Old 08-24-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
I swear sometimes I think he understands English. Or he reads me really well. Yesterday I was making a sandwich in the kitchen and he was sniffing around my plate and, almost absentmindedly, I muttered, "Bob, back off," and he took two steps back and laid down. Amazing. Just now he was sniffing around me and being a bit of a pest - I'd just brought all of his toys but I forgot his Kong filled with kibble in his crate, and again, almost off-handed I said, "Where's your kibble-Kong; go get your kibble-Kong," and he turned, walked directly into his room and returned with his Kong. He's slobbering over it on his bed right now.
Dogs -- especially the smarter ones -- do eventually acquire a surprising vocabulary, but they are also incredibly attuned to our tone of voice and our emotions. In effect dogs' comprehension is a combination of verbal understanding and mind reading!

Sometimes when speaking to mine I would look at him and say "Would you like ..." which would cause him to instantly stop what he was doing and stare at me in wide-eyed expectation, and when I concluded with "... go for a walk?" he would launch into the Doggy Dance of Joy.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:49 AM

I finally got my lawn mowed this morning and as such we have discovered Bob's mortal enemy - the lawn mower. I had him tied on a short lead on the deck so he couldn't get to the lawn but he could get in to the back door into the garage. He started barking the minute I fired that thing up and didn't stop until I turned it off. He had a couple spells of getting tired of barking and he would wander into the garage, but I think it was only to get a drink of water so he could come back out and start barking again. When I was mowing close to the deck I could look over to him and snap my fingers and get half hearted shut-up and look from him, but it would only last ten or twenty seconds until he was off again. When I was done and wheeled the mower back into the garage he went right after it, biting the wheel and dragging it. I nipped that in the bud and actually had a bit of a fruitful session of getting him to relax on his side and calm down right next to it. He was still pretty hyper when we came inside, though.

This will definitely be another work in progress, though not a frequent one - I won't have to mow again for a while.

Now he's completely zonked out on the living room floor.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:19 PM

My pocket pets (little dogs) are so scared of the vacuum cleaner. The Yorkie pees herself. The Beagle hides her head under the couch. The rest of her won't fit.
I only have carpet upstairs so I don't vac enough to get them used to it. Lets not even discuss what the Siamese do on vac day.
Bob is acting normally. He don't want his favorite guy close to that mean ol' monster mower!
ETA, listen close and you can tell the difference between his barks. A warning bark, a scared bark, a happy bark.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 08-25-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:46 PM

I love Bob. Please keep posting photos! Just looking at his goofy grin makes me smile, and it sounds like he's already working his magic on your psyche. So glad he picked you!
Old 08-25-2019, 01:08 PM

I would like more Bob pictures too. He sounds like a Very Good BoyTM
Old 08-25-2019, 04:01 PM

Ok. Some pics I literally just took. I tried to do some me and Bob selfies, so here's what I got. They're a bit blurry and I feel I must explain that A) I've been up since 6am, I've taken Bob on two mile-and-a-half walks, I've mowed the lawn ... and I haven't taken a shower yet and 2) I look like a bit of a dope in the non-licky picture because I was concentrating on getting the picture snapped and that is the limit of the breadth of my abilities. Enjoy.

Selfie-Lick
Selfie
Old 08-25-2019, 04:41 PM

Cute couple! Love the lick.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Mort is getting a little more anxious to see what's going on upstairs but he's still not in a mood to walk through that cat door yet. Bob is getting much better about respecting the door itself and later on I'm going to put him through a few paces respecting the actual space downstairs before I even bring Mort into the equation. My goal for the evening is just to have Bob laying down politely ignoring Mort, who will be in his crate.
I wouldn't put Mort in a crate and leave Bob loose, if that's what you mean. I'd keep Bob in the crate or on leash and let Mort come to him, if he wants to. Mort really needs to feel that he's in charge of the situation.

And I would definitely not try to carry Mort into a room with Bob in it in order to put Mort in a crate -- or, at this point, for any other reason. But Mort may have gotten that one across to you already.

You could try crating Bob and coaxing Mort upstairs with treats.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:01 PM

Bob and I had a pretty good weekend. I had a couple issues with his distraction on walks, but he's getting better. I'm starting to figure out a good routine, based on his energy level. I think taking him for a long walk right out of the crate is a bit of a fool's game because he is way to amped to walk politely. I get frustrated and end walking like fifty feet and stopping, fifty feet and stopping, not that he's out of control, just walking in front of me and I don't want him to do that.

Today after work, he stayed calmly in his room for about a half an hour while I checked on Mort who's spending a little more time upstairs while Bob is in his room, but he's still more than willing to stay downstairs most of the time. Slow and steady. It'll work out. After I sprung Bob, I took him for a quick pee in the back yard and walk down to his poopy spot and then I got him fed. Afterward we went into the back yard and played for about a half hour. Then he relaxed in the grass with a bone while I made myself a turkey-burger. Once he was inside on his bed, nice and calm, gnawing on a chewy, I took him for a mile-and-a-halfer and he did great. There was a rogue dog that dragged his owner trying to get to Bob and it looked like Bob would have been up for a go, but he was easy enough to hold back and get to sit. Bob was pretty alert when he saw the dog, but I don't think he triggered anything. We walked past three other dogs in yards on the walk with nary a hitch. So, good Bob. This routine seems to work with his energy level so far. I can't get to the dog park as often as I'd like so back yard play-time is key.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:50 PM

New Bob video: The Majestic Shepherd/Mastiff Mix.

(let me know if that link doesn't work - I'm still a little Flickr ignorant)
Old 08-27-2019, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

He looks a lot like a Rhodesian ridgeback! What a handsome boy!

StG
Old 08-27-2019, 08:29 PM

Good boy, Bob.
He looks great in the picture.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:59 PM

I am in love with your dog. He's a very good boy.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
You just back off there, Ms.Sunny, I saw him first!
Old 08-28-2019, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

It's nice, after reading all the depressing news of the day, to come in here and see sweet Bob playing with a ball.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
So, you kickin' Ted to the curb?
Old 08-28-2019, 01:35 PM

Count me among Bob's legion fans. Love the video. Did I hear you call him Bobby Orr?
Old 08-31-2019, 03:32 PM

Bobby-Boy! It does sound like Bobby Orr in my dog dialect, I suppose.

Bob's still doing well, steadily better with a ways to go toward ideal. This morning's walk was a B-. He got distracted and it took me a little while to get him back on track. I've been doing this thing on a walk where if he starts to tug, or gets distracted at something, I stop and get him to sit and try to get him to look at me before we take off again. I think it's working. This afternoon's walk was a solid A. Except for a ten second flip out over a cat in a driveway, it would have been an A+. Not really a flip out, I mean I could keep walking at my pace and have him come along, but he twirled and walked backwards and wanted to go back and see the cat ... who looked friendly, he was just ambling up the driveway toward us - in retrospect, I should have used that cat as my guinea pig to see how calm I could have got Bob, but we were in ninth inning of a perfect game, so to speak. I only gave up a hit, I didn't want to give up a tater. Sports analogies notwithstanding, I digress.

Here's a picture of Bob dreaming that he's Jerry Garcia.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
So, you kickin' Ted to the curb?
I'm seeing other dogs, but Ted is the king.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:30 AM

Say, here's a dog behavior that I'm curious about. Here's the thing, I make no judgements and I respect any living being's right to live the way that he or she chooses, but, um, Bob pees like a girl. He just squats and lets loose - about half the time peeing all over his front paw if he's really got to go. Will he start lifting his leg as he gets older? Is there something I can do to encourage him to do it or do I just live with the shame ... I mean judgement-free contentment of him squat-peeing?
Old 09-01-2019, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Well, Jack, you might check out flatlined's comments in this thread (post 19 and later) about her dog who is being tutored by a cat and who only pees in the litter box. Could be worse.

Last edited by kayT; 09-01-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Say, here's a dog behavior that I'm curious about. Here's the thing, I make no judgements and I respect any living being's right to live the way that he or she chooses, but, um, Bob pees like a girl. He just squats and lets loose - about half the time peeing all over his front paw if he's really got to go. Will he start lifting his leg as he gets older? Is there something I can do to encourage him to do it or do I just live with the shame ... I mean judgement-free contentment of him squat-peeing?
Some dogs lift their leg, some dogs don't. I've had males who rarely bother and females who did it all the time.

Out of an excess of caution, next time you take him to the vet, you might ask the vet to check his hips. Not lifting *might* be an indication of hip trouble.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Bobby-Boy! It does sound like Bobby Orr in my dog dialect, I suppose.

Bob's still doing well, steadily better with a ways to go toward ideal. This morning's walk was a B-. He got distracted and it took me a little while to get him back on track. I've been doing this thing on a walk where if he starts to tug, or gets distracted at something, I stop and get him to sit and try to get him to look at me before we take off again. I think it's working. This afternoon's walk was a solid A. Except for a ten second flip out over a cat in a driveway, it would have been an A+. Not really a flip out, I mean I could keep walking at my pace and have him come along, but he twirled and walked backwards and wanted to go back and see the cat ... who looked friendly, he was just ambling up the driveway toward us - in retrospect, I should have used that cat as my guinea pig to see how calm I could have got Bob, but we were in ninth inning of a perfect game, so to speak. I only gave up a hit, I didn't want to give up a tater. Sports analogies notwithstanding, I digress.

Here's a picture of Bob dreaming that he's Jerry Garcia.
I can just see him twirling and walking backwards. Bobby-boy just wanted to play with purty kitty. You were wise not to stop, he might've gotten a swat on the nose. That would've turned him against all cats. How is Mort doing?
Old 09-01-2019, 11:15 AM

Mort is still a little put out, but I've been doing some exercises with Bob to get things rolling. While Bob is in his room during the day, the cat door is open so Mort can come upstairs as much as he likes. I don't know how much he does, however. This weekend we've been running some drills where I have Mort in one room in the basement with a closed door, and I lead Bob down (once he can calmly walk down stairs (which is the biggest challenge so far, but he's getting it)) and let him sniff around for a while and get used to Mort's scent. I've done it a few times, so Bob's been in both of Mort's rooms. Once he relaxes down there, I bring him back upstairs and try to get him to ignore the cat door as well as I can. Which he does with a little encouragement. I don't have to "No" him, I just have to say, "Come on Bob," and he leaves it alone.

Next step is to bring Mort up while Bob is secured. Once I can get Bob to calm down I'll let Mort do what he wants - which I'm betting will be running back downstairs, but he'll be safe regardless. I'm pretty sure if I repeat these exercises I'll eventually get them at least used to each other, if not liking each other.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Looks like Bob Dog has a YouTube channel, and he's looking for work.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Mort is still a little put out, but I've been doing some exercises with Bob to get things rolling. While Bob is in his room during the day, the cat door is open so Mort can come upstairs as much as he likes. I don't know how much he does, however. This weekend we've been running some drills where I have Mort in one room in the basement with a closed door, and I lead Bob down (once he can calmly walk down stairs (which is the biggest challenge so far, but he's getting it)) and let him sniff around for a while and get used to Mort's scent. I've done it a few times, so Bob's been in both of Mort's rooms. Once he relaxes down there, I bring him back upstairs and try to get him to ignore the cat door as well as I can. Which he does with a little encouragement. I don't have to "No" him, I just have to say, "Come on Bob," and he leaves it alone.

Next step is to bring Mort up while Bob is secured. Once I can get Bob to calm down I'll let Mort do what he wants - which I'm betting will be running back downstairs, but he'll be safe regardless. I'm pretty sure if I repeat these exercises I'll eventually get them at least used to each other, if not liking each other.
Slow and easy wins the race. Good dog, Bob.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peedin View Post
Love that Bob! My late gelding of 28 years old was named Bob. Bob is a righteous name. I wish you many years of happiness together. P.S. Bob is a palindrome name, like Otto.
And what is Otto spelled inside out?

Toot!
Old 09-02-2019, 12:17 PM

A quick Bob update. He's learning how to push my buttons and I experienced the first bout of uncontrollable zoomies last night. This past weekend, a number of times, he's gotten really pushy in wanting to play. He'll be perfectly calm laying on the floor and if I get up to get a glass of water or find the remote or anything he starts jumping up on me and when I correct him he starts barking at me. I can get him to sit, even lay down and relax, but it only takes a few seconds for him to go back to nuts. It's happened maybe four or five times over the weekend, which is concerning. I'd really like to nip this shit in the bud.

Last night he was doing that shit and there was no stopping him. He ended up doing crazy-ass windsprints between the kitchen and the living room - a distance of about fifteen feet. I just let him go until he knocked something over. It was still light outside so we went out back and played ball for a little while and that seemed to do the trick, but damn, I can't have that happening too often either. And it's not like he wasn't exercised - he's had at least 4 miles worth of walks and two other ball-playing sessions. I guess I have to keep an eye on his energy building up like that. I mean, it's a shitty thing to say, but I'm starting to look forward to work tomorrow so I can get a little break from him. At least I know he's cool in his room all day.

Operation Mort is not going well. Bob can be calm enough if I bring him to Mort, but as soon as I secure him and open the basement door, he starts going nuts and it's hard to get him calm. I managed it, after about twenty minutes and I went down and got Mort, but as soon as stepped through the door with him Bob started barking and play bowing and Mort said, fuck this, and bolted back downstairs. I'll keep trying. It may be a while - I think I'm going to have to keep working on Bob's calmness and comfortability around here before I solve this.

Oh, and here's another piece of his evil genius. He has discovered the joy of digging for moles in the back yard. He just figured it out this weekend and now I've got three pretty decent pits started in the back yard. Now, if he starts digging and I say, "Bob, no!" he'll stop, and pretty much leave it alone for a little while until it strikes his fancy again, but then he does this thing where he'll drop his ball in the hole and then look at me as if to say, "I'm not digging, I'm just trying to get my ball," but he's not fooling anybody.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:34 PM

On the digging, is it warm where you are? Often dogs will dig because the dirt they pull up is a lot cooler than regular ground or lawn. Annoying as hell though.

Keep up the stories and photos. I caught myself saying, Dawwww!, at seeing him sacked out next to the door. Mine would do something similar with laying in the doorway.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

I think taking him out to play when he gets rambunctious will only teach him to act wild so you take him out for a play session. I think it would be better to confine him immediately until he settles. Hopefully he'll associate wild behavior with being confined and learn to control himself.

StG
Old 09-02-2019, 12:57 PM

I thought of that, but I was concerned about making his room a place of punishment. I want him to be happy when he's in there. Then again, I think he just tolerates that room. It's where he eats so he's more than happy to go in there and when I throw his Kong in his crate he'll willingly go in there to get it, but when he knows when I'm trying to get him to stay in there and he'll either balk at coming in or break for the door as I start to close it. It's not an uncontrollable thing - I basically push him back and get him to sit and tell him to wait as I'm closing the door. Sometimes he'll protest bark and scratch at the door for a second or too, but so far he's just been settling in. And he chills in there for a while after I'm home so I can actually get some chores done without him underfoot.

But ... point well taken, I'll try it next time that happens, trying to remember to make it a positive thing and not a punishment thing. Somehow.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:59 PM

Another suggestion would be to initiate a short training session. He gets antsy, you run him through his learned commands, and start work on some new ones. This focuses his mind, and reinforces expected behavior.

I'll also mention that it's not uncommon at all for adopted animals to start to get a little frisky once they've settled in. He'll work through it. I've had it happen with several dogs and even a horse. A few weeks in and the dog seems to realize that this is home and you're not a temporary fixture. They become a little more relaxed and push the boundaries a bit. Good news is that he trusts you?

I'd up the exercise even more as well.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:34 PM

I have very little experience with bigger dogs. I agree with Sunny about upping your excercise routine. A tired dog is a happy dog.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 09-02-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Last night he was doing that shit and there was no stopping him. He ended up doing crazy-ass windsprints between the kitchen and the living room - a distance of about fifteen feet. I just let him go until he knocked something over. It was still light outside so we went out back and played ball for a little while and that seemed to do the trick, but damn, I can't have that happening too often either. And it's not like he wasn't exercised - he's had at least 4 miles worth of walks and two other ball-playing sessions.
That's plenty of exercise for lots of humans and some dogs. It clearly isn't enough exercise for Bob, though. Some dogs are built to run at speed, not just to walk, for a quite a bit more than four miles in a day, and he may well be one of them.

Not sure what you're going to do about it, though, as you've probably got limited time to go run with him, and very likely couldn't keep up with him anyway (not a criticism of your running abilities, very few people can run well enough to properly exercise such a dog). Is it possible to build him an outside pen that's secure enough that you can allow him access to it while he's unattended, and large enough that he can at least run in circles in it at some speed?
Old 09-02-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
That's plenty of exercise for lots of humans and some dogs. It clearly isn't enough exercise for Bob, though. Some dogs are built to run at speed, not just to walk, for a quite a bit more than four miles in a day, and he may well be one of them.

Not sure what you're going to do about it, though, as you've probably got limited time to go run with him, and very likely couldn't keep up with him anyway (not a criticism of your running abilities, very few people can run well enough to properly exercise such a dog). Is it possible to build him an outside pen that's secure enough that you can allow him access to it while he's unattended, and large enough that he can at least run in circles in it at some speed?
Does he fetch? Or swim? (Apologies if you answered this already and I missed it.) Both are great ways of tiring out even the most switched-on dog.

Having you run more than four miles a day to entertain him, doesn't sound feasible. OTOH, Bob looks a bit like a dog my best friend in high school had. Well, actually it was his mother's dog, and she trained for marathons when she wasn't instructing multiple aerobics classes. Both Mom and dog were happy with the 10 mile a day running regimen.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

I will add that when some of my dogs are trying persistsetly to get my to interact with them, nudging and pawing and so forth, I will deliberately turn my back on them and refuse to even make eye contact until they stop and settle down. It works surprising well. Then I'll call them and give them some mild praise (I don't want to get them ramped up again) and a few pats. If they start getting rowdy again, I turn away and over and over (it may take 2-4 times) until they lay down beside me. The point being that I give attention when it's good for me, not directed by them.

StG
Old 09-02-2019, 04:56 PM

A treadmill might be in Bobs future.
My groomer uses one for hyper clients. She says most dog get it pretty quick. YMMV. My lazy, quiet Yorkie has never been on it.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 09-02-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Doubtful he will start lifting. We have a 4 yr old Boxer that squats. And an 18 month old Puggle that lifts, and he didn't learn from our Boxer. Once a squatter, always a squatter lol
Old 09-03-2019, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

We have a Dobe with a spinal deformity that sometimes pees directly between his front legs...but more usually, the whiz hits him in his right elbow. He basically always has one wet foot.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:32 PM

I kind of had a very trying weekend with Bob. His acting up, while I could control him, was wearing me down. It was to a point one night where I knew if I stood up at all he'd start up so I was just not moving as long as he was being quiet. But that's no way to live. I'm not going to be held captive because he gets unruly. So, yeah, my anxiety was threatening to get the better of me the more frustrated I got and the more I started second guessing myself. I've had to keep telling myself that it was similar with Daisy-Dog when I first got her, but she was only a 25 pound terrier instead of 55 pound whatever Bob is. He's settling in and figuring out this is his home, like someone here said, so it makes sense that this is some boundry-testing. I just hope I can keep my shit together and get him on the right page. I know he's smart. I know he will settle in and be good, but damn, it's difficult.

Deep breath. Stay positive. That's my wheelhouse these days. I don't want to be negative. Any issues that are presenting themselves will be resolved.

In the meantime, I do think routine is better for him. I had a four day holiday weekend and I spent it pretty much every second with Bob. There were many walks and many bouts of fetch in the backyard, but not on any sort of schedule. Today, so far, I've come home and did some chores before I sprung him from his room. Afterward we went for a poop and a pee and spent about 45 mintues in the backyard playing around. He was still being a little unruly so I was a little concerned, but he is listening better today and not persisting so much. Since then, I've fed him lunch and let him work through a busy-bone snack and now he's sacked out on the kitchen floor. I'm going to take him for his evening walk in about an hour and then hopefully have a peaceful enough night. Bed time is 9:00 -- his shining moment. He curls up in bed with me and doesn't bother me all night.

Bob's a good boy and I will be a good owner, if it kills me.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:30 PM

And of course, as soon as I post that I just had another session of backing Bob down. Although, he did respond a little quicker this time. It only took me about ten minutes. And I think if I run through his commands - sit, down and wait - while he's in the middle of it, he sort of listens, but it takes a lot of "heys" and "no's".

I did finally get him to lay down and relax just by staring him down and then he eventually got up and slinked away into his room for a drink of water. Now he's chewing a bone, the little jerk. As soon as he gets comfortable I'm bringing his ass for two miler.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:04 PM

You're doing fine. He's testing you. Just hang tight and keep doing the training. Bob is a smart dog who has to try it his way. But, smarts are what's gonna make him a fun companion.
Keep posting. There are plenty of dog owners here who can help.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

You'll be fine. And I think Bob's doing remarkably well. He's not perfect, no pet is. But he's just young and rambunctious and learning. You'll both be fine.

StG
Old 09-04-2019, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Jack, you're a great dog owner. You're handling Bob really well!
Old 09-04-2019, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Agree. You're doing great.

Don't worry about the squat-to-pee. Leet the Wonder DogTM alternates between lifting his leg, and crouching down. He generally lifts his leg when marking his territory, but not always.

His tinkle marksmanship is not all it could be - he often winds up peeing on his other leg - but it doesn't bother him and by the fourteenth or fifteenth tinkle it is just a token gesture anyway.

Cyber-scritchers to Bob.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 09-04-2019, 03:30 PM

I thank you all for the kind words and encouragement. I knew this was going to be a big step for me, but like I said, I think this was the right time to pull this trigger. I'm feeling more and more confident every day, despite a few anxiety set-backs.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:50 PM

Ok. So it is getting easier. I just finished a session with him, and that's what these little episodes are becoming. First sign of getting unruly - first bark - I just ran though the commands: sit, down, wait. There were fits and starts and after I while I got him to go on his side. More fits and starts, but I remained calm as a bomb and it took maybe ten minutes for him to chill. It's the eye contact that I think is key. I could see the challenge in his eyes start to turn to respect, or at the very least attention. So that's promising, I suppose.

Our routine got a little discombobulated today due to weather. We went for a mile and half walk in the misty rain right after I sprung him because it's just going to get worse outside later on. And I didn't play fetch with him in the back yard because I don't feel like trying to give him a bath right yet. Later on I think I'll take him for a little ride in the car for some take out and see what that does for him.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:10 PM

I think you're doing great! You're right that consistency and routine will help him tremendously.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:48 PM

Bob, and more importantly, I am doing a lot better in the last few days. I had a chance to talk to a few people and gain perspective and the more I work with Bob the better he's getting. Morning walks are absolutely A+ efforts - but there aren't a lot of distractions in suburbia at four in the morning. Back on his routine since Tuesday and he's dialing in. He still challenges me from time to time but not as often and not as intensely. I've developed three techniques that seem to work - and they will be no surprise because they were suggested here. Run through his commands. With treats, he's perfect. Without it's fits and starts. The other thing that is working better and better is the ignore him technique. He'll jump up on me as I'm sitting here typing and I'll just push him off me with a "no" and just ignore him. He'll bark at me once, twice, maybe three or four times, then he'll huff off.

The other technique is to pick up my guitar and start to play. I'm not talking John Denver and Dan Fogleberg covers. I'm talking dirty blues tracks on YouTube that I wail over. He curls up right under my amp and chews on a bone the whole time I'm playing. It's worked twice. No reason to think it won't work again. It's funny, because I was complaining to someone that the dog takes up so much of my time that I never just jam out any more. I used to do it every single day when I would get home from work. The advice I got was that Jack needed some Jack time, so to speak, so music (loud and raunchy as it may be (and occasionally funky)) does seem to soothe the savage breast.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:21 PM

That's s good report. Bob is a music lover.
Luckily y'all like the same genre.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 09-06-2019 at 07:21 PM.