The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-12-2017, 03:36 PM

Girl scout cookie season... ABC vs Brownie Bakery

It's that time of year. Girl scout cookies are being sold around this area. We have Little Brownie Bakery. They have another "bakery" that makes them and the flavor is different, ABC bakery. Depending what part of the states you're in, you'll have one or the other.

Little Brownie Bakery:
Thin Mints
Samoas
Tagalongs
Do-si-dos
Trefoils
Savannah Smiles
S'mores (new to me) - https://www.littlebrowniebakers.com/...0x259_q100.jpg
Toffee-tastic (also new to me)

ABC bakery:
Thanks-A-Lot
S'mores (different than ours)
https://www.abcsmartcookies.com/stuf...ith_banner.jpg
Lemonades
Shortbread
Thin Mints
Peanut Butter Patties
Caramel deLites (same as samoas)
Peanut Butter Sandwich (same as Do-si-dos)
Trios

What do you have? I've had both and I prefer the Little Brownie version of thin mints and samoas. The thin mints are crispier, the cookie inside the samoa is crispier as well. Haven't had much else.
Advertisements  
Old 02-12-2017, 04:53 PM
"Superstar"

Mod Hat On

Let's go knock on Cafe Society's door and see if they want any.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:53 PM

I haven't actually noted the difference in Supplier Bakeries, but I'll check tomorrow.

I will be purchasing some S'Mores cookies in front of the grocery store where I work. I like the new flavors.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

We have the Little Brownie ones. Just scored a couple of boxes of Savannah Smiles. Are Lemonades the same thing?
Old 02-12-2017, 06:08 PM

Since Thanks-A-Lot's are my favorite I guess I'm with ABC.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Hmm, I didn't know that there were only two. I just know that if I buy from girl scouts on my side side of town they awful, if I buy them from the other side of town (where my parents and some cousins live) they're fine. The funny thing is no one knows what I'm talking about, in fact, I didn't know this was a thing until a few years ago when I got some Thin Mints in a clear wrapper (instead of foil) and they were terrible. Now I just ask if they come in clear or foil.

About these S'mores? Never seen them before, but the ones in the first link look much better.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffy the Elephant Shrew View Post
We have the Little Brownie ones. Just scored a couple of boxes of Savannah Smiles. Are Lemonades the same thing?
Lemonades seem to be more of a lemon flavored shortbread with a filling instead of a... butter cookie? I'm not sure what you'd call that. Savannah smiles seem to be like italian wedding cookies but powdered
Old 02-12-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
Hmm, I didn't know that there were only two. I just know that if I buy from girl scouts on my side side of town they awful, if I buy them from the other side of town (where my parents and some cousins live) they're fine. The funny thing is no one knows what I'm talking about, in fact, I didn't know this was a thing until a few years ago when I got some Thin Mints in a clear wrapper (instead of foil) and they were terrible. Now I just ask if they come in clear or foil.

About these S'mores? Never seen them before, but the ones in the first link look much better.
Haha makes sense... yep, definitely different packaging.
I gotta try out the s'mores. And really all the other cookies. Got hooked on thin mints and samoas as a kid and didn't broaden my horizons much
Old 02-12-2017, 09:06 PM

Where I live we have Little Brownie Bakery. But luckily, since I prefer Lemonades and Thanks-a-lots, I live very close to a state line and that state's girl scouts sell ABC.

I've got to start looking for selling dates around here.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:13 AM

Judging by the links, I purchased ABC s'mores. They sounded so promising. They were pretty terrible. There should have been marshmallow in the style of pinwheel cookies instead of a marshmallow flavored coating.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad News Baboon View Post
Judging by the links, I purchased ABC s'mores. They sounded so promising. They were pretty terrible. There should have been marshmallow in the style of pinwheel cookies instead of a marshmallow flavored coating.
Our LBB s'mores have the marshmallow inside
Old 02-13-2017, 10:40 AM

Girl Scout parent here. Our council sells ABC cookies. No evidence of Little Brownie Bakery cookies anywhere in the vicinity, so I can't compare. I have not tried the new S'mores cookies (ABC has the chocolate-covered version) but my daughter claims they are delicious. Certainly a vast improvement over the tasteless Cranberry-Orange cookies they replaced.

Lemonades are basically shortbread with one side dipped in a lemony coating. I like them a lot.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:43 AM
"Superstar"

Just got my ordered cookies today! Definitely LBB.

The new Smore's sandwich cookies are good, but on the sweet side.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
Just got my ordered cookies today! Definitely LBB.

The new Smore's sandwich cookies are good, but on the sweet side.
That's the main thing I didn't like about the chocolate covered ones - cloyingly sweet.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Rumour has it that too much of this Girl Scout Cookie and you won't care if ABC or LBB bake your cookies.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:28 AM

Around here is LBB and this year's batch of shortbread (trefoils) taste as yummy as always. I don't think I was aware that there was more than one supplier. That being said, does anyone else remember the year(s) when the cookies came from a company called Pogens? This would have been late 70s and I've no idea if it was just CA or maybe the west coast or what. I remember they came in tubs rather than boxes and they were so freakin' delicious. Don't recall what if any price difference there was or why the GSA switched to that company (and more important, why they switched back ) but damn, I could eat a tub of Pogens chocolate chip right about now.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:39 AM
"Superstar"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad News Baboon View Post
That's the main thing I didn't like about the chocolate covered ones - cloyingly sweet.
I like the Tagalongs (chocolate covered peanut butter) because they aren't too sweet for me. Otherwise, I'm a Trefoil girl. Samoas and even thin mints get too sweet.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
Around here is LBB and this year's batch of shortbread (trefoils) taste as yummy as always. I don't think I was aware that there was more than one supplier. That being said, does anyone else remember the year(s) when the cookies came from a company called Pogens? This would have been late 70s and I've no idea if it was just CA or maybe the west coast or what. I remember they came in tubs rather than boxes and they were so freakin' delicious. Don't recall what if any price difference there was or why the GSA switched to that company (and more important, why they switched back ) but damn, I could eat a tub of Pogens chocolate chip right about now.

I just googled Pogens cookies and only got gingerbread results, similar to moravian cookies
Old 02-18-2017, 02:20 PM

Here is a map showing which regions offer cookies from which bakery.

Odd that it is so dispersed.

mmm

ETA: I see that many of the comments say the map is incorrect for them (although it is correct for me)

ETA: More info, including comparisons of each cookie

Last edited by Mean Mr. Mustard; 02-18-2017 at 02:23 PM..