Old 11-21-2019, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
I believe these dudes are micced up in their shoulder pads, right?
No, typically only 1 or 2 players on each team are mic'ed up per game. There are parabolic mics on the sideline that can pick up a lot, but not everything.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
No, typically only 1 or 2 players on each team are mic'ed up per game. There are parabolic mics on the sideline that can pick up a lot, but not everything.
Usually the QB on the offense and maybe some kind of captain on the defense who can relay to his teammates.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Usually the QB on the offense and maybe some kind of captain on the defense who can relay to his teammates.
There's two different systems at play, which is the source of the confusion. There are two players that have speakers in their helmet, both marked with a sticker on the back.

Those don't have microphones attached, and are used to relay plays and instructions in to the players. Those speakers turn off when the play clock has only 15 seconds left.

The other system is the microphones NFL Films puts on certain players during the game. The players change each week, and the microphone is transmitted to the sideline and recorded, then used with game film each week for highlights.

These have been the source of controversy in the past, with notable instances being Sam Darnold's "I'm seeing ghosts" caught on mic, and Randall Cobb blaming a punctured lung on landing on the battery pack. According to reports, no one from the Steelers/Browns game was wearing a mic, and it's usually only a couple players per game, as well.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
No, those helmets have receivers, but not microphones. One player on offence and one on defense can receive information from the sideline, and they cut out with 15 (?) seconds left on the play clock. But the players can't talk to the sidelines.

The players with microphones are only for NFL Films and the TV folks, and it's completely separate. But I do think the uniforms know have chips to relay location, speed, etc for some of the advanced metrics they now show.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:51 AM

Yeah, got it, I was thinking about the players with speakers getting plays sent to them from coaches. It was on my mind because of the recent thread talking about QBs calling their own plays. Sorry about the slip-up.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:44 PM

Either way, the fact that he waited so long, and AFTER apologizing so thoroughly just screams of pulling the Race Card.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:32 PM

Brows fans swing helmet at Rudolph effigy

Quote:
Before Sunday's game with the Dolphins, Browns owner Dee Haslam was photographed with Garrett's No. 95 on her cap in a show of support.
It seems like, since Rudolph was not seriously hurt, that idiots in Cleveland are treating this as no big deal and feel Garrett was unjustly punished. That, or they are just raw idiots and will support the team colors regardless of behavior.

Last edited by Harrington; 11-24-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:52 AM

The two resident chatters are uncharacteristically quiet. Is it because of a meek victory over Cincinnati? Apprehension due to the possibility of losing to Cleveland two times in three weeks? The probability of getting annihilated by Baltimore in week 17?
Old 11-28-2019, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

If you include me in the ďresident chattersĒ: my silence is due to a serious case of not giving a shit because tropical island. Anyway, the Steelers practice squad, helmed by our third string quarterback, beat the Bengals. Iím pretty good with that. It looks like a number of our starters, injured by the head-hunting Browns, wonít be back for the rematch. Fine, practice squad it is - the Browns wonít be able to help themselves and be the undisciplined rabble that they are, which in his game wonít be tolerated near as much as the first game, so it may be all we need to deal with whatís left after the ejections.
Is that sorta what you were looking for?
Old 12-01-2019, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Even though the browns managed to stay within the rules this time, the Steelers practice squad and a “training-camp arm”, not being actively headhunted, managed to get it done.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:50 PM

Be fair now. Rudolph was the first rule breaker. He tried to cork-screw Garrett's helmet off and kicked him after a legitimate play. Garrett's actions were far more egregious, but let's not omit Rudolph in rule-breaking discussions.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
Even though the browns managed to stay within the rules this time, the Steelers practice squad and a ďtraining-camp armĒ, not being actively headhunted, managed to get it done.
Iím surprised at how well Hodges played today. My observation until now was that he ran out of the pocket far too quickly, but today showed that it worked for him. Heís also not afraid to throw the ball downfield. Rudolph was a bit too willing to stay in the pocket and he was clearly not as fearless. Iíd characterize the difference as a careful QB trying not to make mistakes versus one who doesnít give a hoot because he never expected to be in this position.

7-5, still in the hunt, with practice squad players. This year has been nuts.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:26 AM

Wild year. The defense at least has been on a pretty good roll. Hopefully they can keep the mediocre Cardinals looking mediocre and give us a chance next week.

As weird/ugly as this season has been we gotta remember that aside from a blowout loss to the the Patriots in week 1, and an ugly loss to the Browns where Rudolph threw 4 picks, our other three losses are:

2 point loss to the 9-2 Seahawks
4 point loss to the 10-2 Forty-Niners
3 point loss to the 10-2 Ravens (in OT)
Old 12-08-2019, 07:47 PM

Every week someone new steps up. This week it was last week’s goat, Diontae Johnson.

This win cemented Tomlin’s career streak of no losing seasons, and he did that starting 0-3, then 1-4, while raiding the practice squad. He ought to be among the favorites for Coach of the Year.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

You have to love that Pittsburgh had 3 extra home games this year, between AZ, Cincy, and Chargers. It is amazing that they pulled out a winning season. “The standard is the standard” indeed.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

My defeatist belief in this thread that 8-8 would be a stretch was fortunately very wrong. As was my notion early in the season that there was not much difference between Steelers and Dolphins. Most wrong, however, were my bold assertions that the Bengals had something, however little, to offer, and that the Browns were not a dirty team. I obviously should stick to voetbal instead.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:21 AM

I got a nice chuckle this morning.

Here's a quote from LeVeon Bell, he who was so upset by his over-usage by the Steelers that he held out for a whole year:

"ďFor me, I always feel like I can do more. When they call me to do more Iíll be ready. Until then, Iím going to go out there, do my role, play football and do what I can.Ē

Heh. That's funny as a $27 million guaranteed for 3.2 yards per carry.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
I got a nice chuckle this morning.

Here's a quote from LeVeon Bell, he who was so upset by his over-usage by the Steelers that he held out for a whole year:

"ďFor me, I always feel like I can do more. When they call me to do more Iíll be ready. Until then, Iím going to go out there, do my role, play football and do what I can.Ē

Heh. That's funny as a $27 million guaranteed for 3.2 yards per carry.
After he signed with the Jets he publicly said he was ready to get 400+ touches to get them to the Super Bowl.

Two ironies here: the first is that, as you said, he claimed that the Sterlers were using him up, and the second is that the Jets will never give him that many touches, donít know how to use him properly, and canít block like the Steelers could so his Hall of Fame career has pretty much hit the wall.

At least he can console himself with the fat contract heís on, but Iím having a hard time figuring out why he gave up $14 million to get more or less the same thing the Steelers offered only to watch his stats implode. That has to be one of the biggest miscalculations ever by a player.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:24 PM

The Titans losing today takes an incredible amount of pressure off the Steelers tonight. If they win tonight they need only beat the Jets. If they lose they get the Jets and a Ratbirds team resting starters in Week 17, while Tennessee has to win out against the Saints and the Texans again.

Pittsburgh has their fate in their own hands and a comparatively easy schedule.

The bottom line: after an 0-3/1-4 start, the loss of virtually everyone on offense in a skill position for numerous weeks, and essentially starting the practice squad for most of the season, the Steelers are on the cusp of the playoffs.

That, friends, would be nothing short of amazing.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:38 PM

I really wanted that one. Buffalo’s defense was really good, and so was Pittsburgh’s. They just made one more play than the Steelers did.

So it’s on to the Jets, which is now a must-win. If they can’t beat the Jets they don’t deserve the playoffs. After that, we’ll see. They can still get in with a loss to the Rats, but that requires the Saints and Texans to beat the Titans, which not only is possible but likely. But first, the Jets.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:24 AM

I was pulling for the Steelers because I want Duck to stay a starter. Go Duck!
Old 12-16-2019, 11:58 AM

The Defense has been playing Superbowl Champion caliber football this year, its a shame that the offense is borderline inept.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

A Duck’s life is nasty, brutish, and short.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:56 PM

I have no confidence at all in Rudolph.
Old 12-22-2019, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

His quack may or may not, but the Duck echoes for sure.
Old 12-22-2019, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Steelers now scouting Central Catholic’s JV squad to inject some youth into The team. Do we have anyone left on offense who played in the NFL before last week?
Old 12-22-2019, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Steelers’ centers show shitty snapping skills.
Old 12-22-2019, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

And we end on a shitty snap. It feels like an absolute disgrace, but it probably is just a return to the mean for what is essentially a practice squad offense.
Tastes sour, though.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
...nasty, brutish, and short.
Those are my attorneys.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
His quack may or may not, but the Duck echoes for sure.
Here's my big issue. Neither Rudolph nor Hodges are hall of fame type quarterbacks. However, the play calling is not giving them a chance. They run when they do not have to throw, and throw when they have to allowing defenses to blitz the pass in obvious situations against these inexperienced QBs. Fitchner gives them no chance.

Duck is great when he has confidence. Once it was shattered, he was/is shaky as an alcoholic on Sunday afternoon in a dry county. This is the worst NFL offense I have ever seen.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:00 PM

Titans hold tiebreaker over Pittsburgh, right? From here on out through the end of the season? (assuming both teams same record)
Old 12-22-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Titans hold tiebreaker over Pittsburgh, right? From here on out through the end of the season? (assuming both teams same record)
Yes. Pittsburgh has to beat the vacationing Rats in Ratbirdland, still not an easy task, and the Texans, who have nothing to play for pending the foregone conclusion of tonightís game, will probably be laying down for the Titans as well.

If you canít beat the Jets you donít deserve the playoffs. Pittsburgh didnít beat the Jets.
Old 12-22-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Doors, USAF View Post
Yes. Pittsburgh has to beat the vacationing Rats in Ratbirdland, still not an easy task, and the Texans, who have nothing to play for pending the foregone conclusion of tonightís game, will probably be laying down for the Titans as well.

If you canít beat the Jets you donít deserve the playoffs. Pittsburgh didnít beat the Jets.
If both teams win or lose next week, they will have the same conference record, which I believe is the first tie-breaker since they didn't play each other. What's the next tie-breaker? Common opponents?
Old 12-22-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrington View Post
If both teams win or lose next week, they will have the same conference record, which I believe is the first tie-breaker since they didn't play each other. What's the next tie-breaker? Common opponents?
The one that gets the Titans in if they win and the Steelers win is strength of victory, the fourth tiebreaker.

The really crazy scenarios are fun, too. If they both lose, the Raiders can get in if Indianapolis wins and some other voodoo that Pittsburgh could mess up, and if they do Pittsburgh still gets in. If the Raiders lose and the Colts win, a loss by both Pittsburgh and Tennessee gets Pittsburgh in because the tiebreakers apply in the division first, which puts Indy over the Titans, then below the Steelers on head-to-head.

I love bizarre scenarios. We could see one of them for real next week.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
So there I was, holding off until opening day, trying to find the appropriate angle for the opening of my annual thread, and as he has so many times before when he was with Pittsburgh and wasn't a CTE-afflicted lunatic who no longer has any control over himself, Antonio Brown came through for me. After all the stuff about Big Ben and Mike Tomlin not having control and deep-freezing his feet and not being able to find a helmet big enough to fit that ego-swelled melon, he is about to be suspended by the Raiders and may lose all of his guaranteed money before even playing a game. This idiocy has not only vindicated my beloved Steelers, but getting a 3rd and a 5th-round draft pick for a guy who couldn't even make it to week one has to go down as one of the Steelers' best trades of all time. Tomlin had no control? He kept this under control for years. Gruden couldn't do it for a month. Ah, it's such a relief that this is now someone else's problem.

Also a relief is that football is back, and this year there are none of the distractions of the last few years for Pittsburgh. You could argue that objectively they are a worse team than they were two years ago without Bell and Brown, but this is a genuine case of addition by subtraction. Conner is a Pro Bowl player, JuJu is a bonafide number one receiver, and in the preseason Washington showed he was much improved from last year. Ben is still Ben, Mason Rudolph is looking like a solid backup and (potential) future starter, the offensive line is still beast, and there's little reason to doubt they'll still put up tons of points. Hopefully Boswell's yips are gone for good. They seem to be, but these things are unpredictable so it will still be a bit of a wild ride for a while.

The real story, though, is the defense. Pittsburgh traded up to get Devin Bush, something they almost never do, and my God, he is everything they hoped for and more. He is a true replacement for Shazier, and with him out there it will make everybody better. Look for career years from Watt and Dupree. The secondary is the best it's been since the glory days of Polamalu. This defense can be as great as it wants to be.

The pundits on aggregate have the Browns and the Steelers duking it out for the division, with the Rats maybe pulling it out and the Bungles pursuing the number one pick. I think they pretty much have it right but they're giving the Rats' run-only offense too much credit. If Jackson throws 25 times a game they'll be 6-10, and if he doesn't the league will figure it out quickly and they'll be 8-8 at best. As for the Browns, they haven't played a meaningful down yet and Cleveland is already all-in on a Super Bowl. As the Iggles proved a few years ago, so-called Dream Teams don't always work out as hoped. Lots of egos to feed, lots of questions to answer, lots of maybes. In the Factory of Sadness, those historically turn into losses, annually at the hands of the winningest QB in the history of the stadium, Big Ben. We'll see, but when in doubt, remember it's Cleveland. If you don't, they'll usually remind you sooner or later.

I'm always excited for the beginning of the season (as the previous 15 of these will attest to), but this year I'm really hyped. It's not exactly a fresh start, but now that the trash has been taken out and the damage has been repaired things are looking up. I'm more optimistic than usual about Pittsburgh's chances, although I can't account for the blown calls that screwed them out of the playoffs last year (blow me, Saints fans, the Steelers missed the playoffs because of two horrible DPI calls against your team, so suck that schadenfreude down deep and hard). Bring on the Patriots. Bring on the Chiefs. Just bring it. My beloved Steelers are ready for you.
It's fun to go back and revisit the high hopes and hubris of the OP at the end of the year. For those keeping track of the "addition by subtraction:"
  • Steelers 18-19: 9-6-1
  • Steelers 19-20: 8-7 with one game to go
Old 12-23-2019, 01:57 PM

The AFC could allow a wildcard team that finished 8-8. The NFC may require 12 wins to take a wildcard. That said, the NFC's East division is also a giant dumpster fire of mediocre football.
Old 12-23-2019, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFacts View Post
It's fun to go back and revisit the high hopes and hubris of the OP at the end of the year. For those keeping track of the "addition by subtraction:"
How very clever. Of course, some things happened in between.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFacts View Post
And then we factor in the roster turnover with the offense when every skill position was filled at some point, sometimes all at once, with the practice squad. Nobody could have predicted that. As a result, I am by no means disappointed by this season. Iíd love to see the playoffs, but by rights they should have four wins. They never stopped fighting, and that I can get behind.
Old 12-24-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
And then we factor in the roster turnover with the offense when every skill position was filled at some point, sometimes all at once, with the practice squad. Nobody could have predicted that. As a result, I am by no means disappointed by this season. Iíd love to see the playoffs, but by rights they should have four wins. They never stopped fighting, and that I can get behind.
Just a little gentle ribbing, Doors My predictions weren't much better than yours, except maybe for your guess about the Ravens, which was...not correct.
Old 12-24-2019, 03:48 PM

I agree that you shouldn’t be disappointed in the Steelers. Given all the attrition they’ve had this year, to end the season with a record similar to last year has to be seen as an improvement for the team.

Hopefully Ben can be healthy for next year but Pittsburgh better be grooming his successor, and I’m not sure they have him yet.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:49 PM

Titans leading Houston and Steelers trailing Baltimore. Not looking good for Pittsburgh.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Not just losing to Baltimore, but getting positively annihilated. With an end zone fumble (or near enough) and a safety following immediately, for 9 extra points of humiliation. Since Tennessee already won, it of course doesn’t matter.
On the bright side, at least we aren’t the pre-season-Super Bowl-contender Browns. And we will never be the Bengals.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

And in a sentence I never thought Iíd say, and which could get me a mild beating here in the ĎBurgh: Iíll root for the Ratbirds to win the big game. Hats off to them for an impressive season - and some innovative football.

Last edited by Isosleepy; 12-29-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:50 PM

Alas, the offensive problems couldn’t be overcome. To be honest I’m happy with 8-8 the way this season went, but imagine if they actually had a Hall of Fame quarterback playing with a Pro Bowl running back and Diontae Johnson had developed with those weapons and JuJu pulling people away from him...

But it wasn’t to be. It was just too much and, as I said earlier, if you can’t beat the Jets you don’t deserve the playoffs.

So it was a good season, all things considered. Even with the offense there were reasons to be optimistic for next year.

Now, will some team please finish off the Patriots?

Last edited by Airman Doors, USAF; 12-29-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:03 AM

While I've historically hated the Steelers, due mostly to jealousy, I don't mind admitting that, despite an apparent mediocre 8-8 season, their season would contend for the greatest 8-8 season, because of circumstance. For most of it, they were running a marathon, hopping on one leg. Regardless of my biases, I have to respect the hell out of that. Their 3rd sting QB performed as well as 90% of Chicago Bear starting QBs in their history. The Steelers arguably lost the most talent in the last three years (Bell, Brown, Big Ben) and still competed better than most teams for the playoffs. That is impossible. Their defense is enviable, which is probably the most likely reason for their record. Without hesitation (but not without nausea), I applaud this year's Steelers.

Last edited by Harrington; 12-31-2019 at 11:06 AM.