The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Elections

Old 05-16-2017, 08:44 AM

From here, looks like the Russian kleptocracy has butt-load of money but need it cleaned. Every crook wants his "run away!" money stashed in a totally respectable situation for the day the shitski hits the fan. And they got billions, more billions on the way.

Remember "The Producers", the scam of a purposeful failure? Read about the massive Azerbijan hotel that Trump was in the thick of? Not only was it designed not to succeed, it was designed so that it could not possibly succeed.

Maybe be a Disturbin' Legend, but the story goes that as the American Mafia got organized, there was more cooperation and tolerance between Italian/Sicilian mobsters and Jewish mobsters, Meyer Lansky being the classic example. And the Jewish mobsters told the Italians "Take your money and put it through a front business, and pay the taxes, then its legit and its yours!". Italians, for the most part, wouldn't listen, wouldn't give the money that they stole fair and square to gummint. Guess who died in his bed, and who died in jail.
Advertisements  
Old 05-16-2017, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
Um, from what I have read, that story has been contradicted by just about everyone in the room.

This is what happens when you abandon journalistic standards and start running stories based on singular, anonymous leaks. You become a tool for anyone who wants to smear someone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merneith View Post
Trump confirms that he babbled, doubles down on the "it's not illegal if the President does it" defense.

From Trump's Twitter -
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...36162567471104

As President I wanted to share with Russia (at an openly scheduled W.H. meeting) which I have the absolute right to do, facts pertaining....
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 16, 2017

...to terrorism and airline flight safety. Humanitarian reasons, plus I want Russia to greatly step up their fight against ISIS & terrorism.

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 16, 2017

Further reading:

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...ts-with-russia

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...ushpmg00000009

http://www.salon.com/2017/05/16/real...ean-up-effort/

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...-russia-238433
Sam, are you ever going to get tired of lying in the dirt and staring up at Donald holding that football again?
Old 05-17-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Wanna bet there are more subpoenas coming?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okrahoma View Post
I don't expect any that are not Flynn (or Carter Page, though he's too much of an idiot to be charged) related. But if there are any, THEN the breathless revelations of subpoenas would be justified. These are just ho-hum.
Hey look. More subpoenas.

"Federal investigators have subpoenaed records related to a $3.5 million mortgage that former Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort took out on his Hamptons home just after leaving the campaign, according to a source familiar with the matter.

The mortgage document that explains how Manafort would pay back the loan was never filed with Suffolk County, New York — and Manafort's company never paid up to $36,000 in taxes that would be due on the loan."

"A review of New York state and Suffolk County records shows the loan was made by S C 3, a subsidiary of Spruce Capital, which was co-founded by Joshua Crane, who has partnered with Donald Trump on real estate deals. Spruce is also partially funded by Ukrainian-American real-estate magnate Alexander Rovt, who tried to donate $10,000 to Trump's presidential campaign on Election Day but had all but the legal maximum of $2,700 returned. "

I'm sure there is a totally legitimate reason this happened on the same day that he was taken off the campaign for his links to pro-Russian groups.

Also, in the news this morning:

Another one of Trump's "few exceptions" to his dealings with Russia. No doubt on the up and up.

"VEB, a Russian state-run bank under scrutiny by U.S. investigators, financed a deal involving Donald Trump’s onetime partner in a Toronto hotel tower at a key moment for the project, according to people familiar with the transaction.

Alexander Shnaider, a Russian-Canadian developer who built the 65-story Trump International Hotel and Tower, put money into the project after receiving hundreds of millions of dollars from a separate asset sale that involved the Russian bank, whose full name is Vnesheconombank. "

So, according to you, this is now time for "breathless revelations", no?

This is going to be about money and campaign finance with a deliciously ironic soupcon of Russian money laundering.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:22 PM

That's the problem with these types of allegations. If you're treating a business deal involving a "onetime partner" as a Trump contact with the Russians, then there's no limit.

Trump must have had hundreds of partners in his various business deals over the years, and each of these "onetime partners" has any number of other business ventures. It's inevitable that you can find this type of link to Russian banks (or German, British, French etc. banks).

This is all nothing.

But hey, do you know how many people linked to the Clintons mysteriously turned up dead?
Old 05-17-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Also, in the news this morning:

Another one of Trump's "few exceptions" to his dealings with Russia. No doubt on the up and up.

"VEB, a Russian state-run bank under scrutiny by U.S. investigators, financed a deal involving Donald Trump’s onetime partner in a Toronto hotel tower at a key moment for the project, according to people familiar with the transaction.

Alexander Shnaider, a Russian-Canadian developer who built the 65-story Trump International Hotel and Tower, put money into the project after receiving hundreds of millions of dollars from a separate asset sale that involved the Russian bank, whose full name is Vnesheconombank. "
This is pathetic. One-time-Trump-partner finances something with a Russian bank. Exactly how is Trump involved?
Old 05-17-2017, 12:26 PM

"U.S. investigators are looking into any ties between Russian financial institutions, Mr. Trump and anyone in his orbit, according to a person familiar with the probe. As part of the investigation, they’re examining interactions between Mr. Trump, his associates and VEB, which is now subject to U.S. sanctions, said another person familiar with the matter"

Nothing about the subpoena, Okrahoma?

Last edited by Fiveyearlurker; 05-17-2017 at 12:27 PM..
Old 05-17-2017, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

The President of the United States needs money from a Russian bank that was outlawed (or a State enterprise) 26 years ago, is run by people raised to be Communists and now have to answer to an ex-KGB agent, and yon President cannot even get a loan from a bank in a traditional capitalistic society (except for Duetschebank (sp)).

But that's normal. Nothing to see here!
Old 05-17-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
"U.S. investigators are looking into any ties between Russian financial institutions, Mr. Trump and anyone in his orbit, according to a person familiar with the probe. As part of the investigation, they’re examining interactions between Mr. Trump, his associates and VEB, which is now subject to U.S. sanctions, said another person familiar with the matter"

Nothing about the subpoena, Okrahoma?
Again, pathetic. Manafort. Carter Page. Flynn. When will you finally get to Trump?
Old 05-17-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I don't expect any that are not Flynn (or Carter Page, though he's too much of an idiot to be charged) related. But if there are any, THEN the breathless revelations of subpoenas would be justified. These are just ho-hum.
(bolding mine)

I could have sworn that goal post was around here somewhere.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
(bolding mine)

I could have sworn that goal post was around here somewhere.
Manafort. Still a pathetic try. On par with "one-time-Trump-business-partner" crap you tried to pull above.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-w...beach-mansion/

Bought for $40 million, sold for $95 million during the housing crash of 2008. Stupid Commies! Don't even know how to price a home!
Old 05-17-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Manafort. Still a pathetic try. On par with "one-time-Trump-business-partner" crap you tried to pull above.
Great. So, we're on the same page that there have since been more subpoenas. I'll keep my goalpost in the same place even after the win on the question the first time:

Quote:
Wanna bet there are more subpoenas coming?
Old 05-17-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-w...beach-mansion/

Bought for $40 million, sold for $95 million during the housing crash of 2008. Stupid Commies! Don't even know how to price a home!
The new owner divided the property into three lots and just sold one for $34.5M. Apparently it was at least worth the $95M.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

But not in 2008.

Regardless, that's a horrible return on a 9 year investment. $5m on $95m spent? Somebody oughtta get fired.

Last edited by JohnT; 05-17-2017 at 12:46 PM..
Old 05-17-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
This is pathetic. One-time-Trump-partner finances something with a Russian bank. Exactly how is Trump involved?
Did you happen to notice that the "something" being financed was a Trump International Hotel and Tower? If investigators dig deep enough, I think it might turn out that Trump was involved.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:22 PM

Trump doesn't have a financial stake in that hotel. It's just a name-licensing deal.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Did you happen to notice that the "something" being financed was a Trump International Hotel and Tower? If investigators dig deep enough, I think it might turn out that Trump was involved.
Let me spell it out for you:

1. Trump's one-time-business-partner SELLS something to the Russian bank (as in "a separate asset sale").
2. That one-time-business-partner then uses the money to build Trump International tower in Toronto
3. Trump has no financial stake in that building. He licenses his name to it.

This is not even "thrice removed". That is un-connected.

You (plural) are grasping at straws.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps View Post
That's the problem with these types of allegations. If you're treating a business deal involving a "onetime partner" as a Trump contact with the Russians, then there's no limit.

Trump must have had hundreds of partners in his various business deals over the years, and each of these "onetime partners" has any number of other business ventures. It's inevitable that you can find this type of link to Russian banks (or German, British, French etc. banks).

This is all nothing.

But hey, do you know how many people linked to the Clintons mysteriously turned up dead?
Heck, almost every single person my grandma ever knew is dead.

and Carter Page really is the Kato Kaelin of this fiasco.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 05-17-2017 at 01:36 PM..
Old 05-17-2017, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Rosenstein just appointed a Special Counsel - to run the Russia investigation. Robert Mueller, former FBI Director.

Last edited by jasg; 05-17-2017 at 05:13 PM..
Old 05-17-2017, 05:33 PM

You know who also thinks that Trump is on Putin's payroll? Apparently, House Majority leader, Kevin McCarthy.

A month before Donald Trump clinched the Republican nomination, one of his closest allies in Congress — House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy — made a politically explosive assertion in a private conversation on Capitol Hill with his fellow GOP leaders: that Trump could be the beneficiary of payments from Russian President Vladimir Putin.

“There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump,” McCarthy (R-Calif.) said, according to a recording of the June 15, 2016 exchange, which was listened to and verified by The Washington Post. Rep. Dana Rohrabacher is a Californian Republican known in Congress as a fervent defender of Putin and Russia.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:41 PM

EDIT: nevermind. ninja'd by Fiveyearlurker

Last edited by Fubaya; 05-17-2017 at 05:42 PM..
Old 05-17-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
You know who also thinks that Trump is on Putin's payroll? Apparently, House Majority leader, Kevin McCarthy.
But it was just a joke! Paul Ryan often swears people to secrecy after they tell a joke!

The GOP has officially become the Corleone Family.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaTea View Post
But it was just a joke! Paul Ryan often swears people to secrecy after they tell a joke!

The GOP has officially become the Corleone Family.
That's what I love: he makes it very clear to his colleagues that when their nation may face a threat, their loyalty must be to their party. NO LEAKS!
Old 05-17-2017, 07:55 PM

I also love, that the Republicans were asked to comment on the story, and they were quick to yell "Fake news!" until they learned that it was on tape, and then, "It was a joke!"
Old 05-17-2017, 08:58 PM

Turns out, the Trump team know Flynn was under investigation for being a secret lobbyist for Turkey back in November.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:02 PM

Doesn't that throw the Pence timeline into serious question? Can I make the bold prediction that our next president is Orrin Hatch?

Last edited by Fiveyearlurker; 05-17-2017 at 09:03 PM..
Old 05-17-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubaya View Post
Turns out, the Trump team know Flynn was under investigation for being a secret lobbyist for Turkey back in November.

I long ago gave up hope of keeping all the players straight in my mind. So, apologies for what's probably a dumb question. Did we know Flynn was working for the Turks too, or is this a new twist? I get that the part about him telling the admin that he was under investigation, and them choosing him anyway, is rather a sticky wicket. But the fact that he was a lobbyist for the Turks to begin with -- I don't think I knew that.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Doesn't that throw the Pence timeline into serious question? Can I make the bold prediction that our next president is Orrin Hatch?
Consider it made. Want to put a date on that?
Old 05-17-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
I long ago gave up hope of keeping all the players straight in my mind. So, apologies for what's probably a dumb question. Did we know Flynn was working for the Turks too, or is this a new twist? I get that the part about him telling the admin that he was under investigation, and them choosing him anyway, is rather a sticky wicket. But the fact that he was a lobbyist for the Turks to begin with -- I don't think I knew that.
That nugget of insanity came out last month:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/10/u...nn-turkey.html

Which is an eternity ago in the Wapo/NYT dumpster-fire-reporting badminton match.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybratsche View Post

Which is an eternity ago in the Wapo/NYT dumpster-fire-reporting badminton match.
Ah, thanks. I fondly remember those halcyon days of March, when things seemed so much simpler. Life seemed slower then.

I can't figure out how to share it, but just a bit ago, Pro Publica's Facebook page posted a picture of the "I Love Lucy" candy factory episode with the caption (paraphrasing): "Live shot from the NYT and Washington Post news rooms."

Last edited by Bayard; 05-17-2017 at 09:35 PM..
Old 05-17-2017, 09:41 PM

I'm still confused. This completely blows up the Flynn was fired for lying to Pence (18 days later) story, because as head of the transition, Pence already knew. Right?
Old 05-17-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
Ah, thanks. I fondly remember those halcyon days of March, when things seemed so much simpler. Life seemed slower then.
Yeah, it turns out that Trump did have the traditional 100-day honeymoon phase for a new President.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I'm still confused. This completely blows up the Flynn was fired for lying to Pence (18 days later) story, because as head of the transition, Pence already knew. Right?
You've got it exactly right.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I cannot tell from the article if Pence was completely briefed or not, but I think not. What I think it says is that that the Turkey connection was revealed to the transition team. What Flynn lied to Pence about is supposed to be the nature of the Kislyak conversations that he had prior to the inauguration. Those conversations are what left him open to blackmail. Two separate threads in the Flynn tapestry.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:25 PM

IIRC, the issue was the fact of the meetings, that they had occurred and that he had denied it. The subject of the conversation might have been daffodils, for all the difference it makes.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps View Post
Trump doesn't have a financial stake in that hotel. It's just a name-licensing deal.
Do you think Trump would have gotten his licensing fee if the hotel had not been built?

Quote:
1. Trump's one-time-business-partner SELLS something to the Russian bank (as in "a separate asset sale").
2. That one-time-business-partner then uses the money to build Trump International tower in Toronto
Do you think the hotel would have been built if this partner hadn't been able to raise the capital he needed from this asset sale?

Partner sells asset to Russian bank. Partner uses money from that sale to build hotel and pay licensing fee to Trump. It may be totally on the up and up, but the fact that Trump doesn't have a financial stake in the hotel doesn't prove anything.

And a recap of the article I found said that a Trump company manages the hotel and residences, so there is an ongoing relationship.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
I apologize if I misled you about what the NY Times article states. However, this is worth reading about Pence's knowledge about Russian ties: Pence's Relationship with Paul Manafort and Russia
Old 05-17-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
I apologize if I misled you about what the NY Times article states. However, this is worth reading about Pence's knowledge about Russian ties: Pence's Relationship with Paul Manafort and Russia
Thank you for the link. I agree completely. Pence should not be overlooked in any investigation. He lost all credibility with me when he decided to turn his back on his so-called morality and remain Trump's running mate after the Access Hollywood tape came out.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybratsche View Post

And when news broke of Flynn's lobbying for Turkey, everyone in the White House said they never knew anything about it. When asked directly, Pence said it was the first he heard about it, but it turned out that Representative Elijah Cummings sent Pence a letter about it in November.

http://www.businessinsider.com/elija...obbying-2017-3

And now todays article indicates that they had already had a big powwow about it before getting that letter.

I'm racking my brain trying to think of anything these assholes have told the truth about, but nothing comes to mind.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:24 AM

Quote:
I'm racking my brain trying to think of anything these assholes have told the truth about, but nothing comes to mind.
Apparently, Trump isn't bald. So when he says that he's not bald, he means it.

Granted, the fact that a non-bald man has chosen to use a comb-over as his hairdo could be considered to be a rather obscure, and inexplicable lie.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Apparently, Trump isn't bald. So when he says that he's not bald, he means it.

Granted, the fact that a non-bald man has chosen to use a comb-over as his hairdo could be considered to be a rather obscure, and inexplicable lie.
It may be done to honor his mother http://www.glamour.com/story/donald-...ms-hair-photos
Old 05-18-2017, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Reuters: " at least 18 undisclosed contacts with Russians by Trump campaign"

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN18E106

Quote:
Michael Flynn and other advisers to Donald Trump’s campaign were in contact with Russian officials and others with Kremlin ties in at least 18 calls and emails during the last seven months of the 2016 presidential race, current and former U.S. officials familiar with the exchanges told Reuters.

The previously undisclosed interactions form part of the record now being reviewed by FBI and congressional investigators probing Russian interference in the U.S. presidential election and contacts between Trump’s campaign and Russia.

Six of the previously undisclosed contacts described to Reuters were phone calls between Sergei Kislyak, Russia's ambassador to the United States, and Trump advisers, including Flynn, Trump’s first national security adviser, three current and former officials said.

Last edited by JohnT; 05-18-2017 at 07:58 AM..
Old 05-18-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Reuters: " at least 18 undisclosed contacts with Russians by Trump campaign"

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN18E106
What? Are they supposed to remember every dozen and a half times that they talked to the Russians?
Old 05-18-2017, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

So many contacts, so few memories of them. They ought to have a doctor evaluate them for memory issues.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
And thus they knew or at least had good reason to surmise that when Flynn put a stop to a military plan Turkey opposed, he was doing so for money:

Quote:
One of the Trump administration’s first decisions about the fight against the Islamic State was made by Michael Flynn weeks before he was fired – and it conformed to the wishes of Turkey, whose interests, unbeknownst to anyone in Washington, he’d been paid more than $500,000 to represent. ...

Now members of Congress, musing about the tangle of legal difficulties Flynn faces, cite that exchange with Rice as perhaps the most serious: acting on behalf of a foreign nation – from which he had received considerable cash – when making a military decision. Some members of Congress, in private conversations, have even used the word “treason” to describe Flynn’s intervention...
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/poli...151149647.html
Old 05-19-2017, 02:19 PM

From yesterday's CNN interview with Dianne Feinstein:

Blitzer: The last time we spoke, Senator, I asked you if you had actually seen evidence of collusion between the Trump campaign and the Russians, and you said to me — and I am quoting you now — you said, ‘not at this time.’ Has anything changed since we spoke last?

Feinstein: Well, no — no, it hasn’t…

Blitzer: But, I just want to be precise, Senator. In all of the — you have had access from the Intelligence Committee, from the Judiciary Committee, all of the access you have had to very sensitive information, so far you have not seen any evidence of collusion, is that right?

Feinstein: Well, evidence that would establish that there’s collusion. There are all kinds of rumors around, there are newspaper stories, but that’s not necessarily evidence.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
From yesterday's CNN interview with Dianne Feinstein:

Blitzer: The last time we spoke, Senator, I asked you if you had actually seen evidence of collusion between the Trump campaign and the Russians, and you said to me — and I am quoting you now — you said, ‘not at this time.’ Has anything changed since we spoke last?

Feinstein: Well, no — no, it hasn’t…

Blitzer: But, I just want to be precise, Senator. In all of the — you have had access from the Intelligence Committee, from the Judiciary Committee, all of the access you have had to very sensitive information, so far you have not seen any evidence of collusion, is that right?

Feinstein: Well, evidence that would establish that there’s collusion. There are all kinds of rumors around, there are newspaper stories, but that’s not necessarily evidence.
I thought that's what investigations were for: So that random politicians are not responsible for adjudicating these things during interviews. Guess I was wrong. Das Vedanya.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Exactly. Okrahoma, that's sad.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:06 PM

I like it better when politicians spout off without waiting for the facts to come in. Makes the news ever so much more fun.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Okrahoma, that's sad.
I guess he expects Feinstein to breathlessly accuse Trump of something via tweeting. Because that's the kind of "leadership" that Okrahoma respects; He does not understand when an adult is talking.