The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-12-2017, 10:10 PM

Katy Perry sings a new song at The Grammys

This is a Youtube link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gsGhdZDC-0

It seems very political & very 80s vibe. (Now, who made his money in the 80s and hangs out in Florida like he's a Big Coke Player on Miami Vice? I don't know music well, so someone will probably tell me. Someday.)

Still, I think she's yelling at us. We're living in our houses & pretending there isn't a lot of trouble around... cooking to keep our minds off of the news... eating to not think of whats on CNN... and maybe drinking too much.
I think she's upset at how disconnected we've become from the craziness that we've let leak into our lives like rain water in a basement. I think she's pissed.

Its almost like she's saying, "Fuck You! Go drink. I'm sick of how you personally let me down & disengaged." Alcohol. I don't think that's the problem, but yeah, it doesn't help. Still. we should play a song and all our troubles magically go away?

Katy, the picket fence was the promise. There are too many people out there trying to steal what was promised to us as is. As for being trapped & lonely... well what would 24 ever know about what its like trying to survive past your 40s?
Maybe she needs to knock on a door and stop seeing US through a lens. Hell, she can knock on mine. Wait, there's that evil picket fence. OK, you honk your horn & one of us will come out... and we'll tell you and show you whats on the other side of that lens.

No drinks, no food. Discussion? Pokemon Go is an easy topic to start... and we'll take it from there. We're INCREDIBLY easy to talk to, Katy.

All you have to do is stop trying to blow smoke in our faces and... try.
Advertisements  
Old 02-12-2017, 10:18 PM

She's 32, not 24.

I take it as criticism of the music industry, that churns out mindless dance pop with no social relevance, unlike previous generations.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:41 AM

I also took it as a criticism of the music industry and the way we all live in bubbles of some kind.

Not sure it needs to be analyzed more than that, it's Katy Perry after all. But it is nice to see her breaking out of her fluffy bubble-gum image.

Last edited by SaharaTea; 02-13-2017 at 07:46 AM..
Old 02-13-2017, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

I didn't watch the Grammys or hear the song, but I was just wondering the other day whether today's pop music had any political or socially conscious lyrics (the way we had, for example, Cold War protest songs in the 80s).
Old 02-13-2017, 09:40 AM

Something about that video and the juxtaposition of the images and the words made it very distracting to me and I had a hard time following along. It was like "You can either watch someone cook tiny meatballs or you can read these lyrics but not both" and the tiny meatballs won. Maybe that means I'm part of the problem.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

She may have just decided that there's money to be made in politically-tinged music these days.