The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 12-04-2016, 01:53 PM

Arguably, branding and advertising ARE creative works.
Advertisements  
Old 12-04-2016, 04:16 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
And the showdown at the end of For a Few Dollars More is completely unrealistic. No way you could accurately pick off your opponent with a Colt .45 (or whatever he was using) at that distance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xPxMAhMRfk
I think most of the Colt .45 marksmanship, in all three of the Leone-Eastwood films, is preposterous. I still enjoy all three of them, though- the silliness was always part of their appeal for me.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:20 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
Arguably, branding and advertising ARE creative works.
All right, how's this for a non-creative realization of the obvious:

I've been driving for nearly thirty years, and only noticed last year that there are always speed limit signs right after highway on-ramps.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

This isn't exactly obvious but I've watched Fellowship of the Ring dozens of times and didn't notice this until now:

Rivendell is in Autumn, where some of the leaves are yellow or even brownish. It is, after all, October. My mind had filled in the leaves as being all pure green because of my stereotypes about waterfall-filled Elvish glens

Also, this is extremely non-obvious, but I noticed another thing that bugged me about the filming location of New Zealand. It's the first film's biggest flaw but at that an extremely minor one. I think the terrain should look more European.

Upon watching it again, I noticed that it's also the latitude. The light hits the ground more like southern Europe or the Carolinas than like England. (Incidentally, I think that's one reason people think that Canada seems more European than the USA to many people above and beyond any cultural differences.)
Old 01-12-2017, 08:31 PM

The next time you watch TOS's "Charlie X," pay close attention to the scene where Kirk tries to explain to Evans why he shouldn't swat girls on the ass.

When they're talking in the corridor, Kirk is wearing his standard "gold" tunic. He's then called to the bridge, and when he and Charlie arrive in the turbolift, he's wearing his green wraparound-thingie with the braid.

The turbolift apparently has an optional function just like the instant costume change on Batman's Batpoles!
Old 01-13-2017, 12:30 PM

Kirk stopped by his cabin with Charlie on the way to the bridge. He reiterates why it is wrong to swat girls. But he then goes on to say that there's nothing wrong with watching men change their shirts. Or take a quick shower, for that matter. "Hey, Charlie, would you like to learn some wrestling moves? Say, do you like movies about gladiators?"
Old 01-13-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner Case View Post
Kirk stopped by his cabin with Charlie on the way to the bridge. He reiterates why it is wrong to swat girls. But he then goes on to say that there's nothing wrong with watching men change their shirts. Or take a quick shower, for that matter. "Hey, Charlie, would you like to learn some wrestling moves? Say, do you like movies about gladiators?"
Just finished watching "The Naked Time." The part where Sulu tries to persuade Riley to go to the gym with him for a quick workout (and get all hot and sweaty, no doubt!) takes on a whole new meaning....
Old 02-01-2017, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

I was singing Bob Dylan's last lyric in Rainy Day Women #12&35:

They'll stone you and then say you are brave
They'll stone you when you are set down in your grave.

And it hit me for the first time: Gravestone.

And people don't think he deserved a Nobel Prize for his lyrics?
Old 02-15-2017, 10:20 PM

Just heard of a connection between the first Tim Burton Batman movie and the Original Star Wars

Not only was Red 6 (Porkins) in the Trench run and Lt Eckhart, fellow pilot Red 3 (Biggs) was the father in the family that was mugged at the beginning of the movie. "Put that map away, we'll look like tourists"
Old 02-15-2017, 11:41 PM

I've been watching "Life In Pieces" (which is absolutely terrific, by the way) for a season and a half now and I only just noticed last weeks the show's tagline: "One big family, four short stories". The structure of the show is four roughly 5-minute storylines with various members of the family in each, usually with an overarching theme for the episode. The thing is, the family name is Short. So, four SHORT stories!

Last edited by jayjay; 02-15-2017 at 11:41 PM..
Old 02-16-2017, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwards_beard View Post
Just heard of a connection between the first Tim Burton Batman movie and the Original Star Wars

Not only was Red 6 (Porkins) in the Trench run and Lt Eckhart, fellow pilot Red 3 (Biggs) was the father in the family that was mugged at the beginning of the movie. "Put that map away, we'll look like tourists"
Biggs and Antilles sure do show up a lot of different places.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:40 PM

The Paloma Faith song "Smoke & Mirrors" has the lines:

You might think I'm sitting home and crying
But I'm not, oh no
I pulled the Queen of Clubs, there's no denying
I'm having the time of my life

Since the first time I ever heard the song, I thought of the Queen of Clubs in a flowery literary sense like if a woman was described as the Queen of Hearts (love) or Diamonds (wealth). I figured the Queen of Clubs (soldiers) was someone taking charge of their life.

Yesterday, it dawned on me that I was overthinking it and she's probably just saying she's hitting a lot of dance clubs.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:18 PM

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

I've seen it a jillion and a half times since I was a kid.

Only now, on the wrong side of fifty, do I even notice all the times Arthur is trying to get various sources to get on with it and get to the point and tell him where the Grail is already!
Old 02-17-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
Biggs and Antilles sure do show up a lot of different places.
Including the Final Fantasy game franchise, where Wedge and Biggs show up in the majority of the iterations of that game since IV.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:22 PM

This is something that went over my head (and would have gone over the heads of most young viewers), but was more obvious to me as an adult.

In the movie A Boy Named Charlie Brown (from 1969--you know, the spelling-bee movie), Linus gives Charlie Brown his blanket for good luck before he boards the bus to New York. But after a while, Linus follows Charlie Brown (with Snoopy in tow) because the absence of his trusty security blanket is affecting him so badly.

What I didn't get as a kid was that Linus' symptoms--dizziness, sweating, weakness, lightheadedness, fainting--were all symptoms of a drug addict's withdrawal.

And there's another part of that movie I didn't fully appreciate until I was grown. There's a lovely sequence where Schroeder plays a movement from Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata while impressionistic images fill the screen (after we see Schroeder's piano grow from the little kid-size instrument to a full-size old-fashioned piano like the one the composer himself must have used). I didn't realize at the time that these were the images flickering through Schroeder's mind as he played--or, perhaps, he was putting himself in the shoes of Beethoven himself and experiencing the composer's visions, perhaps channeling his spirit. (We see shots of the skyline of Bonn, Germany, impressionistic nuns flocking through a cathedral much as young Ludwig might have seen them--and, at the end, right before Schroeder returns to reality, a glimpse of the composer on his deathbed and some drawings of other composers, as if Beethoven was reminding himself that others would carry on his work as he passed on.)

Last edited by Hermione; 02-25-2017 at 09:26 PM..
Old 02-26-2017, 01:56 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermione View Post
In the movie A Boy Named Charlie Brown (from 1969--you know, the spelling-bee movie), Linus gives Charlie Brown his blanket for good luck before he boards the bus to New York. But after a while, Linus follows Charlie Brown (with Snoopy in tow) because the absence of his trusty security blanket is affecting him so badly.

What I didn't get as a kid was that Linus' symptoms--dizziness, sweating, weakness, lightheadedness, fainting--were all symptoms of a drug addict's withdrawal.
In the daily strips, there's a series equating it with quitting smoking. His grandmother will quit smoking if he gives up his blanket.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:09 AM

I watched Frozen for the bazillionth time yesterday, and left it running through the credits, though I'll usually shut it off once they start. After all, I've seen it so many times...
That was the first time I'd seen that it had a scene after the credits..
Old 03-10-2017, 09:28 PM

In that classic SUPERMAN arc where our hero reluctantly kills the Phantom Zone villains, mention is made of how Supergirl "is all that remains of a whole universe." After all, the Kryptonian criminals had killed every human on the planet, and then Superman played executioner, and, well -- that's it, isn't it? As far as the big guy knows, Zod died and Bruce Wayne died and Lex Luthor died and so on and so forth, such that there was no one else left alive in that pocket universe.

So I was re-reading it just now, and danged if a throwaway line didn't suddenly jump out at me: "We are free of the Phantom Zone," says a villain, in best expositionary fashion, "while our fellow Kryptonian criminals remain trapped there!"

Huh. Just flatly declared like that? And so oddly specific a piece of information to get tossed in for some reason; and, in case extra emphasis is needed, Lex then laments that "it looks as if my gullibility has released the worst of the inmates!!"

Before executing them, Superman refers to the escapees as "the three last survivors of the Krypton of this universe." But -- they ain't, are they?
Old 03-10-2017, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
The Paloma Faith song "Smoke & Mirrors" has the lines:

You might think I'm sitting home and crying
But I'm not, oh no
I pulled the Queen of Clubs, there's no denying
I'm having the time of my life

Since the first time I ever heard the song, I thought of the Queen of Clubs in a flowery literary sense like if a woman was described as the Queen of Hearts (love) or Diamonds (wealth). I figured the Queen of Clubs (soldiers) was someone taking charge of their life.

Yesterday, it dawned on me that I was overthinking it and she's probably just saying she's hitting a lot of dance clubs.
I'm guessing she was just making a reference to the card game called "Old Maid"
Quote:
There are retail card decks specifically crafted for playing old maid, but it is just as easy (though less pure) to play with a regular deck of 52 cards. When using a regular deck, a card is either added or removed, resulting in one unmatchable card. The most popular choices are to remove the ace of clubs or queen of clubs or to add a single joker.[3] The unmatchable card becomes the "old maid," and whoever holds it at the end of the game is the loser. It is possible to discard a single card from the deck face-down; if this is done, players cannot know which card is the old maid.
She is taking charge of her life, but not warrior style. She's just not going to be the "old maid."
Old 03-10-2017, 10:04 PM

Every time this thread is resurrected, I think about posting, but it seems I have so far kept my shame to myself. Now I will reveal my stupidity:

The first time I read "A Boy and His Dog" by Harlan Ellison, at the end I just thought..."okay, well, alright, that's the end of the story." Somehow, I completely missed the blindingly obvious fact that he fed the girl to his dog.

When I read it the second time, and actually understood what the author meant, it gave me chills.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Sith Mod

I've been following the webcomic Girl Genius for fifteen years now. It's a steampunk fantasy where Europe has been torn apart by decades of war between mad scientists - imagine The 30 Years War with giant robots and death rays.

Anyway, there's one inventor - presumably dead at the time of the comic - who is universally held to be the most brilliant mind, the most talented artist, the greatest spark that ever lived, whose inventions are still prized above the work of all others - a man known as Van Rijn.

Just realized last month that the character the comic is referring to is Rembrandt van Rijn.

You can't really blame me for not realizing it; it's such a common last name, after all.

Last edited by Miller; 03-10-2017 at 10:09 PM..
Old 03-11-2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
I completely missed the blindingly obvious fact that he fed the girl to his dog.
He shared the girl with his dog, didn't he?
Old 03-11-2017, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

No, apparently he didn't eat any of her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyFC_rFobX8

Go to 1:27:31. This is going by the movie and not the novella, of course. The novella doesn't make it quite clear.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
He shared the girl with his dog, didn't he?
Oh, okay ... the second time I read the story and got the previously missed meaning was while I was waiting to have an interview as part of my college applications. I'm now 58, so what is amazing is that I remember it at all, not that I remember it slightly wrong
Old 03-11-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
No, apparently he didn't eat any of her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyFC_rFobX8

Go to 1:27:31. This is going by the movie and not the novella, of course. The novella doesn't make it quite clear.
He doesn't eat any of her at that sitting, but there are clearly leftovers they'll have later on.

Last edited by terentii; 03-11-2017 at 06:58 PM..
Old 03-11-2017, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Not necessarily. It could be that only the dog will eat the leftovers of her. That would be more consistent with the man's attitude, which seems to be that the dog needs the food desperately but he doesn't.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Just realized last month that the character the comic is referring to is Rembrandt van Rijn.

You can't really blame me for not realizing it; it's such a common last name, after all.
Rembrandt was just an artist, not a polymath like Leonardo, I think it's a leap unless Foglio has indicated the link...

I though it was more a sci-fi in-joke reference to Poul Anderson's Nicholas van Rijn
Old 03-13-2017, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
Every time this thread is resurrected, I think about posting, but it seems I have so far kept my shame to myself. Now I will reveal my stupidity:

The first time I read "A Boy and His Dog" by Harlan Ellison, at the end I just thought..."okay, well, alright, that's the end of the story." Somehow, I completely missed the blindingly obvious fact that he fed the girl to his dog.

When I read it the second time, and actually understood what the author meant, it gave me chills.
But it's a classic story arc:
  • Boy finds girl
  • Boy loses girl
  • Boy gets girl back
  • Boy feeds girl to dog
Old 03-14-2017, 09:27 AM

*sigh*

After hearing the Willie Nelson/Merle Haggard song, Pancho & Lefty, at work a couple times recently, after having heard the song many times over the last few decades, it suddenly dawned on me that, "Whoa, I think Lefty sold out Pancho to the federales!"

Then, after looking up the video to include in this post, I discovered that the video spells it out quite blatantly. To be fair, I'd actually never seen the video until now.

I had always interpreted the song with the idea that the cops had caught Pancho, and Lefty managed to escape with the loot.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:45 AM

Just noticed this last night. The MPAA logo has a film reel in the center.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:53 AM

I just realized last night that the landlord on Bob's Burgers, Mr. Fischoeder, is kind of a lame pun/word play.... Fish Odor... duh.

Before I just thought it was a kind of odd name.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
This is going by the movie and not the novella, of course. The novella doesn't make it quite clear.
Well, in a very timely bit of news, I guess we know the true answer now.

Last edited by CairoCarol; 03-14-2017 at 11:01 AM..
Old 03-17-2017, 12:41 PM

This is an old one but another thread spurred it to memory. There's a Far Side comic with a couple of scientists staring at some goofy looking people behind a pane of glass. The caption is the lead scientist saying "Yes, they're all fools, gentlemen. But the question remains: What kind of fools are they?"

In my defense, the first time I read that comic I was likely in the single digits and not entirely familiar with the phrase "What kind of fool would...?" That doesn't explain the hundreds of other times I read the comic while re-reading my collection until one day, some 25+ years later, I'd be sitting in my car thinking of something unrelated and then audibly say "OOOOHHHHHhhhhh...."

That was a real event that I still vividly remember.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
This is an old one but another thread spurred it to memory. There's a Far Side comic with a couple of scientists staring at some goofy looking people behind a pane of glass. The caption is the lead scientist saying "Yes, they're all fools, gentlemen. But the question remains: What kind of fools are they?"

In my defense, the first time I read that comic I was likely in the single digits and not entirely familiar with the phrase "What kind of fool would...?" That doesn't explain the hundreds of other times I read the comic while re-reading my collection until one day, some 25+ years later, I'd be sitting in my car thinking of something unrelated and then audibly say "OOOOHHHHHhhhhh...."

That was a real event that I still vividly remember.
I always assumed that the caption was inspired by the 1962 song What Kind of Fool Am I?:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Kind_of_Fool_Am_I%3F

So, apparently, does Wikipedia.

Last edited by CalMeacham; 03-17-2017 at 12:46 PM..
Old 03-17-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
I always assumed that the caption was inspired by the 1962 song What Kind of Fool Am I?:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Kind_of_Fool_Am_I%3F

So, apparently, does Wikipedia.

What kind of fool would think that?!
Old 03-17-2017, 06:11 PM

The annoying commercials for some blood thinner.

It was bad enough when the guy was worried about "my little buddy", which is a phrase that just shouldn't be used outside of Gilligan's Island discussions, but the newer one has him worried about "this little girl". Really? Some random little girl?
Old 03-17-2017, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
The annoying commercials for some blood thinner.

It was bad enough when the guy was worried about "my little buddy", which is a phrase that just shouldn't be used outside of Gilligan's Island discussions, but the newer one has him worried about "this little girl". Really? Some random little girl?

Wrong thread? Or is there something you've only just realized?
Old 03-17-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Holy crap! I always thought Hadji on Jonny Quest was Hindu or Sikh. I just now realized that the name means he completed the pilgrimage to Mecca. So he's actually a Muslim!

Who'da thunk it?!? DUH!!!
Weirder still...in a later incarnation of a Jonny Quest series, Hadji is given (along with a backstory as an Indian prince) a surname:

Hadji Singh.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:02 AM

A few things I noticed watching Guardians of the Galaxy for, like, the 7th time.

1) John C. Reilly's character says he had a family, and the GotG had saved them, as an explanation for why he arranged for Quill's ship to be rebuilt. Initially I assumed he meant because they saved Xandar, and since they're on Xandar, they saved them, and seeing them at the end was just meant to be a cute moment, but...

Paying more attention to the battle this time, I noticed that at one point, they were going to get squashed, and Rocket personally saved them from it.

2) When Quill's explaining his music to her, Gamora says she doesn't dance. Then near the end, when he puts on Awesome Mix Vol 2...she starts swaying to the music.

3) At the end we see the ship fly past Xandar's sun...or, rather...suns - it has a triple sun, just like the Nova Corps's insignia. (I blame that last one on seeing it on DVD, on a smaller TV...this is the first time I've seen it in HD.)
Old 03-18-2017, 02:47 PM

Here's an old one, that I have watched probably dozens of times over the years, and just realized the last time I watched it, the other day. And I have tried, through judicious searching, to be sure that it hasn't already been mentioned in this thread.

The original The Day The Earth Stood Still from 1951. What was Klaatu's disguise name, when he was attempting to pass himself off as a regular human? Carpenter. And what happened to Klaatu? He was killed and resurrected. What was Klaatu's message? Live in peace or die.

Coincidence? Or a purposeful, though inexact, parallel? You decide.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

More specifically, his name is John Carpenter - i.e., J.C. Later he went on to direct movies and be the first winner of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?
Old 03-18-2017, 04:23 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
Here's an old one, that I have watched probably dozens of times over the years, and just realized the last time I watched it, the other day. And I have tried, through judicious searching, to be sure that it hasn't already been mentioned in this thread.

The original The Day The Earth Stood Still from 1951. What was Klaatu's disguise name, when he was attempting to pass himself off as a regular human? Carpenter. And what happened to Klaatu? He was killed and resurrected. What was Klaatu's message? Live in peace or die.

Coincidence? Or a purposeful, though inexact, parallel? You decide.
I've read about this before, and in my opinion it's probably not a coincidence.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:29 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Google to the rescue. From 2006:
http://alexpeak.com/art/films/tdtess/christian/

"There have been many who have seen the 1951 science fiction classic The Day the Earth Stood Still as a Christian allegory. Indeed, apparently the screenwriter Edmund North wrote Christian elements into the film without discussing the matter with director Robert Wise or producer Julian Blaustein. “It was my private little joke,” explained North. “I had originally hoped that the Christ comparison would be subliminal.”

According to Wise, he never picked up on the Christ comparison until after the film had been released. I, for one, also didn’t pick up on the comparison until it was pointed out to me. So, perhaps we can say that North indeed achieved his objective at keeping the comparison subliminal."
Old 03-18-2017, 04:37 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Yes, me again. A much more thoughtul article:

http://www.kinema.uwaterloo.ca/artic...id=553&feature

(occurs just before image "figure 8")

"This claim is understandable when one discovers that The Day the Earth Stood Still was deliberately crafted to make Klaatu an alien Messiah, and thus the dominant intertextual appeal of the film. In fact, its scriptwriter Edmund H. North "only discussed the biblical interpretation decades later after auteurist/archaeologist-critics had unearthed it" (Frumkes 34). Yet, it is somewhat ironic that its deliberately designed religious nature is not well-known amongst religious communities, even though the Klaatu-Christ parallel is very well known amongst secular SF fans; especially Klaatu's hi-tech resurrection scene."
Old 03-18-2017, 11:20 PM

Well, then, I don't feel so bad that it took me so long to notice it, if the director and producer also missed it for a while.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:21 AM

Quote:
More specifically, his name is John Carpenter - i.e., J.C.
Lots of little "J.C."s pop up in fiction, if you keep an eye out for 'em...John Coffey, John Connor, etc.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchoth View Post
Lots of little "J.C."s pop up in fiction, if you keep an eye out for 'em...John Coffey, John Connor, etc.
I'm partial to this one, myself.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:47 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
Well, then, I don't feel so bad that it took me so long to notice it, if the director and producer also missed it for a while.
Nope, don't feel bad. I've loved TDTESS since I was a kid in the 50's, probably seen it a couple of dozen times. The Jesus allegory never occurred to me, I had to read about it.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:24 PM

I don't know whether this counts, but I must have listened to The Jacksons' Destiny a million times, before I realized that Jermaine did not contribute to that album. It hadn't even crossed my mind that they had changed their name from "The Jackson 5" to "The Jacksons" in part because Randy had temporarily replaced Jermaine in the group.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reluctant A. View Post
I don't know whether this counts, but I must have listened to The Jacksons' Destiny a million times, before I realized that Jermaine did not contribute to that album. It hadn't even crossed my mind that they had changed their name from "The Jackson 5" to "The Jacksons" in part because Randy had temporarily replaced Jermaine in the group.
Spike Lee's movie about Michael's "Off the Wall" album mentioned that they had been forced to change the name due to changing their record label; here's roughly the same information:

Quote:
In 1975, Joe had the group sign with CBS Records, in hopes of getting better royalties and more creative control, angered at Motown's refusal to allow the Jacksons to play their own instruments on record. Motown sued for breach of contract, and although they eventually let the group go, the Jacksons were forced to change their name to The Jacksons because Motown owned the 'Jackson 5' trademark. The Jacksons were also forced to trade Jermaine for youngest Jackson brother Randy, since Jermaine chose to stay with Motown and the Gordys.
https://www.8notes.com/biographies/jacksons.asp