The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 03-07-2007, 07:48 PM

Classical Trance Music & Other Electronic Mixes/Reinterpretations

I'm probably reaching for a very rare subgenre of modern music here, but I know there are some folks here who're familiar with electronic dance music. I'm a big fan of progressive trance and house styles from artists and DJs like Armin van Buuren, Tiesto, Digweed, Sasha, Ferry Corsten, Menno de Jong, Rank1, Above & Beyond, Chicane, etc. If you know these artists, then you know what I'm on about. What I'm looking for are dance mixes of classical music and the artists who might dabble in it. The most popular example of this might currently be William Orbit's reinterpretation of Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings (later remixed by Ferry Corsten and then, of course, Tiesto, who basically took all the credit). A great track, no doubt, but we've all heard it by now and I think it's unfortunate that there isn't more exposure of this sort of style that brings old and new together to give beautiful, well-established classical melodies a fresh spin with an uplifting, energetic new sound. I absolutely love the genre idea and wish I could find more of it. I know Vivaldi's violin concertos are beautiful as is, of course, but I also think they have the potential to serve as the basis for some truly epic dance music.

I've been to sites like Ultramax Music (essentially the first link that comes up when you Google "classical trance") and it does appear at first glance to be exactly what I'm talking about, but the music samples are amateurish, very synth-heavy, lacking depth, and poorly mixed with terrible beat matching and harmonic dissonance that makes my skin crawl. They're just looking to sell a cheapo album. And then there's a site like this which might be closer in nature to what I'm after even though several of the samples there aren't classical pieces but tend towards the use of natural-sounding instrumentation like pianos, strings, and synth pads. Four pages of great examples in melodic trance that are classics in the modern era, but not necessarily classical.

It seems to be a genre that doesn't even exist really, but any websites, albums, or track name suggestions are welcome and appreciated!
Advertisements  
Old 03-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamnesis
I'm probably reaching for a very rare subgenre of modern music here, but I know there are some folks here who're familiar with electronic dance music. I'm a big fan of progressive trance and house styles from artists and DJs like Armin van Buuren, Tiesto, Digweed, Sasha, Ferry Corsten, Menno de Jong, Rank1, Above & Beyond, Chicane, etc.
Me too. I'll be seeing Armin tomorrow night.

Quote:
If you know these artists, then you know what I'm on about. What I'm looking for are dance mixes of classical music and the artists who might dabble in it. The most popular example of this might currently be William Orbit's reinterpretation of Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings (later remixed by Ferry Corsten and then, of course, Tiesto, who basically took all the credit). A great track, no doubt, but we've all heard it by now and I think it's unfortunate that there isn't more exposure of this sort of style that brings old and new together to give beautiful, well-established classical melodies a fresh spin with an uplifting, energetic new sound. I absolutely love the genre idea and wish I could find more of it. I know Vivaldi's violin concertos are beautiful as is, of course, but I also think they have the potential to serve as the basis for some truly epic dance music.

I've been to sites like Ultramax Music (essentially the first link that comes up when you Google "classical trance") and it does appear at first glance to be exactly what I'm talking about, but the music samples are amateurish, very synth-heavy, lacking depth, and poorly mixed with terrible beat matching and harmonic dissonance that makes my skin crawl. They're just looking to sell a cheapo album. And then there's a site like this which might be closer in nature to what I'm after even though several of the samples there aren't classical pieces but tend towards the use of natural-sounding instrumentation like pianos, strings, and synth pads. Four pages of great examples in melodic trance that are classics in the modern era, but not necessarily classical.

It seems to be a genre that doesn't even exist really, but any websites, albums, or track name suggestions are welcome and appreciated!
There's Classical Trancelations (warning...the site plays music at you) on Armin's label.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yookeroo
Me too. I'll be seeing Armin tomorrow night.
Nice! I'm gonna be seeing him here in Chicago on Saturday night exactly 24 hours after you do. This week's episode of A State Of Trance that was on the air a few hours ago seemed like one of the better ones in recent memory and if his set is comparable, I'll be dead by 1AM.

That Classical Trancelations site looks cool, but I can't get the tracks from either disc in that Jan Vayne album to play in the music player.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Maybe here?
Old 03-09-2007, 03:39 PM

I can't seem to get those to play either.

It's playing other samples not from that album. What's the deal with these flash players? Did you actually get them to play the songs from the Classical Trancelations album before you posted the link?
Old 03-10-2007, 04:17 AM

Sorry if I missed its mention but I much prefer the other famous classical sampled trance titled

Aria - Dido (Armin Van Buuren's Universal Religion Mix)

You start with Henry Purcell's opera Dido and Aeneas. Take the final aria 'Dido's Lament - When I'm laid in earth'. Get Paul Schwartz to rework it in his electronic music. Take that product and get AvB to make a very nice trance track out of it.

There's also Aria - Willow (Dj Tiesto Magical Remake), which uses an aria from Verdi's Otello. This one's alright.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Gyan II
Sorry if I missed its mention but I much prefer the other famous classical sampled trance titled

Aria - Dido (Armin Van Buuren's Universal Religion Mix)

You start with Henry Purcell's opera Dido and Aeneas. Take the final aria 'Dido's Lament - When I'm laid in earth'. Get Paul Schwartz to rework it in his electronic music. Take that product and get AvB to make a very nice trance track out of it.
That's a great track. Gorgeous.

Both TiŽsto and Above & Beyond have reworked Albinoni's "Adagio in G minor" ("Athena" & "Albinoni" respectively). TiŽsto has also done a version of the Bell Song from Lakme.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:04 PM

Thanks so much for the tracks, Yookeroo. Great stuff. Had a wild time last night with AVB. I have a tendency to, er, shoot my wad early ... couldn't last the whole set because I was dancing from 10 until 3 and the place was so packed with people I could barely breathe. I haven't struggled to breathe that much since I frequented the steam room at my gym. I suppose that didn't slow me down when I was in my prime a few years back, but I'm starting to notice it nowadays. My back was starting to buckle too because when I used to dance a lot I'd rely on my midsection to take up the slack when my other muscles were tired. Now that part of me doesn't even work too well. I suppose I could say I'm just getting old, but it's really just because I'm out of shape from the winter freeze.

I think last night was just what I needed to kick-start the process of getting back into shape this spring. Those tracks will no doubt be a valuable aid to that end! Thanks again.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the introduction. I had no idea anything like this existed, but I'm sufficiently interested to check it out.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks so much for the tracks, Yookeroo. Great stuff. Had a wild time last night with AVB. I have a tendency to, er, shoot my wad early ... couldn't last the whole set because I was dancing from 10 until 3 and the place was so packed with people I could barely breathe. I haven't struggled to breathe that much since I frequented the steam room at my gym. I suppose that didn't slow me down when I was in my prime a few years back, but I'm starting to notice it nowadays. My back was starting to buckle too because when I used to dance a lot I'd rely on my midsection to take up the slack when my other muscles were tired. Now that part of me doesn't even work too well. I suppose I could say I'm just getting old, but it's really just because I'm out of shape from the winter freeze.
San Diego was packed & hot too. I can ususally make it to the end, but I tend to pace myself when dancing. Plus I only go out about once a month or so.

Quote:
I think last night was just what I needed to kick-start the process of getting back into shape this spring. Those tracks will no doubt be a valuable aid to that end! Thanks again.
You're welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Lime Guy
Thanks for the introduction. I had no idea anything like this existed, but I'm sufficiently interested to check it out.
I think electronic music lends itself very well to re-interpreting classical. Probably stared with Wendy Carlos. I think trance is a really nice fit. The Ferry Corsten remix of Adagio For Strings is a classic dance song.

One other thing I ran across: Classical Trance. Haven't heard it myself, but it looks interesting.

For non-dancy classical electronica, check out William Orbit's Pieces in a Modern Style. It's got Adagio For Strings and the Ferry remix.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:57 AM

I LOVE classical Trance. I think both genres have the ability to provoke intense emotional reactions and when fused together with skill the result can be quite beautiful. The great composers were pioneers of their day and if they were alive now I am sure they would be experimenting with synthesisers and sequencers.

If you like that sort of thing please check out my 2 hour Classical Trance mix, comments welcome https://www.mixcloud.com/DJ_Gadget/c...ons-in-trance/

Happy Listening!

DJ Gadget
Old 02-02-2017, 10:29 AM

This is epic: Thomas Tallis - Third Mode Melody (Natlife 5 Late Century Mix)
Old 02-03-2017, 03:52 PM

An interesting question. I've heard some of Tiesto's, and am a big fan of songs like Faithless's "Drifting Away" which is worth a listen. I will follow this thread with interest.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:35 PM

Some of these songs, with random Youtube nature images, are listed in a site called talk classical.com in a similar 2012 thread by Techniquest. DJ Gadget responded there as well. You probably already Googled it. Some good music (some better than others, which is typical for trance).
Old 02-09-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Gadget View Post
I LOVE classical Trance. I think both genres have the ability to provoke intense emotional reactions and when fused together with skill the result can be quite beautiful. The great composers were pioneers of their day and if they were alive now I am sure they would be experimenting with synthesisers and sequencers.

If you like that sort of thing please check out my 2 hour Classical Trance mix, comments welcome https://www.mixcloud.com/DJ_Gadget/c...ons-in-trance/

Happy Listening!

DJ Gadget
I love that kind of music too. I'm excited to have found this thread! I will definitely be checking out your mix!
Old 02-13-2017, 07:03 AM

Thanks Heather, I hope you like it

DJ Gadget