The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-11-2017, 09:58 PM

dark side of the moon, then the wall, the white album fits in there some place
Advertisements  
Old 02-11-2017, 09:58 PM

Hemispheres, 2012, Signals, Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, Caress of Steel Probably thousands of times

Clockwork Angels - maybe a thousand times just because it's the most recent

I've probably heard The Wall a few hundred times
Old 02-11-2017, 10:03 PM

I've been giving this some thought and I just cannot figure it out for the life of me. I was always all over the map, musically, and I can remember wearing out a few records when I was young lad ... so maybe Starz - Violation, or Ian Hunter - You're Never Alone With a Schizophrenic, or very possibly Pink Floyd - The Wall. But then, when I got Jackson Browne's Running on Empty or Van Halen's first record I played those every day for a month too. I don't know.

And then I think back to my Ford Ranger, the first, and so far only, brand new vehicle I ever bought, which is the first car I had with a CD player in it. In went Primus's Pork Soda and it didn't come out for months. I must have listened to that thing on a loop a hundred times.

Or maybe it was Sublime's eponymous disc. It was like a sea-change to me as far as my own tastes were flowing. That's another one I remember spot-welding into my CD player.

TL;DR - fuck, I don't know.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:28 PM

The Whit Album or Diver Down.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

It's likely a toss-up between Talking Timbuktu, Ali Farka Toure & Ry Cooder, and Brazileiro, Sergio Mendes. Both albums are outstanding and will remain on my playlist until I die, most likely.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:51 PM

Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds

My brother got the double LP for Christmas in 1978, my dad the bought himself the cassette version and listened to it all the time when I was a kid. It was probably the second CD I bought (after Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms) and I've picked up the new versions and watched the live show DVD's.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Most likely "Murmur" by R.E.M. - thousands of times over the decades.
Same here. Had the vinyl originally, I'm sure I had a cassette as well. Then CD, and of course now digitally. On my iTunes account, my listen count for that album is 217.

Their album Document is next on my play count.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:59 AM

Lots over 200 spins (none recent) but try:
Kind of Blue
Money for Nothing
Beatles (red and blue albums, Sgt Pepper)
Nevermind
Rain Dogs
Chronicle
Daft Punk
Hotel California
Les Miserables
Old 02-12-2017, 06:24 AM

Probably:

1. Rolling Stones, Get Yer Ya Yas Out!. Maybe 250 times, over 38 years.

2. Beatles, Revolver. Maybe 200 times, over 41 years.

3. Marlo Thomas and Friends, Free to Be You and Me. Maybe 150 times, in two distinct periods: when I was 5-6 years old, and when my son was 5-6 years old (a period just ending now)

4. Putumayo collection called Music from the Coffee Lands. Over 100 times.

5. Trevor Pinnock's English Consort with Stephen Preston, Bach's B minor Suite. Over 100 times, but not always listening to the other tracks after this suite.

6. King's College Choir, Benjamin Britten's A Ceremony of Carols. Over 100 times (but rarely the other tracks, Hymn to St. Cecilia).

7. R.E.M., Lifes Rich Pageant (though often skipping "Just a Touch"). Over 100 times.

Beatles' Red and Blue albums might come next, along with other childhood favorites like Pete Seeger's Greatest Hits.

Last edited by JKellyMap; 02-12-2017 at 06:27 AM..
Old 02-12-2017, 06:36 AM

I should add that Simon and Garfunkel's Bookends, Clark Terry's Color Changes, and Van Morrison's Moondance are albums I prefer to enjoy from start to finish, so they'd be pushing 100 listens as well.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:38 AM

Correction: Pinnock's baroque chamber ensemble was (is?) called the English Concert, not Consort. I always get that wrong, because it uses an obselete sense of the word "concert."
Old 02-12-2017, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
I should add that Simon and Garfunkel's Bookends, Clark Terry's Color Changes, and Van Morrison's Moondance are albums I prefer to enjoy from start to finish, so they'd be pushing 100 listens as well.
Yeah, I have a bunch that fit that slot.

- What's Going On, by Marvin Gaye
- Heart-Shaped World by Chris Isaak
- Avalon, Roxy Music
- I Just Can't Stop It, English Beat
- Dirty Mind, Prince
- Matador, Grant Green
- Marquee Moon, Television
- Van Halen
- Montrose
- Strangers in the Night, UFO
- Physical Graffiti, Zep

Barely scratching the surface. A lot of early Aerosmith, AC/DC, Beatles, Stones, Thelonius...

Last edited by WordMan; 02-12-2017 at 06:46 AM..
Old 02-12-2017, 06:56 AM

WordMan, now I'm off to check out Grant Green, and Montrose.... (I hadn't heard of either one, but I see the former is a jazz pianist fl. 1960s, while the latter is an early 70s rock album by an eponymous band).
Old 02-12-2017, 07:07 AM

Correction: Grant Green was a jazz guitarist, not pianist.

Also, Montrose (named after their guitarist) was Sammy Hagar's first important band.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:11 AM

Thought of a few more candidates:

Jethro Tull - War Child, Minstrel in the Gallery
Elvis Costello - Armed Forces
John Prine - Great Days
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
Patti Smith - Radio Ethiopia

mmm
Old 02-12-2017, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Correction: Grant Green was a jazz guitarist, not pianist.

Also, Montrose (named after their guitarist) was Sammy Hagar's first important band.
Have fun and let me know what you think.

Montrose is proto-Van Halen (produced and engineered by the same folks) with some truly great songs I suspect you've heard like Rock Candy, Rock the Nation, Bad Motor Scooter, etc.

Grant Green was Blue Notes' house guitarist for a decade. Matador features the same combo that supported Coltrane for his classic My Favorite Things, and features GGreen's take on that fresh standard. His phrasing blows me away.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Tough question. It would have to be an album I originally had on vinyl (or cassette, or 8-track!) and then later on CD, and that I still listen to somewhat regularly. Likely candidates:

Rush - 2112
Supertramp - Crime of the Century
Richard & Linda Thompson - Shoot Out The Lights
Genesis - A Trick of the Tail
Wishbone Ash - Argus
Old 02-12-2017, 10:11 AM

WordMan, I enjoyed them both, though Montrose was too Zeppelinesque for repeated listenings, for me (I've always loved Zep).

Grant Green -- nothing too fancy, just tasteful, bluesy pickin' with a good sense for creative (but not show-offy) rhythmic phrasing. In other words, not unlike some of Frank Zappa's solos ("Willie the Pimp," "Inca Roads"...)
Old 02-12-2017, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
WordMan, I enjoyed them both, though Montrose was too Zeppelinesque for repeated listenings, for me (I've always loved Zep).

Grant Green -- nothing too fancy, just tasteful, bluesy pickin' with a good sense for creative (but not show-offy) rhythmic phrasing. In other words, not unlike some of Frank Zappa's solos ("Willie the Pimp," "Inca Roads"...)
Montrose was burned into my 14-year-old brain, so I hear it when I see the album cover.

Grant Green's playing is really durable - stands up to many listenings. I'll have to check out that Zappa.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:52 AM

Pop/rock: probably Pink Floyd's Wish you were here.
Classical: Gorecki's third symphony or Mahler song cycles by Fischer-Dieskau.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

I practically wore out the Brubeck at Carnegie Hall two-record set years ago. Then got it on CD and wore that out, too. It's one of the finest live jazz sets ever done.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:53 AM

Tull-Aqualung
ELP - Tarkus
Queen - A Day at the Races
XTC - Black Sea
Simon - Graceland

Nothing else comes close.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:42 AM

I'd like to say Loveless by My Bloody Valentine, but that's almost certainly second to Moon Safari by Air.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:17 AM

Answering this requires a time machine...

The Beatles, Sgt Pepper
The Doors
Moody Blues, Days of Future Past
Traffic, John Barleycorn Must Die
Derek and the Dominoes, Layla
Grateful Dead, Workingman's Dead
The Kinks, Everybody's in Showbiz
David Bowie, Ziggy Stardust
Talking Heads, Stop Making Sense

Arvo Pärt, Te Deum

No clue as to number of times played. Enough that anyone else would have been driven mad by the repetition.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:34 AM

It's either The Mason Williams Phonograph Album or Close To The Edge by Yes. Since I've listened to both frequently since my college days, the number is in the low thousands for both.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Rumours, Fleetwood Mac
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Kanye West
Revolver, The Beatles
Old 02-13-2017, 07:11 AM

Steeleye Span
Hark! The Village Wait

Many times. I'm sure more than a thousand over the years.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:14 AM

Another one I prefer to listen to all the way through is The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society. But I only discovered it a year ago (thanks, fellow Dopers!), so it hasn't hit the 100-listens mark yet. Surely someday it will.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

I also discovered TKATVGPS about a half a year ago on a separate forum and it's already in the 20s. Every track either fits into the theme or is a great song nonetheless ("Big Sky" and "All of my Friends" are the only ones that don't seem to fit thematically but musically they do, and are good songs.)
Old 02-13-2017, 07:22 AM

Probably "Rain Dogs" by Tom Waits, or "John Prine" by John Prine.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:23 AM

Q. Are We not Men? A. We Are Devo - listened to it 188 times
Abbey Road - 165 times
The Cars - 126 times

EDIT: correction, I did not listen to the song 'Jocko Homo' in its entirety on March 3, 1981. So, perhaps in the interests of honesty and accuracy I should count only 187 complete listenings.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:06 AM

Do singles compilations count? Because I've listened to The Cure's Standing on a Beach several thousands of times...and then other compilations in descending order (Louder Than Bombs by The Smiths, Bauhaus 1979–1983, Jethro Tull's Living In The Past (the SA-only compilation not the 1972 one))

If not, then it's a contest between Century Flower by Shelleyan Orphan, Rattlesnakes by Lloyd Cole and the Commotions, Aion by Dead Can Dance and Reading, Writing and Arithmetic by The Sundays, I've listened to all those more than a thousand times (like, around once a week for the last 20 years plus, with occasional play-on-repeat binges)
Old 02-13-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
I also discovered TKATVGPS about a half a year ago on a separate forum and it's already in the 20s. Every track either fits into the theme or is a great song nonetheless ("Big Sky" and "All of my Friends" are the only ones that don't seem to fit thematically but musically they do, and are good songs.)
Old 02-13-2017, 10:18 AM

Back in the day, when all I had was a turntable, and you really had to listen all the way through, there were:

Led Zeppelin IV
Dark Side of the Moon
Agents of Fortune

Now that we live in a digital music era, I rarely listen all the way through. Now that I can easily skip Debbie Denise and other such filler songs, I'll never listen to AoF all the way through again. (I don't even bother to import the crappy songs, so there is no Within You Without You interrupting my perfect Sgt Pepper album. )
Old 02-13-2017, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Actually, now that I think about it some more "Best of the Smiths" Vol 1 and 2 might also be the winner for me, although it's only one of the discs about half the time, so it's hard for me to pinpoint how many times I've listened through the whole thing.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:43 AM

Appetite for Destruction, by virtue of simply having owned it the longest; in fact I didn't own any other album for at least another 2 years. It's pretty good, too.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:56 AM

"Who's Next" held the record (no pun intended) to the point where I can do without hearing "Behind Blue Eyes" ever again.

Until I got "Quadrophenia", which holds the record to this day. There was no better way to try to "cope" with teen angst than with an entire album about teen angst !
Old 02-13-2017, 10:57 AM

Probably something like:

KISS Alive
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Made in the Shade
Quadrophenia
The Cars
Abbey Road
Ziggy Stardust

Who keeps track?
Old 02-13-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits. Listened to it dozens of times from start to finish back when cassette tapes were all the rage.
Nice choice!

Mine would probably be Led Zeppelin I or II. Man, if I haven't heard those things a thousand times by now I would be very surprised.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

For me it would probably be: Paul Simon - Graceland
Although a couple more deserve honorable mention:

Stray Cats ‎– Rant N' Rave With The Stray Cats

Bachman-Turner Overdrive ‎– Best Of B.T.O. (So Far)
I listened to this one countless times because it was the ONLY 8 track tape on the tractor I drove one summer. It was either that or listen to the AM radio in the late 70s. The Farm Report just isn't that interesting.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:04 PM

My most played has got to be the album Eagles "Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975)".

I looked the album up to see just how popular it was. Looks like it is the number 2 all time seller with 32 million "certified" copies sold.

Michael Jackson Thriller 1982

Eagles Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975) 1976

Fleetwood Mac Rumours 1977

Whitney Houston / Various artists The Bodyguard 1992

AC/DC Back in Black 1980

Pink Floyd The Dark Side of the Moon 1973

Meat Loaf Bat Out of Hell 1977

Bee Gees / Various artists Saturday Night Fever 1977
Old 02-13-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushgeekgirl View Post
Hemispheres, 2012, Signals, Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, Caress of Steel Probably thousands of times
What, no love for A Farewell to Kings? That's my favorite Rush album -- probably heard it all the way through forty times, but my favorite three songs from it over a hundred times each (not counting the 20 or so times I practiced "Xanadu" with my high school garage band).

Last edited by JKellyMap; 02-13-2017 at 09:46 PM..
Old 02-13-2017, 10:23 PM

Boards of Canada, Music has the Right to Children, by virtue of more than a decade of listening to it several times per month as I drift peacefully off to sleep at night. OK, so usually I get only about halfway through it before Mr. Sandman knocks me out, but still.

Probably next would be the Beatles' Abbey Road; it was the second album I ever bought (after Grand Funk Railroad's 'Closer to Home', don't judge me) and I'm sure I listened to it hundreds of times (on vinyl!), with a twenty-year or so gap before repurchasing it on CD.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 02-13-2017 at 10:24 PM..
Old 02-14-2017, 11:44 AM

Seconding previous suggestions of Revolver, Moondance, and Blood on the Tracks; have all of these on vinyl, cassette & disc. But my top 2 are London Calling and Exile on Main Street.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:49 PM

Obviously, numbers approximate.

But I could probably add Graceland, Wish You Were Here, Very Best of the Eagles, Best of Leonard Cohen, Negotiations and Love Songs, Morphine, a couple Pixies albums, Heart of Gold, Day for Night, Joshua Tree, several REM albums...
Old 02-15-2017, 08:52 PM

I vote that Best Of and Greatest Hits albums don't count.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:58 PM

Queensryche, Operation Mindcrime
Old 02-15-2017, 08:59 PM

Fair enough. Just being honest. "Best of" isn't really the same, but certainly a forerunner of "three MP3s from their entire discography".