The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-12-2017, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

"Kedi", and other foreign films

We're in the middle of the Portland International Film Festival (PIFF) and went to see two films yesterday. One was a charming Turkish effort called Kedi (schedule and trailer here), which is about the many thousands of cats that inhabit the streets of Istanbul and their remarkable coexistence with the residents of that city. I highly recommend it, if it comes to your area.

The other one was a Malian film called Wu'lu (dog, in Bambara), that was very well made, unlike (sadly) most movies that come out of Africa that often verge on incomprehensible to western eyes. This one had a good plot, decent actors and good editing. It explores the early activity that led to the rise of Al Quaida in Mali.

I'll post any others of note that we see. Hopefully there is some interest in these sorts of films by other posters.
Advertisements  
Old 02-12-2017, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Kedi will be playing at the Music Box in Chicago one night only on Friday, February 24. I've seen the charming trailer several times in the past few weeks. I want to see it but I am torn. Strays make me sad. Tell me, is there a concentrated effort to sterilize as many of these poor cats as possible? I hope so.

I'll keep an eye out for Wu'lu.

The foreign language films I've seen in the theater so far this year:

The Salesman (Iran)
Toni Erdmann (Germany)
Raees (India)
Kaabil (India)
In Padre No Tan Padre (Mexico)
Julieta (Spain)
Fire At Sea (Italian)
Evolution (France)
The Red Turtle (Japan)
Things To Come (France)
Elle (France)
Ixcanul (Guatemala)
The Eagle Huntress (Mongolian)

They're not current, but I also just saw these Japanese films at a Toshiro Mifune retrospective.
The Life of Oharu (1952) (Japan)
Rashomon (1959)
Samurai Rebellion (1967)
Yojimbo (1961)
Seven Samurai (1954)
Throne of Blood (1957)
Mifune: The Last Samurai

Last edited by Equipoise; 02-12-2017 at 07:54 PM..
Old 02-12-2017, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

(Of course, there's no dialogue or narration in any language in The Red Turtle)
Old 02-12-2017, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

The cats are allowed to roam free, whether strays or "owned". Most everybody feeds them and makes a fuss over them, but I'm not sure that neutering is a thing, or at least the film didn't mention it other than in passing.

We saw a totally (and surprisingly) forgettable Polish film this evening. Most Polish films involve history and many are brutally frank about WWII. This one seemed to be entirely about young Poles trying to find the meaning of life through drugs, alcohol and pointless behavior. I hated it.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipoise View Post
Kedi will be playing at the Music Box in Chicago one night only on Friday, February 24. I've seen the charming trailer several times in the past few weeks. I want to see it but I am torn. Strays make me sad. Tell me, is there a concentrated effort to sterilize as many of these poor cats as possible? I hope so.
We saw a sneak preview of Kedi at the Siskel Center, and being huge lovers both of cats and of Istanbul, we loved it. The cats of Istanbul are not strays in the normal sense; they are well-loved by all. The film won't make you sad, I promise! One of the most heartwarming things about it was the obvious love for the cats shown by various grizzled, crusty Turkish guys and the affection that everyone lavishes on them (the cats, not the Turkish guys. Well, OK, maybe the cats also lavish affection on the Turkish guys).
Old 02-16-2017, 01:21 AM
Charter Member

Saw another good one on Tuesday night called "Obit". It's an insightful documentary about the people and methodology behind the obituary section of the New York Times. These are some seriously good writers who try to be painstaking with their fact checking. Highly recommended.

Tonight we saw the Polish film "Afterimage" ("Powidoki"), another grim Polish film about a grim era in Polish history, when artists were being persecuted.