The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-08-2017, 11:59 PM

Legion (show on FX)

The pilot was tonight, did anyone else watch? It's the show I've been most excited about watching, since it's from Noah Hawley, who also made Fargo. I really liked the first episode and am looking forward to the rest of the season.

I didn't always follow what was going on, but I know that's purposeful since the main character isn't sure of what's real. I know he's a mutant of some sort, I'm not sure if I want to look up the backstory on him or find it out as the show goes along.

Dan Stevens and Aubrey Plaza were really good. The show looks beautiful and distinctive, it reminded me a bit of It Follows in that it's not pinned to a certain time period.
Advertisements  
Old 02-09-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lowry View Post
I know he's a mutant of some sort, I'm not sure if I want to look up the backstory on him or find it out as the show goes along.
Since there is approx. 0.00000001% chance the TV character's story will be much similar to the comic character, you might as well read it.

(Haven't seen the episode--not opposed to it, but don't have FX.)
Old 02-09-2017, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

DVR'd. Looking forward to checking it out.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:10 AM

Really enjoyed it. The best Legion comic stories have been mind-trippy, and this looks to be following in that tradition. Watching a series where the PoV is an unreliable narrator could be fun.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:24 AM

That was absolutely fantastic! I loved how nuts (no pun intended) it was, having to constantly question what is real. And gorgeously shot - looked like an HBO show in production values.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

I've been waiting for this.

I'm.. not really sure what I watched last night.

There's a certain point where you can be wacky, misdirecting, and confusing in your storyline, but if you want to engage your audience, you have to give them something concrete to form a basis of the show.

I'm still not sure what was real, what was imagined, and what was just fantasy in the show. I'll give it a few more episodes, but they better start giving some concrete, grounded-in-reality facts, or they'll lose me.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:07 PM

As far as i can tell the basic plot was fairly straight forward. David is crazy and also a mutant, he is in a mental institution, he meets and falls in love with a mutant girl who's power is switching bodies with whomever she touches (maybe temporarily, don't really know how she and David switched back). They touch, she can't deal with his power (which seems to be literally altering reality) and ends up causing an "incident" at the mental institution which kills one of the patients. David escapes in Syd's body and eventually turns back into himself and gets captured by the government who want him because he is extremely powerful but also want Syd because she is a member of a group they are fighting against. He gets rescued by said group in an action scene that makes most X-Men movies look lame and here we are.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:36 PM

It was beautifully made and quite entertaining (and I expect I'll go on watching). However, it has the baked-in weakness of all supernatural/super-hero stories: it's tough to feel a lot of sympathy for the suffering of people who have, you know, supernatural powers.

They were doing the 'horrors of dealing with schizophrenia' theme pretty straightforwardly: this poor guy! He doesn't know what's real! Those around him don't understand or believe him! ...Except the Maybe-Government people who were interrogating him DID believe him, because they knew he has supernatural powers.

It's all a bit muddy, thematically. But it looks great and the pacing and performances were great, too. So I'll watch.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:38 PM

I think that the scenes where David is being interrogated in the swimming pool are reality, and the scenes where he's in the institute are a mix of reality and stuff just happening in his mind. I'm not sure if his "sister" is real or not. I suspect that Aubrey Plaza's character might have been a figment of David's mind all along.

I think the mutant girl went into the institution undercover to find David, and by showing her his powers David revealed them to the bad guys, leading to her being hustled out, which Aubrey Plaza interrupted, leading to Bad Things.

I'm not sure that the sequence when David-in-Syd's-body and the psychiatrist go back into the institution was happening in reality - the way it was shot was surreal and dreamlike. I suspect the missing institute patients trapped screaming in their doorless rooms was a representation of what is going on in David's mind. Most of the other erratic, surreal sequences - the repetition of David's abduction, the dance routine - seem to be happening in David's mind.

The government guys say he's a telepath, and when the golden-eyed demon shows up he displays telekinesis. If they're going by the comic character, David Haller has a very large number of mutant powers, each with its own splinter personality. Aubrey Plaza might be one of those.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Watching the pilot tonight because this show got very positive reviews. Had not heard of it until yesterday. No zero about any comic book connections.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Since there is approx. 0.00000001% chance the TV character's story will be much similar to the comic character, you might as well read it.

(Haven't seen the episode--not opposed to it, but don't have FX.)
Ha, yeah it looks like there's a tiny part in common and a lot of changes. The hair being an obvious change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
As far as i can tell the basic plot was fairly straight forward. David is crazy and also a mutant, he is in a mental institution, he meets and falls in love with a mutant girl who's power is switching bodies with whomever she touches (maybe temporarily, don't really know how she and David switched back). They touch, she can't deal with his power (which seems to be literally altering reality) and ends up causing an "incident" at the mental institution which kills one of the patients. David escapes in Syd's body and eventually turns back into himself and gets captured by the government who want him because he is extremely powerful but also want Syd because she is a member of a group they are fighting against. He gets rescued by said group in an action scene that makes most X-Men movies look lame and here we are.
I agree, the overall story made sense, but if I had paused the episode at a lot of points, I wouldn't have necessarily been able to say what was going on right then, or if it was real or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
It was beautifully made and quite entertaining (and I expect I'll go on watching). However, it has the baked-in weakness of all supernatural/super-hero stories: it's tough to feel a lot of sympathy for the suffering of people who have, you know, supernatural powers.

They were doing the 'horrors of dealing with schizophrenia' theme pretty straightforwardly: this poor guy! He doesn't know what's real! Those around him don't understand or believe him! ...Except the Maybe-Government people who were interrogating him DID believe him, because they knew he has supernatural powers.

It's all a bit muddy, thematically. But it looks great and the pacing and performances were great, too. So I'll watch.
I agree to some extent, but it was just the pilot, and as things go on I could see it being clarified better.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:57 AM

Loved it. It really injects some long-lost weirdness into that universe.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:47 AM

I've got to say I was a little underwhelmed. It seemed to be trying way too hard---lots of weird and wacky and random that seemed to be there simply to say, hey, look how weird and wacky and random this is! (I mean, the dance scene...?)

And once you get beyond all that, the plot is basically X-Men by the numbers: shadowy government agency trying to control/erase mutants, mutant resistance, the works, all topped up with the well-worn Chosen One from unlikely origins that has yet to realize the full extent of his powers.

But of course, we've only seen the very first scene-setting episode, so maybe they'll take this into some interesting direction yet---I'll give it a couple of episodes. It helps that it was really well done: gorgeous shots and sets, and the action was on par with a major blockbuster (but damn, did that telekinetic guy ever make Jean Grey look like an amateur!).

Edit: Oh, and I totally didn't understand how Syd's power, and the escape, worked. Are the minds swapped? Then how does David just revert into his body? Or is it just that their bodies change, for some limited duration? But then, that also gives you the other's power...?

Last edited by Half Man Half Wit; 02-12-2017 at 04:49 AM..
Old 02-12-2017, 05:53 AM

Got a good review from The Guardian last week:
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ro-tv-show-yet

Also a follow up article looking at mental health:
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...alth-superhero
Old 02-12-2017, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

I'm enjoying it. Dan Stephens is a great actor for this role. For all the Weird, his grounded persona seems...grounded.

I'll see how the story disambiguates, or doesn't, over a few episodes and see where it goes. It can't stay so all over the place, but can't simple down into a, as mentioned above, standard Marvel mutant origin.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:29 AM

The female lead's name was Syd(ney) Barrett. The action mostly took place in a mental institution. There is another Syd Barrett who famously had mental problems. Also, when they'd escaped the mental institution, the song we hear sounds very similar to On The Run.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, I try to filter out the Pink Floyd name for the girl Syd. I think they reference it once in the show, too. If it ends up part of the plot, it matters; otherwise it's an affectation.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
the well-worn Chosen One from unlikely origins that has yet to realize the full extent of his powers.
From what I read in EW, "unlikely origins" doesn't apply but the rest of this critique is spot on.

Apparently, the main character is the son of...
SPOILER:
Charles Xavier, aka Professor X.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:59 AM
"Superstar"

Quote:
The pilot was tonight, did anyone else watch? It's the show I've been most excited about watching, since it's from Noah Hawley, who also made Fargo. I really liked the first episode and am looking forward to the rest of the season.

I didn't always follow what was going on, but I know that's purposeful since the main character isn't sure of what's real. I know he's a mutant of some sort, I'm not sure if I want to look up the backstory on him or find it out as the show goes along.

Dan Stevens and Aubrey Plaza were really good. The show looks beautiful and distinctive, it reminded me a bit of It Follows in that it's not pinned to a certain time period.
Watched it and liked it a lot. Will definitely keep with it. As a reviewer on NPR said, this is not a show to multitask while watching. You need to pay attention.

ETA I think the scene at his sister's took place between his accidental release from Clockwork and before he phoned them looking for Syd (and then being captured). I knew nothing about the comic character, so I'm watching this complete,y naive (same for Agents of Sheld and Agent Carter).

Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; 02-12-2017 at 12:03 PM..
Old 02-12-2017, 08:19 PM

My wife and I finally got the time to watch the show tonight.

Wow.

I had a bunch more I was going to say about the show, but I think I'll just leave it at that, for now. Except to say that I'm really impressed that Noah Hawley was able to stretch his range from the excellent Fargo to being equally good in an entirely different genre.

I do have my doubts that he will be able to maintain what he started as the series progresses - as others have noted, a lot of what makes the pilot so compelling will turn into frustration as the series rolls on. But, I'm hopeful that Hawley will be able to provide resolution where and when it is needed, and somehow keep the show interesting to watch.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:05 PM

That was basically .. magnificent. Have no idea where they'll go with it but I'm in.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:35 PM

Tonight's episode wasn't as mind-trippy as the premiere, but starts to explain some of the backstory while still keeping the 'something is wrong' vibe going.

Really liking the music they choose, particularly for the end credits.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:58 AM

Liked it pretty well. Following what's real and what's not wasn't too difficult, and I hope they're careful with it. The unreliable narrator thing feels a lot like Mr. Robot and that show just about blew it last season. It can turn into a cheap time-wasting gimmick pretty fast.

The lead actor reminds me of Ben Stiller half the time.

Watched the second ep but if they said, I missed it. What's Sydney's power? Was that swapping with David her power?
Old 02-16-2017, 07:49 AM

Syd's power seems to be body-switching by touch, except that when the power's effect ends the bodies bounce back instead of the minds. So, Syd's mind in David's body was in the car, power ends and suddenly Syd's mind in Syd's body is in the car. Same with David's mind in Syd's body in the café, suddenly it's David's mind in David's body there.

Which, really, could have used an explanation. And there was a perfect opportunity for Syd to explain while she and David were on the swingset, too.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:31 AM

I really liked the slowed down exploration into David's past and the manifestation of his powers. It was really well done and I have high hopes that the heights they scaled in the pilot will continue.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levdrakon View Post

The lead actor reminds me of Ben Stiller half the time.
You know he's from Downton Abbey .. which is a kind of trip all of itself
Old 02-18-2017, 04:07 PM

Only seen the first show so far .

I don't normally care for changes between comics and shows/movies, but it would have been damn hard to work Legion's severe autism in and still make him a very interesting character (he was always pretty damn boring in the comics, for that matter, only really interesting because of who his father is), so I'll allow it.

The look of the show is probably the best thing about it. Reminds me of a Kubrick movie.

The Shadow King (I'm assuming that's who it is) looks really gross.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightray View Post
Really liking the music they choose, particularly for the end credits.
Agreed. And that reminds me that I had to immediately look up online what the opening song was, because apparently I'm going senile.

It was Road to Nowhere by Talking Heads, of course.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:28 PM

I'm also enjoying this show. The opening of the pilot (The Happy Jack scene) was just crazy good.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:43 AM

It was indeed.

E2: well, it's starting to take conventional form with girl/boy, organised resistance to the authoritarians and the newly ID'd Special One being shown how to use his skill.

It may well still have intelligent to say about how society views and treats mental illness, or it could just continue to conform with a pretty standard Star Wars type quest to overthrow the evildoers.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by up_the_junction View Post
, or it could just continue to conform with a pretty standard Star Wars type quest to overthrow the evildoers.
Myself, I'd be absolutely fine with that as long as it continues with the current quality of writing/performance/production. Social commentary is fine, but so is well done escapism .
Old 02-19-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
I don't normally care for changes between comics and shows/movies, but it would have been damn hard to work Legion's severe autism in and still make him a very interesting character (he was always pretty damn boring in the comics, for that matter, only really interesting because of who his father is), so I'll allow it.
Legion stopped being portrayed as "autistic" quite a while ago in the comics. What I'd consider the definitive run for his character - and what this series seems to be based on - is the most recent (~2012) X-Men Legacy series.

In it, David is an active personality/protagonist, trying to deal with all the personalities/powers in his mind and do something proactive for mutants at the same time. It's a good series.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:25 PM

So is anybody else getting a kind of Scientology/cult-ish vibe with the scenes in Summerland? I mean, the device they used to examine David's memories looked a lot like the handles on an E-Meter, and the whole process kind of like an audit. Also, the lingo---'memory work', 'talk work', 'doing the work'... Plus, when David wants to leave to aid a family member who's worried about him, he's immediately dissuaded, again with a reference to 'doing the work'. Also, of course, psychiatry is evil in Scientology. I was half expecting a reference to going clear...
Old 02-21-2017, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

So I thought I'd check this out, as it's getting such good buzz.

Uh. Nope.

Life's too short for this kind of nonsense. I have already given up on the headache-inducing Mr Robot because of this twisted off-kilter surreality, I don't need even more of it.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
So is anybody else getting a kind of Scientology/cult-ish vibe with the scenes in Summerland? I mean, the device they used to examine David's memories looked a lot like the handles on an E-Meter, and the whole process kind of like an audit. Also, the lingo---'memory work', 'talk work', 'doing the work'... Plus, when David wants to leave to aid a family member who's worried about him, he's immediately dissuaded, again with a reference to 'doing the work'. Also, of course, psychiatry is evil in Scientology. I was half expecting a reference to going clear...

Yes totally, and I thought there was a reference to getting "clear" but I am not sure.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:44 PM

In re the 2/22 episode: this continues to be very well-made--the material itself isn't all that innovative, but the way it's presented is intelligent and creative. I'm feeling genuine concern for the safety of these characters.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:14 PM

Next episode (#4) will be halfway through the series - and I have no idea where they are going with this, or what is going to happen to the characters. That's fairly remarkable in and of itself. Also, each episode has had its own wildly different mood - #1 chaotic and disorienting, #2 tense and foreboding, #3 scary and disquieting - yet it's all fitting together quite well (so far).

So while they may be playing with the same concepts - "mutants", superpowers, etc. - as some other series, I think they way they're using them to tell the story is pretty innovative (so far).

I'm a bit afraid it'll all collapse like a house of cards before the end, though.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:39 PM

I'm loving it so far. It's true that it's not innovative plotwise but how they are telling the story, both visually and through editing is great. All the actors are great, but Dan Stevens is especially impressive.

For the latest episode, did anyone recognize the computer's voice? It sounded a lot like Jemaine Clement but I wasn't sure if it was him and didn't see him listed in imdb.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:16 PM

It is him, he also does the random announcements you hear over the intercom.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:25 PM

That fable about the crane-daughter* is not only a warning about trying to find secrets ending up ruining your prosperity, but the crane was weaving the cloth from her feathers, and had plucked herself raw.

If Melanie was a little more genre-aware, she'd've figured out how that related to her and David...

* Originally, it's a crane-wife, I believe.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
It is him, he also does the random announcements you hear over the intercom.
Awesome, I love Jemaine and thought that was him. Also, at some point Melanie said that the voice was of her husband, and that he and Kerry the guy doing the tests on David fixed up the place after he had bought it in the 40s, did I hear that correctly? Or was it in his 40s? The show has been very vague on time, with a mix of styles that could be from various times, so that stuck out to me.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:44 PM

I'm enjoying the show. Does anyone know how or indeed if the show or comic fits into the larger X-Men universe? I keep expecting Professor X to show up at the training school!

Last edited by aldiboronti; 02-23-2017 at 11:45 PM..
Old 02-24-2017, 03:00 AM

Hey memory guy, you're going to bring the two of us into some random, non-threatening memory and then put on headphones and read a book while we go at it like rabbits for the next two hours. k'thx.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
I'm enjoying the show. Does anyone know how or indeed if the show or comic fits into the larger X-Men universe? I keep expecting Professor X to show up at the training school!
It has no relationship to the X-movie continuity. It's still questionable about how much of the X-comic continuity will be brought in.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Awesome, I love Jemaine and thought that was him. Also, at some point Melanie said that the voice was of her husband, and that he and Kerry the guy doing the tests on David fixed up the place after he had bought it in the 40s, did I hear that correctly? Or was it in his 40s? The show has been very vague on time, with a mix of styles that could be from various times, so that stuck out to me.
I thought i heard in the 40s, but then she said he spent 30 years building this place which would make it the 70s at a bare minimum and that doesn't quite fit. The government psychiatrist did have a very advanced looking tablet though.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:39 PM

E3: It's so beautiful to look at. Like art, really. I hope the set designer/s get recognition.

So at the moment, the total mission is to ... rescue his sister, because the beastly evildoers appear to have made her mascara run - just as well we're all preoccupied with how he's going to bang the babe.

We're seeing more dimensions now, which might be interesting.

Don't know about the 70s, home base of the Rebels looks more like some ghastly Apple campus.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:39 PM

Can someone remind me what the bad guy agent's power is? I forget.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
Can someone remind me what the bad guy agent's power is? I forget.
He can transform himself (visually and voice) into someone else--whether that's his only power, I don't know. (He impersonated the psychiatrist--psychologist?--that David had been seeing.)
Old 03-09-2017, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
He can transform himself (visually and voice) into someone else--whether that's his only power, I don't know. (He impersonated the psychiatrist--psychologist?--that David had been seeing.)
He was also able to perceive David when David was in the astral plane and spying on his sister's initial interrogation. Whatever the full extent of his power is, it is definitely still ill-defined. I'm kinda wondering what happened to Rudy, the telekinetic guy he was most recently impersonating. Dead or just knocked out somewhere?

Loved the latest episode, by the way. So far it is still going strong. Though, like Humans, I'm a little disappointed it is only 8 episodes rather than at least 10-13.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 03-09-2017 at 05:57 PM..
Old 03-09-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
He was also able to perceive David when David was in the astral plane and spying on his sister's initial interrogation. .
He was also able to do something to dream guy by grabbing his face.