Old 01-03-2017, 12:54 PM

Nice purchase BuddaDog. I'm sure you'll be enjoying your Taylor guitar for a long time.

What's the main difference between the THR5a and the THR10? Just reading the description it seems the 5a is designed more for Acoustics with pickups?

Is that the biggest difference?

I need a portable Amp and may get one of these. I have pickups in two of my acoustics. I also have a hollow body Gibson ES-390 that might sound better on an amp designed for Acoustic guitars.

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-03-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:03 PM

I found a great review of the THR5a. Im very impressed with the mic simulations and the blending control. You can blend the under saddle pickup with the mic. Very, very cool.

I know what my tax return will be buying. LOL

https://youtu.be/i56OQ8-fXG8

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-03-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I found a great review of the THR5a. Im very impressed with the mic simulations and the blending control. You can blend the under saddle pickup with the mic. Very, very cool.

I know what my tax return will be buying. LOL

https://youtu.be/i56OQ8-fXG8
From what you just said I'm not certain you know that eh 5A takes the line output from your acoustic and uses it's modeling to create a mic simulation. The blending is between your original signal and the modeled mic. It's great for giving a guitar tone some added body.

It makes my OX sound like a well aged guitar and he 814 sound like angels are involved.
I highly recommend it for your practice room and your electric-acoustic. You could plug in an electric to the 5a but the 10 is better. Basically the 10 is electric rich with some acoustic modelling and the 5a is acoustic rich with some electric.

Last edited by BubbaDog; 01-03-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:31 AM

Crap. Now I want one. Anyone wanna trade for Yorkville AM-50?

Last edited by swampspruce; 01-05-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:57 AM

I'd been looking for a good acoustic guitar amp for awhile. I primarily play acoustic and wanted to enrich that tone. My local guitar shop installs a really nice under the saddle piezo pickup for under a $100. I've had it installed in two of my acoustics. My Larrivee D-09 came with a LR Baggs pickup.

I've been using my Fender Blues jr. for my electric guitar and these acoustics.

I'm looking forward to hearing the difference playing through a amp designed for acoustics.

The 5a will be perfect for practice and for the church specials that I occasionally perform. I have been playing without an amplifier in church. That works OK playing during services. But I need a bit more volume playing specials.

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-05-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:49 PM

So I bought myself a new recording interface for Xmas. My old one was an original MBox by Digidesign. Great little interface but it was running on an XP machine and I was getting really paranoid that the computer would up and die on me.

So I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. It has 8 mic/line inputs (yay, I can do a full drum set) and came with Pro Tools first.

I upgraded to the full version of Pro Tools, which I am a little unhappy about. You can buy Pro Tools for ~$600 or sign up for a monthly plan for 25 bucks a month. I hate the idea of a monthly charge but with the subscription you get a ton of plugins and any upgrades that come along. If you buy it, you get 1 year of updates. I have had one major update already.

The software seems a bit buggy, there is one problem that is annoying as hell in that if you minimize the Pro Tools app, you have to go to task manager, highlight the app and click switch to to bring it back. However the recording seems to be cool so far. The included plugins are pretty nice but I lost a lot of my plugins with the upgrade. The main one I am bummed about is Sample Tank. I am going to have to shell out some cash for it. It is a great product.

I bought myself Steven Slate Drums. These are bad ass. I got the EX and will probably end up buying some more.

Sim amps suck. Bad. With 15 month old twins, making a lot of noise isn't really an option. I tried the Eleven plugin included with Pro Tools. It sounds like shit. I tried AmpLion, it sounds like shit. I tried a limited version of Amplitube and it sounds a little better than shit, but not much. I got another amp sim last night, I haven't had a chance to play with it yet and hold out the hope that it won't sound like shit. (Note, this is for high gain stuff, the cleans aren't too bad).

On the bright side, the mic'ed tones from my amp are awesome. I haven't play with mic'ing on the acoustic yet but so far the interface is awesome.

I am working on a cover presently. When I get it done I'll post a link.

Now I just need the time to actually record something.

Slee
Old 01-06-2017, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'd been looking for a good acoustic guitar amp for awhile. I primarily play acoustic and wanted to enrich that tone. My local guitar shop installs a really nice under the saddle piezo pickup for under a $100. I've had it installed in two of my acoustics. My Larrivee D-09 came with a LR Baggs pickup.

I've been using my Fender Blues jr. for my electric guitar and these acoustics.

I'm looking forward to hearing the difference playing through a amp designed for acoustics.

The 5a will be perfect for practice and for the church specials that I occasionally perform. I have been playing without an amplifier in church. That works OK playing during services. But I need a bit more volume playing specials.
If all that you need is a "bit more" it may do you just fine. I took mine to an open mike night and, since I was running it on batteries for convenience, I set the sound level out of the 5a at about guitar sound hole volume and positioned the venue's guitar mike on the 5a speakers. That gave me the tone shape I wanted.
Unfortunately, the 5a has neither a low level nor a high level output jack. You could probably rig something off of it's headphone jack and create a cheat for a "line out". I hadn't done that.
In any case, it will amplify significantly louder than your guitar's sound hole.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

sleestak
I have a smaller feature Focusrite as an interface.
I had some problems with it and Reaper. I usually had to mess with it for a while to get it to properly interface. It may have been a bug in the focusrite software, my crappy computer, or Reaper but most likely it was my inability through impatience to set it up properly.
Once I got it working I discovered that the latency somewhere in the chain made adding additional tracks, punching etc impossible.

Apparently my learning curve was a little too steep as I abandoned the whole mess and bought a Zoom 4hn. Not as versatile as your set by far but since I lack your patience it saved my sanity.

I'm looking forward to your recording. It might just inspire me to try to fix my computer recording issues.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaDog View Post
sleestak
I have a smaller feature Focusrite as an interface.
I had some problems with it and Reaper. I usually had to mess with it for a while to get it to properly interface. It may have been a bug in the focusrite software, my crappy computer, or Reaper but most likely it was my inability through impatience to set it up properly.
Once I got it working I discovered that the latency somewhere in the chain made adding additional tracks, punching etc impossible.

Apparently my learning curve was a little too steep as I abandoned the whole mess and bought a Zoom 4hn. Not as versatile as your set by far but since I lack your patience it saved my sanity.

I'm looking forward to your recording. It might just inspire me to try to fix my computer recording issues.
The setup wasn't terribly hard. There are basically three pieces. One, the interface registers as an audio device in Windows (assuming you are running Windows, I don't know about Macs as I haven't kept up with them). Once it is in there, Reaper will have some sort of setting to choose the interface. There is also a little Focusrite piece that allows you to select the sample rate. I haven't used Reaper so I don't know much about it.

The latency will depend on your processor and ram for the most part. I have an I7 laptop with 8 gigs of ram if I remember correctly and it runs fine so far though I haven't added a lot of tracks yet. I do know that the latency is pretty damned low on my setup as I can play using an amp plugin and, while there is a bit of delay, it is low enough that I can play on time without the delay screwing me up. On my old setup that wasn't possible, the delay would jack up my timing.

I played with the other amp sim I got. It is Positive Grid Bias FX. I played around with it a bit, it is the free version I got through Focusrite and so far it seems pretty good. What I am quite excited about is an amp matching software package they have. Supposedly it allows you to take a patch, compare it an audio sample of your amp then it tweaks the output of the patch to match. (warning, videos) Linky. Linky 2.

Slee
Old 01-06-2017, 01:52 PM

Anyone here looked at Ohm Studio? A friend showed me this DAW. Looks interesting but also a very time consuming project.

I might consider a private project someday. But I can't imagine ever getting invited to work on someone else's. My last name isn't Clapton or McCartney. LOL

Quote:
 A stand-alone desktop app for Windows and Mac

Being cross-platform and VST-compatible, Ohm Studio allows most people involved in music production to make music together. Many services labelled as collaborative music applications run within a web browser and at best offer the ability to sequence loops or record audio. Unlike its competitors, Ohm Studio is definitely closer to industry-standard applications used for composition, recording and production, while being coded from the ground up as a real-time collaborative application.
Work as usual, alone or with partners

Even if you are a newcomer in the world of music production, you will quickly feel at home in Ohm Studio. Log in to the Ohm Studio server, talk with people online, create a new project or join an existing one upon invitation. 

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-06-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
If all that you need is a "bit more" it may do you just fine. I took mine to an open mike night and, since I was running it on batteries for convenience, I set the sound level out of the 5a at about guitar sound hole volume and positioned the venue's guitar mike on the 5a speakers. That gave me the tone shape I wanted.
Unfortunately, the 5a has neither a low level nor a high level output jack. You could probably rig something off of it's headphone jack and create a cheat for a "line out". I hadn't done that.
In any case, it will amplify significantly louder than your guitar's sound hole.
I'll try a mic with this amp. The amp's small speakers should work really well.

It came in today. I ordered the gig bag too. There's room for the cables and power supply.

I'm quite impressed that so much sound is coming from such a small box.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:55 AM
Charter Member

Wow, at our show tonight, I broke an E string on the bass. I've been playing bass for 32 years, this is the first time I've broken an E string, and I'm the kind of person who doesn't change strings till they break. This particular E string was 30 years old. I always bring a backup bass to shows, but this is the first time I've needed it, and it was good to have on hand.

Yanking the string the rest of the way off mid-song so it would stop muting the others bloodied up my hand, so it was good theatrics. ROCK AND ROLLLLLLL!

It the guitarist's bass, so after the show I told him, "You need a new bass, this one has a broken string."
Old 01-13-2017, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

The fact that you could move through it and keep the gig going, theatrically, AND had a backup bass (in my experience that is very uncommon) all explain why you can discuss it in a calm way. Impressive. Hope your hand is on the mend. String cuts hurt.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
This particular E string was 30 years old.
Ugh - I hate it when that happens. Now you have a good 12-15 years before the brightness of the new string wears off.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
The fact that you could move through it and keep the gig going, theatrically, AND had a backup bass (in my experience that is very uncommon) all explain why you can discuss it in a calm way. Impressive. Hope your hand is on the mend. String cuts hurt.
Oh yeah, I bring spares of everything besides a cabinet and a tuner. Extra amp, fuzz pedals, bass, cables, batteries, and now even power cords. If the cab dies, I'll go direct. If the tuner dies, I can tune by ear. Every spare has come in handy now.

Thanks for the thoughts on the hand. It didn't hurt when it happened. I knew about it because my hand felt wet. By the time I got my stuff off the stage, I was feeling all 4 cuts. Especially the two on the inside of my knuckles. Neosporin +pain relief is my friend this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
Ugh - I hate it when that happens. Now you have a good 12-15 years before the brightness of the new string wears off.
I kind of really do have that problem. I love that particular Precision, but it may be just because of the super dead strings. I'll know when I re-string it this evening. If I don't like them, maybe I can bury the new set in the yard for a week...or something. I'm off to Google "aging guitar strings" now.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:15 AM
Charter Member

So, the internet is filled with theories of how to deaden your strings quickly. There were two I found that were backed by heroes of mine that seemed slightly less gross than smearing bacon fat on the strings. Danny Gratton apparently would coat his with a mix of cigarette ash and beer, claiming the acid mixture would corrode them quickly and evenly. Steve Cropper reportedly recommends Chapstick.

Since it's not my bass, I opted for the Chapstick. My wife (a Chapstick addict) had a stick of wintergreen that she hated, so I saved the 75 cents or so. I was a little skeptical, because I'd never heard that lubricated strings were less bright than regular ones. In fact, I think I've heard the opposite; that they retain their brightness longer.

Mr. Cropper, you've always seemed wise, and I'm sorry for doubting you if you did indeed recommend this. In less than 10 minutes of wiping wintergreen waxiness on them, they sounded at least a few months old. I wish I had made a before/after recording. Since I can kind of change strings at will now, I just might.

Last edited by scabpicker; 01-23-2017 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'll try a mic with this amp. The amp's small speakers should work really well.

It came in today. I ordered the gig bag too. There's room for the cables and power supply.

I'm quite impressed that so much sound is coming from such a small box.
Aceplace, it's been a while I hope that you are enjoying the 5A.

Anybody here ever work live with a loop pedal? I saw a guy using one with an electric acoustic guitar and really liked the way he could use it to build a rhythm and then add lead on top of it.

I checked out some discussions on the acoustic guitar forums and it looks like the Jamman pedals are a good place to start. I have a Ditto but it's one button and small size are a bother. The thing sinks into my carpet so I practically have to stomp it to get it to work. That along with only getting flashing light feedback on what mode it's in is no fun.

It will probably take a lot of practice to get the timing right but I'm excited about some of the possibilities.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Hey, if anybody is interested in some collectible guitars, this local Portland guy is selling all of his on Craigslist. Includes some real vintage stuff. I'm not at all familiar with this market, but if you see something that looks like a killer deal, let me know and perhaps I'll check it out.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Hey, if anybody is interested in some collectible guitars, this local Portland guy is selling all of his on Craigslist. Includes some real vintage stuff. I'm not at all familiar with this market, but if you see something that looks like a killer deal, let me know and perhaps I'll check it out.
I'd have to go through in detail, but they seem priced like the guy knows what he has. You may get a good guitar, but at a reasonable price, not a steal. The 1934 Carson Robison sounds like it would be a good blues player if it's in decent shape: http://vintagelicksguitars.com/1934-...-681-flat-top/

Last edited by WordMan; 02-13-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

An article on "Toploader" Teles: for a year or so around 1959, Fender modified the design so the string balls no longer went through the body from the back, but were instead strung through holes in the bridge on the top of the guitar.

Who cares, right? Purists insist that the string-thru-body design is essential (indeed, Fender went back to it after a year or so). But, one of the most famous Teles ever - the Dragon Tele Jimmy Page used to record LZ 1 and 2 and the solo in Stairway - was a Toploader.

Article here: http://www.voodooguitar.net/2017/02/...oted-fans.html
Old 03-03-2017, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

What is the best way to clean a guitar body without damaging the finish?

I do not want to use a polish that contains any abrasive, I just want to clean off a couple of years of accumulated dirt, oil, and god-knows-what. It's a 7-string archtop I have on a trial run to decide whether to buy it. The owner is a friend-of-a-friend so he is letting me try it out. He even said I could put on whatever strings I want and change the setup. So I figured I should find out how well it cleans up.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingWithGas View Post
I do not want to use a polish that contains any abrasive, I just want to clean off a couple of years of accumulated dirt, oil, and god-knows-what. It's a 7-string archtop I have on a trial run to decide whether to buy it. The owner is a friend-of-a-friend so he is letting me try it out. He even said I could put on whatever strings I want and change the setup. So I figured I should find out how well it cleans up.
Hey good luck! An Eastman?

I hear about this stuff as the standard regularly: http://www.virtuosopolish.com
Old 03-03-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Ronsonol has always been the everyday solution to this issue. I don't know about any recent developments. I cleaned my Guild F-30 with it and it was a labor intensive job, cause of all the gunk. I think I scraped the nitrocellulose off of a patch in the effort, by using a credit card in spots.

You might tell the owner you want to do this first, or maybe even get him to do it. Please post about how it went however you go.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
Ronsonol has always been the everyday solution to this issue.
Involving a process somewhat misunderstood by Jimi Hendrix at Monterey Pop.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:14 PM

I've seen this thread pop up time to time over the years, and it's always made me a bit wistful. I played guitar, somewhat passionately, throughout my teens into my early 20s. Then I moved to L.A. to work in the entertainment industry, got busy with work and life, and played less and less. When my car died just a few years after I got out here, I sold my beautiful '62(?) Fender Strat reissue (something I regret to this day). Every once in a while, I would get the urge to play again, and eventually picked up a cheap ass Squire, but it never quite took again, and years went by without picking it up.

Sometimes life takes unexpected turns, and last year, I found myself as a full-time employee of Fender Musical Instrument Corporation, working as a video editor (I can't really discuss too much of what I'm doing, but it's talked about a little in this article). I've used my very generous employee discount to pick up a new Strat (a Mexican made one; if I'm still playing down the road a bit, I'll upgrade) and a nice little Champion amp.

Really enjoying playing again. Muscle memory is a crazy thing... even though I haven't played in years, the chords are all still right there. I can still run some scales. All sloppy of course, but the fingers remember where to go. The amount of resources that are available to guitarists now is crazy. All the tabs and tutorials online! I remember saving up my money to buy Boss effect pedals... now I can get effects that sound pretty damn good just by plugging the guitar into my phone. Amazing.

It's also very inspiring being surrounded by some amazingly talented players. You walk into the office, and most people have guitars sitting next to their desks, and just pick them up and start playing whenever. They had a company band jam a few weeks back - bands (mostly) comprised of Fender employees. Most of the rest of my team performed a few songs. Who knows, maybe by next year, I'll be ready to play with them. It's a fun company to work for.

Anyway, I'm just sort of rambling, but it's been fun picking it up again, and reading through this thread.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Wow, I know who I'm visiting when I get to SoCal (don't tell my sister)!!

Sounds like a fascinating situation at FMIC. I'd like to hear more about it when you can share. In the meantime, congrats on getting back in the saddle with guitar. Keeps me sane, it does.

Last edited by WordMan; 03-03-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey good luck! An Eastman?

I hear about this stuff as the standard regularly: http://www.virtuosopolish.com
Thanks--yes, an Eastman AR805-CE7, now replaced by the 810. Violin-type finish. Nice guitar but I am not sure I want to dive into that pool. I would not just use it to extend soloing range; the point would be to expand possibilities for chord voicings and chord-melody arrangements. I just don't know if I have the time for that on top of everything else I'm trying to do.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Good luck with it; I've heard good things.

And hey, I don't get guitar geek points for knowing it was an Eastman from your description?
Old 03-04-2017, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And hey, I don't get guitar geek points for knowing it was an Eastman from your description?
You get mind-reading points!! All I said is that it's a seven-string archtop!
Old 03-04-2017, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You get mind-reading points!! All I said is that it's a seven-string archtop!
There ya go. I feel better!
Old 03-05-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Aceplace, it's been a while I hope that you are enjoying the 5A.

Anybody here ever work live with a loop pedal? I saw a guy using one with an electric acoustic guitar and really liked the way he could use it to build a rhythm and then add lead on top of it.

I checked out some discussions on the acoustic guitar forums and it looks like the Jamman pedals are a good place to start. I have a Ditto but it's one button and small size are a bother. The thing sinks into my carpet so I practically have to stomp it to get it to work. That along with only getting flashing light feedback on what mode it's in is no fun.

It will probably take a lot of practice to get the timing right but I'm excited about some of the possibilities.
I'm really enjoying the 5A. Already taken it outside several times to play on my deck. I'll be doing most weekends until it gets too hot.

I have a looper pedal. Still haven't gotten the hang of using it effectively.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-05-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:06 PM

Tim Reynolds and Ed Sheeran both make pretty effective use of delays and loopers. Might be a good place to get some inspiration.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm really enjoying the 5A. Already taken it outside several times to play on my deck. I'll be doing most weekends until it gets too hot.

I have a looper pedal. Still haven't gotten the hang of using it effectively.
I picked up a JamMan stereo looper and have been messing with it. It took a little time to experiment with the timing of the record-start and then the record-stop to get the repeat timing where I wanted it but once I got the initial loop in it worked pretty good.

It's still quarantined to my practice room. It might be a while before I'm brave enough to use it in front of an audience.

I actually recorded a full song with vocals (That's the advantage of the second track) and then looped back to provide backup vocals on the refrain.

Last edited by BubbaDog; 03-06-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I kind of really do have that problem. I love that particular Precision, but it may be just because of the super dead strings. I'll know when I re-string it this evening. If I don't like them, maybe I can bury the new set in the yard for a week...or something. I'm off to Google "aging guitar strings" now.
Try pure nickel strings. (Basically all the major string companies make some.) They're more "broken-in" sounding and feeling right out of the pack, and stay more consistent across the life of the strings. I personally don't prefer them, but they're exactly what you're looking for.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:00 PM

My wife surprised me with a early b-day gift.

I've been eying the Thalia Capo's. Operates easily with one hand. They are so expensive that I've been hesitant to buy one.

My wonderful wife picked out this one and had my name engraved.
https://www.thaliacapos.com/collecti...ye-maple-inlay

It comes with a pad kit for various keyboard radius. Rubber and Teflon for easier sliding.

I'm using it on my Larrivee D09 now. I'll change the pads to also use on my Gibson ES-390

This capo slides quickly enough that I should be able to change keys live. Especially at church. The piano can give me a 4 beat break while I slide it. We usually only modulate up a half or whole step at a time. Gives a nice lift to the worship songs.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-13-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Yowza. Fancy. Enjoy!
Old 03-13-2017, 02:59 PM

It's a bit extravagant but I'll enjoy it for many years. Now I have to figure out a b-day gift for my wife. It'll be hard to match this.

The Thalia capo does slide easier and faster than the Kyser Capo's I've been using. That can save a lot of fumbling playing live.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-13-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCentStamp View Post
Try pure nickel strings. (Basically all the major string companies make some.) They're more "broken-in" sounding and feeling right out of the pack, and stay more consistent across the life of the strings. I personally don't prefer them, but they're exactly what you're looking for.
I will keep this in mind when I break another bass string in 30 years.

Seriously, since I know how to deaden regular roundwounds now, I'll probably try new strings more often. Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-16-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I will keep this in mind when I break another bass string in 30 years.

Seriously, since I know how to deaden regular roundwounds now, I'll probably try new strings more often. Thanks for the tip!
I tend to put guitar strings on and leave them until one breaks or I want to change the gauge. I just replaced the strings on my tele and they were 1.5 years old. I've forgotten how much I dislike new guitar strings as well. So bright! The good news is the brightness goes away fairly quickly.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:59 AM

I love the confluence of beauty and function and that capo is right on the mark! Maybe I'll have send some hints to swMBO for my b-day!

BTW, scabpicker check these out if you get a case of BAS... www.winginstruments.com
Old 03-16-2017, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
I tend to put guitar strings on and leave them until one breaks or I want to change the gauge. I just replaced the strings on my tele and they were 1.5 years old. I've forgotten how much I dislike new guitar strings as well. So bright! The good news is the brightness goes away fairly quickly.
I've found recently that ChapStick will deaden a set of roundwounds in minutes. Try it! It does scent/flavor your strings for a little bit. I'd avoid the cherry for that reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
I love the confluence of beauty and function and that capo is right on the mark! Maybe I'll have send some hints to swMBO for my b-day!

BTW, scabpicker check these out if you get a case of BAS... www.winginstruments.com
Weird, a company making only piccolo basses. I have a EHX B9 pedal that would go great with one of those. I don't know if I'd pay twice what I paid for my performance instrument for a travel instrument, but those are interesting.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Teuffel Birdfish guitar, a handmade exotic for sale on Reverb. For a mere $18,300.

https://reverb.com/item/4228321-teuf...-birdfish-2017

I've never played one.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:24 AM

Tell ya what, I win the lottery and I'll buy two; one for me and one for you! Also, one of these from my favorite luthier. Rick Toone is a frickin genius!

Last edited by swampspruce; 03-28-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
Tell ya what, I win the lottery and I'll buy two; one for me and one for you! Also, one of these from my favorite luthier. Rick Toone is a frickin genius!
Ah, I forgot you were into the avant garde stuff swampy. Have you played a Teuffel? What do like so much about Toone's stuff? I mean, besides the beauty of the craftsmanship, the cool designs, etc?

When you're a Tele guy like me It's hard to know which end to play on those modernist guitars

Last edited by WordMan; 03-28-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Teuffel Birdfish guitar, a handmade exotic for sale on Reverb. For a mere $18,300.

https://reverb.com/item/4228321-teuf...-birdfish-2017

I've never played one.
No. Just.. no. Guitars for me should be about simplicity. No.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Ah, I forgot you were into the avant garde stuff swampy. Have you played a Teuffel? What do like so much about Toone's stuff? I mean, besides the beauty of the craftsmanship, the cool designs, etc?

When you're a Tele guy like me It's hard to know which end to play on those modernist guitars
Warning, verbosity ahead!

Oh I'm a Tele guy, too. That pic you posted is the first Teuffel I've ever seen and even though it doesn't look like a guitar at first glance it really is as simple as a Tele is. I like elegant and simple engineering and the Tueffel is the electric guitar pared down to it's most basic form and hand built like a Rolls Royce.

When I worked on the F-18 the thing that impressed me the most wasn't the speed, bomb capacity, the gun or it's maneuverability (although those things are cool), it was the boarding ladder. It folded up like metal origami, weighed maybe 10 lbs but could support 300, and did it's job seamlessly and almost invisibly.

With Toone, I see a lot of the same thing. He pares down what a guitar should be and isn't afraid to play with a concept while still respecting the past. Guitarists tend to be Luddites and inherently suspicious of new technology, and often for good reason (Gibson's robo guitar is one example). The T2 link I put up shows the unmistakable lines of a Tele, plays like a Tele, but brought into this century. It also has a built in guitar hangar and bottle opener which is a mark of genius if I ever saw one. Most of his work is evolution rather than revolution and what I'm aspiring to as I continue to learn how to build.

Rick Toone:

"Leo and I would enjoy a wonderful conversation, were he alive, as kindred spirits exploring what's possible. Whenever I round a blind corner, chasing a curve, or figuring out an easier way to do things...I see his footprint, or sometimes glimpse his smile. I don't foresee any ego conflicts between us.

There's too much still to learn.

Chasing guitar design for a lifetime won't be long enough. It will take a much smarter (or perhaps arrogant) person, someone other than me, who could ever claim total mastery of lutherie."

That sums up everything I want to do with a guitar, and make you want to spend your whole day playing one of mine or continuing to love the instrument I might have repaired.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Oh, I get that the Teuffel is still played like a guitar, unlike, say a Chapman Stick, or even like a Gittler, which would be like playing an extremely scalloped fretboard.

http://gittlerinstruments.com/gittler-guitar

But as you say, guitarists are innovation-averse, at best, for the most part and I am one of those guys. I want the most basic tool there is. For Toone, I dig the built-in hanger* and bottle opener, but he really appears to be a master craftsman with an eye towards innovation. Hand carved this; hand-casted metal that, all in service to an innovative playing experience. Leo Fender was a master at designing for manufacturability - less guilt involved (to me!!) at playing a basic functional guitar vs a truly crafted guitar.

Toone's work looks very intelligently designed and built and would love to try some as part of collecting playing experiences on diff guitars.

*old acoustics with solid headstocks are often found with holes drilled in them so the guitar can be hung up on a nail.

Last edited by WordMan; 03-29-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:04 PM

What's your thoughts on using tremolo? Especially with a classic mid 1960's blackface Fender amp?

I can't afford $2000 for a vintage Blackface Fender amp. But this pedal comes close to the original sound.

I'm looking at this one. The demo video of it totally blew me away. The pedal uses a real transformer just like the vintage amps. It's not just a fake digital effect.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SuproTrem

List of tremolo songs.
http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle...f-Tremolo.aspx

Might be fun playing these.

Next... maybe a chorus pedal for some surfer tunes.

Last edited by aceplace57; 04-01-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

I bought a decent tremolo pedal, taught myself How Soon is Now and a couple of other songs, the put it away. I take it out every now and then and re-teach myself the same songs .

You have to know how you feel about effects, and whether that particular effect appeals to you. As I've stated here a few times, I'm not an effects guy; I keep them for specific songs for gigs.

Tremolo is one of those effects that's niche until it's not. With some songs like How Soon is Now and Boulevard of Broken Dreams, it's the only thing you here. Same with genres like Surf where it's a featured effect along with reverb, which showcases tremolo so well. Most of the time, the effect is a thin layer, adding a bit of warble to the tone.

You have to want to play slowly and let the tremolo effect shape the sustaining notes, like watching cigarette smoke drift away.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:28 AM

I know tremolo can be overused. Crimson and Clover sounds so dated and gimmicky now. I find it hard to listen too.

Born on the Bayou is a great song with tremolo. Definitely want to play it someday.

I got mixed up on surf. You're right. It uses a mix of reverb and tremolo.

Chorus was big in the 80's. Nearly every band had a Boss CE-1 chorus pedal.

Last edited by aceplace57; 04-02-2017 at 07:32 AM.