Old 09-20-2019, 01:38 AM

It looks like a perfectly on-point response to the last part of what Telemark posted in the quote. What's wrong with it?
Old 09-20-2019, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
It looks like a perfectly on-point response to the last part of what Telemark posted in the quote. What's wrong with it?
I agree, I think it's part of the discussion.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:07 AM

Stallman sent this email to the GNU programmers' mailing list last night, a copy of what he sent to the FSF board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Stallman
To the FSF board,

I hereby resign as president of the Free Software Foundation and from
its board of directors. I am doing this due to pressure on the
Foundation and me over a series of misunderstandings and
mischaracterizations of what I have said.

Richard Stallman

I continue to be the Chief GNUisance.
It seems to me that he is still not acknowledging that he's done anything wrong.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
It seems to me that he is still not acknowledging that he's done anything wrong.
That would be consistent with his past.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Did you mean to quote a different post? Maybe one in a different thread?
Yes. Correct post. Correct thread.

In hindsight, a kneejerk not-all-IT-professionals response sounds kinda lame. It's still not clear to me what I did to create the horror that is Richard Stallman but if the point is, "don't aid and abet your co-workers' asshole-ishness" then I don't have a real disagreement with Telemark.

I was wrong in MPSIMS. Someone tell that guy in the pit.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74westy View Post
It's still not clear to me what I did to create the horror that is Richard Stallman but if the point is, "don't aid and abet your co-workers' asshole-ishness" then I don't have a real disagreement with Telemark.
I'm sure we're pretty much in agreement on most things related to this. It has been my experience over my 30+ years in the software business that most male engineers are content not rocking the boat and a few bad apples have contributed to an occasionally toxic environment. I'm just conscious of calling out colleagues when they do stuff that I would have previously let pass without comment.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
... Some things I noticed (it's really long):
I read your excerpts.

As Stallman been diagnosed with some sort of autism? Or other clinical condition in the DSM?

Last edited by septimus; 09-27-2019 at 03:35 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker Above View Post
I've worked a hotel that occasionally had events with paid speakers. The organizers for those events would usually pass along (part) of the speaker's rider. In my experience the only really odd thing about the accommodations section of his rider is preferring non-hotel rooms and writing it in the first person.

Most riders I saw specified things like temperature, brand preferences, room types/amenities, and instructions for staff on how to communicate with the speaker (usually something along the lines of "run all issues/problems through their assistant, here's the speaker's preferred title, and no phone calls to the room").
And the weird parts of the rider seemed to be related to his preference for “couch-surfing” (as long as the couch is in a room with a door he can lock). Because then you have to get into things like don’t wake me for breakfast, don’t hover around me too much, if you cook for me these are the foods I hate, don’t invite a bunch of people over to meet me without asking me, I can cross the damn street without your help, thank you, etc etc.

My take is that he doesn’t really like staying with real people. He has a fantasy about how great it would be to stay with mythical people that behave the way he would like them to at all times and never annoy him. And he’s never found that but he keeps trying. He should just stay at hotels instead of chasing that dragon.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
He should just stay at hotels instead of chasing that dragon.
But then the government would have his name. It’s a Catch-22.

I recently had an encounter with someone claiming to be an ex-security and intelligence agent of some kind. He offered much wisdom about how all the internet companies are turning over all your information to the government.

I refrained from telling him that while all of that might be true there’s a point at which tHe conveniences you avoid to keep your one chapter of a fantasy fiction story out of the hands of the government has diminishing returns.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
I refrained from telling him that while all of that might be true there’s a point at which tHe conveniences you avoid to keep your one chapter of a fantasy fiction story out of the hands of the government has diminishing returns.
I always shop at Target so they will think I like Target, in reality I'm just neutral about that company.