The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The Game Room

Old 03-16-2017, 02:23 PM

A bit late, but in case anyone didn't see this you should. When they did the Journey to Un'Goro announcement, there was a thread on Reddit complaining that they didn't do a song for it. BBrode totally delivered:

Ben Brode Rap for Journey to Un'Goro

(Highly recommended to play at 1.5x speed. He's got some damn good flow!)
Advertisements  
Old 03-20-2017, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

New card reveals for Ungoro. I have to say, I really like the direction Priest is going, he's getting support for combo in the 2 mana discover a spell from your deck, and midrange support in the 2/6 taunt with deathrattle +1/+1. 2 of my favorite styles! Maybe I have to craft Raza and Kazakus now.

Rogue though... meh. Crappy slow flower ugh. If Rogue doesn't get any heals or AOE this expansion, then RIP Rogue. I still don't know why they're giving Rogue value cards, of all things, when she just can't last long enough to get value out of those cards. Here's to hoping stealth Rogue can be a thing.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:53 AM

Something I'm not clear on with the new Quest cards -- when you finish the quest do you get the Legendary reward card only for the current game or does the card get added to your collection permanently to use afterward?
Old 03-21-2017, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Only for that game. It's meant for deckbuilding
Old 03-21-2017, 01:26 PM

So you have get the Quest card in a pack and put it in your deck? I was thinking it was going to be that everybody got all the quest cards automatically.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:43 PM

One of the new cards revealed today is Glacial Shard neutral 1 mana 2/1 with battlecry 'Freeze an Enemy'.

This is the first card revealed so far that (from an Arena perspective) made me say "Hell no". A dirt cheap neutral freeze effect, likely with an offering bonus, is just too much.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:29 AM

Could be worse. Could be mage exclusive.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:41 PM

PSA: Login bonuses start today.

50g just for signing on, leading up to a golden rare UnGoro card on the 5th.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:23 PM

Did I just have beginnner's luck, or was this co-op brawl significantly easier than the earlier ones were?
Old 03-29-2017, 07:22 PM

I saw some folks saying it was easy. It took me three tries.
First try, I was trying to figure out what was going on and really was only planning for doing the 25 decorations. Both of us where at fairly low health with a board full of crashers.
Second try, my "partner" didn't know what was going on at all. I played Mukla turn three and on his turn three he banana-ed both of his party crashers and naturalized my Mukla. No amount of emoting seemed to help and I never drew anything to keep me alive.
Third try we both knew what was going on and worked together pretty well. never seemed in doubt, but it did take a long time.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:40 PM

Pack opening day!

Stats: I opened 55 packs (I'm completely F2P; been saving a lot of gold): 275 cards. Of those, 113 (41.1%) were auto-disenchanted as extras, for 775 dust.

Of the remaining 162 cards, I got:

97 Commons (59.9%)
52 Rares (32.1%)
11 Epics (6.8%)
2 Legendaries (1.2%): Jungle Giants and Clutchmother Zavas

Don't really feel like I got a ton of good stuff to work with compared to the last xpac opening day. But I have about 8.5k dust, so I should be able to craft at least one or two top-tier decks, once things shake out a bit and I figure out what those decks should be. Any suggestions? I haven't been following all the theorycrafting.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
Pack opening day!

Stats: I opened 55 packs (I'm completely F2P; been saving a lot of gold): 275 cards. Of those, 113 (41.1%) were auto-disenchanted as extras, for 775 dust.

Of the remaining 162 cards, I got:

97 Commons (59.9%)
52 Rares (32.1%)
11 Epics (6.8%)
2 Legendaries (1.2%): Jungle Giants and Clutchmother Zavas

Don't really feel like I got a ton of good stuff to work with compared to the last xpac opening day. But I have about 8.5k dust, so I should be able to craft at least one or two top-tier decks, once things shake out a bit and I figure out what those decks should be. Any suggestions? I haven't been following all the theorycrafting.
It's not available yet in the EU and I am jealous
Old 04-06-2017, 08:41 PM

So I got the two shaman legendaries and have put together a quickie murloc quest deck - megafin is in fact very very good if you slam him and it's not very hard to get the quest to go.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:54 AM

17 packs. Dusted 10 cards, got 4 or 5 epics, 0 legendaries.
All of my decks went wild and I don't have near enough cards for any of the new in-game recipes. Gonna take me a bit to put some standard decks together again.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:10 AM
Charter Member

I really don't like retiring three expansions at once. Seems like we could rotate one out for every new one that rotates in.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:41 AM
Charter Member

I preordered 50 packs and bought 27 more with gold.

got a nice set of legendaries from them,

1 gold Rogue quest (which I'm actually sad about, I usually dust all my gold cards and prefer to play plain, and this is actually a card that I wanted to experiment with),
1 Druid quest (meh),
Swamp King Dred (MEH),
Spiritslinger Umbra (deathrattles proc on summon, actually quite interesting IMO, maybe jaderattle Rogue? Quest Priest if it's good?)
the new Hemet that destroys all cards below 3.

Rogue quest is actually decent aggro as of now, I can actually complete the quest by turn 7 most of the time, and sometimes even before turn 5, but honestly... I don't really enjoy this style of play. I'm hoping that there's a new tempo priest that I'll like.

Last edited by Tabby_Cat; 04-07-2017 at 01:42 AM..
Old 04-07-2017, 08:58 AM

I climbed to Rank 13 before the expansion released, and now I'm stuck getting my ass constantly kicked, yet not being able to fall below Rank 15, with a deck that doesn't work anymore and no new cards to experiment with. Of course, I understand this is the business model and that by not spending money on the new cards, I'm at a disadvantage, but it is a bit frustrating. Ah well, such is life.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:05 AM

I'll also say, I hate how quickly the decks get repetitive. I was hoping for a good bit of experimentation (and there is a ton more than the stagnant ladder before the expansion, don't get me wrong), but I just played my 3rd Crystal Core Rogue out of 5 games. Here's hoping it's just luck of the draw and not a sign of things to come.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Who knows how the meta will shake out - often what people are concerned about in the first few days goes away a couple weeks later - but if these quests cards are too powerful there's a risk they basically force the game down a path of very limited avenues with only following these quests being viable.

Retiring 3 expansions at once, and then introducing things to make people go with very specific decks seems like a recipe for a pretty narrow meta.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

On top of that - if the quests do come to dominate the meta, then having them be legendary is pretty unfriendly towards your customers. You're making them earn a legendary for every class they play just to have a seat at the meta table. Seems like there should be easier ways to obtain quests.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 04-07-2017 at 02:25 PM..
Old 04-07-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Who knows how the meta will shake out - often what people are concerned about in the first few days goes away a couple weeks later
Not necessarily - people were complaining about pirate aggro from day 1 of the last xpac.

Anyway, I crafted the rogue quest and built this deck very cheaply (I had all the other cards except the quest already). It's pretty OP.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

So I played around 15 games today when I came across the first person not using a quest. I guess everyone is already fully invested in the quest-oriented gameplay. Must be all the sylv and rag dust leading to day 1 crafts.

Not sure if I want to try priest or warrior first, those look like the two best quests (although rogue has kicked my ass a few times). It could make an N'zoth deathrattle priest pretty sweet.

The warrior quest makes it seem like you could play a pretty aggressive warrior early on because you generate infinite late game value from your hero power and don't necesarily need a lot of late game heavy hitters.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:44 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but do the quest cards come automatically into your hand on the draw? Every game I've played so far, the quest card comes out in Round 1, and I'm wondering if that's just a fluke.

And whatta know, another Crystal Core Rogue. How fun!

Last edited by Hamlet; 04-07-2017 at 07:46 PM..
Old 04-08-2017, 10:23 AM

Yes, if you have a Quest card in your deck it will always be the first card in your hand.

I got the Shaman quest card in my packs so played mostly that on release day; seemed like most everybody was playing quest decks.

Yesterday I decided to mess around a bit – played a cheap Warlock Zoo and a cheap Face Hunter deck and did better than the Shaman quest.

Started running into Rogue quest decks one after another and rage quit. The frustration level of the new “interactive” decks is, methinks, higher than ever.

RE: Dumping three expansions at once and only adding one new one – yep, super bad idea – why not dump and replace one expansion at a time … or instead of adding 130 cards every four months, replace 30 cards every month … or maybe seven cards every week … always a fresh meta, always something to look forward to … but that might hurt pack sales.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:53 AM

I've thought about crafting the murloc quest since I have a pretty good murloc shaman deck that I like to play (just need to de-wild it). I also thought about crafting the rogue quest because it looked OP.

I did convert my "reno" mage deck to standard (since all my dailies are mage-related) and played one game, against a warrior running his quest card, and managed to luck out to keep enough minions on the board to prevent sulfuras from doing much face damage. It was actually a satisfying game of trading and control versus all the aggro heavy I had been playing as or playing against.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

To those of you complaining about quest rogue, pirate warrior is a pretty consistent counter. Also probably the new handlock, although I haven't seen one yet.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Well I was just hit with what might've been the most elaborate combo loss I've ever experienced.

I was jade druid, sitting at 30 hp / 16 armor against a frost mage. I have the board full, a gadgetzan auctioneer, various jade golems in the 6/6 to 10/10 range, others. His board was empty. He had around 10 hp.

He plays frost nova twice in a row. Then I had a turn where I could attack, so I got him down to 5 hp and of course at that point he had an ice block. The next turn brings a blizzard. Turn after that, he has another ice block. Then another blizzard. Then a third ice block (generated from one of the mage spell generation cards). I've now been sitting at 30 hp / 16 armor and a full board for like 9 turns.

He actually runs his deck dry (I have like 10 cards left due to jade idol). He has 6 cards left. He plays 2 sorceror's apprentice, then the card that copies a minion you have on the board (for a third apprentice) then the card that gives him the extra turn (at this point he draws 1 fatigue damage and has 2 hp left - the next draw will kill him). Then he plays the generate an extra turn card from his quest. Then he plays Antonius, and his last card, one of those spells that duplicates a friendly minion, giving him four sorceror's apprentices. And of course Antonidus made that last cast generate a fireball. Which is free to cast, because he has the 4 apprentices. As are the subsequent 10+ fireballs he generates after that.

Gotta give him credit, that's pretty much the most ridiculous possible way to pull off the new frost mage combo.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:30 PM

Playing Arena because I don't have the cards to compete in Ranked. I'm really grooving on that envenom weapon card. Although it can bite you on the butt in health, having two removals with only the damage to the face is usually pretty well worth it. Does it work with Blade Fury?
Old 04-08-2017, 05:35 PM

No it does not work with Blade Fury (Disguised Toast has a video showing this, among other questions). I'm sure the mechanical reason is that Blade Fury does the damage, not the poisoned weapon itself.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Well I was just hit with what might've been the most elaborate combo loss I've ever experienced.

I was jade druid, sitting at 30 hp / 16 armor against a frost mage. I have the board full, a gadgetzan auctioneer, various jade golems in the 6/6 to 10/10 range, others. His board was empty. He had around 10 hp.

He plays frost nova twice in a row. Then I had a turn where I could attack, so I got him down to 5 hp and of course at that point he had an ice block. The next turn brings a blizzard. Turn after that, he has another ice block. Then another blizzard. Then a third ice block (generated from one of the mage spell generation cards). I've now been sitting at 30 hp / 16 armor and a full board for like 9 turns.

He actually runs his deck dry (I have like 10 cards left due to jade idol). He has 6 cards left. He plays 2 sorceror's apprentice, then the card that copies a minion you have on the board (for a third apprentice) then the card that gives him the extra turn (at this point he draws 1 fatigue damage and has 2 hp left - the next draw will kill him). Then he plays the generate an extra turn card from his quest. Then he plays Antonius, and his last card, one of those spells that duplicates a friendly minion, giving him four sorceror's apprentices. And of course Antonidus made that last cast generate a fireball. Which is free to cast, because he has the 4 apprentices. As are the subsequent 10+ fireballs he generates after that.

Gotta give him credit, that's pretty much the most ridiculous possible way to pull off the new frost mage combo.
That's not a bad way to go out.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:13 PM

Heh my priest opponent just killed themselves with their own Amara, Warden of Hope. That was pretty fun.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
I climbed to Rank 13 before the expansion released, and now I'm stuck getting my ass constantly kicked, yet not being able to fall below Rank 15, with a deck that doesn't work anymore and no new cards to experiment with. Of course, I understand this is the business model and that by not spending money on the new cards, I'm at a disadvantage, but it is a bit frustrating. Ah well, such is life.
Yeah, there are a lot of people upset about this. Myself included. Hey, here's this cool new mechanic that dominates the good deck archetypes of at least four classes (Rogue, Hunter, Shaman, Priest), and probably a few others if you want to play something other than decks that were viable last month too. 1600 dust a pop, please. That's... kinda bullshit.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:21 PM

On a side note, Vicious Fledgeling is the kind of single-card snowball you don't get very often. Swing face with him once, and if you get Windfury, it gets downright gross. I swung with mine, got Windfury into Stealth. Then next turn, +3 attack into stealth. I did more than 20 damage with a fucking 3-drop, and there was basically nothing my opponent could do after it got to swing once. This card is kinda disgusting. And in another game, my opponent had to play catch-up for exactly the same reason. If you see this card, kill it. If you have it, protect it carefully, it will win games like a stealthed Kvaldir Raider.

Last edited by Budget Player Cadet; 04-09-2017 at 03:23 PM..
Old 04-09-2017, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

So what are the best quests so far? Warrior seems like it'd be really good and they finally found a way to force people to play taunt minions. I actually kinda want to play a taunt deck with some of the taunt synergies, so I may go that way.

Priest quest seems good in theory but I beat it almost every time. But I don't know why a deathrattle/nzoth deck wouldn't be good.

Rogue kicks my ass all the time, but I've mostly just been playing jade druid. If I played something super aggro I guess rogue wouldn't have time to complete, but people keep pulling it off by turn 6 and it's really hard to do anything about it.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

You don't really have to play super aggro. Midrange is fine as long as you're pressuring the rogue health.

By turn 6, a 2 attack minion played on turn 1 would have done 12 damage. A 2 attack minion played on turn 2 would have done 10 damage. A 3 attack minion played on turn 3 would have done 9 damage.

The main problem with decks now is that they're way to greedy. Quest Rogue rarely has the ability to contest the board, what with all the bouncing and drawing, and even if they get the quest complete on turn 6, if they're staring down a board of 3 minions of 3 4 5 attack and at 10 health, it's hard for them to close out.

I expect this deck to be tier 2 or lower once decks get more refined - decks are just way too greedy now.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:17 AM
Charter Member

What are the best and worse arena classes now?
Old 04-10-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
What are the best and worse arena classes now?
I remember seeing some preliminary data that had Rogue, Mage, Paladin above 50 percent and Warrior way down.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scud View Post
I remember seeing some preliminary data that had Rogue, Mage, Paladin above 50 percent and Warrior way down.
Here's the article - Druid also lagging though not nearly as bad as warrior; everything else actually pretty competitive so far:

https://hsreplay.net/articles/9/clas...ce-ungoro-meta
Old 04-10-2017, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Huh. Mage, rogue, paladin good in arena. Warrior and shaman good in standard. That meta really got shaken up.

Thinking of crafting the warrior quest, seems like it's hard to go wrong with that one. I bet there will be multiple viable decks with it.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:41 PM

The warrior taunt deck does seem like a viable control archetype. Though I'm also still seeing a lot of decks very similar to what we saw pre-xpac (namely, pirate face Warrior cancer is still a thing as is mid-range jade Shaman).
Old 04-10-2017, 11:41 PM

And actually, looking at Tom Scud's link, it looks like cancer Warrior is indeed still the #1 winningest deck in the standard meta. I think wild is actually a lot more fun right now (although there are still face warriors there too, and they have Ship's Cannons). So much for fun and interactive.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:07 AM
Charter Member

What does cancer warrior refer to now?

Last edited by SenorBeef; 04-11-2017 at 12:11 AM..
Old 04-11-2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Pyrates.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Aggro/face. Deck hasn't really changed at all since xpac.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:42 AM
Charter Member

It's actually been surprising to me that even with the massive hate of Golakka Crawler, Taunt Warrior, Tar Creeper, Elemental Shaman, Pirate Warrior is still a thing. Really amazing.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:26 AM

Plus the STB nerf that happened a while back, that hurt it but didn't really slow it down.

I'm thinking one of the options for Adapt should have been "remove your opponent's weapon".
Old 04-11-2017, 12:00 PM

There's also a heavily aggro-oriented token Druid type deck that I see popping up a bit, using stuff like the new Living Mana and the card that lets them adapt all their minions at once.

Aggro's gonna be very prevalent this year.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:56 PM

Looks like after the first few days of experimenting with all the legendary quests, they're mostly getting abandoned with the exception of the Rogue quest. These are the most popular decks now. I think it's interesting that even the Discolock, which is still a popular archetype, doesn't use the discard-based quest. I guess it's just not very synergistic with its overall purpose.

Last edited by Rigamarole; 04-12-2017 at 03:00 PM..
Old 04-12-2017, 06:18 PM

So I found murloc quest shaman to feel bad - spending turn 1 playing something that can't swing at the face feels bad in a murloc deck - so I cut out all the murlocs except Finja, 2 x Warleader, 2x Bluegill, plus 2 totems and 2 call in the finishers, and filled in with early board-presence/dominance cards like weapons, the 2/4 taunt/heal, the 3/5 taunt, lightning storm, maelstrom portal, and a mini jade package (lightning and weapon). Feels bad against quest rogue but quite fun against other things.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:55 PM

I decided to drop hearthstone with this expansion. I saved up enough gold to open about 25 packs and got a crap load of duplicates, no quests, and nothing approaching the ability to create a playable deck. Knowing I would probably just get competitive again when the next expansion is released, coupled with the realization that Blizzard isn't really interested in fixing things but instead just releasing new broken combos to replace the old ones, I decided this isn't for me.

I am a lot more productive now =)