The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 01-25-2017, 12:53 PM

I haven't watched last night's episode, but I will tonight. Love this show to pieces. And Gerald McRaney needs an Emmy yesterday. Last week I cried three times, all with Dr. K.
Advertisements  
Old 01-25-2017, 08:58 PM

I'm feeling a little uneasy about this show. I was an early champion, but I think it's becoming too sappy and tear-jerky in a semi-clunky manner.

Anyone else getting this?

mmm
Old 01-25-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
I'm feeling a little uneasy about this show. I was an early champion, but I think it's becoming too sappy and tear-jerky in a semi-clunky manner.

Anyone else getting this?
I bailed a couple episodes ago. I tuned in to see what happened to the heart attack dude, then 5 minutes into that episode (where we found out he was basically fine) I just got fed up with overall treacly nature of the show and gave up.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:05 AM

Well, I love the treacle.

Does anyone get a rapey vibe from Fat Farm Horse Guy?

I loved how centered Young Randall is. His friends are at his party, that's enough for him. He's all about quality, not quantity.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for bumping this thread. I was trying to find it after the series resumed but I'm not very good at using search on my phone.

Randall is a great character, both younger and older versions. And yeah, Toby is just all kinds of awesome.

(Side note on Toby: I've been trying to figure out why the actor looks so familiar, and one day it finally hit me. He has John Elway teeth!)
Old 01-26-2017, 11:53 AM

I was not a fan of the last episode. Mostly with the 3 birthday parties for the kids. How completely ridiculous. Jack & Rebecca are starting to really get on my nerves with the need to make the kids have the most perfect, idealistic childhood ever. Come on. Yes, Ivylass. I too got a rapey vibe from FFHG. He's creepy ! I'll hang on through the season and hope it gets back on track. I am very curious about how Jack died. Looks like the kids are about 16-18 years old.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:08 PM

I figured Jack dies when the kids are teenagers. My proof:

When Olivia and Kevin crashed the funeral and Kevin is chatting up the widow, he mentions he loved building models with his dad and when his dad died, he smashed all the models. I can see a kid doing that, not an adult child, who could handle the rage at a parent's death a little better.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:34 PM

I bailed but then I got caught up this weekend while I was sick. It's too much for me. Just one giant emotional roller coaster. It's like Modern Family gone full emo only with a different token minority.

And yet I kept watching. I like Randall's dad. I can't recall his name but he's hip. We had a call-out for African-American actors to be in an upcoming episode they're filming in Memphis. Guess it'll be a flashback for him.

Anyone want to place bets on how Jack died now that we have a roundabout time for when? Surely it won't be as simple as a heart attack. Maybe he gets overwhelmed by work or loses his job or Rebecca cheats with his parter so he kills himself. The twins seem really bitter about his death.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushgeekgirl View Post
or Rebecca cheats with his parter so he kills himself. The twins seem really bitter about his death.
The Big Three would never forgive her for that. I'm thinking DUI. (I want to say on Christmas Eve, but nothing bad ever happens on Christmas Eve and the tease made it look like fair weather. Didn't look like a typical PA December.) While the kids have occasional drinks, they seem responsible about it, even making it a point to ensure Randall's keys were secured when they were at the cabin.

Last edited by Casey1505; 01-27-2017 at 02:07 PM..
Old 01-27-2017, 02:22 PM

Come to think of it, if he was
SPOILER:
cremated and Kate has his urn on her mantle, why would they (apparently) be at a cemetery if he wasn't being interred?

My guess now is
SPOILER:
Jack and Dr. K came to be friends, they were in a fatal accident together somehow (fishing trip to Montana?), and the ceremony we were teased with was Dr. K's funeral.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:30 PM

I really think you all are over-thinking Jack's death. We saw Kate at fat camp making it obvious that she has not gotten over her father's death, and it may be a significant factor in her weight. Closing with a clip of the funeral is just reinforcing that.

It could've been a job site accident or a car crash or a brain aneurysm...doesn't really matter. It's about Kate, not Jack.

Last edited by jsc1953; 01-27-2017 at 02:30 PM..
Old 01-27-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
I really think you all are over-thinking Jack's death. We saw Kate at fat camp making it obvious that she has not gotten over her father's death, and it may be a significant factor in her weight. Closing with a clip of the funeral is just reinforcing that.

It could've been a job site accident or a car crash or a brain aneurysm...doesn't really matter. It's about Kate, not Jack.
There is no way his death is going to be mundane. He will get shot during a robbery, die in a fire, succumb to AIDS, or some other jaw dropping event.

mmm
Old 01-27-2017, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
There is no way his death is going to be mundane. He will get shot during a robbery, die in a fire, succumb to AIDS, or some other jaw dropping event.

mmm
And it won't be quick and non-speechy, that's for sure.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:13 AM

We should get a pool going. I'm leaning toward Jack being killed by a drunk driver.

mmm
Old 02-15-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
We should get a pool going. I'm leaning toward Jack being killed by a drunk driver.

mmm
Finally caught up with the show.

I agree...but the drunk driver will be him AND he takes other people with him. That would explain some of the bitterness and weirdness with Kate. I mean, they all idealize him, so how can you reconcile that with him being a deadly drunk driver?
Old 02-16-2017, 07:34 AM

Okay. I'm pissed.

Kevin is a horrible person. I think he used his self-doubt and Randall to chicken out of the play. He left the entire cast and crew stranded on opening night. I hope he never works as an actor again. That is a terrible thing to do. (Maybe if he'd gotten ahold of Kate he'd have been able to pull himself together?)

I loved Kate and Toby. The actors have such good chemistry.

Any bets on what Randall's mental illness is, if he has one? He puts a lot of pressure on himself, even as a teenager. It's given him success but it also bites him in the ass.

I don't think Kate is bitter. If she were, she wouldn't watch football games with his urn. I hope Jack doesn't die from driving drunk. He's a good guy, overall, and that would be a shame.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:55 AM

After last week's episode, I'm going way out on a limb........

Jack continues drinking that night, decides not to drive home and instead begins walking home. In his drunken state, he stumbles into the street and is hit by a car, killing him instantly.

The driver of the car? Kate.....
Old 02-16-2017, 09:01 AM

Oh, damn, Syko. That's pretty evil. But it would explain so much (would Kate be driving at 16? I mean, legally she could, but so far we haven't seen any indication the kids are getting licenses yet. Just having sex.)

Last edited by ivylass; 02-16-2017 at 09:02 AM..
Old 02-16-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
Oh, damn, Syko. That's pretty evil. But it would explain so much (would Kate be driving at 16? I mean, legally she could, but so far we haven't seen any indication the kids are getting licenses yet. Just having sex.)
True, but who says she's driving legally? I do recall Jack & Rebecca saying they had no idea what Kate had been up to other than wearing more makeup than usual.

I think she's running with a bad crowd - just a hunch.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
Kevin is a horrible person. I think he used his self-doubt and Randall to chicken out of the play. He left the entire cast and crew stranded on opening night. I hope he never works as an actor again. That is a terrible thing to do. (Maybe if he'd gotten ahold of Kate he'd have been able to pull himself together?)
I wouldn't say he's a horrible person. Randall was clearly not in a good place when Kevin spoke to him on the phone. But surely he could have done something different; sent a note out to his mother in the audience to go to Randall, or try to call Randall's wife? At the very least, he might have shown up on stage to apologize for cancelling the performance.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:12 AM

The scene with Kevin going to be with Randall had me in tears. Lots of tears. However, I too thought he handled it all wrong. This show just keeps sucking me in and I haven't tired of it one iota. That's saying a lot for me. I can get bored with a series pretty darned quick a majority of the time. This one still has me wanting more.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Don't they usually have understudies that can fill in in an emergency? Maybe not in this case since the play seems to be funded on a shoestring. But yeah, Kevin shouldn't have just walked out and left AT&T girl alone onstage. He/they could have delayed the start of the show, or something other than how he handled it.

I'm guessing Jack's death is from drunk driving one way or another. I assume his death will be in the season finale, which makes me wonder if we will see Jack at all in season 2.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUZ MAC View Post
The scene with Kevin going to be with Randall had me in tears. Lots of tears. However, I too thought he handled it all wrong. This show just keeps sucking me in and I haven't tired of it one iota. That's saying a lot for me. I can get bored with a series pretty darned quick a majority of the time. This one still has me wanting more.
I can deal with a lot of reality suspension, but at least make it believable. Or have Kevin face the consequences for ditching the play right as the curtain rises. I mean, Sloane was saying her first lines, only to turn and see her co-star was MIA. I do hope the (highly attractive, crush on Sloane from afar) understudy stepped up and they slayed the audience and left the NY Times critic in tears, barely able to write the review.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:33 AM

Through my own carelessness, I was spoilered for the Kevin walking out thing before seeing the episode, so I spent most of the time cringing in anticipation ... and then it ended up being probably the most likeable thing he's done (imho) in the show so far.

This might be a case of my going into it with low expectations, but within the world of the show, I think it works. It was what his dad would have done, and pretty much the entire show is about people making big gestures and turning things into big moments that, in the real world, could have been accomplished much more easily and with much less disruption to other people if they had taken literally one moment to think things through.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I'm guessing Jack's death is from drunk driving one way or another. I assume his death will be in the season finale, which makes me wonder if we will see Jack at all in season 2.
Given the flashback nature of this show, even if we find out how Jack dies, there's no reason to stop showing him. We've known he's dead since early on.

I really like the idea of Kate being involved in Jack's death somehow -- even if he was just on his way to rescue her or something like that (reminiscent of House and Amber). It would explain her inability to talk about it with Toby even after they agreed to share everything.

Kevin's abandonment of the play demonstrates both how much he cares about his brother and what a selfish jerk he is.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:15 AM

I don't see a way for any of the lead characters to 'recover' from the stupid things they have recently done. Maybe, Kate, but she didn't have a whole lot going for her to begin with. Even the mother...who would take off for a tour, leaving her kids behind?

Well, I do know a rock band fellow who tours a lot, but who seems to be able to spend quite a lot of time exclusively with his kids when he is 'home'. He must have figured out how to balance career and family pretty well. But I wonder if he would be in favor of his wife taking off for a couple of weeks at a time?

Sexist, I guess, but I really think the mother is being oddly insensitive to the needs of her triplets.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:26 AM

Last night's episode was surely sponsored by the Big Tissue Conglomerate. Best episode of the season by a long shot. More than made up for the steaming pile that was last weeks episode.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:36 AM

"The two best things in my life were the person at the beginning and the person at the end...."

Damn, William. That was some episode. What a fantastic story. Show won't be the same without him.....
Old 02-23-2017, 01:54 PM

And he got to see ducks after all!

The brief scene at the beginning with William's pregnant mom, sending hubby off to war, then opening the door to two notification soldiers, reminded me of that gripping scene in Up. So much told in such a short time.

Ivylad doesn't watch this show, but he happened to wander through while I was watching it. We were at the part where the doctor is telling Randall that no, he doesn't have months, you told me to be direct, he is not leaving this hospital. We lost Ivylad's mom last July and I could tell that got to him, so On Demand went on pause so I could give him a hug.

Stellar performances by Sterling Brown and Ron Jones. Now, I want to see if Sloane slaps Kevin upside the head.

Last edited by ivylass; 02-23-2017 at 01:58 PM..
Old 02-23-2017, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

So this episode includes more scenes of William and Randall's mother meeting on the city bus. In a previous episode, we saw a montage of their bus meetings. So I wonder how this show was filmed. Did they just film multiple sequences of the two characters on the bus and then later cut up the sequences for various episodes? Or do they just film each episode independently, returning to earlier sets as necessary?
Old 02-23-2017, 02:07 PM

I don't know that it would be cost-effective to keep returning to the set, so maybe they filmed a whole bunch and kept some in reserve for future use.

Oh, I forgot when William paid his respects to Jack at the park. Damn. This show keeps punching me in the gut.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:56 PM

Well shit. I got drawn in again. It was called Memphis. I had to watch.

OOh The Peabody! Sun Records, ooh there's the Lorraine Motel. Memphis General Hospital? WTF we don't have a hospital by that name!

And it was all downhill from there. I mean it's beautiful and touching and all that, but damn. Every episode I sit through I end up a blubbering mess. This episode did not let me down in that department. And honestly it was nice to get a break from Kate. I loved her at first but the last two shows I kind of zoned out during her scenes. I don't care about her and Toby. That's a dumb name for a grown man too. And she says it waaaaay too much.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:09 AM

This show is the best drama I've seen in a long time. Every scene pulls me back to times and experiences I've had with my parents, my wife, my kids, my friends, my failures, my successes, and every other damned thing you can add. Blubbering mess is right. The story is compelling, the dialogue tight and true. Every character is played to perfection. Who could not want to immerse themselves into this?
Old 03-07-2017, 09:29 PM

3/7/17 Episode

Okay, I guess Kevin's play didn't close and I'm glad the NY Times critic blew him off. But he still managed to land on his feet with a phone call from Ron Howard. I predict he doesn't go because he wants to stay with Sophie.

The memorial for William was perfect. Annie and Tess are cute as buttons and they did a terrific job. Loved the M&Ms in cups for William's "pills."

Randall was spot on with his resignation. Calm, logical, calling them out. I'm sure he and Beth have quite a bit socked away. He'll be fine. Beth works, right? Do we know where?

It looks like Jack did get killed drunk driving, which is disappointing. I can see why Kate is so screwed up about it, but wouldn't Becca have some guilt as well, for leaving on the road trip?

I teared up when Beth got the post card. Damn this show. Gets me every time.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

I thought the memorial was too-family oriented; why didn't they tell the mailman about the service, since he seemed to care so much. At the end I thought their walk would turn out to be a parade with lots of people from the neighborhood joining in, somewhat like the Readers' Digest story from long ago, Who Mourns for Herbie Wirth?.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:43 PM

I agree that it looks like they are setting us up to reveal Jack died in a drunk driving accident BUT this is a show that loves misdirection and twists. I'm not convinced we arent being led down that path only to set up something more dramatic, although I confess i dont know what that might be.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlescanfly View Post
I agree that it looks like they are setting us up to reveal Jack died in a drunk driving accident BUT this is a show that loves misdirection and twists. I'm not convinced we arent being led down that path only to set up something more dramatic, although I confess i dont know what that might be.

I put forth the drunk driving angle way back when, but you make a good point. There is way too much foreshadowing pointing toward that end, so I am withdrawing my prediction.

Maybe he'll take a flying leap off a bridge or a building.

mmm
Old 03-12-2017, 05:13 PM

Kate says it's her fault. Is it because she told him to not sit around the house moping or will she call him to come get her at the party later? Or maybe this scene has nothing to do with his death at all. Maybe this just shows his progression and next week Kate will catch him with the girl from the office and push him out a window.

Last edited by Rushgeekgirl; 03-12-2017 at 05:13 PM..
Old 03-15-2017, 08:40 AM

Finale.

What a letdown. The last 10 minutes were good, the rest, not so much.

Gonna be a long summer.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:28 AM

I was expecting a different ending, but the fight was spot-on. Jack and Becca yelling over each other, not listening. So many TV fights are back and forth. This was what a real fight is.

So maybe Kate has another reason to feel guilty about his death? Apparently driving to Cleveland wasn't it.

I think both Jack and Becca have good points. He's threatened by her singing, but he has given her everything he could, while she wants to be more than just a housewife.

I love the shout-out to ER. I missed the date on the wedding invitation...what year was it?

It also looks like Jack was heading down a wrong road with robbing the bar until he met Rebecca. And I loved the line about how he didn't give the woman he stood up a second thought.

I agree...it will be a long summer.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:35 AM

"You are my big break..."

Best line of the entire season. In Jack's eyes, he's made his mark on the world by finding Rebecca - and getting to see just how that happened was a real treat.

True, most are disappointed we didn't find out how Jack dies, but I thought this was a very well put together episode. The fight scene was amazing - a real representation of a married couple fighting.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:12 AM

maybe I wasn't following closely enough, but I don't "get" the catalyst causing Jack to leave the house... he drove to Cleveland to see her, she called him for support, he was drunk... next thing you know Becca is claiming he never supported her or gave her a chance at a life... what am I missing?
Old 03-15-2017, 12:47 PM

He wasn't going to go to Cleveland until Young Kate pushed him. Becca is mad at him for drinking again and causing a ruckus at the club. He was mad at her before for not telling him she had a history with Ben, the Band Guy.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:50 AM

I think the writers have confused this Jack with Jack from Lost. They're going to turn his death into a six-season mystery.

My wife loves this show and is really invested in all of their lives. My favorite moment was when Jack said that he never gave a second thought to the woman he stood up. I turned to my wife and said, "You feel sorry for her, don't you?" She did. She felt sorry for a character who we never see and serves only as a plot point.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:07 PM

Called it. (post #86)