The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-15-2017, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

More like an emergent post-singularity next-step-evolved AI -- one which can choose to not be "seen" in the network if they so choose.

And they are not an "authority" that requires legitimacy from consent -- just exceedingy powerful, enough to go righteous rogue with apparent impunity.

Station is a powerful AI but still barely a generation or two away from Dr. Ellicott, and manifests himself to others on Earth through a holopresence so it's the link between the holopresence and his core system that is visible to the Grays, not the inside of his mind. Bubbles remembers their earlier comment and realizes they will be still monitoring any chatter about this case.
Advertisements  
Old 02-15-2017, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, JRD, that makes sense.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
It's interesting though that Bubbles does have some idea what they are. Did she hear about it while she was in the military?
Just dealing with them, and having knowledge of known AI types would be enough to tell her that.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:59 PM

We don't create pets...
Old 02-15-2017, 11:15 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post
Apparently a confession obtained through torture is admissible in this world.
I think it would be in this world, too, provided it's not the cops doing the torturing. If you go to the cops and said, "This guy tortured me until I admitted I'm a bank robber," they'll arrest that guy for torturing you, but they'll also arrest you for robbing banks.

Anyway, it's a moot point, because the cops don't know about any torture. Who's going to tell them about it? Corpse Witch? She's confessing because human justice is more appealing than what the super AI would do to her. If she blabs about being tortured in an attempt to get the charges against her dismissed, she's rejecting the deal she was offered - which means more torture.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:49 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
We don't create pets...
Not if you spay or neuter them, at least.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
Just dealing with them, and having knowledge of known AI types would be enough to tell her that.
That doesn't explain why Station, a much more powerful and connected AI, doesn't know about the SpookyBot AI..
Old 02-16-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
That doesn't explain why Station, a much more powerful and connected AI, doesn't know about the SpookyBot AI..
It could be that the knowledge is something akin to childlore - passed on from human-level Ai to H-LAI but beneath the notice of the more powerful and connected.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Because he hasn't dealt with them. And now he does know, because Bubbles, who has interacted with them, has told him.

The fact that Bubbles can figure out that Spooky is predatory, more powerful and complex, and probably only distantly related to the standard AI says only that she's interacted with them and knows the general range of capabilities and personalities of standard AIs.

The whole sequence with Station tells us Bubbles doesn't actually know anything, because Faye quite explicitly says so, in addition to the fact that there's no reason to talk to Station if she does.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

I don't quite get today's "Questionable Content" strip

Yes, Bubbles has a high ability for putting two and two together, honed by her SOF training and experience. She quickly deduces what she's dealing with once confronted with it and the Spookies knew she would, but she did not actually know before. The existence of the Spookies could be hypothesized among AIs exposed to some real Dark Ops activity but not taken as a given; and more likely seen as just one more CT by an "established" AI like Station.

Also Station is by himself more powerful and connected in a raw specs sense, but the Spookies are, shall we say, far sharper-edged (and more distributed). One can do orbital bombardment, the other can hit your enemy's brain w/o leaving tracks, find a way around comms encryption in real time, and be in several places at the same time.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 02-16-2017 at 08:13 AM..
Old 02-16-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Because he hasn't dealt with them. And now he does know, because Bubbles, who has interacted with them, has told him.

The fact that Bubbles can figure out that Spooky is predatory, more powerful and complex, and probably only distantly related to the standard AI says only that she's interacted with them and knows the general range of capabilities and personalities of standard AIs.

The whole sequence with Station tells us Bubbles doesn't actually know anything, because Faye quite explicitly says so, in addition to the fact that there's no reason to talk to Station if she does.
Faye originally suggested they talk to Hanners and ask her to talk to Station, because Station is a superpowerful AI who is also best friends with Hanners and would presumably be more willing to assist than any other AI off the street.

Station said, sorry, this is too complex even for me, but I'd be glad to perform a unnecessarily violent act against Corpse Witch (seriously, if you're dropping something from orbit, you don't need a railgun).

SpookyBot showed up, said they'd heard chatter about Bubbles problem and offered to help. When Bubbles asked how she could trust them, SpookyBot replied "Darling, we think you know what we are. And we never lie."

That's saying a lot more than just Bubbles doesn't know anything, but figured out what SpookyBot must be because of how powerful they are. That implies to me at least some personal knowledge that Bubbles has, beyond rumor and legend.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:10 AM

Yeah, it's been clear for a while that Bubbles knows who they are. And seeing as she's former military, my assumption has always been that SpookyBot is a top secret experiment that Bubbles learned about in her time in the military. Hence how she knows things like "we never lie."

The only other idea I've had is just that SpookyBot has interacted with AI before, and thus rumors have spread, probably mostly among the criminal element. Station, having been stuck up in space until recently (back when Hanners visited, he indicating appearing on Earth was not an option) and thus not interacted with other AI, has never heard the rumors.

In fact, I think it's likely both. Explains Bubbles knowing they don't lie, and how they are something other AIs fear.

Last edited by BigT; 02-16-2017 at 10:11 AM..
Old 02-16-2017, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

I suspect we're all putting considerably more thought into these questions than Jeph did.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post
I suspect we're all putting considerably more thought into these questions than Jeph did.
Normally I'd agree with you in the general case, but considering that Jeph wrote a fictional speech to the UN on AI rights just so he could quote it in the comic, I suspect he has put quite a bit of thought into it. Though he'd probably have dropped a butt joke into the discussion by now, like today's strip demonstrates.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:05 PM

I see Bubbles, Pintsize etc as Banksian drones, Station and that ilk as "normal" Ship or Orbital Minds, and Spooky as the GSV Grey Area
Old 02-16-2017, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...Jeph wrote a fictional speech to the UN on AI rights just so he could quote it in the comic ....
Wow. I stand corrected.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:25 PM

I did kind of wonder in this arc about Jeremy and the moral implications of creating an AI that has the capability to want to read comics but is a one-armed immobile object that is thus incapable of obtaining them other than via others.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

I get it now. The whole strip is about life after the AI singularity!

Sure makes a lot more sense to me now . . .
Old 02-16-2017, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post

IIRC Pintsize commented on how aniticlimactically non-apocalyptic it had been.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I see Bubbles, Pintsize etc as Banksian drones, Station and that ilk as "normal" Ship or Orbital Minds, and Spooky as the GSV Grey Area
Yes, Jeph has definitely read up on the Culture, but the problem with your analogy is that the Special Circumstances Minds aren't more powerful than other Minds, just meaner. Presumably the Minds controlling the System class GSV Empiricist are as/more powerful than GCU Minds like Grey Area.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:08 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post

Yep.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzeiger View Post
I did kind of wonder in this arc about Jeremy and the moral implications of creating an AI that has the capability to want to read comics but is a one-armed immobile object that is thus incapable of obtaining them other than via others.
You can buy comics online...
Old 02-17-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
You do know what a p-zombie is supposed to be, right?
No, actually. I've always been more of the Turing test fan for sentience. In other words, if it appears conscious, it is conscious. Otherwise, I can't really know if anyone else is conscious, and that totally messes up any morality I have, since it's based on other people being people like me.

Interesting idea, though. Jeph has brought up before whether even the AI we currently know are conscious. In fact, that UN speech above has the relevant parts.

Still, since I treat them as conscious entities, I see no reason not to treat SpookyBot as conscious.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Yes, Jeph has definitely read up on the Culture, but the problem with your analogy is that the Special Circumstances Minds aren't more powerful than other Minds, just meaner.
I was more referring to the Meatfucker's talents for mind-ripping and the like.
Quote:
Presumably the Minds controlling the System class GSV Empiricist are as/more powerful than GCU Minds like Grey Area.
I didn't get that impression, I gathered that all era-cohort Minds (not small-m minds like drones) were of more-or-less equal capacity and the distinction was more based on how old the Mind was. I think this is backed up by the fact that a Mind can move from a Ship to an Orbital without major changes being indicated. Also note that as you say, at least some GSVs are run by multiple Minds. The Empiricist, for instance, has 7 - so power is not scalable, clearly.

Last edited by MrDibble; 02-17-2017 at 09:34 AM..
Old 02-17-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I was more referring to the Meatfucker's talents for mind-ripping and the like.

I didn't get that impression, I gathered that all era-cohort Minds (not small-m minds like drones) were of more-or-less equal capacity and the distinction was more based on how old the Mind was. I think this is backed up by the fact that a Mind can move from a Ship to an Orbital without major changes being indicated. Also note that as you say, at least some GSVs are run by multiple Minds. The Empiricist, for instance, has 7 - so power is not scalable, clearly.
Yeah, you're right. I actually thought about it more, and the utterly hilarious scene in Excesssion when the Core Group gets taken over by the Interesting Times Gang, who immediately expel the procedure-worshipping chairperson Mind(s?). The ITG was old, but some of them were relatively small ships, IIRC.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:11 PM

I just re-read Bubbles' explanation for what Corpse Witch did, and it sounds like Corpse Witch may have the opportunity to become very wealthy once the news gets out. It doesn't sound like what Corpse Witch did was illegal, just highly unethical, with a possibility of not even that, with a willing subject. So, AI's out there who want to kind of forget something now have the opportunity to do so. Particularly handy once they're a few centuries old and really don't need to remember what they read in the newspaper 150 years ago.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Can't we just get back to Emily doing goofy stuff?
Old 02-18-2017, 06:05 PM

She was remarkably lucid when she was jacked into Bubbles' head.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:09 PM

I don't recognize the redhead showing off her muscles in today's (22 March 2017) strip (#3443). Is she new or have I forgotten her?
Old 03-21-2017, 11:24 PM

It's Tai. Marten and Claire's boss, Dora's girlfriend.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:08 AM

If that's Tai, she's been doing a lot more than rock climbing ... I mean, I get that it might give you muscles, but the waist and the booty? This is Tai before...
Old 03-22-2017, 12:29 AM

It's Tai. Nobody else has an elbow tattoo.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's Tai. Nobody else has an elbow tattoo.
And it explains why she suddenly jumped up when Dora complimented Elliot.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:23 AM

Quote:
If that's Tai, she's been doing a lot more than rock climbing ... I mean, I get that it might give you muscles, but the waist and the booty? This is Tai before...
That was at least one if not two art style shifts ago. Everyone is wider now.

Here is her most recent appearance.

And here is probably the comic that inspired her to start working out.

(In case you think I'm some uberfan, it's not that. I just have installed Questionable Extensions, which, among other things, tags all the characters and lets me easily jump to the previous comic where they appeared.

Last edited by BigT; 03-22-2017 at 01:25 AM..
Old 03-22-2017, 08:46 AM

It's not just the body. The face is different. I hadn't forgotten Tai, or her star tattoo, but I really found today's rendition of her unrecognizable. Ah well.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:25 AM

It's the lack of glasses
Old 03-22-2017, 11:04 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Look! Tai has taken off her glasses! Why, she's beautiful!

She's also got the plug things in her ears. Maybe she and Dora had it done together? And it looks like she got herself an uber-butch haircut because Dora liked it on Faye.

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 03-22-2017 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 03-22-2017, 03:56 PM

Hmm? Far as I can tell, she's wearing the same plugs she was back during Jeph's 'everyone is a stick' style.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Look! Tai has taken off her glasses! Why, she's beautiful!

She's also got the plug things in her ears. Maybe she and Dora had it done together? And it looks like she got herself an uber-butch haircut because Dora liked it on Faye.
Nah, they've both had plugs for a while.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
(In case you think I'm some uberfan, it's not that. I just have installed Questionable Extensions, which, among other things, tags all the characters and lets me easily jump to the previous comic where they appeared.
Thanks for that. What a fun extension!
Old 03-22-2017, 06:44 PM

BigT and everyone else, you might also like QC's WikiQuote page, which I've worked on quite extensively.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
It's not just the body. The face is different. I hadn't forgotten Tai, or her star tattoo, but I really found today's rendition of her unrecognizable. Ah well.
It doesn't help that all Jeph's profiles seem to look similar, with the same chin. He's just not good at drawing people from the side. And her hair changed again. And he now has this habit of squishing faces in the bottom panels for some reason.

That said, all I needed was her hair color and proximity to Dora to know who she was. Her small stature probably helped, too.

Last edited by BigT; 03-22-2017 at 08:50 PM..