The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-11-2017, 07:44 PM

SNL 02/11/1017; Alec Baldwin hosting.

Alec Baldwin's hosting SNL tonight so we're likely to see multiple Trump sketches (hopefully not everything he's in will be, even I think that'd be overkill). Rumour has it Rosie O'Donnell may play Steve Bannon in a sketch. Crossdressing really seems to bother Trump. I know he's busy hosting the Prime Minister of Japan, but it'd be hilarious if he responds to tonight's SNL episode before he does to Kim Jong-un latest stunt.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:38 AM

I give it a B-.

The cold start with Spicer was not very good. Last week's was terrific, but this one lacked the surprise and novelty. My favorite part was the skit with KellyAnn Conway that was riff on Fatal Attraction. And the blending of Black History Month with Valentine's day was pretty good, too. Otherwise, not up to their usual standard.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Crossdressing really seems to bother Trump.
Leslie Jones as Donald Trump.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...094a129eba0da?
Old 02-12-2017, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Hard cut: Cheetos.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
My favorite part was the skit with KellyAnn Conway that was riff on Fatal Attraction.
I've been enjoying these movie parodies with a nutty, fame-hungry Conway. A couple of weeks ago they did a pretty well-executed parody of Chicago ("The name on everyone's lips is gonna be CONWAY!"), and IMHO this week's Fatal Attraction parody was even better.

Of course, this being SNL they'll probably keep recycling this same idea past the point where it stops being funny, but for now it's working for me.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:47 PM

The Spicer bit did have the gem where he was showing off his Ivanka jewelry and they flashed a QVC price overlay on the screen. Loved that part.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
The Spicer bit did have the gem where he was showing off his Ivanka jewelry and they flashed a QVC price overlay on the screen. Loved that part.
Yep, that made me laugh out loud. McCarthy is a riot as Spicer but they would be wise to not run this bit into the ground by doing a sketch every week.

The Kellyanne Conway bits otoh have been uniformly hysterical and creepy. This week was no exception.

And the People's Court was pretty good if a bit overlong. I do love how shirtless Putin just shows up from time to time.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

I loved the motorized podium in the open. I was thinking last week it would be great if they did a bit when he is replaced with him motorvating out of DC on it.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:44 PM

I laughed more and harder for this Ep than in years. The People Court skit stood out for me.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

The show was funny, and for a change, there's been no tweets from Trump about the show. Perhaps he learned something? Or perhaps he was just distracted by the state visit of the Japanese prime minister?
Old 02-12-2017, 02:58 PM

I liked when Spicer acted things out with the dolls and then attacked everyone with the motorized podium. I also liked People's Court. Leslie's Trump was just okay. The Black History chocolates sketch was hilarious.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
I do love how shirtless Putin just shows up from time to time.
...as if Trump had built him a teleportation-pod somewhere inside Trump Tower.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merneith View Post
That was hilarious; especially the bit at the end with Melania. I liked the Black History Month collocates too.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
That was hilarious; especially the bit at the end with Melania. I liked the Black History Month collocates too.
I agree, both the Leslie Jones sketch and the chocolates commercial were great. And I liked the Spicer opening, but I'm positive that the reason that they did it again so soon was because Trump was obviously so bothered by it, otherwise they would have waited longer. I also loved Kate McKinnon's Sessions, just an ok impression, but something else that would bother Trump.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

SNL only works when it has real bite and bile. That's why the past few years of its being dumb and lazy grated so badly.

The show hates Trump. It hates itself for letting Trump host. So now it's getting even. The nastier the sketches the better they come across. Angry Sean Spicer is like watching the Hulk. Everybody loves it when he loses it.

I hope they don't beat them into the ground. That particular Sean Spicer take-down is already at its end. The meta of "Leslie Jones yells at the end of every sketch" is also old. The People's Court sketch was every cliche they've done about Trump.

Until they kill it, they're killing. This was the best episode in a long time. And their filmed pieces were great. They're always the best part of the show. (Although that's a bad thing to say about a supposedly live program.)

Do any Trump supporters here watch it at all? Can they? Would they bother? Can comedy last if only half the audience watches?

Two weeks until the next episode. The writers will be saving up material daily.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
(snip) Crossdressing really seems to bother Trump. (snip)
Really? Because when Rudy Giuliani cross-dressed the Trumpster could barely keep his tiny, tiny hands off him.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lowry View Post
... And I liked the Spicer opening, but I'm positive that the reason that they did it again so soon was because Trump was obviously so bothered by it, otherwise they would have waited longer. ...
I agree; but also, they had motorized that podium. Once you do that, you want to see it in action!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
... Can comedy last if only half the audience watches? ...
The ratings for that episode were the highest in either five or six years (depending on which source you look at)--

Quote:
The NBC comedy series, which Baldwin was hosting for a record 17th time, brought in a 7.2 overnight rating, according to NBC. That is the show's highest overnight rating since 2011.
Baldwin, who again played Trump, brought in a bigger rating than the real thing. When Trump hosted the show as a presidential candidate in November 2015, the episode brought in a 6.6 overnight rating.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/12/medi...-donald-trump/

They won't care about whether or not they're reaching Trump fans, as long as the ratings continue to hit record highs (for that show).
Old 02-12-2017, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

I really laughed at the Spicer bit after it got going. The leaf blower and the motorized podium were hysterical. And the Conway sketch was howlingly funny. The rest of it, including the obligatory Trump bit were meh. Tracy Morgan's brush with death didn't make him funny, unfortunately.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:12 PM

Please do not let Rosie do her Bannon bit on the show, only because she seems to be begging to ride coattails. Let her do her thing somewhere else.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
I've been enjoying these movie parodies with a nutty, fame-hungry Conway. A couple of weeks ago they did a pretty well-executed parody of Chicago ("The name on everyone's lips is gonna be CONWAY!"), and IMHO this week's Fatal Attraction parody was even better.
Fatal Attraction + Death Becomes Her
Old 02-12-2017, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
The ratings for that episode were the highest in either five or six years (depending on which source you look at)--

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/12/medi...-donald-trump/

They won't care about whether or not they're reaching Trump fans, as long as the ratings continue to hit record highs (for that show).
But I asked if it could last. Everything about Trump is shiny and new but, as I noted, a month in and the repetitions and cliches are already piling up. What happens in a year when everybody is sick of everything?
Old 02-12-2017, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Well, Trump seems to be doing his best to make sure that doesn't happen.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
But I asked if it could last. Everything about Trump is shiny and new but, as I noted, a month in and the repetitions and cliches are already piling up. What happens in a year when everybody is sick of everything?
SNL can starting making fun of President Pence?
Old 02-12-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
It probably won't hit the same highs and people will get sick of things to a certain extent, but I'm sure there will also be plenty of new things to satirize, whether about Trump or other people in the administration. His cabinet will certainly be more scrutinized than previous administrations. I'm pretty sure that sixteen years ago SNL couldn't have an impression of the education secretary because no one knew who that was, but now they can have Betsy DeVos appear in a sketch and everyone knows who that is and why she should be made fun of. Just making fun of how he says huge or those things will get old if they keep doing certain things over and over, but there's likely to be plenty of new things.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:24 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

That poor kid who does Putin is going to have to keep up his shirtless appearance for 4-8 years. No cast donuts or pizza parties for him!
Old 02-13-2017, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Repetition and cliche didn't stop SNL from making fun of Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II, or Obama throughout their entire terms.

Hell, four different cast members played George W. Bush (Will Ferrell, Darrell Hammond, Chris Parnell, and Will Arnett) and six (Jan Hooks, Janeane Garofalo, Vanessa Bayer, Ana Gasteyer, Amy Poehler, and Kate McKinnon) played Hillary over the years. The Trump era is still in its infancy.