The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 05-10-2017, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyard View Post
Fibre isn't a carb.
Well, technically it is, but we humans don't absorb fiber, so it doesn't have the caloric consequences of other carbs.

Now, if you were a horse....
Advertisements  
Old 05-10-2017, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

I am hesitant to post because my goals are trivial in comparison with many of y'all - w00+ to you guys.

I have a baseline test I do every so often to test upper body strength. I turned 61 in January, did the test, passed the test, started working on another goal (dumbbell BP - 100sX10), and got the flu, bad. Kept me out of the gym for three weeks. I lost a lot of strength.

And relearned the unfortunate lesson - I am not a kid anymore. Used to be I could get back to "normal" in two or three workouts. Not anymore. New rule of thumb: it takes the same amount of time to get back into the groove as the layoff lasted. Anyway, finally, I re-took the baseline test, and started back on trying to improve.

The new program is dumbbell BP every other workout, assistance work (regular BP, or incline press and dips) every other workout, and an unload workout (shoulder press, or close grip BP) every other week. Back work - alternate pulldowns and upright rows with cable rows and pullovers. My lower back is back to baseline, and doesn't hurt any more than it did before the layoff and my strength levels there are back to normal. Legs - I added a light day to my medium followed by heavy schedule.

And the dog is happy - I can walk at our normal pace, and he doesn't have to keep coming back to Heel because grampa is slowing down from fatigue.

New goal - dumbbell bench press - 100sX10 by July 4th.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 05-10-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyard View Post
Fibre isn't a carb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
Well, technically it is, but we humans don't absorb fiber, so it doesn't have the caloric consequences of other carbs.

Now, if you were a horse....
Looking at the nutrition labels on foods, fiber and sugar are listed as subsets of the total carbohydrates count. My understanding was that if it says 30 grams of carbohydrates and 6 grams of fiber, the 6 grams are fiber are part of the overall count of 30 grams, not an additional 6 grams of mass on top of the 30. It is also my understanding that some people think you should count fiber as consumed calories, and some people think you shouldn't, because it's not digestible. Is that wrong? I am just starting out on my journey to understand nutrition, and I haven't taken a biology course since high school, so I'm resigned to making some mistakes.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
A good thought, but there's something about tea: it actually dries me out. I feel like I have to drink more water to counterbalance drinking tea. I'm sure there's some better stuff out there than typical "iced tea" we get around here, but not being a tea drinker, I'm not sure what, and I'm not sure what doctoring I would have to do to make it palatable.
Well, yeah, ice tea is crap dietetically speaking; for starters it's made of sugar, maltodextrine, glucose, dye, partially hydrolized starches, flavorings, fructose and the occasional lonely molecule of caffeine.

I meant the un-iced stuff. The one you make from a baggie or putting leaves in a little mesh ball. Black ones are usually high-caf and if you find them too harsh: first, you're probably oversteeping it (shouldn't let it in longer than 4 minutes), and second, "a cloud of milk" does wonders without resorting to sugar.

Re. fiber: it is measured as a carb depending on what analysis is run, but it does not count towards calories any more than eating rocks does. The difference between fiber and starches is precisely that starches are digestible and fiber is not.

Last edited by Nava; 05-10-2017 at 11:02 PM..
Old 05-10-2017, 11:06 PM

Re. fiber: it is measured as a carb depending on what chemical analysis is run, but it does not count towards calories any more than eating rocks does. The difference between fiber and starches is precisely that starches are digestible and fiber is not, it's how we define fiber, "those long chains of carbohydrates found as part of foods which are non-digestible". That makes starches food, fiber not-really-food. Fiber is beneficial in that it slows the absorption of the rest of the meal (helps avoid sugar highs) and in that it gives the bowels something to do; I've known many old people (where in some cases "old" was "in her 50s") who didn't eat any fiber, subsisting on a diet of baby foods, supplements and no-fiber juices, and then complained they "didn't poo today" and had their daily poo-helper (enemas, magnesia). Eating lettuce has been shown to be healthier than that kind of regime.

Last edited by Nava; 05-10-2017 at 11:07 PM..
Old 05-11-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapezoidal jellyfish View Post
Looking at the nutrition labels on foods, fiber and sugar are listed as subsets of the total carbohydrates count. My understanding was that if it says 30 grams of carbohydrates and 6 grams of fiber, the 6 grams are fiber are part of the overall count of 30 grams, not an additional 6 grams of mass on top of the 30. It is also my understanding that some people think you should count fiber as consumed calories, and some people think you shouldn't, because it's not digestible. Is that wrong? I am just starting out on my journey to understand nutrition, and I haven't taken a biology course since high school, so I'm resigned to making some mistakes.
Hmm. In Britain here, and presumably throughout the EU, Fibre and Carbohydrates are listed seperately. Under Carbohydrates it lists "of which sugars" for how much fo the carbs is sugar, as it does for "of which saturates" under Fats. Fibre is apart.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Re. fiber: it is measured as a carb depending on what chemical analysis is run, but it does not count towards calories any more than eating rocks does. The difference between fiber and starches is precisely that starches are digestible and fiber is not, it's how we define fiber, "those long chains of carbohydrates found as part of foods which are non-digestible". That makes starches food, fiber not-really-food. Fiber is beneficial in that it slows the absorption of the rest of the meal (helps avoid sugar highs) and in that it gives the bowels something to do; I've known many old people (where in some cases "old" was "in her 50s") who didn't eat any fiber, subsisting on a diet of baby foods, supplements and no-fiber juices, and then complained they "didn't poo today" and had their daily poo-helper (enemas, magnesia). Eating lettuce has been shown to be healthier than that kind of regime.
Thank you for the explanation! I knew that it's good to get a certain amount of fiber in your diet, but I guess I didn't really think about why.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapezoidal jellyfish View Post
Thank you for the explanation! I knew that it's good to get a certain amount of fiber in your diet, but I guess I didn't really think about why.
Going even further: there are two kinds of fiber, soluble and insoluble, neither of which is actually processed as calories by the human body. Insoluble fiber, found largely in things like fruit and vegetable skins, does not dissolve in water and passes through the body relatively quickly. It's sometimes called "nature's broom."

Soluble fiber absorbs water, which causes it to turn into a sort of gel-like goo. This moves through your body a lot slower than the other kind, which helps you stay full longer. Soluble fiber also slows down absorption of glucose, so fewer sugar spikes. And, from the Good Eats show on oatmeal: "It inhibits the re-absorption of bile into the system, which means your liver is going to have to get its cholesterol fix from your blood, which means your blood-serum cholesterol's going to go down." So several benefits, there.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
I am hesitant to post because my goals are trivial in comparison with many of y'all - w00+ to you guys.

I have a baseline test I do every so often to test upper body strength. I turned 61 in January, did the test, passed the test, started working on another goal (dumbbell BP - 100sX10), and got the flu, bad. Kept me out of the gym for three weeks. I lost a lot of strength.

And relearned the unfortunate lesson - I am not a kid anymore. Used to be I could get back to "normal" in two or three workouts. Not anymore. New rule of thumb: it takes the same amount of time to get back into the groove as the layoff lasted. Anyway, finally, I re-took the baseline test, and started back on trying to improve.

The new program is dumbbell BP every other workout, assistance work (regular BP, or incline press and dips) every other workout, and an unload workout (shoulder press, or close grip BP) every other week. Back work - alternate pulldowns and upright rows with cable rows and pullovers. My lower back is back to baseline, and doesn't hurt any more than it did before the layoff and my strength levels there are back to normal. Legs - I added a light day to my medium followed by heavy schedule.

And the dog is happy - I can walk at our normal pace, and he doesn't have to keep coming back to Heel because grampa is slowing down from fatigue.

New goal - dumbbell bench press - 100sX10 by July 4th.

Regards,
Shodan
100sx10 is a great goal. I look forward to hearing your progress.

I was just able to eek out two decent reps with +90lbs on triceps dips today. I'm pretty happy about that.