The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-12-2017, 02:35 PM

John Wick Chapter 2; Keanu Reeves shoes vs. the world's asses [spoilers]

John Wick was a cheesy, fun, turn-your-brain-off action movie with impressive fight choreography and world building. John Wick Chapter 2 is basically the same movie, and I quite enjoyed it for what it was.

If you liked John Wick, you'll like Chapter 2. If you didn't, don't waste your time because it's the same movie with a new plot and set pieces.

Now entering spoiler-country:

I liked how they further fleshed out the larger world hinted at in the first film. Although many of the public fight scenes strained credulity quite a lot. Law enforcement doesn't seem to (functionally) exist in this world, and damn near everyone seems to be a super secret assassin. Still, if you think about it like a non-shitty version of Wanted, it goes down easier. They're all basically in the Fraternity and law enforcement can't touch them. There, now I can go back to enjoying Keanu Reeves murdering tons of mooks.

Seriously, this movie is begging for a game adaptation. I'm imagining third-person, Arkham Asylum-like, highly-refined combat mechanics, and little else. Wick is constantly parrying, deflecting, and incapacitating an attacker while using their gun to kill another attacker before finishing off the first attacker with their own gun. Base it on his jobs prior to the first movie and eventually tackle the big final mission before his initial retirement. Spend 90% of the development smoothing out the gameplay and you've got a new franchise on your hands. (Looks like someone already made an FPS, and predictably, they fucked it up).

Anyway, I liked how they raised the stakes for this one by pitting Wick against a ton of actual assassins. It's clearly being set up for a sequel, where Wick is apparently now kill-on-sight for the assassin community, and no longer has access to the considerable resources of The Continental. Count me interested.
Advertisements  
Old 02-12-2017, 03:59 PM

Does he still have the dog he picked up at the end of the first movie? I skipped reading the spoiler stuff.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:17 PM

So your game is basically metal gear solid without all the sneaking?
Old 02-12-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Does he still have the dog he picked up at the end of the first movie? I skipped reading the spoiler stuff.
Yes. Yes he does.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing Idaho Banks View Post
So your game is basically metal gear solid without all the sneaking?
I was thinking more of Arkham Asylum with guns and without the sneaking. I only ever played the first MGS and part of the second, but I don't recall the combat looking anything like John Wick.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:36 PM

Oh yeah, I wanted to add that I loved Peter Serafinowicz as the Sommelier. He's always fun whenever he turns up.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:11 PM

Saw it this weekend. The universe was kind enough to put the first John Wick movie on SyFy earlier in the day, so we got the full experience.

It was nice and violent, just like we hoped. I do hope he gets his car back in the next movie.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:43 PM

That was a fun time. The dog was enjoyable. He is a cutie. I do hope John has an undisclosed location so he can heal up a bit.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:00 PM

Is the premise fallout from the first movie, or has he gotten into a different set of trouble?
Old 02-16-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
Is the premise fallout from the first movie, or has he gotten into a different set of trouble?
Different set. An old associate comes and calls in a favor.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:34 PM

Ah, good to hear. Slaving sequels to the first story is one of my pet peeves.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oft wears hats View Post
John Wick was a cheesy, fun, turn-your-brain-off action movie with impressive fight choreography and world building. John Wick Chapter 2 is basically the same movie, and I quite enjoyed it for what it was.

If you liked John Wick, you'll like Chapter 2. If you didn't, don't waste your time because it's the same movie with a new plot and set pieces.
I'm genuinely grateful to the OP, since I noticed all the good reviews for this sequel but also remember the first one being a monumental piece of shit. I was almost tempted to see if maybe this one took a different, more creative approach that the first one didn't, but I'm guessing it's more of the same. Bullet dodged.