View Poll Results: Rate tonight's episode of The Walking Dead
Loved it 5 15.15%
Liked it 20 60.61%
Meh 8 24.24%
Didn't like it 0 0%
Hated it 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2017, 06:13 PM

The Walking Dead; 7.09 "Rock in the Road" (open spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMC
Rick and the others are led to a new community, where they meet the residents and their ruler.
TWD is back from hiatus tonight with an extended episode. Khary Payton, Greg Nicotero, & DeAngelo Williams are on Talking Dead.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:15 PM

Gregory seemed like he was trying to channel Negan there at the beginning. "Ricky," "Margaret."
Old 02-12-2017, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Gregory seemed like he was trying to channel Negan there at the beginning. "Ricky," "Margaret."
Until the camera pulled back, I was sure he was rehearsing.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:28 PM

Negan's speech about fat Joey was the highlight of the episode.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:32 AM

Well, that was a lot better than what we had been seeing!

But I'm wondering if the writers are leading up to a big clash between Alexandria + Hilltop and Saviors. Then, just when all seem lost, The Kingdom joins them to save the day. Of course, who the hell knows who these new people are. Was Morgan supposed to be part of that group?
Old 02-13-2017, 12:41 AM

I thought the group at the end was the group that Tara encountered earlier, when she got separated from Heath. The group of just women.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:59 AM

But there men in that group, no?
Old 02-13-2017, 02:59 AM

I thought it was the female group at first too, but there were definitely men in the crowd.

ETA: Many of the men had long hair so it wasn't obvious how many were male till we saw them closer.

Last edited by Shakester; 02-13-2017 at 03:03 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:00 AM

It was the group of whoever the person we saw sneaking around at the end of the last half season was.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:45 AM

Lots of pointless talking and contrived suspense, if you ask me. The whole bomb scene was silly. Once the power is disconnected, the explosives aren't going to go off. Cut the cable at both ends, throw the whole thing in the back of the 'burban, and get down the road. Oh, and the "hot wiring" cars schtick is so so stupid. It doesn't work like that. Even if those cars are old enough to not need a RFID chip in the key - locking steering wheels have been around since well before those cars were made. Even if I suspend disbelief and accept that both Rick and Michone had intimate enough knowledge of the wiring diagrams of both those cars, were able to locate the correct wires to power the ignition, cut them, strip them, connect them, and then locate the correct wires for the starter - strip them, and connect them - all within like 30 seconds without tools or flashlights.... THE FUCKING STEERING WHEEL WOULDN'T TURN!!!

And really - what did Neegan expect to accomplish by searching Alexandria? Of course you're not going to find Daryl there. It's one person - who is very good at being sneaky - in a few city blocks. No way they could search it thoroughly enough to conclude that he wasn't there. Just dumb.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:24 AM

Maybe they were remembering the demise of Mr. Arzt in Lost.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:23 AM

Another solid episode. It is ironic that after what was the shittiest season premiere in the show's history they have created a really good season. My main complaints were and they are pretty minor:

The fake out of having Ezekiel say no when the previous scene implied he would say yes was cheap.

I would prefer that combining the different communities to fight the saviors was a long term plan that Rick had all along like it was in the comics. Having it be something he finally just decides to do makes him seem like too much of a victim than a leader.

So who is this new group? Even though there were no W's I am hoping for the Wolves because 1. it would pick up a thread the show just dropped completely and 2. turning an enemy into a friend is something this show desperately needs.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewha View Post
Lots of pointless talking and contrived suspense, if you ask me. The whole bomb scene was silly. Once the power is disconnected, the explosives aren't going to go off. Cut the cable at both ends, throw the whole thing in the back of the 'burban, and get down the road. Oh, and the "hot wiring" cars schtick is so so stupid. It doesn't work like that. Even if those cars are old enough to not need a RFID chip in the key - locking steering wheels have been around since well before those cars were made. Even if I suspend disbelief and accept that both Rick and Michone had intimate enough knowledge of the wiring diagrams of both those cars, were able to locate the correct wires to power the ignition, cut them, strip them, connect them, and then locate the correct wires for the starter - strip them, and connect them - all within like 30 seconds without tools or flashlights.... THE FUCKING STEERING WHEEL WOULDN'T TURN!!!
Isn't dynamite unstable? I thought that was the point, some of it was bad and they left it behind, which is what exploded. As for the cars I thought the same thing about the steering, though it did look like the wires had been stripped before, if one wanted to fanwank it would have been when the cars were moved previously.

I only half watched this episode, it's gotten kinda boring and this one didn't really go anywhere for me.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
So who is this new group? Even though there were no W's I am hoping for the Wolves because 1. it would pick up a thread the show just dropped completely and 2. turning an enemy into a friend is something this show desperately needs.
Maybe they are the Dead Men of Dunharrow and Rick will command them to fulfill their oath to fight the Saviors!
Old 02-13-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Another solid episode. It is ironic that after what was the shittiest season premiere in the show's history they have created a really good season. My main complaints were and they are pretty minor:

The fake out of having Ezekiel say no when the previous scene implied he would say yes was cheap.

I would prefer that combining the different communities to fight the saviors was a long term plan that Rick had all along like it was in the comics. Having it be something he finally just decides to do makes him seem like too much of a victim than a leader.

My disappointment with Ezekiel is we know he's going to join them. This is not going to be some kind of shock when it happens. I guess the only thing we have to look forward to is what will be the catalyst. My guess is that the Saviors kill Richard and Ezekiel realizes that the Saviors have no interest in long term peace. I kind of wish they would get on with it already.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:28 AM

I'm curious as to the reason for Father Gabriel packing up and leaving in the beginning. And also, who was in the car with him when he drove away? Did Gabriel know he/she was there?
Old 02-13-2017, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante G View Post
I'm curious as to the reason for Father Gabriel packing up and leaving in the beginning. And also, who was in the car with him when he drove away? Did Gabriel know he/she was there?
Second point first. When Gabriel drove away, I was sure I saw someone popping up in the back seat. But then I remembered he seemed to have packed the back seat pretty well, so I questioned what I thought I saw. I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the passenger.

Why did he leave? I think we were supposed to believe he's running away. I think he's not, and he did leave the note ('BOAT') at the end of the episode indicating that he'd gone on some sort of mission. He was standing guard, and he read something in his Bible. I'm guessing that whatever he read prompted him to take action. He knew he had to do it, but it scared the crap out of him. What is he doing? I don't know. I don't know if he knew he was being watched. (I didn't see anything indicating he did.) I don't know if he knew about this other group. I guess we'll find out.

As for the other group, I assumed the boot-wearing person we saw at the end of the last episode was from Seaside. They have the motive to send out a reconnaissance mission, and you could see the person was female (by her hands and forehead) when she was looking through her binoculars. Now it looks like we get a new group.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:25 PM

I assumed the binocular person was associated with the pontoon boat, and they followed Rick back after he took the supplies. Since they are back in the vicinity of the pontoon boat, that makes sense. That would mean Rick's smile was for Gabriel. Which seems a little too enthusiastic a reaction for Rick concerning Gabriel.

And where the heck is Judith?
Old 02-13-2017, 12:45 PM

So, back before the mid-season break Bryan Ekers speculated "That and the note that said "You win but you still lose" meant the food on the houseboat was poisoned."

Could that be why Gabriel cleaned out the pantry? To get rid of all the poisoned food from the pontoon boat? Possibly at the direction of binocular girl who was carpooling with him?

Last edited by rainy; 02-13-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:06 PM

I think the implication was Gabriel was being forced at gunpoint to do what he did. The bible was his way of calling for help and revealing the culprit.

That said, I thought it was funny that a character who betrayed them at least twice was being commended for his loyalty.

Last edited by Quimby; 02-13-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:35 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

As we watched Simon departing after having trashed the place, Mrs. Plant (v.3.0) remarked, "I want to see him die."
Old 02-13-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I think the implication was Gabriel was being forced at gunpoint to do what he did. The bible was his way of calling for help and revealing the culprit.

That said, I thought it was funny that a character who betrayed them at least twice was being commended for his loyalty.
I can't see what else "boat" would mean except the pontoon boat. But how would he even know where it's at?

The above would explain some things: you take our food and we'll take yours. But I didn't get the sense that Gabriel was in danger when he was taking the food.

Last edited by Sinaptics; 02-13-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinaptics View Post
But I didn't get the sense that Gabriel was in danger when he was taking the food.
He was acting goofy, but the guy is goofy.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinaptics View Post
I can't see what else "boat" would mean except the pontoon boat. But how would he even know where it's at?

The above would explain some things: you take our food and we'll take yours. But I didn't get the sense that Gabriel was in danger when he was taking the food.
I thought (and I could be wrong) by writing "Boat" he was telling them to go to the boat where they found the food in the first place which is how they ended up getting caught in the end. And to be honest those people (if it is them) were taking their own food back.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepKillBeep View Post
My disappointment with Ezekiel is we know he's going to join them. This is not going to be some kind of shock when it happens. I guess the only thing we have to look forward to is what will be the catalyst. My guess is that the Saviors kill Richard and Ezekiel realizes that the Saviors have no interest in long term peace. I kind of wish they would get on with it already.
Your 'kill Richard' guess may well be correct. But I would bet that Carol will be part of the "Ezekiel decides to join the anti-Negan initiative" plotline. There will be a Meaningful Conversation.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Your 'kill Richard' guess may well be correct. But I would bet that Carol will be part of the "Ezekiel decides to join the anti-Negan initiative" plotline. There will be a Meaningful Conversation.
I've been thinking about the Carol-Ezekiel thing a bit. I'm not sure yet whether Carol will convince Ezekiel to fight or whether Ezekiel will convince Carol to go back into battle. But I agree one way or the other it will play a role.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
As we watched Simon departing after having trashed the place, Mrs. Plant (v.3.0) remarked, "I want to see him die."
Show her Trevor in Grand Theft Auto V. That guy is the voice and motion-capture model for him.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've been thinking about the Carol-Ezekiel thing a bit. I'm not sure yet whether Carol will convince Ezekiel to fight or whether Ezekiel will convince Carol to go back into battle. But I agree one way or the other it will play a role.
Morgan and Carol will talk each other into it.

Does Ezekiel have insects in those dreadlocks?
Are there insects that prey on the other insects?

Last edited by carnivorousplant; 02-13-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Show her Trevor in Grand Theft Auto V. That guy is the voice and motion-capture model for him.

Simon also made an appearance on Breaking Bad.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:

I think when Carol finds out what happened to Glenn and Abe, she may be moved to take action.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
Simon also made an appearance on Breaking Bad.
That guy's great. Didn't see him in that, but he was in an episode of Better Call Saul, in a memorable sequence where Mike Ehrmantraut (Jonathan Banks) deftly takes his guns away from him.

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS6kAKj8R9o
Old 02-13-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
That guy's great. Didn't see him in that, but he was in an episode of Better Call Saul, in a memorable sequence where Mike Ehrmantraut (Jonathan Banks) deftly takes his guns away from him.

Here it is:

Ha! I meant Better Call Saul. All part of the Breaking Bad extended universe. Why don't you send Uncle Fester on his way and me and man mountain here can do the job just the two of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2017, 12:02 AM

The actor that plays Simon was also in Westworld.

ETA: Steven Ogg.

Last edited by Shakester; 02-14-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post

Here it is:

He'll always be the creepy locksmith from Broad City to me.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:08 PM

One thing I forgot to mention: Rick's story about the rock in the road (from which the title of the episode comes) was really dumb.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
One thing I forgot to mention: Rick's story about the rock in the road (from which the title of the episode comes) was really dumb.
I figure he made it up on the spot.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:55 AM

They really ratcheted up the comic book-iness with that whole audience with the king sequence.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
They really ratcheted up the comic book-iness with that whole audience with the king sequence.
Yeah, that scene was painfully bad to watch. Rick and Daryl just aren't the types to play along with the kinds of games Ezekiel is playing. The scene from earlier in the season, where Ezekiel explains that his act gives people something to hang on to would have been better saved until this moment, or slightly later, like right after Daryl got through telling him where to stick his bullshit.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Yeah, painfully dumb.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
I figure he made it up on the spot.
The story appears in The Progressive Course in Reading, Butler, Sheldon & Company, 1900, this particular copy of the book having been transferred to the Harvard College Library on 21 January, 1910.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gytalf2000 View Post
Yeah, painfully dumb.
I didn't think they story was appropriate. Yes, I can see that Rick was trying to tell Ezekiel that rewards come to those who make the effort. But in the parable, the reward comes to only one person who had no help. Rick is seeking allies to help him fight Negan. The story does not teach that everyone wins when everyone works together. It teaches the opposite: The Kingdom and Hilltop will receive the benefits of Alexandria's efforts, without having to do the work themselves.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:45 PM

I figured that Gabriel is raising an army. The food is his fishes and loaves - he's using the prospect of food to attract stragglers and turn them into followers, with the obvious biblical allusions. He is going to present the. To Rick to help overthrow the Saviours.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
I figured that Gabriel is raising an army. The food is his fishes and loaves - he's using the prospect of food to attract stragglers and turn them into followers, with the obvious biblical allusions.
That's what I get for being a heathen.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I figured that Gabriel is raising an army. The food is his fishes and loaves - he's using the prospect of food to attract stragglers and turn them into followers, with the obvious biblical allusions. He is going to present the. To Rick to help overthrow the Saviours.
That is just what they need, Gabriel with a Christ complex.
Oye!
Old 02-15-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Those people did seem to be in a pretty pathetic state.

And how crazy is it that they don't have anyone guarding the food, after what has happened in the past. Gabriel could have waked up the dead with the racket he made getting all that food together and into the vehicle.

Last edited by John Mace; 02-15-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:28 PM

Who is taking care of the baby while Gabriel is out playing loaves and fishes?
Old 02-22-2017, 04:15 AM

After getting disillusioned with the show due to the first few episodes of this season, I've recently been catching up, happy to discover that things have taken a turn for the dramatically (in more than one sense of the word) better.

But as for Neegan, my working theory has been for a while now that he's actually just massively suicidal, but for some reason can't bring himself to off himself. So he just tries his darndest to get somebody to do it for him, escalating to pulling ever more outrageous stunts. However, to his surprise, he just seems to get away with it every time, even starting to build up a following---I mean, nobody would pull this sort of shit if they didn't have a plan, right?

So people agglomerate around him, and he proceeds to try and alienate, intimidate, and antagonize them into finally just offing him. But again, it has the opposite effect: he's seen as running a tight ship, even if he's also unpredictable and unstable. But it's the zombie apocalypse, and he's got more nerve than anyone around---simply because he's just actually, honestly trying to get killed. So people stay.

Then he proceeds to try and get others to kill him. Establishing a reign of terror he knows nobody would put up with under any ordinary circumstances; but it's the zombie apocalypse, people believe nobody could've survived to this point if he didn't have some trick up his sleeve when he's parading in front of armed people with nothing but a baseball bat. Surely, they think, if it was actually possible to get rid of him that easily, he'd long be a goner.

So his empire grows; and consequently, his outrageousness further escalates. And that's the point our plucky heroes enter the story: a massively suicidal dictator-by-accident, who simply gets away with everything now because he's gotten away with it before, and people just implicitly assume there must be some reason for that.

Hell, things even are at the point where the most secure way to ensure your own survival under Neegan is to try and kill him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainy View Post
I assumed the binocular person was associated with the pontoon boat, and they followed Rick back after he took the supplies. Since they are back in the vicinity of the pontoon boat, that makes sense. That would mean Rick's smile was for Gabriel. Which seems a little too enthusiastic a reaction for Rick concerning Gabriel.
I think (although the majority of people in this thread probably know better by now) Rick's smile was because he knows two things: first, if those people wanted him dead, he'd be dead---they had them surrounded; no use coming out in the open and revealing themselves. If they'd wanted to shoot them, they'd shot them.

Second, they have guns. Rick needs guns, and they don't seem to want to kill Rick. So one way or another, he figures, those guns will end up his guns eventually.