The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 05-18-2017, 04:34 PM

Characters you liked that were "Chuck Cunningham"'d

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...inghamSyndrome

Personally, I wish they'd kept Ruth Ann Torkelson.
Advertisements  
Old 05-18-2017, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

The first ones I thought of were Chano (Gregory Sierra) and Wentworth (Linda Lavin) on Barney Miller. Both of them were written out and not mentioned again when the actors left the show (for their own series.) They did get a brief shout out in the finale along with Yemana and Fish, though, so I don't know if they count as being officially Chucked.

It's hard to call up too many favorites, though, because when the producers Chuck a character, it's usually because no one cares about them enough to even give them an exit story.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
The first ones I thought of were Chano (Gregory Sierra) and Wentworth (Linda Lavin) on Barney Miller. Both of them were written out and not mentioned again when the actors left the show (for their own series.)
IIRC, the show was supposed to be "Chano and Company" with Hal Linden/Barney Miller just the lovable straight man and everyone else holding up the scenery. Sierra quickly got overwhelmed by the magnificent ensemble cast and left in something of a huff.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Kevn Riley from Star Trek.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:53 PM

I have two. The obvious one is Kinch in Hogan's Heroes. He just ups and disappears with not a word. Even in the days of TV shows not caring about continuity, that was a bit excessive.

And the subtle one is MacMillan and Wife's two(!) children (not even mentioned in the TVTropes page). They existed in the womb, but no birth was ever mentioned, no evidence that a child (or two) lived in their house was seen, no one even mentioned the kids, no daycare was mentioned when the two were out mystering, nothing. Obviously, Sally was pregnant only as a cover for Susan St James' real-life pregnancies, but the show could have at least pretended. When Sally dies (off camera) for Season 6, I don't think they mentioned if the kid(s) died, too.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Kevn Riley from Star Trek.
Yeoman Rand, too, of course. Both named characters with multiple episodes who just... wanished.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:09 PM

Season One of TOS is a breeze to watch when you skip the ones in which Rand is sexually assaulted...
Old 05-18-2017, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Captain Calvin Spaulding in MASH. He was played by Loudon Wainwright III, and his addition to the cast was announced in TV Guide. But he only appeared in three episodes (He did perform part of a song in one) and then was never seen again. I certainly would have loved to have seen more of Loudon.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Dr. Stephanie in BBT was there for a few episodes and then gone with no explanation
Old 05-18-2017, 07:19 PM

What does it take to be officially Chucked? I think Steven Hill should get some sort of award in the category; he disappeared from two different series, although there was some mention of his character working on Holocaust reparations after leaving Law & Order.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Captain Calvin Spaulding in MASH. He was played by Loudon Wainwright III, and his addition to the cast was announced in TV Guide. But he only appeared in three episodes (He did perform part of a song in one) and then was never seen again. I certainly would have loved to have seen more of Loudon.
Spearchucker was also Chucked, but he was a total snooze. I liked Ugly John, though(also Chucked).
Old 05-18-2017, 08:11 PM

Thalia Meminger on "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" who after the first season only appeared in two other episodes. No one could match her money obsessed heart, not even Linda Sue Faversham. I always cried about her 60 year father with a heart condition, her mother who wasn't getting any younger, her sister married to a loafer and a brother giving every indication of becoming a welfare case.

Milton Armitrage was more than adequately replaced by his cousin Chatsworth Osbourne Jr. Davey Gilles as the wiser older brother was as useless as the young Cousin Dunky would be. Fortunately the Army threw Maynard G Krebs out so we only had to endure his cousin Jerome for two episodes
Old 05-18-2017, 08:19 PM
Shoehorn butterhorse
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair75 View Post
Dr. Stephanie in BBT was there for a few episodes and then gone with no explanation
Leonard broke up with her. That's the explanation. He just rode the "Don't break up with me - let's fuck" train a few more stops is all.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:22 PM

I also miss Leslie Winkle from BBT, she was one of the few people that could take Sheldon down a peg or two when he needs it.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:42 PM

I always liked Richard Masur as Ann Romano's BF on, "One Day at a Time."
Old 05-18-2017, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
What does it take to be officially Chucked?
The main elements are 1)a recurring character who 2)disappears 3)without explanation and 4)without being referenced once absent.

Two appearances is enough to count as "recurring" if we're including Kevin Riley (who got to be a recurring character more or less by accident -- they hired Bruce Hyde to play a different one-shot character in "The Conscience of the King", somebody remembered that he'd been in "The Naked Time", and the script was revised to use Riley again).
Old 05-18-2017, 09:41 PM

I nominate Seven from Married with Children.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Spearchucker was also Chucked, but he was a total snooze. I liked Ugly John, though(also Chucked).
So was Duke Forrest. He was a major character in the book as well as the movie (excellently played by Tom Skerritt), but while almost all the characters from the movie transfered over to TV including minor characters like Ugly John and Lt. Dish, for some reason they dropped Duke completely.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

In the comics there is Chad, Jeremy's older brother in "Zits". I don't think I've seen him in the strip in over 10 years, and he's never mentioned by anyone else in the family.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:23 PM

Gendry will be back any day.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
The main elements are 1)a recurring character who 2)disappears 3)without explanation and 4)without being referenced once absent.
By those rules, Hill's character from Law & Order does not count. That show usually gave departing characters more of a sendoff than a throwaway line in the first episode of the next season.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
I nominate Seven from Married with Children.
The OP specified "characters you liked." Although it was satisfying to see him show up on a milk carton.

Married with Children's first season featured Luke Ventura, a sly and handsome womanizer who was Al's co-worker. ("The day Luke Ventura can't help a friend is the day he has something better to do!") Ultimately, he had disappeared by season two.

Dr. Marvin Monroe of The Simpsons was seen less and less until he vanished for good, later being revealed to have died offscreen. (In reality, Harry Shearer hated doing his voice.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
Gendry will be back any day.
Yeah!! Gendry!

Also from Game of Thrones: Ser Ilyn Payne was written out of the series by season two, despite having a much larger presence in the books. The reason was because the actor was gravely ill with cancer -- however, thanks to radical surgery, he did survive and is currently cancer-free. Unfortunately, the producers don't seem keen on bringing back his character; he doesn't even appear on Arya's death list anymore.

In the books, Rickon Stark (youngest of the Winterfell brood) was effectively Chuck Cunningham'd by book two, sent off to distant lands and never heard from again. However, in the HBO series, he does return...
SPOILER:
...and promptly gets murdered.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha_david View Post
Dr. Marvin Monroe of The Simpsons was seen less and less until he vanished for good, later being revealed to have died offscreen. (In reality, Harry Shearer hated doing his voice.)
He didn't die. In one episode he revealed he was "just very sick." Total retcon, yes.
Quote:
Also from Game of Thrones: Ser Ilyn Payne was written out of the series by season two, despite having a much larger presence in the books. The reason was because the actor was gravely ill with cancer -- however, thanks to radical surgery, he did survive and is currently cancer-free. Unfortunately, the producers don't seem keen on bringing back his character; he doesn't even appear on Arya's death list anymore.
That's Dr. Feelgood's guitarist. Cancer in 2013, still going strong thankfully.

Rickon will probably eventually be back in the books. Part of the problem is that his part of the world wasn't mentioned except in passing in book 4.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:40 AM
Charter Member

Patty (the non-Pepperminty one) and her friend Violet from Peanuts.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:45 AM

In the series My Three Sons the original eldest son, Mike, married and "moved out of state" with his new wife on the first episode of Season 6. He was never seen again (he may have been mentioned from time to time, but he was gone.) The series lasted another 6 seasons.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
Shermy got Chuck Cunningham'd even earlier. I can't say I really missed any of them.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

The Gumps, a successful comic of the 1920s, mentioned in the very first strip that the had a daughter in college and a son in the army.

They were never mentioned again.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
If comic strips are allowable, then Bloom County had a few characters that got jettisoned:

Bobbi Harlow was Milo and Binkley's feminist schoolteacher, who date Cutter John and was perpetually fending off Steve Dallas' harassment.

Yaz Pistachio was Opus' fiancee, who broke up with him during the ceremony and never appeared again.

There was an scuzzball ex-convict Limekiller who appeared for a while, until Berke Breathed realized that Bill the Cat was a much funnier scuzzball character.

There was also a crooked politician character who was always being caught up in scandal situations.

On TV, Donna from That 70s Show originally had two sisters, at least one of them did show up onscreen, but neither one was ever mentioned again after the first season. More significantly, Eric's sister vanished without a trace (after marrying Fez so he could stay in the country.)

Last edited by Don Draper; 05-19-2017 at 09:42 AM..
Old 05-19-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
If comic strips are allowable, then Bloom County had a few characters that got jettisoned:
Including Milo's grandfather, who was hardly ever seen after the first year or two.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
Is this different from Mandyville? I guess the writing was on the wall, as CJ blocks her from going into a meeting in the Oval Office, but after that...she's just gone.

Ainsley Hayes was Mandyvilled too...although I think hers was closer to moving to Miami.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
Including Milo's grandfather, who was hardly ever seen after the first year or two.
True, but I never liked him.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
On TV, Donna from That 70s Show originally had two sisters, at least one of them did show up onscreen, but neither one was ever mentioned again after the first season...
I, too, came into this thread to mention Valerie and Tina Pinciotti. Also, Edna Hyde.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:29 PM

So has this thread degenerated into an indiscriminate list of every character who was ever Chucked? 'Cause out of the ones posted so far that I recognize, none of them seem particularly memorable to me, and nobody seems to be explaining why they miss them so much.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Bea Bendaderet from "Petticoat Junction."

In real life, the actress was suffering from lung cancer, and missed a number of eps in Season 5. She was well enough to return for the last ep of the season.

She was in the first half dozen or so eps of season six, and her last on-screen appearance lasts for about 10 seconds, in which she goes to Steve and Betty Jo's house to check on Betty Jo (expected to go into labor soon), who is with the Doctor. She is holding a towel for some reason, speaks briefly to Steve, then rushes into the bedroom and disappears.

The next ep, in which the baby is born, has a stand-in for Benaderet, but she did record her own lines so that they could be dubbed.

She was briefly mentioned in passing once or twice, but that was it.

Personal opinion: If she was so sick that she couldn't work any longer, you surely couldn't tell it from her last appearance. She might have appeared to have lost some weight (and that might account for why she was holding the towel), but I thought she still looked pretty good, and not sick at all. I'd be interested in hearing what any of the cast had to say about what it was like in real life, because she hid it well.

The train engineers in "Petticoat Junction" had similar appearances and disappearances without explanation. (Rufe Davis, Smiley Burnette, Byron Foulger.)

Al Harrington in "Hawaii Five-O." Just suddenly appeared, and just as suddenly disappeared. Same with Kono (Zulu).
Old 05-19-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
I always liked Richard Masur as Ann Romano's BF on, "One Day at a Time."
IIRC, he wasn't Chucked. In his last episode, he had gotten a job in California, and Ann and the girls were making plans to move out there with him, until he told Ann that he wanted to have a child with her, she flat-out refused, and they broke up.

There was a second character on Happy Days who was Chucked: "Sticks," the show's one main black character, who was briefly the drummer in Richie / Potsie / Ralph's band (eventually, Chachi took over, and Sticks was never spoken of again.)

And if "babies who were announced but never born" count, I think there was one on Petticoat Junction; at the end of the next-to-last season, the new doctor (June Lockhart's character) is about to leave for New York when she decides to stay after she examines Betty Jo and discovers she's pregnant again, but that pregnancy is never mentioned again.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
On TV, Donna from That 70s Show originally had two sisters, at least one of them did show up onscreen, but neither one was ever mentioned again after the first season. More significantly, Eric's sister vanished without a trace (after marrying Fez so he could stay in the country.)
Eric's sister was played by a different actress (Christina Moore) for that story line because the original actress (Lisa Robin Kelly) had developed a drug problem.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
In the comics there is Chad, Jeremy's older brother in "Zits". I don't think I've seen him in the strip in over 10 years, and he's never mentioned by anyone else in the family.
Also Lyman, Odie's original owner, from the Garfield strip.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
And if "babies who were announced but never born" count...
That was mine. Maybe they shouldn't count. I missed one element of the Chuck-ness requirement. While they unseen babies were characters who "2)disappears 3)without explanation and 4)without being referenced once absent" they never were "1)recurring characters". And we never got to like them (from the OP).
Old 05-19-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
actually I don't know about the strip but the second Garfield animated series that ran for a few years on cartoon network/boomerang solved that .....jon said he disappeared in a rainforest and he was never seen again

he became a sort of wildlife vigilante protecting a rainforest he came across ......he was injured and found this guy who helped him was using a local monster legend to scare off developers when the guy moved on he took over ...

how odie found out was it showed the monster on a tv show bigfoot footage style he recognized and they ran off to save him

Last edited by nightshadea; 05-19-2017 at 02:58 PM..
Old 05-19-2017, 02:58 PM

And speaking of Bea Benaderet, did they ever mention Jethro's mother on Beverly Hillbillies after Bea got her own show?
Old 05-19-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
And Calvin's Uncle Max.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
And Calvin's Uncle Max.
Bill Watterson explained why Max was never brought back; he was not about to give Calvin's parents first (or last) names, and it felt strange that Calvin's father called his brother "Max" but Max couldn't use his brother's name when talking to/about him.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Another comic strip one: Joan Caucus's older son in Doonesbury. When the character was first introduced, she had run away from her family: her husband, son, and daughter. The daughter would later appear in the strip (and Trudeau would belatedly address the fact that a character who was supposed to be sympathetic had abandoned her children) but the son was never mentioned. Joan would later go on to have another son. And the disappearance became "official" in a strip where Joan offhandedly described herself as the mother of two children.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
IIRC, he wasn't Chucked. In his last episode, he had gotten a job in California, and Ann and the girls were making plans to move out there with him, until he told Ann that he wanted to have a child with her, she flat-out refused, and they broke up.
I suspected as much, thanks for clearing that up; it's been a looooong time since I've seen that show. Hey, here's the theme song in reverse (with captioning).
Old 05-19-2017, 06:03 PM

Aunt Harriet in Batman. I guess calling her beloved is a stretch but she was an added female dynamic to the Bruce-Dick-Alfred group at Wayne Manor. Always oblivious to the goings on of the Dynamic Duo's never-ending fight against Gotham City's devious underbelly of crime.

Her role was reduced in season 3 because of Madge Blake's health.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Leonard broke up with her. That's the explanation. He just rode the "Don't break up with me - let's fuck" train a few more stops is all.
True, but we did not get to watch it unfold. We just looked up and she was gone......
Old 05-19-2017, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Lewis J. Stadlen as gubernatorial advisor Taylor on "Benson." For season 2 he was unceremoniously replaced by Clayton (Rene Auberjonois) and Pete (Ethan Phillips), who would each end up playing regulars on Star Trek series. I much preferred Taylor.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
And speaking of Bea Benaderet, did they ever mention Jethro's mother on Beverly Hillbillies after Bea got her own show?
They'd refer to her from time to time, sometimes getting a a package of Bugtussle goodies from her in the mail.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Captain Calvin Spaulding in MASH. He was played by Loudon Wainwright III, and his addition to the cast was announced in TV Guide. But he only appeared in three episodes (He did perform part of a song in one)
He actually sang in all three of his appearances. Two different songs each in There's Nothing Like a Nurse and Big Mac, and progressively slower reprises of North Korean Blues ('Oh, Tokyo...' - actually the only lyrics he sings in the last one) in Rainbow Bridge.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:01 PM

Chucked is when the characters and show carry on as if the Chucked character never existed or had any impact on the storyline. For example, Chuck Cunningham himself or Stephen Floyd and Ruth Ann Torkelson.