did it belong to a stereotypical "little old lady" who only drove it to church and the grocery store?
Yes, it was a LOL (in the old sense) and was presumably only driven for the basics.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
Maybe this? 1936 Nash
Could have been a Nash, but not that model -- as I said in my earlier post, the back was squared-off as in a station wagon. This 1937 Nash Lafayette is close, down to the color, but not quite a match. Also, this hood ornament is similar to, but more aerodynamic than, the one I saw. Since I'm in Lafayette, though, it would be cool for someone in the city to own a car that shares the name!
Old 09-25-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Yes, it was a LOL (in the old sense) and was presumably only driven for the basics.
She wasn't so old when that car was new.

Saw a Bentley Bentayga SUV parallel parked on the street. You'd think they'd spring for a garage.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:04 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Spotted in a car lot in White Sulfur Springs VA: a 1920's Ford delivery truck with a "1982 First Prize Winner" badge from the Antique Auto Club of America.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

In traffic I spotted a Lincoln Mark IV (early 70's), what an inelegant beast.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:18 PM

Caught a brief glimpse of what appeared to be an 80s-9os Corvette that somebody shortened or maybe cut down a Corvette body and installed on some kind of smaller chassis. It was being driven on the road but was missing doors. I'm guessing cutting down Corvette doors turned into a bigger challenge.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:34 PM

On the way home from work today I saw a white Triumph TR3, one of the later "TR3A" or "B" models with the full width grille. Immediately behind it was a red Triumph TR6. Both were waiting at a red light. I assume the drivers must have been out cruising around together; I can't imagine the chances of two classic Triumph roadsters just randomly being one behind the other being very high.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:35 PM

Tonight, a yellow Volkswagen Karmann Ghia convertible in the IN-N-Out burger parking lot.

Also, I'm pretty sure I saw the same TR3 I saw yesterday. I only got a brief glimpse as it passed me, though.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:23 AM

A 1953 Bentley "Blue Train" Recreation. A local restorer / enthusiast is selling one. His site, with ad and excellent photos, is here — https://canepa.com/photo-gallery/195...trainquot6091/.

She’s a beauty. This guy, Bruce Canepa, is a stickler for details and excellence, so I’m confident she runs very, very well.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:10 PM

Yesterday I saw a customized mid-1960s Chevy pickup. It was lowered, had white wall tires, and fender skirts over the rear wheels. I can't recall ever seeing fender skirts on a pickup before. It made for an interesting look, making the truck look much smoother from front to back. Combined with the lowered suspension it made it appear almost boat-like.

Quote:
It's not a car a saw recently, but that reminded me of this car I photographed almost two years to the day prior to ftg's post. Is this not the most pristine first generation Sentra you've ever seen? I spotted it parked in front of a retirement home while out for a bike ride, and had to stop for a closer look. The location does give credit to the "old lady" theory. While the paint is perfect, the black plastic and rubber parts show signs of age, which makes me wonder if it had been recently repainted. But who puts that kind of money into a 30 year old econobox? The interior appears to be in similarly good condition.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
It's not a car a saw recently, but that reminded me of this car I photographed almost two years to the day prior to ftg's post. Is this not the most pristine first generation Sentra you've ever seen? I spotted it parked in front of a retirement home while out for a bike ride, and had to stop for a closer look. The location does give credit to the "old lady" theory. While the paint is perfect, the black plastic and rubber parts show signs of age, which makes me wonder if it had been recently repainted. But who puts that kind of money into a 30 year old econobox? The interior appears to be in similarly good condition.
But as Spiderman pointed out, 30 years ago the driver probably wasn't all that old. So it's probably just the way these people drove and took care of their cars.

As to the rubber/plastic. Yeah, I had that problem on my 1987 Mazda 323 that I kept for over 25 years. The Armour-All type stuff would make it look good ... for a couple days. Watching the stuff just get sucked into the bumpers was amazing.

Although I patched up dings and scratches, it looked nowhere as good as these.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:05 PM

A Taurus SHO. I haven't seen one in a couple of years.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:02 PM

On my way home from Edmonton, a chocolate brown and white skirted Laguna SS like this but in much better shape.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:41 PM

There's a big conference/convention center next door to where I work. This morning there was a Porsche 914 on a trailer parked out front. I'm guessing there must be some sort of car show going on at the conference center today.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:39 PM

On the way home tonight I saw a second generation (91-96) Ford Escort GT. Perhaps not a particularly special car, but I haven't actually seen one on the road in ages.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:55 AM

A 1941 Dodge WC pickup truck.

ETA: pictures here — https://imgur.com/gallery/WG2fqwR

Last edited by Bullitt; 10-02-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:59 AM

I saw a Volvo 544 (I think that was the model number) It looked to be an early 196??? model.