The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 01-31-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwolf49 View Post
Holy shit you can't say that on the radio ... you'll have the ACLU on you like stink on bear crap ... separation of church and State, can't say that on Federal air waves ... buck-o ... now go sing about dorking loose women ...
I think it is possible that i have previously seen, on the internet, a sentence that is both as poorly constructed and as full of misinformation and ignorance as this one. But not very often. Kudos!
Advertisements  
Old 01-31-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
When they banned gospel music from the federal airwaves, I said nothing.

When they banned televangelists from the federal AM radio, I said nothing.
When they banned ads for Gold Bond Medicated Powder from federal AM radio, I said "I remember Paul Harvey doing those. Remember Paul Harvey? That guy was something else, I tell you."
Old 02-04-2017, 11:33 PM

Today in Hip Hop there is a Holy Trinity of three words: N*****, bitch, and mother f******.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I have to admit that it took me much, much longer than it should have to realize that "Darktown" in "Darktown Strutters' Ball" wasn't just a place name but rather a reference to its inhabitants. Catchy tune, though.
In "Electric Avenue", Eddy Grant makes a reference to "the dark side of town". We knew, even then, what he meant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afH8PhSZo54
Old 02-05-2017, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

I remember my best friend's dad playing "Lookin' For a Handout" and other songs by Johnny Rebel. These were actually sold in record stores in the 60's.

Lyrics snippet (should probably have a trigger warning):

Now my suggestion to their problem of bein' free
is goin' back to Africa and be cannibals like they used to be.
And they can spend the rest of their lives
eatin' each other, throwin' coconuts, and swingin' from a tree.

Still lookin' for a handout
Things are still the same
Still lookin' for a handout
They outta be ashamed

Pretty sure this wouldn't fly today.

Last edited by pullin; 02-05-2017 at 07:30 AM..
Old 02-05-2017, 08:47 AM

Maybe it is the circles I keep, but last Christmas people really turned against "Baby, It's Cold Outside" due to the rapeyness of the lyrics.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:52 PM

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ry=my+quadroon

I know the Jerry Lee Lewis version: "My Quadroon"

It's been awhile since there was a cover.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

I love the song, but to be honest, I'm not sure how The Crucifucks got away with Hinkley Had a Vision back in the day.

I'm pretty sure AT would release it today, but I can't imagine the stink it would raise.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
I love the song, but to be honest, I'm not sure how The Crucifucks got away with Hinkley Had a Vision back in the day.
Probably by being called The Crucifucks.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure AT would release it today, but I can't imagine the stink it would raise.
It might raise a tiny bit more of a stink because it would become a relatively minor hit for a few million people on YouTube, instead of being a massive hit among both of the people who listened to it back in the day.

You're right: It wouldn't be played on mainstream radio. That much hasn't changed since 1985.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

I'll take "Old songs that were never played on the radio and no one has heard of" for $200, Alex.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post

I'm not sure why it's different from a lot of other punk and post punk.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

The first thing I thought of was Meri Wilson - Telephone Man (1977)
Old 02-10-2017, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanset View Post
Maybe it is the circles I keep, but last Christmas people really turned against "Baby, It's Cold Outside" due to the rapeyness of the lyrics.
It's the circles you keep.

Issue was discussed on the Dope at that time (and the Dope is where I first ever heard about it) and IIRC the majority here came down on the side that it's a perfectly cromulent ditty. Fer cryin' out loud for the last two Christmases Barnes & Noble has been running a TV commercial of Tony Bennet and Lady Gaga dueting that song.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:40 PM

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this one, as I heard it a lot during my teens in the 70's:

Boom Boom (Out Go The Lights) by Pat Travers (DV)

I will note that some of these songs can easily be done today. Getting airplay with them is a totally different kettle of fish.

And "most stations" cleaning up lyrics generally means that iHeart won't let the song go out unedited. Find a non-corporate rock station & you'll hear the unedited version.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
It's the circles you keep.

Issue was discussed on the Dope at that time (and the Dope is where I first ever heard about it) and IIRC the majority here came down on the side that it's a perfectly cromulent ditty. Fer cryin' out loud for the last two Christmases Barnes & Noble has been running a TV commercial of Tony Bennet and Lady Gaga dueting that song.
IIRC, we had two threads running concurrently just this past December.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:58 AM

I thought of two more:

"Dude Looks Like A Lady"- Aerosmith. Yeah, that ain't happening these days.

"If the South Woulda Won"- Hank Williams jr. This was a major hit in 1988. It is actually a fun song, basically showcasing something specific about each of the southern states. For a myriad of reasons we would not "Have it made!", had the Confederacy prevailed.

I think it was mentioned earlier, but I will also throw in:

"I'd Love to Change the World"- Ten Years After. The line about "Dykes and Fairies, tell me where is the sanity". Oddly though, I feel without that line, it would be a hit among the political left.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spit View Post
Or at the very least it would require some consideration of context. This (from the Wiki on the song) is probably not the best use of it:
Quote:
On August 27, 2013, Fox News played this song while introducing Chelsea Manning. As well as the use of masculine pronouns and the use of Chelsea's original name, the use of this song by the network received backlash by commentators.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I thought of two more:

"If the South Woulda Won"- Hank Williams jr. This was a major hit in 1988. It is actually a fun song, basically showcasing something specific about each of the southern states. For a myriad of reasons we would not "Have it made!", had the Confederacy prevailed.

I think it was mentioned earlier, but I will also throw in:

"I'd Love to Change the World"- Ten Years After. The line about "Dykes and Fairies, tell me where is the sanity". Oddly though, I feel without that line, it would be a hit among the political left.
Two-thirds of these songs are still played on radio stations I listen to, and that's probably only because I refuse to listen to any station which plays any Hanks Williams not The First.

How the Hell do they not fly today?
Old 02-16-2017, 01:03 PM

Jimmy Soul - If You Want To Be Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NF5XU-k2Vk - The lyrics are under the video.

Catchy as hell, though!
Old 02-16-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derleth View Post
Two-thirds of these songs are still played on radio stations I listen to, and that's probably only because I refuse to listen to any station which plays any Hanks Williams not The First.

How the Hell do they not fly today?
I think the point is, if a fresh young up-and-coming band penned any of these songs these days, the record companies wouldn't let them fly. Which, of course, is arguable. I think a lot of these songs wouldn't be given a second look if they went out on some indy label, but there's no way Warner Bros (or whatever - I don't know her label) wants Adele out there singing, "Dykes and fairies ...." etc.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
I think the point is, if a fresh young up-and-coming band penned any of these songs these days, the record companies wouldn't let them fly. Which, of course, is arguable. I think a lot of these songs wouldn't be given a second look if they went out on some indy label, but there's no way Warner Bros (or whatever - I don't know her label) wants Adele out there singing, "Dykes and fairies ...." etc.
You nailed it.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
That's believable, sure, but you could say the same about songs with lyrics like "And I dreamed I saw the bomber jet planes riding shotgun in the sky,/Turning into butterflies above our nation.", simply because that song belongs to a very specific cultural moment which is now long gone. It isn't offensive unless you think the Sermon on the Mount is Communist propaganda, but it isn't something a modern band could sing without getting laughed out of the recording studio. (The only reason CSN And Sometimes Y got away with it was something in the air, anyway... )

And, as you say, minor labels and completely independent artists obey different rules, because there aren't as many jobs riding on their success. After all, it isn't like they have access to a low-cost, high-volume distribution mechanism which could potentially rocket someone who never signed to a label in their life to widespread, mainstream success oh wait.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
Is this entire thread a whoosh, or is this just the whitest board in the world?
I was wondering the same thing. I don't see any rap in here. Nor for that matter heavy metal type music. I mean if a song about a 17 and a 20nyear old hooking up is scandalous I wonder how some edgier music would be received.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:56 PM

Rap/Hip-Hop seems to get a pass. As a white dude, I am not going to touch the subject with a ten foot pole. Checking my prvilege, I suppose.

Metal is not mainstream, and doesn't get a lot of airplay.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's amazing how that song is misunderstood. To properly get it, you have it break it down into couplets and then imagine two different groups hurling charge and response.

Group A:
Everywhere is freaks and hairies
Dykes and fairies, tell me where is sanity

Group B:
Tax the rich, feed the poor
Till there are no rich no more

Group A:
Population keeps on breeding
Nation bleeding, still more feeding economy

Group B:
Life is funny, skies are sunny
Bees make honey, who needs money, Monopoly

Admittedly, it's not the most coherent political statement. But there are two counterpoised voices talking past one another. Alvin Lee is not attacking his own side all the way through.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:21 PM

It would be interesting to see modern reactions to "(Don't Fear) The Reaper"
Old 02-16-2017, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Rap/Hip-Hop seems to get a pass. As a white dude, I am not going to touch the subject with a ten foot pole. Checking my prvilege, I suppose.

Metal is not mainstream, and doesn't get a lot of airplay.
To be honest, though, I can't think of any heavy metal lyrics off the top of my head that would fit the OP. Maybe some 80s hair metal, but most of the metal I'm familiar with (which, really, is mostly thrash type) isn't about those sorts of subjects. I'm not a connoisseur, though, just a casual listener.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzeiger View Post
It would be interesting to see modern reactions to "(Don't Fear) The Reaper"
Play it on the radio and continue to churn out metal and industrial music which is millions of times more nihilistic.

Could it get airtime were it made today? I dunno, the cowbell has kind of gone out of fashion in rock music: It wouldn't sound like any modern genre, in that the genres it once fit into have all evolved into different forms and it, being a specific song, remains frozen in time. A modern cover might do well, or it might sink; my point is, its lyrics are less objectionable than most of what a metal or modern rock station would be playing these days.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:30 PM

And if two people do it, in harmony, they may think they're both faggots and
They won't take either of them.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I don't see any rap in here. Nor for that matter heavy metal type music. I mean if a song about a 17 and a 20nyear old hooking up is scandalous I wonder how some edgier music would be received.
It's like this thread is in some bizarro world where no one has listened to any music from the past 30 years. Read the lyrics to some of the current top songs, they make most of what's been posted in this thread look G-rated.

Last edited by Eyebrows 0f Doom; 02-16-2017 at 10:40 PM..
Old 02-16-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
It's like this thread is in some bizarro world where no one has listened to any music from the past 30 years. Read the lyrics to some of the current top songs, they make most of what's been posted in this thread look G-rated.
The thing is, it's right out there in current music. Older music is more likely to be full of innuendos.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocus Pocus View Post
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this one, as I heard it a lot during my teens in the 70's:

Boom Boom (Out Go The Lights) by Pat Travers (DV)

I will note that some of these songs can easily be done today. Getting airplay with them is a totally different kettle of fish.

And "most stations" cleaning up lyrics generally means that iHeart won't let the song go out unedited. Find a non-corporate rock station & you'll hear the unedited version.
I always got the impression that his SO left him for someone else, and he was going to punch out the someone else.

I don't think this would fly nowadays either. Might explain the propensity for domestic violence and/or why she left, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9tgeaDwiCQ
Old 02-17-2017, 01:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
I'm not sure why it's different from a lot of other punk and post punk.
Perhaps you didn't listen closely to the lyrics. The screech before the outro is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Corbin Dart

I WANNA TAKE THE PRESIDENT,
CHOP OFF HIS HEAD,
AND MAIL IT TO THEM IN A GARBAGE BAG!!!!!
Now, violence in song is not unusual, but directing that violence at the President is. It's especially unusual since the Titular would-be assassin had acted against the sitting President at the time. Yet Doc didn't get even a phone call from the Secret Service. I've seen it speculated if he had used 'am gonna' instead of 'wanna', they might have discussed it with him.

Either way, calls to assassinate the President are rare in music.

Last edited by scabpicker; 02-17-2017 at 01:19 AM..