Old 12-14-2016, 07:51 AM

Was that Quark?
Advertisements  
Old 12-14-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Was that Quark?
Yep - Quark or Principal Snyder.

His philosophy reminded me of the villains in Michael Flynn's "Country of the Blind"
Old 12-14-2016, 11:39 PM

So what happens if they change the timeline so much that time travel itself was never invented?

Last edited by alphaboi867; 12-14-2016 at 11:39 PM..
Old 12-15-2016, 12:07 AM

The guy at the head of the conspiracy was QUARK? Reminds me of a trilogy I once read where the main villain turned out to be a guy who seemed to be based on Steve (remember him) Forbes.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:37 AM
Charter Member

I will admit, I had no idea that there was a historical figure named Rittenhouse being referred to. I just assumed the writers of the show had picked something that sounded kind of interesting when they were naming the conspiracy group. I am learning while I am also being entertained!
Old 12-15-2016, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooooopy View Post
I am learning while I am also being entertained!
I hate it when they trick us like that!
Old 12-15-2016, 11:00 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
The guy at the head of the conspiracy was QUARK? Reminds me of a trilogy I once read where the main villain turned out to be a guy who seemed to be based on Steve (remember him) Forbes.
It was Quark. Now it's his son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooooopy View Post
I will admit, I had no idea that there was a historical figure named Rittenhouse being referred to. I just assumed the writers of the show had picked something that sounded kind of interesting when they were naming the conspiracy group. I am learning while I am also being entertained!
Somehow my knowledge of the time period never included David Rittenhouse. I thought it was going to have something to do with Rittenhouse Square in Philadelphia which I now realize is named after David Rittenhouse.

Here is an article with some mild spoilers from the creators about the second half of the season. It talks about the general direction of the show but not too many specifics.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:05 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

It's funny how they chose to be very accurate with somethings and then totally make up others. David Rittenhouse did not have a son. Or one that lived past childbirth anyway.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
It was Quark. Now it's his son.
It really bugged me when they were arguing over whether or not to kill the Rittenhouse kid. Guys, you can remove him from the equation without killing him- just take him back to the future with you.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
It's funny how they chose to be very accurate with somethings and then totally make up others. David Rittenhouse did not have a son. Or one that lived past childbirth anyway.
In this timeline, you mean...
Old 12-15-2016, 01:19 PM

I really liked how Quark/Rittenshouse was portrayed. His leering and grabbing Lucy and suggestive questioning made everyone too shocked to see his real intentions, which was to confirm his suspicions and spring a trap.

Guy was a lecherous bastard, but he was a smart and cunning lecherous bastard.

Last edited by AK84; 12-15-2016 at 01:20 PM..
Old 12-16-2016, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
I see they're doing a Lincoln episode next. Has anybody ever done a story where a time traveler trying to prevent the assassination of Lincoln bumps into a bunch of other time travelers trying to do exactly the same thing?
I don't believe that would be the case. The first time travel mission to succeed in preventing Lincoln from being killed at Ford's Theater would change the timeline and negate the need for subsequent travelers to do the same. The reality of any time traveler traveling even a moment after the successful mission would include no historical record of Lincoln being killed. To them, Lincoln was saved, therefore no reason to go back to that place and time (...unless they want to prevent the save and have Booth succeed).
Old 01-02-2017, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Man did they play fast and loose with computer history in the Space Race episode. They're using paper and metal tape (good)...but then Rufus finds a CRT with a keyboard, and types code that you can see on the monitor, which at one point even listed the a: drive. None of that hardware/ software was even close to being period accurate. This is more like 1962 state of the art.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:37 PM

I think the show is really well done - fascinating that ever time they return to the present, there's some slight tweek in their reality - people with end stage cancer are well, siblings disappear, historical characters have a different story. Hope they can keep this going - the cliff hanger was the possibility the thing they're trying to keep from happening may have been caused by their time travel (but they haven't said that...yet)
Old 01-02-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
Man did they play fast and loose with computer history in the Space Race episode. They're using paper and metal tape (good)...but then Rufus finds a CRT with a keyboard, and types code that you can see on the monitor, which at one point even listed the a: drive. None of that hardware/ software was even close to being period accurate. This is more like 1962 state of the art.

Seeing it on the monitor may have been a stretch, but FORTRAN was introduced in 1957 and COBOL in 1959, so the software in 1961 COULD be "close". Good call all the same - considerably harder to have spotted than that tire track in the sand as Ben Hur staggered past....
Old 01-02-2017, 04:57 PM

Nice to see someone else considered just hauling Rittenhouse Jr Back "To The Future", but Stephen King (who else) did a great job pointing out why we don't even want to think about messing with History - check out 11.22.63 on NETFLICKS for enjoyable details.

On this subject, what if you managed to get back to Braunau am Inn in 1889, successfully strangled Hitler in his crib, and come back to 2017 only to find Europe and Asia a unified Soviet State?
Old 01-02-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:

Seeing it on the monitor may have been a stretch, but FORTRAN was introduced in 1957 and COBOL in 1959, so the software in 1961 COULD be "close". Good call all the same - considerably harder to have spotted than that tire track in the sand as Ben Hur staggered past....
Old 01-02-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind that the Space Race episode takes place in 1969, not 1962. Still, you're right that it wasn't historical accuracy; I doubt that there would be any sort of "progress bar" displayed when running software.

Also, wasn't the Apollo code pretty much entirely in assembly/machine language, especially given that it had to interact directly with the hardware? I don't know how accurate this is, but I remember a scene in From the Earth to the Moon where the MIT scientists who helped develop the lunar lander software had to talk the astronauts in one of the later missions into entering machine code directly into the lander's computer to prevent a glitch in the hardware from causing a premature abort.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khesahndra View Post
...On this subject, what if you managed to get back to Braunau am Inn in 1889, successfully strangled Hitler in his crib, and come back to 2017 only to find Europe and Asia a unified Soviet State?
I once read a short story where it turned out that Adolf Hitler's rise to power was a side effect of time travelers preventing an even worse Germanic dictator from being born.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:05 PM

I guess people have given up on this but I still enjoy it. I like that they basically decided to say "Screw history" and play fast and loose with the time line. I also like the ambiguity as to who exactly is good and bad. The show is interesting and the fun kind of dumb.

I am wondering if next week they will pull a trick like Deep Space Nine did and have Rufus actually die and then pluck another Rufus from earlier in the timeline to replace him
Old 02-15-2017, 12:47 PM

We're still watching it and enjoy it. I wish that they played a bit looser with the time line, since they decided to go that direction. I wish they had saved Lincoln, for example. I liked seeing how things had changed when they got back. They seem to have stopped having the ripple effects, which was one of the more interesting things about the show. I hope they go back to it.

I did want to smack Lucy around for not cozying up to her father (I'm an episode behind right now I think). Seriously, the man is running Rittenhouse and you can't even pretend to like him to get some intel?
Old 02-15-2017, 01:24 PM

Still watching. It's sort of at a nexus of what my wife finds entertaining and what i do, so it's a good "watch together curled up with the dogs" show.

While understanding the conventions of drama, we do find ourselves slightly annoyed by all the references to time pressure and deadlines, though. Every time someone says "we have to get there before x," or "we only have 2 hours..." or "hurry, ..." we turn to each other and say, "If only we had a time machine!"

Our suggestion was to bring Rufus forward in time to a desegregated-but-modern-medicine time -- 1970? 1980? -- that doesn't cause a time paradox for Rufus...not sure when he was born.

Hope they don't lose Rufus, he's by far the most fun character on the show.

Also, when Connor Mason was defeating Rufus' computer worm, the moment his screen comes back he announces everything is clear. If I ever need to write a worm, it's going to return a user to an apparently normal screen that appears to be correctly responding to his input, suuuuuure it is.....

Good to see Wyatt completely own the gangsters in the gunfight. I turned to my wife and said "that's why they bring him."
Old 02-15-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
I guess people have given up on this but I still enjoy it. I like that they basically decided to say "Screw history" and play fast and loose with the time line. I also like the ambiguity as to who exactly is good and bad. The show is interesting and the fun kind of dumb.
I was half-expecting them to go to Berkeley in 1979 to try to make sure Lucy's parents meet, only for - oops! - Lucy's father to have never been born, as his parents never met; instead, one of them met somebody who, in Lucy's original timeline, was killed in the original Hindenburg crash.

Speaking of 1979, I wonder if they chose that year becuase there's supposed to be a Rittenhouse "gathering" in 1979? They're supposed to happen every 25 years, and they mentioned that one takes place in 1954. Also, they never actually say that all of the Rittenhouse gatherings are in DC - just the 1929 one.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

I'm still enjoying the show. It's not highbrow fare, and sometimes you have to just roll with the needs of the plot, but the characters are interesting and the plots are generally a fun romp.

Given that they poached Bobby and Castiel from Supernatural, I am waiting for asam and/or Dean to show up...
Old Today, 06:13 AM

So, apparently Lucy's mom is

SPOILER:

Riitenhouse