The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 05-18-2017, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Need help installing graphics card.

So I installed the card, and when I plugged my computer back in, I get no video screen.

Took the card out and my screen is back.

Am I doing something wrong?

Also, after I install the card, and plug my computer back in, which video out should I be using? The one I just installed? Or the old one? I didn't think the new one would work until I installed the driver.

Thank you for any help.

I'm trying to install a msi genforce gt 710 if that matters.
Advertisements  
Old 05-18-2017, 05:48 PM

[QUOTE=Grrr!;20217295]
So I installed the card, and when I plugged my computer back in, I get no video screen. Took the card out and my screen is back.

Am I doing something wrong?
Yes

Also, after I install the card, and plug my computer back in, which video out should I be using? The one I just installed?
Yes.

Or the old one?
No.

I didn't think the new one would work until I installed the driver.
The new one will work, but probably show you only very low resolution. Whatever it shows you, it won't be the full spiffy functionality that you'll get after you install the driver(s). So once you can see (at a basic level) what your computer is doing, you will want to install the drivers and then manually set up the monitor to your favored preferences.

Have fun!

--G!

Old 05-18-2017, 05:49 PM

Plug it in the new one. It'll work. You won't have full functionality until you install the drivers but it will pass the video signal, albeit an ugly one.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:38 PM

Sounds like your card may be defective. I don't suppose you have another computer you can throw it in to see?
Old 05-19-2017, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
Sounds like your card may be defective. I don't suppose you have another computer you can throw it in to see?
It works.

Thanks for the help guys.

I installed the card, installed the driver, configured my speakers, a did a test.

All speakers are working when I hit the "test" button on the computer, but when I go to play a surround sound video, it's only playing through the front three speakers.

I have zero clue how to fix this.

The whole point of me installing this card was so I could get my 5.1 surround sound system to work.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
It works.

Thanks for the help guys.

I installed the card, installed the driver, configured my speakers, a did a test.

All speakers are working when I hit the "test" button on the computer, but when I go to play a surround sound video, it's only playing through the front three speakers.

I have zero clue how to fix this.

The whole point of me installing this card was so I could get my 5.1 surround sound system to work.
Wait...what? Did you install a video card or a sound card?
Old 05-19-2017, 02:36 PM

Exactly what's the configuration of the computer? Does it have an integral (motherboard) video system you've been using, that stops working when you plug in a second video adapter card?

Broadly speaking, there are BIOS settings you have to watch when mixing internal/integrated video with expansion-card video. I've run into variations of this problem on a number of upgrades.

Details will help.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
Wait...what? Did you install a video card or a sound card?
Any modern video card with HDMI output is both. Even if you're not using HDMI to connect to the monitor, or if you are but the monitor itself doesn't have integrated speakers.

I suspect that's OP's case here. In which case, don't sweat it. If display card is displaying correctly on the monitor and your existing speakers work, your job is done. The extra audio capability which would (hypothetically) be provided by HDMI audio output is just redundant with your existing speakers and can be safely ignored. It's only really useful if you wanted to decommission the current sound system and your current monitor has integrated HDMI speakers, or if you were going to connect the HDMI output to a television in addition to your current display/audio (such as a gaming display).

Last edited by gnoitall; 05-19-2017 at 03:07 PM..
Old 05-19-2017, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
Exactly what's the configuration of the computer? Does it have an integral (motherboard) video system you've been using, that stops working when you plug in a second video adapter card?

Broadly speaking, there are BIOS settings you have to watch when mixing internal/integrated video with expansion-card video. I've run into variations of this problem on a number of upgrades.

Details will help.
The card is working. Everything is working. I figured out why the surround sound isn't working on video is because Chrome doesn't support 5.1.