Old 02-16-2017, 11:45 AM

Wow a very special gun debate episode, and the sensible regulation won't do anything. There was no compromise there. Felicity was right, no point even arguing about it.

Still don't like Wild Dog.
Advertisements  
Old 05-04-2017, 10:22 PM

S05E20: Underneath

Oliver apologizes to Felicity for being an ass (gasp!). Felicity apologizes to Oliver for being a hypocrite (double gasp!). Does this presage the return of Olicity? (Oh noes!) Can we get back to kicking Adrian Chase's ass? And when is Nyssa going to kick Talia's ass?
Old 05-05-2017, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Didn't we get the return of Olicity, if only for ~15 minutes, pre-EMP? And to get back to kicking Chase's ass, one would have had to kicked Chase's ass previously. Chase's ass, if I'm not mistaken, is relatively bruise-free.

That said, they just buried Mr. Terrific even more by having Argus improve on his designs. Why do shows continually shit on the secondary characters I like (well, except for Christopher Chance, who got to do the Human Target thing perfectly).
Old 05-07-2017, 03:06 PM

So how much earlier was the flashback--when Oliver and Felicity get freaky in the lair--supposed to have occurred? Was it before Felicity dated the cop?
Old 05-07-2017, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

I was having trouble figuring that out when that flashback occurred. I would imagine so.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:50 PM

I believe the flashback was supposed to have occurred about a month after they killed Damien Dahrk.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:06 AM

I realize it is a classic trope that the plain girl takes off her glasses and becomes beautiful, but Felicity is much better looking without her glasses (I'm just getting caught up on my DVR). Not that she is bad looking with glasses, of course.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
I realize it is a classic trope that the plain girl takes off her glasses and becomes beautiful, but Felicity is much better looking without her glasses (I'm just getting caught up on my DVR). Not that she is bad looking with glasses, of course.
In general I disagreee -- she looks better with glasses IMHO. Though she looked better than her previous times she has been sans eyewear. (again IMHO)

Brian
Old 05-25-2017, 07:45 AM

Overall, this season was an improvement over the last two. (Not that improving over the last two would have been difficult.)

A couple of comments/wishes for next season

1) God, I hope Malcom Merlin is finally dead. He wasn't an interesting character to begin with (great actor though) and each iteration of him is less interesting.

2) The big shock ending (allegedly everyone but Ollie and his kid dies) is just teh stoopid. Swim 50 yards offshore (and all of them except maybe Ollie's ex could do that in their sleep) and tread water until the all-clear from Ollie or the inevitable ka-boom. They'd have done better to just drop the stupidly transparent faux cliffhanger and given us a breather with Olllie and um...William(?)

3) Detective Lance has been far less annoying this season. Keep that trend going.

4) Am I the only person in the world who had a good/healthy relationship with his dad? Every other damn show has whiny man & woman-children endlessly whining about their damn dads. Grow a pair and get over it.

5) My understanding is "No More Flashbacks". Yay. They got stale somewhere around S3 (this season's flashbacks weren't terrible though)

Other comments as they occur to me. I'm kinda looking forward to next season.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:29 AM

Is it too much hope that Felicity is finally dead? I swear that character has more plot armor than Mary Sue and all her siblings. She wasn't too annoying this season, but that's because she relegated back to her original role as back office technomage. But now that she and Oliver are making eyes at each other again, who knows what sort of irrational demands she's going to have next season? You should have learned your lesson the first time, Oliver, and don't stick your dick in the crazy.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
2) The big shock ending (allegedly everyone but Ollie and his kid dies) is just teh stoopid. Swim 50 yards offshore (and all of them except maybe Ollie's ex could do that in their sleep) and tread water until the all-clear from Ollie or the inevitable ka-boom. They'd have done better to just drop the stupidly transparent faux cliffhanger and given us a breather with Olllie and um...William(?)
The geography of the island was (of course) unclear, so we don't know for certain that they had time to reach the water. But, definitely a good suggestion.

My main beef with that plotline is... how the hell did Adrian Chase have the time and resources to plant that many explosives? He definitely fit into the irritating stereotype (often seen in horror movies) where the bad guy always had infinite time to set up anything ahead of time, no matter the time and expense and logistics, etc.

Still, a fun season, and a good episode.

My reaction as a reader of much time travel fiction is that what Ollie needs to do is NOT go see if his friends are dead, because once he knows they're dead, the timeline is fixed. Instead he should immediately call up Barry Allen and ask him to travel back in time and whisk all his buddies off the island one by one.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
God, I hope Malcom Merlin is finally dead. He wasn't an interesting character to begin with (great actor though) and each iteration of him is less interesting.
I'd be fine if we never see Malcolm again. However, we didn't see him die so I'm pretty sure he found a boat named Plot Device, and rescued everyone.

My dream rescue would be Hal Jordan finally comes back to Earth looking for Diggle (we find out his real last name is Stewart) and saves everyone in a giant green bubble.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I quit all the CW DC shows months ago, but I watched the finale for this and still plan to watch the finale for the Flash (I was never into Legends and I've completely given up on Supergirl).

First, yay the flashbacks are over. Nice touch having Oliver call him mom as the wrap. I still find it annoying that Starling/Star City is in the continental US and yet about an hour's flight from the China Sea.

Second, yeah, I can't believe they even tried to play the ending as a cliffhanger. We're supposed to believe not just Oliver's entire team/friends are dead, but both Ras Al Ghul's daughters, Cap'n Boomerang, Deathstroke, and Malcolm Merlin? Hell, I don't believe we've seen the last of Adrian Chase and he's got a bullet in his brain! To pretend this has emotional impact is kind of insulting to their audience.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Thirded about the false cliffhanger. The only way to make it work is to go 1/4 season without the team (which they won't do) before having them somehow surviving. But as shown when Oliver "died", they don't have the balls to do that.

That would also work on The Flash, keeping Barry Allen totally out until November sweeps and letting Wally West be the titular character.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:39 PM

I find myself hoping this could be the series finale instead of just a season - simply because its nicely bookended - I'm not really sure what 'new' ground they could continue to cover.

They also gave away the exit - the plane on the other side of the island - or the team is simply hiding inside the big plane that was sitting there.

Its been a 'good' (not great, but good) run.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
That would also work on The Flash, keeping Barry Allen totally out until November sweeps and letting Wally West be the titular character.
For the season premiere, I'd love to hear Wally at least give the opening voiceover. "My name is Wally West and I am the fastest man alive."
Old 05-25-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
For the season premiere, I'd love to hear Wally at least give the opening voiceover. "My name is Wally West and I am the fastest man alive."
He's faster than Barry, so that would be correct, anyway.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:29 AM

BTW, I loved that little Spartacus reunion there, with Manu Bennett, Katharine Law and Nick Taraby at each others' throats.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:54 AM

Apropos of nothing, Stephen Amell was on Celebrity American Ninja Warrior last night as part of the "red nose day" fundraiser.

How he did:
SPOILER:

He was one of only two people (the other being the reigning olympic decathlon gold medalist) to make it through the course, which was a slightly-easier version of a normal city qualification course, including the 14.5 food warped wall. Then he kept going, and tackled the salmon ladder, and made it up that as well! Then he attempted the next obstacle, which was clearly out of his league, and gracefully surrendered.