The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-08-2017, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Possibly a version of "Zero Hour" by Ray Bradbury? This one post-dates your memory.

Last edited by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker; 02-08-2017 at 12:28 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 02-09-2017, 06:43 PM

When did it come out?
I dont know, i would have seen it in the late 60's, early 70's

Who was in it?
I have no idea, actors wise, unless your name is Welch or Lollobrigida
I probably didnt remember it back then

What plot if any do you remember?
It was a scifi / horror movie, involved something of a discovered space craft or capsule that had been buried or something since the precambian time period. And a scientist of course.

There was something about large prehistoric bugs, and at the end i think the scientist
winds up getting his arm ripped off, and i seem to remember him walking down a stairway with his shoulder stump rubbing blood on the wall.

What was special to you about it?
I stayed up all night to watch it, of course now i cant remember what the heck it was, it was in black and white

Any other clues you can think of?
Sadly none. Anyone else have a clue?
Old 02-09-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weisshund View Post
When did it come out?
I dont know, i would have seen it in the late 60's, early 70's

Who was in it?
I have no idea, actors wise, unless your name is Welch or Lollobrigida
I probably didnt remember it back then

It was a scifi / horror movie, involved something of a discovered space craft or capsule that had been buried or something since the precambian time period. And a scientist of course.

There was something about large prehistoric bugs, and at the end i think the scientist
winds up getting his arm ripped off, and i seem to remember him walking down a stairway with his shoulder stump rubbing blood on the wall.

I stayed up all night to watch it, of course now i cant remember what the heck it was, it was in black and white

Sadly none. Anyone else have a clue?
Five Million Years to Earth (aka Quatermass and the Pit)

That arm ripped off is from another movie. Was there a severed head in a pan? Brain That Wouldn't Die? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052646/

Last edited by Miss Mapp; 02-09-2017 at 06:51 PM..
Old 02-10-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mapp View Post
Five Million Years to Earth (aka Quatermass and the Pit)

That arm ripped off is from another movie. Was there a severed head in a pan? Brain That Wouldn't Die? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052646/
1st
I love you, are you married?
LoL kidding.

You have no idea how long it's bugged me that i could not remember that movies name.
I never realized it was on color. back then i dont think i knew anybody with a color TV

I do not remember a head in a pan, and i could be confusing 2 movies together.
They were the kinds of things WXIX in cincinnati played between 1AM and 5AM, so there would be unfortunate bouts of dozing off during a commercial, so you could be correct, i looked up a still shot of the lab from it, and it looks strangely familiar.
Damned commercial dozing

I remember a poor guy, white lab coat, arm torn off at the shoulder, trying to make his way back down a cellar type of stair case back to his lab, i will have to watch virginia's head in a pan and see.

You obviously did not have trouble keeping awake during the commercials

Last edited by Weisshund; 02-10-2017 at 11:23 PM..
Old 02-10-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mapp;19989649Brain That Wouldn't Die? [url
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052646/[/url]

Strange but look what i found in wikipedia, the whole movie
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:T...dn%27t_Die.ogv
Old 02-10-2017, 11:42 PM

Anything by "Lash LaRue". We used to watch this in the German cinemas after WWII and if we could beg enough coins to do so.

In German, it was called "Larrie Larrue". Actually and in German - Phonetically: La RIE La Roo-heh"

He was Indiana before Indie was cool. Lash Larue!
Old 02-11-2017, 04:30 AM

I saw this movie in 1984 but it is an old black and white movie that looks as if were made in the1940s.
At the beginning of the movie there are a maid and a butler meticulously preparing their wealthy employer's breakfast including heating the newspaper for that " fresh off the presses" feel. They work their way up to his room and the maid accidentally bumps the butler's arm and he sighs and rolls his eyes and they return to the kitchen to start from scratch.
Later the servants accompany the wealthy family on a cruise and they are shipwrecked and the shoe is on the other foot because the butler is knowledgeable enough to survive and they eat crow and learn a valuable lesson. They are rescued by British sailors who start laughing when they see that the butler as returned to his suit and tie with a tray on his hand ready to resume his butler role.
It was a charning classic kind of movie.
Much obliged!
Old 02-11-2017, 04:33 AM
Charter Member

The Admirable Crichton
Old 02-12-2017, 09:42 PM

Thanks, Earl!

Yes, it must have been Zero Hour, but it wasn't this version by the Ray Bradbury Theater, which I looked at on Youtube (or ABC's "The Whisperers"). What I saw was definitely long before VHS. I searched for versions of Zero Hour, but nothing came up from the 1970s. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:54 PM

trapped in time

When did it come out? 50's 60's
Who was in it? unknown
What plot if any do you remember? a test pilot travels so fast that he is moving at high speed. Every thing he sees seems frozen, he realizes things are moving but very slowly He sees a girl on a trike about to get hit with a truck, but can't do anything about

Any other clues you can think of? it may have been a TV show like Twilight Zone or Outer Limits
Old 02-21-2017, 05:23 PM

It's an Outer Limits epi called, "The Premonition." The only reason I know is because I saw it recently, by accident.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:39 PM

YES! Thanks!! I hope I can find it!!
Old 02-21-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin North View Post
YES! Thanks!! I hope I can find it!!
It's on Hulu as we speak. HURRY! Before they change their mind. And while you're in the neighborhood, catch the Sand Shark episode with Adam West (can not be watched too often).
Old 02-22-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonexandScout View Post
Here's one that has stumped me for over 10 years:

When seen: Early 1960s

Genre: It was a Sinbad voyage or similar, much of the action occurred on ships

Locale: Like Sinbad, it was set in a vague middle-Eastern location

Plot: There's a nefarious vizier or wizard who (as usual) wants to find something of great value (vague, I know)

Memorable Scene: The evil vizier or wizard creates an automaton or life-size doll in the shape of a beautiful woman, As I recall, she is dressed in a costume similar to that of a belly-dancer (overflowing halter, harem pants, bare midriff). The purpose of the automaton is to assassinate a king or emperor. It will do so by hugging the victim tightly. In order to test his creation, the vizier calls in some innocent guard and tells him, "Hey, this beautiful woman would like to meet you." The guard is obviously pleased and walks right over, only to be embraced to death! He-heh! The entire time, the expression on the automaton's face never changes.

I remember this one scene because it was quite terrifying to me at my age to see a beautiful "woman" killing some poor innocent guy. I have literally (in the proper sense) gone through the IMDB lists of fantasy movies for this period and can't seem to identify it. As I recall, the production was typical of many 1960s fantasy movies. I don't remember if there were any Harryhausen effects or much else about it.

Help! This drives me nuts!
Might it be Thief of Bagdad (1940)?
Old 02-25-2017, 06:47 PM

movie

the plot of the movie was a boy was painting a church white with his dad and this guy (i think he was a gangster or something) wants to paint the church red. he then kills the dad and leaves a knife and the kid picks it up and tries to kill him a a bar and cant. he leaves the town and returns 10-20 years later. he befriends and a native american tribe and they try and kill this guy. the guy at this point has control over a lot of the town so they have to kill alot of people. its a western and ive been trying to figure out the name of this movie for years. i dont think anyone well known is in the movie and its probably from late 2000s early 2010s. if someone could help me out it would be well appreciated
Old 02-26-2017, 12:55 AM

"The night belongs to the day which it follows"

I Don't remember much for sure about the movie, but it was a vampire movie with a line, "The night belongs to the day which it follows". It seems that it may have started with a woman detective investigating a series of murders; it seems that she met the vampire to find that he may have been hunting the murderer as well, (but I'm far from certain about that). It seems that they started falling in love, but he refused to change her. I seem to remember that he died watching one last sunrise with her. I Don't know the actors'names, the production company, or anything like that. While I Don't know when it was made, it seems that it had a "feel" of being made in the 80's, but I Don't know for sure.

Last edited by Fathom; 02-26-2017 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: I missed a closing quotation mark.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:53 AM

60s or 70s movie

To this day, I still think about the movie I saw as a little girl that gave me nightmares for many years. I'm 55 now and have thought about it to the point of going great distances to find the name.

Does anyone remember a movie where the last seen took place on a plane and as the person looked out the window some soft of animal or monster appeared at the window. I believe the plane was in flight. But don't hold me to that, I was very young.

Thank you
Old 03-11-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndaMyCuvaz View Post
Does anyone remember a movie where the last seen took place on a plane and as the person looked out the window some soft of animal or monster appeared at the window. I believe the plane was in flight. But don't hold me to that, I was very young.
Easy one.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Possibly the Twilight Zone episode Nightmare At 20,000 feet? It's the Twilight Zone, so it's only a few minutes long, but it involved a gremlin on the wing of a plane which ended up being real (kinda, no one actually saw it but Shatner, but there was evidence of it being there when the plane landed). Screenshot
Old 03-11-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_diego View Post
A woman in love with a soldier in the French army, and she was called Mdmsl. Cigarette.
"Under Two Flags."
Old 03-13-2017, 09:18 AM

Thank you all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
Possibly the Twilight Zone episode Nightmare At 20,000 feet? It's the Twilight Zone, so it's only a few minutes long, but it involved a gremlin on the wing of a plane which ended up being real (kinda, no one actually saw it but Shatner, but there was evidence of it being there when the plane landed). Screenshot
Yes that's it. Thank you so much.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:19 AM

Thank you all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Yes that's it. Thank you very much.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:05 PM

funky space station and ships with opening noses

Hey all, I really need help trying to figure out what this flick was.

Here's what I remember:

it's probably from the 50's or 60's
There's a base that becomes a space station
the station has at least 4 missile launching tubes
the people on the station are led around by a robot that points to black boxes that white caps with cords get plugged into
the enemy ships are gold colored and their nose cones swing open to reveal red laser cannons.
The base/station looks like half an octopus with those launcher tubes.
I remember watching this movie on the old Sci-Fi channel.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2017, 11:11 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weisshund View Post
Strange but look what i found in wikipedia, the whole movie
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:T...dn%27t_Die.ogv
The movie's been in the public domain for years. This version is a lot more fun.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviourChaos View Post
Hey all, I really need help trying to figure out what this flick was.

Here's what I remember:

it's probably from the 50's or 60's
There's a base that becomes a space station
the station has at least 4 missile launching tubes
the people on the station are led around by a robot that points to black boxes that white caps with cords get plugged into
the enemy ships are gold colored and their nose cones swing open to reveal red laser cannons.
The base/station looks like half an octopus with those launcher tubes.
I remember watching this movie on the old Sci-Fi channel.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
The Terrornauts (1967)
Old 03-15-2017, 05:25 PM

A short-length B&W comedy piece...40s-50s era...apparently, tourists visit a movie studio.

The part that stuck out for me was someone trying to give directions by continuously walking through a turnstile:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GWy56bkVuH.../turnstile.jpg
Old 03-17-2017, 12:40 PM

A movie, probably filmed in the '30s, but could be as late as the 60's.

Per my memory, set in the times of the French revolution.

Guy is (wrongly?) convicted and sentenced. Part of his sentence is to be blinded right in court (!). But, the guy doing the blinding is a confederate, so he fakes it by crushing grapes instead. Guy is sent to prison "blinded" but later does...something. All I remember is the blinding. Made quite an impression, obviously.

It has the feel of something based on Dumas, but it could be a film that is just similar.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:17 PM

When did it come out?
I'm not sure, I remember watching reruns of it on an independent tv channel on Sunday afternoons in the mid to late 70's.

Who was in it?
It was an animation, I can't recall the voice actors.

It was a surreal adventure movie. The scene I remember was a (dream?) sequence when the protagonist is being chased by creatures poking them with sticks and chanting "BAR-BEE-QUE".

Relative to other kid's movies it seemed rather dark.

There is another sequence I remember, but I can't be certain if it was from the same movie. But a man performing a magic trick gives a person a sword and asks that person to chop off his arm. The person obliges, but the man pulls his arm through the sword like he was a ghost, without harm.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:19 PM

Looking for late 70's early 80's movie

I'm looking for a movie that I recall watching when I was a kid. I remember seeing it in the early to mid-80s. I don't remember a great deal however this kid was going through these woods and had a little person with him as a sidekick. The person with him was dressed very Renaissance. And he seemed to be almost like a trickster or leading him to not go where the kid wanted to go. I don't remember what he was looking for it seemed like he was trying to find something in regard to his sister. At one point through his journey he ended up on a beach and the sand in the ocean appeared to go for miles but then he realized that it was a mirror so he found something to break the mirror and on the other side of that glass was a dark dungeon that had an M.C. Escher feel to it. I don't remember much after that but at the end of the movie he came back to his bed room through his armoire and his apartment complex had burned and his family was on the lawn and that's all I remember. But it seems to me like the kid looks a lot like the kid from ET. Typical skinny white kid with brown hair and pale skin, he wore a flannel shirt in the movie with a hoodie sweatshirt that zipped up.

I feel that it's almost as though this is a situation much like people that remember Sinbad being in the movie Shazam LOL, it wasn't real but half of Americans remember it and would swear that it was although it was actually Kazaam with Shaq, I swear I've seen them both lol...
Old 04-17-2017, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Time Bandits

trailer. You can see the smashing the mirror (actually, an invisible barrier) bit near the end.

Last edited by Peter Morris; 04-17-2017 at 06:44 PM..
Old 04-19-2017, 02:46 PM

Unknown Movie

My Mom wants to find a movie she saw in the 70s or early 80s.

All she can remember is people lived underground and were told they would burn up in the sun.

The hero from the surface falls in love with a girl down there and begs her to come up with him, she can't because she'll burn up.

The girl's father eventually tells her she was found as a baby and isn't really one of them, so she goes with the hero.

She looks at the sun (doesn't burn up) but walks right off a cliff while admiring it - THE END.

Any one know what this is?
Old 04-19-2017, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

I remember a science fiction movie that I think was set in a jungle in South America and was in HBO in the early 1980s. At one point some guy was frantically running through the thicket and caught by a mudman. At the end of the movie, the human characters are at some research station or building in a remote area and need to leave quick because aliens ( I think) were coming. That's all I remember.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
A movie, probably filmed in the '30s, but could be as late as the 60's.

Per my memory, set in the times of the French revolution.

Guy is (wrongly?) convicted and sentenced. Part of his sentence is to be blinded right in court (!). But, the guy doing the blinding is a confederate, so he fakes it by crushing grapes instead. Guy is sent to prison "blinded" but later does...something. All I remember is the blinding. Made quite an impression, obviously.

It has the feel of something based on Dumas, but it could be a film that is just similar.

Prince of Foxes

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041767/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Old 06-13-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropo View Post
Wow! Thanks. I have no memory of anything else from that movie. Orson Wells! Tyrone Power! But gouged out eyes, that I remember. (Rereading my post, it's amazing how much else I got wrong.)

You know, I always check when this thread gets revived, just in case. This time, it was for me!

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 06-13-2017 at 10:53 AM..
Old 07-19-2017, 09:00 PM

Time Travel movie from the 70s

When did it come out? 1970s - watched it in elementary school in '78 or '79

Who was in it? a lady and a kid

What plot if any do you remember? Female scientist brings a "cave boy" (or maybe it was a girl) to the present time through a time machine or something-or-other; child is wild but mellows as they develop relationship; in the end, the scientist had to send the kid back to his own time

What was special to you about it? We always wanted to watch this movie again and again. We always cried - the whole class!

Any other clues you can think of? It seems that it took place in a (70s) very modern building and that it had some cool/new age-y type music that we loved.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carina Suferia View Post
When did it come out? 1970s - watched it in elementary school in '78 or '79

Who was in it? a lady and a kid

What plot if any do you remember? Female scientist brings a "cave boy" (or maybe it was a girl) to the present time through a time machine or something-or-other; child is wild but mellows as they develop relationship; in the end, the scientist had to send the kid back to his own time

What was special to you about it? We always wanted to watch this movie again and again. We always cried - the whole class!

Any other clues you can think of? It seems that it took place in a (70s) very modern building and that it had some cool/new age-y type music that we loved.
Sounds like Asimov's short story, The Ugly Little Boy. IMDB has this listing for a Canadian TV version: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0176261
Old 07-19-2017, 10:24 PM

That's It!

After years of wondering . . . you got it right! Just watched it on YouTube. Funny how all I remembered was the relationship between the boy and the nurse - of course, it was the emotional aspect of the film that made us cry. What a blast from the past! Thank you.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:44 PM

Came out in 1940's (prior to Chuck Yeager breaking the sound barrier) or perhaps the 1950's. I saw in 70's. Pilots or (pilot/copilot) of plane(s) that break the sound barrier encounter civilization that somehow lives there. One of the pilots falls for a supersonic girl, who is the daughter of the grand poobah (I remember him as a cross between Perry White on TVs Adventures of Superman and of Peter Parker's 'Gentle Uncle Ben' in the Sunday comics Spiderman). At the end, the pilots are able to return to our sub-sonic world but I don't remember how. That is all I remember, no actors or year of release. It has bugged me for decades.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
http://irememberthismovie.com/ is a site devoted to this topic. Might want to check it out.
The revival of this thread lead me to check out this site again last night. I posted a new question there, and now today I can't get the site to respond. Would someone confirm if they are getting through, or is the site really down? (I have the CRAPPIEST, most unreliable, buggy, undependable ISP imaginable).

Quote:
This site can’t be reached

The webpage at http://irememberthismovie.com/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

Last edited by Lumpy; 07-21-2017 at 05:46 PM..
Old 07-21-2017, 05:48 PM

Seems to be up; however, the first try went to Yahoo!
Old 07-21-2017, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

I may have to go to the library just to use some other computer to try the site.
I swear I'm either jinxed or on some secret internet blacklist.
Quote:
This site canít be reached

irememberthismovie.comís server DNS address could not be found.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN
Old 07-22-2017, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Site finally responding again. Also, I'll repeat my mystery movie question here:

I once caught the very end of an animated movie on television. An army of shrews (dressed in Napoleonic-era army uniforms) were being catapulted over the battlements of a castle where a human girl was being held prisoner by reptilian creatures similar to a cross between dragons and velociraptors. The shrews had venomous bites and each raptor would quickly succumb when bitten on the tail.

I think this might have been aired on the Sunday (not Saturday) morning children's programming time slot that CBS had once upon a time. But I'm far from certain about that.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

And whaddya know...

NOW I find the exact right combination of search terms to find the needle in the haystack:

"The Talking Parcel": adaptation of the book (a.k.a. The Battle For Castle Cockatrice") by Gerald Durrell. Featured on PBS's "Long Ago And Far Away" series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORcfOjVpBq4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kamWetCF65g

(OK, they're cockatrices. Mostly bird, although they do have long reptilian tails and clawed hands).
Old 07-28-2017, 11:32 PM

Help me find the name of this movie.

I remember an old movie (black and white, I think) with the premise that a guy is stranded at an old house with secret passages where girls sing a weird song and where the end scene takes place in a barn and he gets stabbed with a hay hook but pushes the person into a wheat thresher. The whole movie takes place in the creepy old house and the creepy girl uses the secret passageways. Movie is probably from 50's or 60's.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:05 AM

I hope someone knows this movie's title

When did it come out? Late 70's early 80's
Who was in it? Don't remember
What plot if any do you remember? No clue
What was special to you about it? It was the first time I got to watch a scary movie

Any other clues you can think of? Ok bare with me I was live 5 when I saw this and I only remember a small bit. So I know there was blood coming out of the pipes in the kitchen. ( kitchen was a bright color maybe yellow) The family was getting ready for a kids birthday party.

This is what I think I remember a family consisting of a Father, Mother, a teenager child & maybe 2 or 3 smaller kids (maybe 12 or 11 in age on down) no toddlers or babies.

They moved into a new house before the party, wasn't in a big city more like rural area but not like out in the country.

Not much to go on I know but I've been looking for this movie for over 30 years PLEASE HELP!!
Old 07-29-2017, 04:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem612ini View Post
So I know there was blood coming out of the pipes in the kitchen.
It was probably Child's Play, an episode of the Hammer House Of Mystery And Suspense. I can't describe it without spoiling the twist, but it's a commonly half-remembered movie. This link covers the plot well.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

The House That Bled to Death

clip with bleeding pipes
Old 07-29-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
Came out in 1940's (prior to Chuck Yeager breaking the sound barrier) or perhaps the 1950's. I saw in 70's. Pilots or (pilot/copilot) of plane(s) that break the sound barrier encounter civilization that somehow lives there. One of the pilots falls for a supersonic girl, who is the daughter of the grand poobah (I remember him as a cross between Perry White on TVs Adventures of Superman and of Peter Parker's 'Gentle Uncle Ben' in the Sunday comics Spiderman). At the end, the pilots are able to return to our sub-sonic world but I don't remember how. That is all I remember, no actors or year of release. It has bugged me for decades.
Much of this description fits Beyond the Time Barrier

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053651/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Old 07-30-2017, 06:12 PM

Animated movie on TV

It was an animated movie about Noah's Ark and the Great Flood. However, it was very different from all the other animated versions because this one did not look hokey like the ones for children. It was almost like paintings. There was very little dialogue. In fact, when it came on I didn't see the credits so I almost didn't know what it was.

It was on t.v. I want to say late 90s or early 2000s. I think the same time as "Prince of Egypt".
Old 07-30-2017, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Fantasia 2000? Or a clip from it?