The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-09-2017, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

I just realized my review of Arrival was pretty spoiler-y. I've reported it to have a mod fix that.
Advertisements  
Old 02-09-2017, 04:42 PM

Seen:

La La Land ****
Arrival***
Hidden Figures**
Lion ***
Hell or High Water ***

Lion was enjoyable, moving, well-done...but dragged terribly in the middle. We know he's going to go back to India -- get on with it.

Hidden Figures ... I dunno. I *liked* it, but it seemed a tad shallow. I was surprised at the end to see that the 3 leads were all real people; I figured they had to be composites.

Arrival -- surprised by the plot turn at the end. And that's a good thing. And yay! a film about linguistics, and how language shapes our perception! How often does that happen?

We're going to try to fill in the rest but it'll be a slog. I can't say I'm looking forward to Fences at all. If I want to see a stage play I'll see it on stage.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Just saw Hell or High Water on Amazon streaming. It was quite enjoyable, but I'm not exactly sure what propelled it to the Oscar list. Maybe they just felt they needed a western? It kept reminding me of No Country for Old Men, but not quite as idiosyncratic, although still Coen-esque. I do like Jeff Bridges, though. I'd give it ***1/2.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:14 PM

I fixed your post and took out what you asked, Skammer (what you thought was a spoiler)
Old 02-10-2017, 11:24 AM

Only one on the Oscar list I've seen is Arrival.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:51 PM

Today I saw La La Land, which is the best movie I've seen of the ones that came out last year. (I've also seen Arrival and Hidden Figures, which I've previously said I thought were excellent.)
Old 02-11-2017, 03:52 PM

Look like I have a new favorite: Fences

Funny thing is, I was getting uneasy during the first 15 minutes. It wasn't grabbing me at all. And then it did. As I sit now reflecting on it I feel that every aspect of Fences is very close to perfect.

Seen:

La La Land ***
Manchester by the Sea ****
Lion ****
Moonlight ****
Hell or High Water ****
Hidden Figures **
Fences ****

Not seen:

Arrival
Hacksaw Ridge

mmm
Old 02-11-2017, 10:08 PM
Charter Jays Fan

We saw Hacksaw Ridge. I am surprised it's nominated for Best Picture. It was good but wholly unoriginal.

I found the battle scenes weirdly unrealistic. Much effort was put on gore but the manner of combat was all wrong... Guys all standing next to each other, weapons used weirdly, intermixing of realism and silly macho shit, long stretches of losing sight of the main character.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:34 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Saw "Lion."

It's a tough movie to rate; it was very, very well done in a million ways and Dev Patel was frigging amazing, but the movie's pace in the middle act is pretty bad, largely due to what I have to assign to pretty bad screenwriting. I'll add no spoilers; it just felt like we weren't getting anywhere, on any level of the story, for a stretch of time. But then at the end the film really delivers the goods.

It is a much better film than Hacksaw Ridge and much, much better than Arrival, but is it as good as Moonlight? I don't think so. Moonlight was basically flawless, and Lion isn't. So, so far:

Moonlight: 9/10
Lion: 8/10
Hacksaw Ridge: 7/10
Arrival: 6/10

Last edited by RickJay; 02-13-2017 at 09:35 AM..
Old 02-13-2017, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

I've seen all nine.

Top Tier (I'd have a hard time choosing among these for my vote):
Arrival
Moonlight
Hell or High Water - This one took me by surprise.

Next Tier (Loved them, but not quite as much as the top three):
Lion
Fences
Hidden Figures

Bottom Tier (Didn't like them)
Hacksaw Ridge - Interesting story, acted and directed with all the subtlety of a chainsaw
Manchester by the Sea - In which Casey Affleck shows his range by playing a schlub from New England
La La Land - Didn't care about the plot or the characters, the songs weren't very memorable, and Gosling and Stone are charming as hell but don't have the pipes to carry a musical
Old 02-13-2017, 02:39 PM

I thought Arrival was the best film of 2016.......Untill I saw Manchester by the sea.... It hit me in an emotional way which is hard to grasp...... Casey Affleck deserves an Oscar for his role.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:40 PM

We saw four of them today. I prefer Metacritic scores to stars, so:

Manchester by the Sea: 84. Some uneven tone, but completely compelling.
Fences: 62. I understand the decision to have the actors emote as though on stage, but it didn't work for me. But Viola Davis was spectacular.
Hell or High Water: 80. I don't get the nomination, but quite good within genre.
La La Land: also 80. Good spectacle.

Subject to change as my thoughts continue.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Just saw Lion.

I have two adopted children, both from Korea and neither have huge stories like the movie. My wife and I absolutely loved Lion, though. It portrayed adoption well and was a great story.

I have only seen Arrival and Lion so far, but I am cheering for Lion. I know La La Land is winning, but I am still cheering for Lion.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:02 PM

Only seen Arrival (yawn) and LaLaLand (surprised this musical-hater)
Old 02-19-2017, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

The local Cinemark theater is showing all of the Best Picture nominees over the next week. For $35, you can see all eight movies or you can buy tickets for individual movies. So if you haven't seen some of them yet, you can.

Or, some are already available on DVD and probably streaming services. (The Netflix DVD-by-mail service already has Hell or High Water and Arrival and will have Hacksaw Ridge this week.)

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 02-19-2017 at 05:15 PM..
Old 02-19-2017, 07:24 PM

Finally got all nine Best Pictures seen.

Oscar cliché tracker:
Relationships go sour 8/9
Single moms 5/9
Guns 4/9
Adoptive parents 3/9
End montage of real people who inspired the story 3/9
Dead children for pathos 2/9
Car chases 1/9
Explosions 1/9 (+ a really big fire)
British accents for gravitas 0/9 (Australian and "Boston" hold the fort this year, but Brits will be back, guaranteed!)

Notable performances not nominated:
Ralph Fiennes
Teresa Palmer
Sonia Braga
Makis Papadimitriou

Final analysis:
DrDeth tried to warn us, we should probably apologize. I don't go into model shipbuilding forums to say model shipbuilding sucks, but conversely, I'm not bombarded with billions of dollars of model shipbuilding ads or shills posing as critics telling me why a certain narrow category of model ships are the "must-build" ones. There's a certain distinction to be made with simple threadcrapping.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:26 PM

Arrival was a disappointment. I wanted more of why the aliens came, how they, um, arrived, what their world is like. Instead I got a little family drama that left me unfulfilled. Renner's character contributed next to nothing, near as I could tell, to the story (aside from being Daddy). Forrest Whitaker's colonel was a cartoon character with puddle-deep development. The movie began to feel like WarGames (nothing against WarGames) as Big Military started strong-arming Louise and Ian.

But I did love the heptapods. And their language. And their intentions.

Three stars.

Seen:

La La Land ***
Manchester by the Sea ****
Lion ****
Moonlight ****
Hell or High Water ****
Hidden Figures **
Fences ****
Arrival ***

Not seen:

Hacksaw Ridge

mmm
Old 02-20-2017, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Saw Hacksaw Ridge.

It was good. Not amazing, not even super great. Just a really good movie.

Loved the real-life clip of the sergeant at the end saying, "Yes, I'm aware of the irony that I didn't want Doss by my side and he saved my life." That tear running down his cheek told the story.

Lion was the better movie to me.

I've now seen:

Arrival
Hacksaw Ridge
Lion

Lion was the best of the three. However, my wife and I did something else. We tried La La Land....but turned it off. We must be insane, absolutely insane. We thought it was terrible. We watched 40 minutes of it. And we almost never quit movies.

I may watch La La Land alone some time, perhaps just to figure out what is wrong with us. We like musicals, too. We just thought it was horrible. We aren't even contradictory people.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:45 AM

And now I have seen all 9 nominees.

Hacksaw Ridge was another letdown. Gibson's heavy-handed direction cost him some of my stars (I'm sure he's crushed). I feel he directed this movie with a dog-eared copy of The War Movie Cliche Handbook in his back pocket. Andrew Garfield was adequate - I think he kept channeling Jeremy Davies' character in Saving Private Ryan - but not Oscar-worthy. The battle scenes I found fairly gripping, though still cliche-ridden. 2 1/2 stars.

My final rankings:

Lion
Fences
Manchester by the Sea
Hell or High Water
Moonlight
Arrival
La La Land
Hidden Figures
Hacksaw Ridge
Old 02-22-2017, 08:37 PM

Thanks to Honest Trailers for giving a rundown of this year's Best Picture nominees:

Squid Words
(If you say you've seen this, you're probably) Lyin'
Hell It's a High Honor
(just to be nominated)
Diary of a Black Math Woman
Manchesta by the Feckin' Sea
All of the Oscar Things
Actors
War and Pieces
Hollywood Hand Job
Old 02-27-2017, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

I just saw Moonlight.

Very well made, a good movie. Nothing amazing, though. I actually though the opening 40 minutes with the young protagonist was the most powerful. As a teacher with a lot of students who grow up like the main character, I thought it was powerful. His high school years and beyond were less interesting.

I'd now rank my "have seen" movies as:

1. Lion
2. Arrival
3. Hacksaw Ridge
4. Moonlight

Again, we quit on La La Land, so I owe it a full viewing.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:38 PM

I saw Hacksaw Ridge Friday night (just getting under the Oscar wire) on Amazon. I was blown away. It moved to the top of my list, just edging out La La Land.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I just saw Moonlight.

Very well made, a good movie. Nothing amazing, though. I actually though the opening 40 minutes with the young protagonist was the most powerful. As a teacher with a lot of students who grow up like the main character, I thought it was powerful. His high school years and beyond were less interesting.

I'd now rank my "have seen" movies as:

1. Lion
2. Arrival
3. Hacksaw Ridge
4. Moonlight

Again, we quit on La La Land, so I owe it a full viewing.
Are you sure it wasn't Moonlight you quit on?

mmm
Old 03-15-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserschmidt View Post
We saw four of them today. I prefer Metacritic scores to stars, so:

Manchester by the Sea: 84. Some uneven tone, but completely compelling.
Fences: 62. I understand the decision to have the actors emote as though on stage, but it didn't work for me. But Viola Davis was spectacular.
Hell or High Water: 80. I don't get the nomination, but quite good within genre.
La La Land: also 80. Good spectacle.

Subject to change as my thoughts continue.
We saw the other five the next weekend:
Arrival: 84. Really enjoyed this. We talked quite a bit about it later.
Hacksaw Ridge: 56. Great action, terrific story, more cliches than I coyld have imagined being squeezed into one movie.
Moonlight: 78. I loved it while watching it, but it did not stick with me at all.
Hidden Figures: 74. Kinda pro forma, but not bad.
Lion: 62. Just so histrionic and cliched. Some great acting, though.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Are you sure it wasn't Moonlight you quit on?
Yes. I still think only the first segment when the protagonist was a kid was a great movie. The other two segments were only OK.