The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-04-2017, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Just caught up.

So, they did the May/Coulson kiss and then did the reveal. Coulson figured it out pretty quickly, not that I follow his logic. I didn't quite catch how Simmons figured out the extra LMD was May, but another amazing coincidence that it all happens exactly as the Darkhold is out on the floor. "So, May's a freaking robot!"

SHIELD is pretty lax in their ability to contain a situation. They have a top secret facility and bad guys can walk in and out without any trouble.

Aida punched through a guy's stomach and no one even comments on it? Holding one guy up with a bloody hand and then just sitting down demurely when Radcliffe says so, that's pretty badass. The Superior (awful letdown after the buildup) just let's that whole scene unfold without any reaction? And Radcliffe doesn't want to hurt a Koenig but he's willing to kill his sponsor's henchman?

Not sure what was up with Mack this episode, but turning Radbot on so he could shoot it in the face seems like a stupid idea. Bad writing. And we really don't need a plotline with Fitz's dad.

Keeping Maybot around will be a plot point sometime down the road. It'll be used somehow to get the real May back.
Advertisements  
Old 02-06-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
I didn't quite catch how Simmons figured out the extra LMD was May
The figured out that Radcliffe mapped his entire brain, and then realized that he had already done that to May when they were fixing her after being ghosted.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:04 AM

Interesting that Aida is based on someone Radcliffe knew (and apparently loved). I think I agree with Coulson and would have made the choice she did to live (for some definition of live).

May's eye twitches presumably signal that she is about to break out.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:30 AM

I'm getting more and more prepared for a Director of SHIELD death. I think they foreshadowed it enough in the last episode to merit a sacrifice later on. Too bad, too because I really like(d) him.

Line of the night goes to Ms. Cups as she saw how they controlled Mr. Explosion

"That's some Ghostbusters shit right there"
Old 02-09-2017, 01:11 PM

I did like the subtle reference to BSG, since they're essentially paralleling/stealing some of the themes from it.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
I'm getting more and more prepared for a Director of SHIELD death. I think they foreshadowed it enough in the last episode to merit a sacrifice later on. Too bad, too because I really like(d) him.

Line of the night goes to Ms. Cups as she saw how they controlled Mr. Explosion

"That's some Ghostbusters shit right there"
I think it's more likely they figure out he's just a human and steal his super serum.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:27 PM

I think the line of the night belonged to Mace: "I'm the blocker."
Old 02-09-2017, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Finally caught up.

I'm surprised they got rid of Senator Nadeer so quickly. The Superior is a really boring villain, Radcliffe is much more interesting. Hopefully they will flesh him out over time, but for now he's just a bad guy with money and a fetish for torture. I don't understand Cattle Prod's motivation now that he's found out that he's an Inhuman.

I'm getting a bit tired of SHIELD not knowing how to contain a scene or conduct a surveillance operation. Coulson shouldn't have let Radcliffe and Agnes get away; that's secret ops 101.

For a superpowered blocker, Mace did a piss poor job of disrupting the Russians.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I'm getting a bit tired of SHIELD not knowing how to contain a scene or conduct a surveillance operation.

The old shield, yeah that would not be a problem, but the hail hydra thing really did a number on the org. People that would have been career agents running these ops, would have gone to the FBI, CIA, BATF, Customs , and so forth.

Seriously at Phil's age, he should have been deputy director by now, but there is more fires than firemen, and its gonna be a learning experience.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Or each time he's killed and regenerated he comes back with a different power. It's like a slot machine, who knows what you come up with.
Reminds me of Croyd Crenson from Wild Cards. Interesting idea. (I realize I'm a few episodes behind and this may or may not have already been confirmed)
Old 02-10-2017, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Actually we haven't seen him since he generated his second husk.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:52 AM

So is Agnes in control of the robot body now?

Last edited by BrianJ; 02-11-2017 at 05:54 AM..
Old 02-11-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
So is Agnes in control of the robot body now?
No, Agnes' consciousness is in the Framework/Matrix/V-World, and her body is dead. There was nothing I saw implying Agnes was taking over Aida.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Framework/Matrix/V-World
Or, as seen on Reddit, the Maytrix.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
No, Agnes' consciousness is in the Framework/Matrix/V-World, and her body is dead. There was nothing I saw implying Agnes was taking over Aida.
It looked more like Aida taking over Agnes. The old mechanical person wanting to be a flesh & blood person bit.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:27 PM

Aida is cray cray obviously, and is eventually going to get sick of Radcliffe's shit.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard John Marcej View Post
It looked more like Aida taking over Agnes. The old mechanical person wanting to be a flesh & blood person bit.
This is the way I read the scene as well.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Me too. I think she'll start competing for Radcliffe's love soon.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Me too. I think she'll start competing for Radcliffe's love soon.
I can see this whole story line ending with Aida killing Radcliffe.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:42 PM

Welp, we've gone full on Cylon.
A couple predictions:
Maybot will end up saving the day. The rest of the LMDs seem full on "Takeover Shield," but her program was more "Believe you are May, but try to grab the Darkhold." She's going to fight back.
Also, I think Mace will die heroically and be replaced by a re-programed LMD. That way everyone still thinks there's a super strong director.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard John Marcej View Post
Quote:
Wait, you think Aida took over Agnes' physical flesh and blood body? Not a chance. We saw her flatline. So Aida would have to reanimate a corpse, cure her inoperable brain cancer, and based on last night's episode also give the human body android reflexes & strength.
If you're saying Aida wants to replace Agnes in Radcliffe's affections, that I could get on board with, but no way that body is now walking around with Aida's personality.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:12 PM

Aida would probably be a nice robot if she didn't have such bad human examples, but she's surrounded by the worst of humanity. Maybe that will be the moral of the story.

Damn Mace is buff. He should be a superhero.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levdrakon View Post
Damn Mace is buff. He should be a superhero.
Jason O'Mara does a pretty good job showing the difference between when he's on the serum or not. Just the way he carries himself makes him look weaker.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
If you're saying Aida wants to replace Agnes in Radcliffe's affections, that I could get on board with, but no way that body is now walking around with Aida's personality.
I'm not sure I'd say she wants to replace Agnes in Radcliffe's affections, just to replace Agnes totally. Taking that necklace and constantly touching it, I think she wants to understand what Agnes was. Prior to her meeting Agnes she may have had no interest in what makes a human a human, but now...
Old 02-15-2017, 08:21 PM

Anybody else get Street Fighter flashbacks when Coulson told off the Superior?
Old 02-15-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Welp, we've gone full on Cylon.

Adama is in the show for one season, well half a season and now we got skin jobs running around.

Bout the only nitpick I would have for the show, is when exactly did the alarm get turned off, before or after they went on mission.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Adama is in the show for one season, well half a season and now we got skin jobs running around.

Bout the only nitpick I would have for the show, is when exactly did the alarm get turned off, before or after they went on mission.
We had an actual Cylon for a few episodes too.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Maybot will end up saving the day.
This was my first thought as well. When Coulbot rebooted Maybot I assume he was talking about getting the Darkhold, and Maybot was thinking about going fullblown Mayson. She's going to turn out to have an overriding humanity even in LMD form.

How were the four agents brain scanned so quickly? I assume it means they were all knocked out at some point (by Aida?) and converted. Mace is easy, he could have been scanned at any time but Aida/Radcliffe must have incapacitated Daisy which is no small feat.

Is Aida the only one behind the plan or is this Radcliffe's plan as well. He's spending more time in the Framework, leaving Aida to her own devices. She certainly seems to be taking things more personally, especially reworking the Superior's line back to him at the end. What does Aida mean about him having a part to play? He's still alive so presumably she's talking about he still has a part to play?

The fight between Daisy and the Superior was silly. No chance he hits her with a knife, no reason for her to fight him hand-to-hand, it should have been over in 10 seconds, as it eventually was at the end.

The twist at the end of the episode caught be by surprise, so that's good. But it's really the reason I dislike the whole LMD idea. It would have been better, IMO, to stretch out the discovery over a longer time, FitzSimmons found out too quickly. It could have been a much better reveal if they went a whole episode from FitzSimmon's point of view and they figured it out along with the audience.

Interesting episode, Aida/Radcliffe is turning out to be an interesting bad.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
This was my first thought as well. When Coulbot rebooted Maybot I assume he was talking about getting the Darkhold, and Maybot was thinking about going fullblown Mayson. She's going to turn out to have an overriding humanity even in LMD form.

How were the four agents brain scanned so quickly? I assume it means they were all knocked out at some point (by Aida?) and converted. Mace is easy, he could have been scanned at any time but Aida/Radcliffe must have incapacitated Daisy which is no small feat.
I was wondering about the scanning as well.

As to Coulbot/Maybot - Maybot acted on her repressed attraction to Coulson because of what appears to me to be Radcliffe altering her baseline personality to give her nudge. Aida/Radcliffe may have done the same to Coulbot, which will give a potential interesting twist to robot love.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
I was wondering about the scanning as well.
Thinking about it a bit more, that's the missing time FitzSimmons was talking about. Although you'd think someone would have noticed that it was dark when they arrived and light when the left, or whatever was said. Why not replace FitzSimmons as well? were they overlooked or did Aida only have time for 4 LMDs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
As to Coulbot/Maybot - Maybot acted on her repressed attraction to Coulson because of what appears to me to be Radcliffe altering her baseline personality to give her nudge. Aida/Radcliffe may have done the same to Coulbot, which will give a potential interesting twist to robot love.
The backstory of Coulson/May was cute, but I just don't see them starting their friendship with all those sparks and then sitting on it for so long. Clearly May was just starting her relationship with Andrew at the time of the flashback so I guess I can assume she lost interest in Coulson after that, but he's never mentioned his obvious attraction to her. They still haven't had that drink.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Thinking about it a bit more, that's the missing time FitzSimmons was talking about. Although you'd think someone would have noticed that it was dark when they arrived and light when the left, or whatever was said. Why not replace FitzSimmons as well? were they overlooked or did Aida only have time for 4 LMDs?
Actually, I think Radcliffe hacked into Fitz's system to get the brain patterns of Coulson, Daisy and Mac when they did their virtual-world walkthroughs (Mace could have been scanned anytime after he was captured). The LMDs then could have been prepared beforehand, and the missing time is just when they were substituted.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
Actually, I think Radcliffe hacked into Fitz's system to get the brain patterns of Coulson, Daisy and Mac when they did their virtual-world walkthroughs (Mace could have been scanned anytime after he was captured). The LMDs then could have been prepared beforehand, and the missing time is just when they were substituted.
Very clever, and I'm sure you're right. OK, I give the writers props for actually making this hang together.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
That makes total sense. Otherwise, why even show Mac using it?
Old 02-17-2017, 10:21 PM

If Fitz and Simmons have missing time as well, are they also (unaware) LMDs?
Old 02-18-2017, 09:59 AM

Nothing to add other than my incessant need to participate in threads

This season is one of SHIELD's best. Good job ABC, I hope people are watching it because I would hate for it to get canceled after a strong season like this
Old 02-18-2017, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Finally caught up -
Quote:
The backstory of Coulson/May was cute, but I just don't see them starting their friendship with all those sparks and then sitting on it for so long. Clearly May was just starting her relationship with Andrew at the time of the flashback so I guess I can assume she lost interest in Coulson after that, but he's never mentioned his obvious attraction to her. They still haven't had that drink.
I hate Coulson and May together. I really liked the two of them as platonic best friends- it's disappointing that they can only see Coulson turning heaven & earth over for her if she's a love interest. The whole plotline is making it harder for me to enjoy this season.

I'm underwhelmed by The Superior. I can see why the watchdogs were on his side. I don't get why the senator was so willing to answer to him. Work with him - maybe, but why would she think of him as her "superior" or see him as anything other than a semi-convenient ally?

That said, I really do like large parts of the series.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Wait, you think Aida took over Agnes' physical flesh and blood body? Not a chance. We saw her flatline. So Aida would have to reanimate a corpse, cure her inoperable brain cancer, and based on last night's episode also give the human body android reflexes & strength.
No I was thinking she wants to be more human not literally human. But now given this week I am not as sure since it didn't seem to come up.

Side note that I may have already mentioned but I forget: I have enjoyed this second half of the season much much more than the first.

Second side note: this whole bringing Coulson and May together bit is the one low spot. It's icky and feels completely wrong. Like watching cousins try to date.

ETA: I thought what the twist at the end of the episode was going to be was that Fitz and Simmons were trapped in the virtual world.

Last edited by Quimby; 02-18-2017 at 11:23 PM..
Old 02-18-2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
No I was thinking she wants to be more human not literally human. But now given this week I am not as sure since it didn't seem to come up.
It kind of did. There was a shot where she was feeling the necklace she wears, the one she took from Agnes. I got from that move, that she may have been contemplating the humanity of Agnes.

Or maybe I was reading too much into that scene.