Old 01-12-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xema View Post
Actually, 236.588.
Just because one is precise, it does not mean one is accurate

Advertisements  
Old 02-10-2017, 03:19 PM

wtf is a cup ? ;}

Hi , the original poster my have the same issues as myself. (NB I am making indirect reference to other somewhat random responses to the original question]. The internet is not nation based , so when one finds a decent recipe, you go with it, only to find it uses archaic terms such as "cup" !!? In the uk 'cup' refers to a Breast/bra size ! >eg B cup or if you'r lucky/unlucky , DD cup !
So no surprise us Europeans are a little bit confused by your [US] terminology. This is why Metric was created, grams for weight, litres [or in this case millilitres] for volume.
I now know that a cup in US cooking is a half pint. In the uk, 250ml. but strangely 240ml in the Americas. Another reason to use Metric is that US and former overlords, the UK Imperial measurements do not match! Any functional, trans-national organisation uses metric. just sayin.....

Anyway,>>> point>>>> US cup = Half Pint =250ml [ish] ! ;}
Old 02-10-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rix2020 View Post
Hi , the original poster my have the same issues as myself. (NB I am making indirect reference to other somewhat random responses to the original question]. The internet is not nation based , so when one finds a decent recipe, you go with it, only to find it uses archaic terms such as "cup" !!? In the uk 'cup' refers to a Breast/bra size ! >eg B cup or if you'r lucky/unlucky , DD cup !
So no surprise us Europeans are a little bit confused by your [US] terminology. This is why Metric was created, grams for weight, litres [or in this case millilitres] for volume.
I now know that a cup in US cooking is a half pint. In the uk, 250ml. but strangely 240ml in the Americas. Another reason to use Metric is that US and former overlords, the UK Imperial measurements do not match! Any functional, trans-national organisation uses metric. just sayin.....

Anyway,>>> point>>>> US cup = Half Pint =250ml [ish] ! ;}
This is a point of great shame to me as an American. WHY we couldn't get on board with metric is beyond me.

I make herbal medicine, for which we use ounces of dried herb and ounces of liquid solvent (usually alcohol and water) - BUT we're talking about different "ounces". In the same recipe. The dried herb is measured in ounces by weight. The liquid is measured by ounces in volume. It's maddening. I don't know why we can't just convert everything to milligrams and milliliters, except that it would mean a lot of time in the lab and rewriting all my charts.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

The thing is, unless you're trying to order a pint of beer in the United States, imperial measurements don't mean jack shit. A cup is a cup, a pint is a (US) pint, and everything else is Kosher.

My litmus test is, will my mother benefit from a wholesale conversion to the metric system? Secondarily, will the first amendment be violated by a mandate for the metric system?

I use cups, oz, grams, ml interchangeably. Maybe I'm awesome, but I tend to think that units of measure are simply units of measure so deal with it. It's not brain surgery or rocket science to approximate 28 grams. Recipes (other than some baking recipes, especially bread) just don't need that much accuracy unless you're running a chain that requires consistency. And good bread recipes are percent based and work with any unit of measurement.

Yeah, the metric system is nice. I use it (seriously, my house and car are in centigrade), but why should I force others -- my dear mother -- to use it?

Stop telling us how stupid we are. It works, and it works well for us.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:19 PM

I just learned that in a perfect world, bras would be sized in milliliters.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
I just learned that in a perfect world, bras would be sized in milliliters.
And, for some people, condoms.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:23 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

nvm

Last edited by Skywatcher; 02-10-2017 at 10:23 PM..
Old 02-11-2017, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
Yeah, the metric system is nice. I use it (seriously, my house and car are in centigrade), but why should I force others -- my dear mother -- to use it?

Stop telling us how stupid we are. It works, and it works well for us.
We ARE stupid for not converting wholesale, and the reason we're stupid is because of people like your mother, and my mother, and lots of people's mothers (and at my age, many of my contemporaries) being so damned set in their ways and afraid of doing anything different or relearning anything. I also blame the same idiotic pigheadedness for the convection ovens not being the norm in all kitchens. It is American Exceptionalism at its worse, preventing us from moving forward. America does it this way, ergo it must be the best way.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
I also blame the same idiotic pigheadedness for the convection ovens not being the norm in all kitchens.
Wait, you can still buy a non-convection oven? It's literally just a fan. Good good, do they still sell ovens with gas marks? Okay, that's the British term. I can't remember what we called it when I was growing up, but it definitely wasn't a set temperature!
Old 02-11-2017, 08:15 PM

A further embarrassment, sadly not confined to the US, is a lack of scientific thinking which allows phony "medicines" to proliferate and people to sell herbs as "medicinal" despite the horrible conditions under which they're produced and the simple fact most of them either don't work, or don't work unless you actually get the active ingredient in the pills, which the manufacturers cannot and do not guarantee.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Jeff View Post
As mentioned upthread, in US cooking, a cup is a unit of volume. If you're going to start cooking I recommend you get 1) a set of nested measuring spoons, B) a set of nested measuring cups, and III) a 1 or 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njtt View Post
Outside of the USA (and perhaps Canada) you probably can't. Not ones that are calibrated to US measures.
I'd bet outside the US you can get a set of nested 5, 10, 25, and 50 mL spoons and sets of 50, 100, and 250 mL cups. And pyrex 250 and 500 mL cups. Maybe even a 1 litre one also.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
Wait, you can still buy a non-convection oven? It's literally just a fan. Good good, do they still sell ovens with gas marks? Okay, that's the British term. I can't remember what we called it when I was growing up, but it definitely wasn't a set temperature!
No gas marks that I've seen, but non-convection ovens abound, for little more reason that all the cookbooks on everyone's shelves are written for non-convection ovens.