The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 05-19-2017, 02:38 PM
DeepLiquid DeepLiquid is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
I dont agree with that either.

Not sure where you're from, but in Toronto thats illegal and will (rightfully) get the landlord sued
I should have clarified. In the US there are seven protected classes, being gay isn't one of them so unless a state or local entity has provided protection, there is none. For example, a friend who lives in Alabama can legally marry her girlfriend of 20 years (federally approved) but can be fired by her boss for being gay if he were to find out.
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #52  
Old 05-19-2017, 02:40 PM
FloatyGimpy FloatyGimpy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
Again, where are we gonna start drawing the line?
Well, why don't you begin? Where do you draw the line? Is anything and everything OK so long as you say "sorry" after?

Not that they're a protected class, but what if someone, in a fit of anger, loudly and publicly calls someone a pedophile, or a rapist? It's just calling someone a name, right? You don't mean it if you say it when you're angry and you can excuse it by saying "sorry".

Don't you think that's crossing a line?
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 05-19-2017, 02:41 PM
Chisquirrel Chisquirrel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
Gay guys calling into AM590 radio
Random people calling in to a sports radio show? So, not the Blue Jays, or anyone that matters, just assholes being assholes. Call me when the people advocating this matter.


Quote:
Not me
And yet you're crying.

Quote:
Lets say my alcoholic daddy used to beat the shit out of me, and called me an asshole constantly from age 10 to 18. And then a stranger calls me the same name during a baseball game, do I not have the right to be offended??
The fact that you have to create a very specific and borderline bizarre situation to further your argument should tell you that you really don't have a leg to stand on.

Quote:
Now who's doing the name-calling????
WAAAHHH!!! I can't say bigoted things without being called a bigot! WAAAAHHH!!!

Quote:
Ironically, this is what they used to say to gay guys 20 years ago, stop being a whiny pansy
Well TIL. Guess you're just a whiny pile of shit that is afraid of being called an asshole.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 05-19-2017, 02:44 PM
mhendo mhendo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
Not true. calling someopne an idiot would also insult every child or adult with learning disabilities, the mentally handicapped, every person with Down syndrome, every person with an inherited low IQ...etc....etc.

Again, where are we gonna start drawing the line??
And why are gays suddenly a protected class, and the mentally handicapped are not??
What if someone called you a dumb fuck? Would that be more acceptable. Because, based on your contributions here, it would be pretty fucking accurate.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 05-19-2017, 02:48 PM
SmellMyWort SmellMyWort is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
No, I dont use those words either. I'm saying to me a slur is a slur, or an insult is an insult.

If you call me a fucking asshole I might be offended as well, and should you then also not get a 2-day suspension??
If a coworker called you that at a public work event then maybe they would.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 05-19-2017, 02:51 PM
jsgoddess jsgoddess is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellMyWort View Post
If a coworker called you that at a public work event then maybe they would.
And if the public work event is the sort of thing that needs good PR in order to make the company money, it's even more likely.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 05-19-2017, 02:57 PM
RickJay RickJay is online now
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 37,679
When the OP starts off with saying Pillar was "Crucified" by getting a two game suspension he did not appeal, we're starting the discussion with hysteria, which is not a fantastic way to begin.

Pillar's suspension was merited and is in line with similar suspension for similar incidents. The Toronto Blue Jays are an entertainment organization in the business of selling public exhibitions of baseball to paying customers. There's a character clause in Kevin Pillar's contract for a reason; displays of vulgar and socially reprehensible behaviour are bad for his employer and merit sanction.

Pillar isn't being overly torn apart by the media or the fan base for this. If anything, there seem to be two sides; those who think the minor suspension and apology were quite appropriate and that he seems like a generally nice guy who's learned a lesson and those who think he should nopt be punished at all because ooh, special snowflakes shouldn't get offended. The latter group is pig headed and wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco
There's now talk that Jays might have to trade him (like Yunel Escobar).
What a bunch of crap. First of all, no, there is no serious talk at all of this.

Secondly, the reason the Blue Jays traded Escobar was as part of the package to get Josh Johnson, Jose Reyes and Mark Buerhle, and the reason they were willing to include him in that package is that he wasn't as good as the guy they were getting in return. The Blue Jays will no more trade Kevin Pillar than they'll start playing their games in the lake. For one thing, if you'd been following the team, you would know they have essentially run out of outfielders who are eligible to play in the major leagues.

Funnily enough, I was listening to the Fan 590 this morning, as I always do, and the possibility wasn't once mentioned. Indeed, they got a call from a gay hockey player and frequent caller who discussed the issue with quite a bit of nuance and intelligence, and he seemed to feel the suspension was plenty and the apology more than sincere. His point, indeed, was that the real problem is not, specifically, Kevin Pillar, but a general attitude of homophobia that runs through organized sports that inevitably will lead to a person - even a decent one, like Kevin Pillar - using a vulgar word in an outburst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco
Lets say my alcoholic daddy used to beat the shit out of me, and called me an asshole constantly from age 10 to 18. And then a stranger calls me the same name during a baseball game, do I not have the right to be offended?
Of course you do. You have the right to be offended by absolutely anything. You have the right to be offended by the fact that stop signs are red, or by people walking dogs wearing bandanas, or by the fact that sometimes it rains. You may choose to take offense at anything you want. This is a free country. Do as you please.

What you don't seem to comprehend - actually, I think you do comprehend it but won't admit it - is that some offensive acts are more socially unacceptable than others, and for damned good reason. Calling someone a "jerk" is mildly offensive. Calling a black person a "nigger" is easily fifty times worse, maybe a thousand times worse. They're both insults and can both be meant with hostility, but it is obvious to anyone whose brain is not made of cheese that the latter insult is extraordinarily hurtful. It is hurtful because black people have, for much longer than living memory, been subject to a great deal of abuse, discrimination, violence and disadvantage, and that word is loaded with all of those things. It hurts the feelings not only of its target but of those who hear of the slur being made in a way "jerk" simply does not. That is a fact, and it remains a fact whether you like it or not.

"Faggot" (and I will dispense with the silliness of things like `n-word' and `f____t' because we are discussing these words as adults and euphemisms do not change that) is much more like a racial slur than a common insult like "jerk." Homosexual men have it very, very rough; I hope that is not news to you, but I will assure you that if you are a white straight guy you might have a long way to go before you really understand how hurtful slurs like that can be. Gay people, unlike straight people, face a literal lifetime of fear, ostracization, hatred and insult. There are Christian radio stations that broadcast "gays are evil" probably half the time they're on the air. Things are getting better but these are pretty recent damn developments, in case you haven't noticed. It is within my lifetime not ancient history, that 32 (mostly) gay men were burned to death in an arson attack in a gay club, and the police and firefighters on the scene made fun of the victims, and authorities could not be bothered to make any mention or call for a moment of silence. It was just 25-30 years ago that soldiers from CFB Kingston, where I grew up, would brag of going out "Fag bashing," hardly surprising when, at the time, the Canadian Forces had secret investigators whose job it was to entrap homosexuals so they could be thrown out of the Army. Countless gay people have been ejected from their churches, their families - literally pushed out of their families for being gay. I personally cannot even begin to imagine the pain in the heart of someone who experiences that, and ask you to think of the astounding resolve it would take for such a person to look forward to the rest of their life having to face such hideous cruelty and be willing to go on and make the best of it. If you don't understand how the slur "faggot" can sting a person in the heart, well, you need to wake up and smell the roses, and start trying to imagine what it's like to walk a mile in another man's moccasins.

Last edited by RickJay; 05-19-2017 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 05-19-2017, 02:59 PM
Esco Esco is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto & Amsterdam NL
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatyGimpy View Post
Well, why don't you begin? Where do you draw the line? Is anything and everything OK so long as you say "sorry" after?

Not that they're a protected class, but what if someone, in a fit of anger, loudly and publicly calls someone a pedophile, or a rapist? It's just calling someone a name, right? You don't mean it if you say it when you're angry and you can excuse it by saying "sorry".

Don't you think that's crossing a line?
Sure, but in that case we should start penalizing ALL slurs and insults, not just a select few
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:01 PM
Esco Esco is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto & Amsterdam NL
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Well TIL. Guess you're just a whiny pile of shit that is afraid of being called an asshole
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
What if someone called you a dumb fuck? Would that be more acceptable. Because, based on your contributions here, it would be pretty fucking accurate
And there you have it ^^^

The ones who decry name-calling so much just showed their true colours
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:02 PM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 72,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
Sure, but in that case we should start penalizing ALL slurs and insults, not just a select few
If you call somebody a fucking asshole, it's a personal insult to that person.

If you call somebody a fucking faggot, it's a personal insult to that person and to hundreds of millions of gay people.

So the two are not equivalent.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:03 PM
Calatin Calatin is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
Sure, but in that case we should start penalizing ALL slurs and insults, not just a select few
And now we've proved that you just don't get it, either through ignorance or stubborn asshattery.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:05 PM
Soylent Juicy Soylent Juicy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
When the OP starts off with saying Pillar was "Crucified" by getting a two game suspension he did not appeal, we're starting the discussion with hysteria, which is not a fantastic way to begin.
Oh no no no, I meant "crucified" in the media and on social media even after his apologies. I fully agree with the suspension.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:09 PM
Esco Esco is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto & Amsterdam NL
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
If you call somebody a fucking asshole, it's a personal insult to that person.

If you call somebody a fucking faggot, it's a personal insult to that person and to hundreds of millions of gay people.

So the two are not equivalent
And yet the insult from Pillar wasnt directed at the millions of gays in North-America, it was directed at the pitcher himself (who AFAIK isnt even gay).

Also, what if some people had a very difficult childhood and their dad beat them and constantly called his child an asshole, should that person not be offended if someone calls them asshole later in life??
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:10 PM
Esco Esco is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto & Amsterdam NL
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatin View Post
And now we've proved that you just don't get it, either through ignorance or stubborn asshattery
I get it fine, you want one set of rules for some people, and another for others.

That by definition is discrimination
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:13 PM
FloatyGimpy FloatyGimpy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
Sure, but in that case we should start penalizing ALL slurs and insults, not just a select few
You're being willfully obtuse and not debating in good faith. A conversation cannot be had with someone who pretends to not know the difference between "You're a poopy-head!" and "you fucking faggot".

Stay ignorant, dude.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:15 PM
Calatin Calatin is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
I get it fine, you want one set of rules for some people, and another for others.

That by definition is discrimination
RickJay explained it very well in post #57. If you read that, and honestly can't fathom the logic as to why "faggot," "nigger," and other terms berating an entire class of people are unacceptable and offensive not just to the recipient of the slur, but the entire class that has had a history of oppression (and no I am not equating blacks with homosexuals), and those terms were used derisively and call back to that oppression, then there's really no point in engaging you in this discussion.

Watch network prime-time sitcoms. Do they say "asshole?" Yes. Do they say "idiot?" Yes.

Do they say "faggot" or "nigger?" No? Why do you think that is...

Idiot.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:20 PM
Procrustus Procrustus is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pacific NW.
Posts: 9,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatin View Post

Watch network prime-time sitcoms. Do they say "asshole?" Yes. Do they say "idiot?" Yes.

Do they say "faggot" or "nigger?" No? Why do you think that is...

Idiot.
Because the networks are run by The Jews?
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:21 PM
Esco Esco is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto & Amsterdam NL
Posts: 437
^^^^ how offensive a slur is all depends on the person who's receiving, and what state of mind he's in.

A person who's been bullied all his life might take a simple comment as "idiot" and decide to hang himself..

But according to your logic thats OK, because there was only one person offended, and not an entire demographic group, am I right??
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:22 PM
Calatin Calatin is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
^^^^ how offensive a slur is all depends on the person who's receiving, and what state of mind he's in.

A person who's been bullied all his life might take a simple comment as "idiot" and decide to hang himself..

But according to your logic thats OK, because there was only one person offended, and not an entire demographic group, am I right??
You know, all this talk about "F*gs" has started to make me hungry.

Anyone have any good recipes involving figs?
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:24 PM
Esco Esco is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto & Amsterdam NL
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatin View Post
You know, all this talk about "F*gs" has started to make me hungry.

Anyone have any good recipes involving figs?
LOL.....I need a cigarette myself now


(Fags = cigs in the UK for those who dont know)
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:25 PM
kayT kayT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Austin
Posts: 4,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
When the OP starts off with saying Pillar was "Crucified" by getting a two game suspension he did not appeal, we're starting the discussion with hysteria, which is not a fantastic way to begin.

Pillar's suspension was merited and is in line with similar suspension for similar incidents. The Toronto Blue Jays are an entertainment organization in the business of selling public exhibitions of baseball to paying customers. There's a character clause in Kevin Pillar's contract for a reason; displays of vulgar and socially reprehensible behaviour are bad for his employer and merit sanction.

Pillar isn't being overly torn apart by the media or the fan base for this. If anything, there seem to be two sides; those who think the minor suspension and apology were quite appropriate and that he seems like a generally nice guy who's learned a lesson and those who think he should nopt be punished at all because ooh, special snowflakes shouldn't get offended. The latter group is pig headed and wrong.


What a bunch of crap. First of all, no, there is no serious talk at all of this.

Secondly, the reason the Blue Jays traded Escobar was as part of the package to get Josh Johnson, Jose Reyes and Mark Buerhle, and the reason they were willing to include him in that package is that he wasn't as good as the guy they were getting in return. The Blue Jays will no more trade Kevin Pillar than they'll start playing their games in the lake. For one thing, if you'd been following the team, you would know they have essentially run out of outfielders who are eligible to play in the major leagues.

Funnily enough, I was listening to the Fan 590 this morning, as I always do, and the possibility wasn't once mentioned. Indeed, they got a call from a gay hockey player and frequent caller who discussed the issue with quite a bit of nuance and intelligence, and he seemed to feel the suspension was plenty and the apology more than sincere. His point, indeed, was that the real problem is not, specifically, Kevin Pillar, but a general attitude of homophobia that runs through organized sports that inevitably will lead to a person - even a decent one, like Kevin Pillar - using a vulgar word in an outburst.


Of course you do. You have the right to be offended by absolutely anything. You have the right to be offended by the fact that stop signs are red, or by people walking dogs wearing bandanas, or by the fact that sometimes it rains. You may choose to take offense at anything you want. This is a free country. Do as you please.

What you don't seem to comprehend - actually, I think you do comprehend it but won't admit it - is that some offensive acts are more socially unacceptable than others, and for damned good reason. Calling someone a "jerk" is mildly offensive. Calling a black person a "nigger" is easily fifty times worse, maybe a thousand times worse. They're both insults and can both be meant with hostility, but it is obvious to anyone whose brain is not made of cheese that the latter insult is extraordinarily hurtful. It is hurtful because black people have, for much longer than living memory, been subject to a great deal of abuse, discrimination, violence and disadvantage, and that word is loaded with all of those things. It hurts the feelings not only of its target but of those who hear of the slur being made in a way "jerk" simply does not. That is a fact, and it remains a fact whether you like it or not.

"Faggot" (and I will dispense with the silliness of things like `n-word' and `f____t' because we are discussing these words as adults and euphemisms do not change that) is much more like a racial slur than a common insult like "jerk." Homosexual men have it very, very rough; I hope that is not news to you, but I will assure you that if you are a white straight guy you might have a long way to go before you really understand how hurtful slurs like that can be. Gay people, unlike straight people, face a literal lifetime of fear, ostracization, hatred and insult. There are Christian radio stations that broadcast "gays are evil" probably half the time they're on the air. Things are getting better but these are pretty recent damn developments, in case you haven't noticed. It is within my lifetime not ancient history, that 32 (mostly) gay men were burned to death in an arson attack in a gay club, and the police and firefighters on the scene made fun of the victims, and authorities could not be bothered to make any mention or call for a moment of silence. It was just 25-30 years ago that soldiers from CFB Kingston, where I grew up, would brag of going out "Fag bashing," hardly surprising when, at the time, the Canadian Forces had secret investigators whose job it was to entrap homosexuals so they could be thrown out of the Army. Countless gay people have been ejected from their churches, their families - literally pushed out of their families for being gay. I personally cannot even begin to imagine the pain in the heart of someone who experiences that, and ask you to think of the astounding resolve it would take for such a person to look forward to the rest of their life having to face such hideous cruelty and be willing to go on and make the best of it. If you don't understand how the slur "faggot" can sting a person in the heart, well, you need to wake up and smell the roses, and start trying to imagine what it's like to walk a mile in another man's moccasins.
This is so brilliant and well put and I wish it would be read and understood by those like Esco who so desperately need to get it.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:29 PM
Esco Esco is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto & Amsterdam NL
Posts: 437
You guys are completely misinterpreting my comments. I'm not saying what Pillar isnt wrong and shouldnt be punished, I'm saying we need to punish slurs like this equally across the board, because you dont know what each individual person has been through in his/her life and how a particular slur can affect him/her
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:32 PM
Procrustus Procrustus is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pacific NW.
Posts: 9,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
You guys are completely misinterpreting my comments. I'm not saying what Pillar isnt wrong and shouldnt be punished, I'm saying we need to punish slurs like this equally across the board, because you dont know what each individual person has been through in his/her life and how a particular slur can affect him/her
Prohibiting "asshole" would be PC run amok.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:33 PM
Wilson Wilson is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Metro NYC
Posts: 1,302
I think everybody gets what you are saying, Esco - it's just that we all think you are completely wrong. All slurs are not equal.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:33 PM
Enginerd Enginerd is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
You guys are completely misinterpreting my comments. I'm not saying what Pillar isnt wrong and shouldnt be punished, I'm saying we need to punish slurs like this equally across the board, because you dont know what each individual person has been through in his/her life and how a particular slur can affect him/her
Nobody's misinterpreting your comments. They're just saying that your comments are stupid.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:35 PM
Calatin Calatin is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
I think everybody gets what you are saying, Esco - it's just that we all think you are completely wrong. All slurs are not equal.
#AllSlursMatter
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:35 PM
Esco Esco is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto & Amsterdam NL
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Prohibiting "asshole" would be PC run amok
Like it hasnt run amok already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
All slurs are not equal
You hit the nail on the head. Thanks Wilson.
So you agree with me, one set or rules for some, and another for others.

Am I right??
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:37 PM
Esco Esco is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto & Amsterdam NL
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatin View Post
#AllSlursMatter
Thanks Calatin. I knew you'd come around eventually
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:40 PM
FloatyGimpy FloatyGimpy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
Like it hasnt run amok already


You hit the nail on the head. Thanks Wilson.
So you agree with me, one set or rules for some, and another for others.

Am I right??
Yes. A 5 year old who says "doody head" has different rules than adults who hurl racial slurs. But then you already know this and are just being a disingenuous liar, cloaking your wide-eyed confusion as "just asking questions".

Or you're just a troll.

Stay ignorant, dude.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:42 PM
Calatin Calatin is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
Thanks Calatin. I knew you'd come around eventually
Might want to read my comment for intent.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:46 PM
Esco Esco is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto & Amsterdam NL
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatin View Post
Might want to read my comment for intent
I know, I was fucking with you
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 05-19-2017, 04:07 PM
Miller Miller is online now
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 42,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
So where do we draw the line then?? If we both get into an argument on the field and you call me a fucking pussy, or a fucking idiot, is that also not a slur?? Or is that less of a slur, and somehow acceptable??
How about if I do it in this thread, you dishonest, knuckle dragging, scabrous fuckwit?
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 05-19-2017, 04:12 PM
Esco Esco is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto & Amsterdam NL
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
How about if I do it in this thread, you dishonest, knuckle dragging, scabrous fuckwit?
I would say thats a hateful slur (on par with any other homophobic slur), and assuming you're being serious, that would put you on par with all the other homophobic bigots
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 05-19-2017, 04:25 PM
Miller Miller is online now
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 42,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
I would say thats a hateful slur (on par with any other homophobic slur), and assuming you're being serious, that would put you on par with all the other homophobic bigots
Oh, I was completely serious. Now, riddle me this, you fucking moron: can you figure out the difference between insulting someone for things they've actualy said and done, as compared to things they were born with, over which they have no control? Or are you too busy desperately concentrating on maintaining your autonomous nervous functions to actually think before you open your cavernous pie hole and start vomiting stupid all over yourself?

Last edited by Miller; 05-19-2017 at 04:31 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 05-19-2017, 04:26 PM
Chisquirrel Chisquirrel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
And there you have it ^^^

The ones who decry name-calling so much just showed their true colours
I have no problem with name-calling. Hell, I'm an asshole, and I know it. If someone calls me an asshole, they're just confirming what I already know.

I'm just hoping you already realized you are an asshole, and that I'm not in the unfortunate position of enlightening you to something you didn't know.

That would make me an asshole.

ETA: I'm ok with name calling, I'm not ok with bigotry.

Last edited by Chisquirrel; 05-19-2017 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: Missed a nut
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 05-19-2017, 04:28 PM
Chisquirrel Chisquirrel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
How about if I do it in this thread, you dishonest, knuckle dragging, scabrous fuckwit?
It depends on if you mean knuckle-dragging in respect to great apes, Homo neanderthalensis, or black people. One is bad. The others are just insults.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 05-19-2017, 04:30 PM
Roderick Femm Roderick Femm is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On the cusp, also in SF
Posts: 5,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
I know, I was fucking with you
And there you have it.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 05-19-2017, 04:35 PM
Colibri Colibri is offline
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 35,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
And yet the insult from Pillar wasnt directed at the millions of gays in North-America, it was directed at the pitcher himself (who AFAIK isnt even gay).
You don't remotely get it.

That, and you're an asshole.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 05-19-2017, 04:37 PM
Esco Esco is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto & Amsterdam NL
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Oh, I was completely serious. Now, riddle me this, you fucking moron: can you figure out the difference between insulting someone for things they've actualy said and done, as compared to things they were born with, over which they have no control? Or are you too busy desperately concentrating on maintaining your autonomous nervous functions to actually think before you open your cavernous pie hole and start vomiting stupid all over yourself?
Wow Miller, you sound very angry tonight. Did you just call me a Moron??
Isnt slurring people against forum rules??

How exactly would I have any control as to which (abusive) family I was born into??
In other words, you cant help if you're born gay (I agree with that). But you also cant help it if you're born into an abusive, alcoholic father who beats the shit out of you every night
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 05-19-2017, 04:38 PM
Colibri Colibri is offline
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 35,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
Wow Miller, you sound very angry tonight. Did you just call me a Moron??
Isnt slurring people against forum rules??

How exactly would I have any control as to which (abusive) family I was born into??
In other words, you cant help if you're born gay (I agree with that). But you also cant help it if you're born into an abusive, alcoholic father who beats the shit out of you every night
And you're a troll.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 05-19-2017, 04:39 PM
Esco Esco is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto & Amsterdam NL
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
And there you have it
I shouldve said "just kidding with you", but I'm not sure most people wouldve gotten that
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 05-19-2017, 04:48 PM
Miller Miller is online now
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 42,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
Wow Miller, you sound very angry tonight. Did you just call me a Moron??
No, I called you a moron. It's not a proper noun, so it doesn't take a capital. You moron.

Quote:
Isnt slurring people against forum rules??
It's not, you impossible dipshit.

Quote:
How exactly would I have any control as to which (abusive) family I was born into??
In other words, you cant help if you're born gay (I agree with that). But you also cant help it if you're born into an abusive, alcoholic father who beats the shit out of you every night
Which is not even remotely relevant, you vacuous schmuck.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 05-19-2017, 04:51 PM
Esco Esco is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto & Amsterdam NL
Posts: 437
^^^^ why so mad, Miller??

And what derogatory words have I called you for you to insult me this bad??
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 05-19-2017, 04:53 PM
Colibri Colibri is offline
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 35,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
I shouldve said "just kidding with you", but I'm not sure most people wouldve gotten that
Not when you're trolling everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 05-19-2017, 04:53 PM
mhendo mhendo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
And yet the insult from Pillar wasnt directed at the millions of gays in North-America, it was directed at the pitcher himself (who AFAIK isnt even gay).
Right here is the absolute crux of your fucking idiocy. It's a shining example of how fucking stupid you are, or how much of a troll you are. Either way, you're not worth engaging in serious discussion.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 05-19-2017, 04:56 PM
Esco Esco is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto & Amsterdam NL
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Not when you're trolling everyone
How am I trolling when I'm just stating my opinion??
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 05-19-2017, 05:06 PM
Colibri Colibri is offline
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 35,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
How am I trolling when I'm just stating my opinion??
All you're doing with responses like this is confirming that you're trolling. No one is as stupid as you pretend to be.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 05-19-2017, 05:07 PM
Procrustus Procrustus is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pacific NW.
Posts: 9,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
How am I trolling when I'm just stating my opinion??
Obviously, it's not your actual opinion, but a parody of an ignorant asshole's view of the world.

ETA: Ninja'd by Colibri

Last edited by Procrustus; 05-19-2017 at 05:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 05-19-2017, 05:15 PM
Euphonious Polemic Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
How am I trolling when I'm just stating my opinion??
"just fucking with you" is pretty much the textbook definition of trolling. In other words, you don't even believe the shit you are spewing, you just are spewing it to get a rise out of people.

Are you that lonely? Do these replies make you feel that you have a meaning in your life - that you are not the worthless nonentity that you suspect yourself to be?
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 05-19-2017, 05:19 PM
Esco Esco is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto & Amsterdam NL
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
All you're doing with responses like this is confirming that you're trolling. No one is as stupid as you pretend to be
Lets say I really was that stupid, wouldnt you be bigoted against low IQ people with your slur??

Anywho, the whole point of my previous post was, if MLB is gonna suspend people for slurs thats fine, but lets be fair and make it equal across the board and suspend EVERYONE for ANY type of slur
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.