Old 08-06-2019, 05:32 PM

Meet Bob

I'll give you the TL;DR before I go off on a tear.

I'll be picking up my new dog, Bob the Dog, from the pound on Thursday afternoon after work. He is a Shepherd/Mastiff mix, but he's not really that big. He's about a year old - they're not entirely sure, so he'll probably fill out a little, but I don't think he's going to grow much bigger than he already is. I could be wrong. He's really sweet, very polite when I met him and again when I played with him this afternoon. He seems very inquisitive and smart so I'm hoping I got winner.

So, here's the deal. I've been having a tough decade. No real relationships to speak of, rotating jobs, depression, anger all culminating in the last few years of panic attacks which even included a fun episode where I passed out while I was driving (no one got hurt and nothing got damaged). This is the year I finally decided to do something about it, so for the last three months I've been seeing a therapist and for the last two months I've been taking Lexipro for anxiety. Things have been looking slightly up for me in terms of mind-set. I've definitely calmed down, and through coping techniques and the drugs, I've figured out how to not let my emotions get the better of me.

One of my major problems has been lack of traction. I talk a good game but when push comes to shove I never get anything done. So this all came up within the last few weeks. Oh, I've been pissing and moaning about wanting to get a dog ever since I moved into my house, with my huge back yard, but I've let myself be talked out of it - either by myself and my anxieties, or allowing someone else to fill me full of doubts about it. So this week I decided to grab the dog by the NeuticalsTM. I've been surfing rescue sites and Humane Center sites and there were a few dogs who really looked like what I was looking for - a smaller, medium energy dog who has a little social skills already. The rescue sites seemed out of the question. Listen, I understand you want your dogs to go to a good home, but how much I'm willing to spend on a medical emergency or what I plan to do with him if I go on vacation is really none of their goddamned business.

My last ditch effort was to go look at this older dog at the Greater Portland Animal Refuge League (the pound), but she was a little too old and too frail and too willing to kill cats. And I just tripped across Bob. Most of the dogs there were pretty well mannered in their kennels but he just seemed so chill but inquisitive that he just grabbed me. So ... Bob is going to be my Therapy Dog. I already have Mort my Therapy Cat, and hope I can get them to get along (Mort's a chill guy too - shouldn't be a problem).

His name at the pound was Humvee, but that's a ridiculous name.

Bob. Bob the Dog.
(only pics I have so far up top, shitty hosting too - sorry)
Old 08-06-2019, 05:54 PM

Oh, I'm already in love with Bob. I hope he's as perfect for you as he seems.
I have a Bob of my own. He's a perfect rascal, but I adore him.
Keep us informed, Jack.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:55 PM

Dbl. post

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 08-06-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:02 PM

Congratulations on making so much progress emotionally. Bob's a gorgeous dog! That tail looks like it will clear off any low tables. I hope the three of you are very happy together.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations on finding a new companion. Dogs are great. I hope you have a great time together.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:30 PM

Bob looks cool. Good on you for taking a non-puppy. I hope all 3 of you have good times together.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

He's gorgeous! May you have a long and happy life together.

StG
Old 08-06-2019, 10:23 PM

Bob is adorbs and I know JUST what you mean about the "rescues," the gatekeeping is insane and the "rehoming fees" exorbitant. I've been looking for a cattle dog bro or sis for Shoga--Bear is old and cranky and doesn't play and she really craves company she can race around with. I've dealt with two rescues now and they've both been absolute bullshit. So I looked around and this weekend I'm going to go look at a litter of red heeler pups and if I like one I'm going to do something I haven't done since the early '80s, I'm going to BUY a PUPPY. And screw all those snippy assholes and their "rescues." It's no wonder backyard breeders are flourishing.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:05 AM

Congrats on the new companion and good on ya for taking charge of yourself and your life.
I agree with the sentiment about the money making blatantly for profit "rescue" organizations.
I've been considering a dog myself lately. When I checked with a couple of local rescue orgs,,, well piss on em, I'm not trying to adopt an AKC registered dog or a cat with a platinum plated pedigree.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:06 AM

Dbl post

Last edited by DorkVader; 08-07-2019 at 03:08 AM.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:29 AM
Charter Member

I like Bob.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:12 AM

My biggest problem with the rescue organizations boils down to a line I keep using. They insist on a home visit before adoption and I'm just not prepared for someone to tell me that my house isn't good enough for a dog they found eating garbage in the sewer.

Last edited by Jack Batty; 08-07-2019 at 04:13 AM.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
My biggest problem with the rescue organizations boils down to a line I keep using. They insist on a home visit before adoption and I'm just not prepared for someone to tell me that my house isn't good enough for a dog they found eating garbage in the sewer.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Hi Bob! Hi! Yes! I'm so happy to meet you! What a beautiful boy you are, oh my goodness.

Congratulations, Jack! Thanks for introducing me to your dog.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
I volunteer for a shelter. We are happy to let anyone in the door who is interested at adopting. There are expenses involved in getting dogs and cats ready to be adopted.
Mostly vet costs. There are 2 vets that volunteer their services, here.
The adoption fees can be waived or reduced.
That business about home visits is just stoopid, IMHO. If a dog needs a forever home and a person shows interest our shelter tries to make it happen.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:15 AM

In ID the rescue orgs are separate from, independent of and seem to actively avoid and discourage much, if any, association with the Humane Society, the Idaho Humane Society (no affiliation). ASPCA maybe in a few cases. The Humane Society doesn't have much presence in Idaho as we have the Idaho Humane Society thet runs the local shelter. Those folks are pretty awwsome.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:27 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

We've had mixed experiences with rescue groups. The one in FL wanted to know if we already had pets at home and what vet we used, and I thought those were reasonable questions. This county's animal welfare league asked similar questions when I adopted my cat at Petco. Two other rescues we'd gotten were run by individuals and they had us come to their homes to meet the cats and I'm sure they were watching how we interacted with them.

The worst, tho, was a Siamese cat rescue. They had a long application form, including a page that had to be filled out by the vet, and they wanted to do a home visit and periodic checks after adoption. We didn't want to deal with that idiocy.

Enough hijacking - Bob sounds like a great dog! I'm sure you'll be very happy together!
Old 08-07-2019, 10:31 AM

I've got no problem with paying a fee to a shelter. Running the shelters costs money; and you generally get a dog/cat that's been spayed/neutered, wormed, and at least partly inoculated, all of which would probably have cost me at least as much as the shelter's fee if I had to do it myself. And I've got no problem with being asked for a vet.'s recommendation. I suppose I could stand a home visit, if it were by advance appointment; and if they'd bring the dog with them I'd be in favor of it, because I could see how the dog acted here, and towards the one cat who would probably show up rather than hide when a strange human and a strange dog were both present.

What I do have a problem with -- and currently it's a sizeable problem -- is flat out rules that they'll never give a dog (or cat) to someone who's going to let it run off leash and outside a fence. I live on an 80 acre farm on a very low traffic road. My cats/dogs spend the night inside the house (coyote) and also are inside as much as they please, and sometimes if they don't please, in bad weather. My indoor/outdoor cats nearly always live into their late teens, sometimes into their twenties; my most recent dog died in her midteens after two years of insulin shots. And I need the dog to run loose, not only because I can't run fast enough to properly exercise a dog of the type I want on a leash, but also because I need the dog to chase woodchucks out of the fields.

Nobody around here is selling medium sized dogs. Lots of little dogs, some large ones. I need a dog big not to be in danger from a woodchuck or raccoon, and small enough that I can expect to be able to pick the dog up when it's an old dog and I'm an even older human. I don't want to have to go a day's drive to pick up a dog I've never even met before, let alone have one shipped in. It's a problem.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:

His name at the pound was Humvee, but that's a ridiculous name.

Bob. Bob the Dog.
(only pics I have so far up top, shitty hosting too - sorry)
I had a great dog named Bob (also a rescue) The best thing about a dog named Bob is you can call him Bob Barker.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:48 AM

Bob is the perfect height for counter cruising.

Best wishes.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:57 AM

Love that Bob! My late gelding of 28 years old was named Bob. Bob is a righteous name. I wish you many years of happiness together. P.S. Bob is a palindrome name, like Otto.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
I had a great dog named Bob (also a rescue) The best thing about a dog named Bob is you can call him Bob Barker.
Someone pointed that out to me today; I hadn't thought of it before.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:21 PM

Yay Bob!

He looks like a great buddy! Chill enough to hang out, and eager enough to learn and take on adventures with you. What a sweet boy.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:59 PM

Hi, Bob!

::drinks::
Old 08-07-2019, 04:48 PM

Here's a watermarkless pic of Bob Sits from my Twitter feed, if that sort of thing works for non-Twitterers.

Bob Sits.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:10 AM

Awesome, I hope you two have a great time.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

No, No Bob - you're not doing it right!

Paws on the counter is Bad Dog, just like paws on the table. That's not how you get yummy treats. You get yummy treats by Sitting and looking Extremely Adorable and Hungry. The hoomans find it irresistible if you cock your head and turn on the Cuteness Beacon. It sometimes helps to let out a low whimper, as if you are weak from famine and deprivation.

Trust me - it works!

Regards,
Leet the Wonder DogTM
Old 08-08-2019, 06:38 PM

Not what I pictured from the description, but very handsome. Just don't let him go to the store.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:55 PM

Bob's home. There's good and bad to report. Wow, he's got some energy; that'll be a challenge. So, he listens pretty well. He seems to know sit, and stay relatively well - under a controlled situation - my kitchen. I just got him to not cross the line into the kitchen while I made dinner just by looking at him. That's good. He seems to be completely house trained. I wasn't planning on taking him out again until later on, trying to establish a schedule, but he just looked like he wanted to go ... took him out, he promptly peed and then found a nice spot for a shit. Good boy.

The bad ... the meeting with Mort did not go well. There were injuries involved. Mine. Mort sunk his goddmaned fang into my finger so hard. Christ, it looked like professional wrestling match in here.

Essentially, first meeting was Mort in is carrier crate and Bob sniffing around. There was some hissing and growling but Bob took direction well and backed down. Then while Bob was distracted I took Mort out and was holding him and everything seemed fine until I got down to Bob level and there was that energy I spoke of. I managed to get Bob by the scruff of his neck and Mort ran down stairs. Now I have a kitty door in the door to the basement so Mort can run down there anytime he wants and Bob can't follow. Unfortunately, Mort can also come up whenever he likes. He slinked back up while Bob was lazing on his new dog bed. I saw Mort and calmly picked him up to keep him safe but Bob saw him and it was fucking on! I got Mort with two hands and my knee in Bob's side, twirling around trying to control the situation, my glasses flying off my face. Finally Mort's had enough and he scratches the shit out of me and chomps down on my pinky finger and he was off. I just managed to grab Bob and get him down on his side and calmed him down. But I was bleeding like a stuck pig from my finger. It's all over the wall, it's all over the floor, it's all over Bob.

Why didn't anyone tell me dog ownership would be this much fun?

By the way, what's a good free photo host? Photobucket sucks.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:17 PM

I believe they'll calm down when the new wears off. Never wise to hold onto a cat when they're miffed. Let Mort take it at his own pace. Concentrate on keeping Bob calm when Mort is moving about.
Bob sounds like a high energy fellow. My Bob is similar. Can't stop when he gets started!! Then he collapses in a heap. Smiling.
Good luck!
Old 08-08-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
By the way, what's a good free photo host? Photobucket sucks.
Bob sounds like a very good dog indeed. My dogs required more than a look to get them to respect the kitchen.

I used flickr and like it. No ads.

I think if Mort wants to come out and see Bob again, it's a good sign. Let Mort set the pace. Rather than grabbing Mort, if you feel like Bob is being too rough, I would suggest having Bob on a leash. Mort will clear out if he needs to, and you can keep Bob from chasing him. You can let Bob drag his leash around with him, if you don't want to hold him at all times. Then you can step on it, or quickly grab it as needed. As long as you're present, it should be safe for him to drag it around.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Bob sounds like a very good dog indeed. My dogs required more than a look to get them to respect the kitchen.

I used flickr and like it. No ads.

I think if Mort wants to come out and see Bob again, it's a good sign. Let Mort set the pace. Rather than grabbing Mort, if you feel like Bob is being too rough, I would suggest having Bob on a leash. Mort will clear out if he needs to, and you can keep Bob from chasing him. You can let Bob drag his leash around with him, if you don't want to hold him at all times. Then you can step on it, or quickly grab it as needed. As long as you're present, it should be safe for him to drag it around.
Yes to clipping a drag lead on Bob so you can quck grab him him as needed. We put a drag lead on our Shep when he gets squirrelly, and he goes right into 'what do you want' mode.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:04 PM

Holding a frightened or angry cat is a bad idea. They want freedom of movement if they feel threatened.

Looks like letting Bob loose around Mort is also a bad idea, at least to start with. But restrain the dog, not the cat. It'll go over better (and be a lot easier to actually accomplish.) And don't ever push the cat closer to the dog than he's comfortable with.

Do not leave them alone with each other until/unless you're sure Bob won't attack Mort. That's a big dog, and one bite could be too many.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:40 AM

Painful lesson learned. I never was that much of a cat person. I've always treated Mort like a dog. So, anyhoo, cat door is secured. Mort has his own two room apartment downstairs to himself. I went down this morning to apologize to him and he was still a little miffed. First time he's ever hissed at me. But we made nice. He'll be fine. I'll go slower with this.

Bob continues to impress me, or at least fills me with hope that he'll be a good one. I won't say he's learned "down" but I got him to do it twice on command for treats - I'll keep working on that. I'm thinking full on tricks won't be far away. He did well with his first session of crate training. It was only about ten minutes, but he laid down and kept busy with his kibble-filled Kong. No whining. But he was starting to look a little antsy so i let him out while we were still in a positive place. We'll continue later. I've got until Monday to nail it down with him.

He slept right next to me on the bed with his chin on my chest.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:42 AM

Bob's keeping me busy and he's had an exciting couple of days of freedom. Last night I brought him over to my sister's house for a BBQ and to meet her dogs and that went very well. She's got two little ill-mannered yippy terriers and I was afraid Willow, the more hyper one, would be a problem, but she loved Bob. She was all smiley and cooing and wanting his attention. Bob dealt with her well. Martin had a bit of an attitude. There was a prolonged period of staring and testing, but again, Bob handled it well, ignoring Martin completely when he started bothering him. By the end of the night they were dealing with each other well too. There was a puppy there too last night. A little, idunno, 4 or 5 month old black lab-or-another. So I'm glad to report that dog-socialization skills already have a leg up.

More crate training this morning. He did pretty well, for about a half-hour but I was sitting right there next to him. That's my biggest worry. I want to make sure he's good to go for Monday, I'm just afraid he's not going to be ready and I get the feeling that if he want's out of that crate, he'll figure it out eventually.

As for Mort, still persona-non-grata in the basement. I go down and apologize to him profusely several times a day and I think he might be on the cusp of forgiving me.

Anyway ... here are some better pics.

Bob's Goofy Face

Barrymore-esque Bob
Bob in Repose
Old 08-10-2019, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

That one picture where Bob is looking out the window makes me think "Not unless they've learned to open doors"

I can just tell Bob is a sweetie. Congrats on getting a dog! I love having my Mauser.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:40 PM

Bob's first visit to the dog park. First of all, kick ass dog park that I didn't even know existed until today. I met some cool people and Bob had a good time. This video was shot after he'd already performed his wind-sprints - we'd been there for maybe a half hour at the time.

Bob Dog Park
Old 08-10-2019, 04:47 PM

Oops, looks like that's just the thumbnail. I'll see what I can do.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:50 PM

This one?
Old 08-10-2019, 05:03 PM

He's a very good boy!!
Old 08-10-2019, 05:58 PM

It looks like he's settling right in. Dog parks are awesome. I love watching the dogs play.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:05 PM

Bob is a handsome fellow!

I think Mort will grow to love playing with Bob's Tail

Bob's tail? At Xmas, I would resist the urge to put Bells on Bob's Tail, even though the ringing might make spirits bright.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:24 PM

A message to Bob from our old cattle dog/ beagle mix Ginger: Don't bug the cat. I almost got returned for that. It's a good thing I overheard one of my people on the phone saying it wasn't working out. I cut it out right away, and nobody better mess with my cats now. You're a good dog; you'll figure it out.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
There's a lot of ass-sniffing in that video. A LOT of ass-sniffing.

Looks like Bob made some friends.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:29 PM

It's great to see Bob settling in and going out for his first adventures from his new home. Jack Batty, you're doing good work and will be well rewarded by great big sloppy waves of doggy love that I'm sure you're already receiving!

And thanks for the heartwarming pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post
There's a lot of ass-sniffing in that video. A LOT of ass-sniffing.

Think of it as hand- paw-shaking and small talk. All good, neighborly stuff!

Last edited by wolfpup; 08-10-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Think of it as hand- paw-shaking and small talk. All good, neighborly stuff!
Well, as a wolf pup, you'd know!

There's not really anything like a dog park where I live, so dogs tend to meet unfamiliar dogs on much smaller scale. It's absolutely delightful and fascinating to see how they interact as a larger group.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post
It's absolutely delightful and fascinating to see how they interact as a larger group.
It's much the same way that they interact in a smaller group.* The main difference is that in a park there's a lot of running and chasing, very much like children playing.**

--

* Ass-sniffing is a featured activity.

** "A dog is like an eternal Peter Pan, a child who never grows old and who therefore is always available to love and be loved." - Aaron Katcher
Old 08-10-2019, 10:19 PM

Bob is the greatest!!

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 08-10-2019 at 10:19 PM. Reason: PFS♡
Old 08-11-2019, 12:41 AM

Congratulations to both you and Bob! He seems quite the handsome, friendly fellow - except for Mort.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peedin View Post
Love that Bob! My late gelding of 28 years old was named Bob. Bob is a righteous name. I wish you many years of happiness together. P.S. Bob is a palindrome name, like Otto.
And, for a pet dog, a better palindromic name than say, I Love Me Vol. I