The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 04-05-2016, 03:16 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Well, Larry David, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and Michael Richards graciously consented to interviews on Jerry's hit web series Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. They were wonderful, insightful interviews.

Jason Alexander did a coffee shop scene in character as George Costanza. Seems very odd he wouldn't do a real interview with an old friend.

Seinfeld never asks intrusive or deeply personal questions. He's interviewed some big names in the comedy business.
The Seinfeld/Costanza episode was a tie in with an ad that aired during the Superbowl. In other words it was a publicity stunt to get more viewers to see Comedians in Cars. That's why he was in character. Not because he is a diva that wouldn't appear as himself. The guy recently spent an hour talking about his career with Chris Hardwick and seemed very affable. It's not like he shys away from interviews.
Advertisements  
Old 04-05-2016, 03:21 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

This proves nothing in itself but he has been married to the same woman for 34 years. She's a pleasant enough looking woman but you would think if he were a complete jackass he would have traded her in for a younger model with all his Seinfeld money.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:04 PM

Speaking of Jason Alexander. He was on the local talkie on my drive home today. He was promoting a live show he is doing with a symphony. Apparently it's about him and his days when he was doing theater and musical theater before Seinfeld. He's doing the show in my neck of the woods this weekend so he was doing the rounds promoting it.

He came off very genial and said his first love will always be theater and in his show he will directly interact with the audience and how much fun it has been so far.

I was going to link to the event on his website but I couldn't find a website.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:23 AM
SDSAB

I've heard nothing bad about his real-world personality. He's a huge Trekker, as it happens, and appeared in an episode of Star Trek: Voyager as a very un-Georgelike character:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY0x5N4RmwI
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Kurros

And I love him for doing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM8eRnWqY7o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
...Yeah anyone who thinks people are playing themselves on CYA is missing the point and probably most of the jokes. They play fictionalization versions of themselves often in a bad light. I recently started a thread trying to find out if any show before Larry Sanders did this. Certainly CYA, Extras, Episodes and a few other shows have made this a large part of the show....
Are you just covering your ass about Curb Your Enthusiasm?
Old 04-07-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
This proves nothing in itself but he has been married to the same woman for 34 years. She's a pleasant enough looking woman but you would think if he were a complete jackass he would have traded her in for a younger model with all his Seinfeld money.
Wow. She looks to be at least 6 inches taller than him.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
And I love him for doing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM8eRnWqY7o
I'm really into 2 Broke Girls right now and love the girls. I will forever love Jason for doing that. I will love him, and pet him, and call him George.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
The Seinfeld/Costanza episode was a tie in with an ad that aired during the Superbowl. In other words it was a publicity stunt to get more viewers to see Comedians in Cars. That's why he was in character. Not because he is a diva that wouldn't appear as himself. The guy recently spent an hour talking about his career with Chris Hardwick and seemed very affable. It's not like he shys away from interviews.
I didn't know about the Super Bowl ad tie in. That explains a lot. It was confusing because the other comics have done real interviews. The interview with Julia Louis-Dreyfus is my favorite of the series.

I guess theres always a chance Jason will come back as himself for a real interview.

Last edited by aceplace57; 04-07-2016 at 12:57 PM..
Old 04-07-2016, 03:30 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I didn't know about the Super Bowl ad tie in. That explains a lot. It was confusing because the other comics have done real interviews. The interview with Julia Louis-Dreyfus is my favorite of the series.

I guess theres always a chance Jason will come back as himself for a real interview.
I remember there was a lot of speculation around it because there were pictures leaked of the two of them at Tom's Diner. Then there was the Super Bowl commercial which was basically a long ad for the web show. Here is the actual commercial as it aired. An interview with Jason Alexander would not have gotten any publicity.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HISSNLISSN View Post
I thought the George Costanza character in Seinfeld was a thinly veiled Larry David?
Not even veiled, really. When I binged on the whole series, I watched some of the extra features too. In one of his, he said he originally based his character on Woody Allen.

But then at one point he told Larry David "This thing that happens to my character here ... no-one in the world would ever react the way you have George reacting!". To which David replied "Wadda ya mean? That happened to me, and that's exactly how I reacted!". At which point he realises that his character IS Larry David, and he played him that way for the rest of the series.

And I have to say, he seemed a perfectly reasonable chap in those extra features - VERY different from George.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:35 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
I'm really into 2 Broke Girls right now and love the girls. I will forever love Jason for doing that. I will love him, and pet him, and call him George.
"Believe it or not, his name isn't George...."
Old 04-08-2016, 09:45 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askance View Post
Not even veiled, really. When I binged on the whole series, I watched some of the extra features too. In one of his, he said he originally based his character on Woody Allen.

But then at one point he told Larry David "This thing that happens to my character here ... no-one in the world would ever react the way you have George reacting!". To which David replied "Wadda ya mean? That happened to me, and that's exactly how I reacted!". At which point he realises that his character IS Larry David, and he played him that way for the rest of the series.

And I have to say, he seemed a perfectly reasonable chap in those extra features - VERY different from George.
The first episode it is obvious he is doing Woody Allen. IIRC it changed immediately.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:36 PM
SDSAB

Bumped.

There's a new documentary about a notorious Broadway flop he was in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwqEdQykJU
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_W..._Have_Happened
Old 01-30-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
I just got the impression, especially from Jerry Seinfeld and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, that they were basically "playing themselves", so I just attached that to Alexander. Perhaps that was unfair. I have to say, he was easily the most abrasive of the Seinfeld cast, but when in the George character, he was his usual, paranoid Costanza.
Ehh.. no they're actors. Michael Richards is/was a real life angry racist, Julia Louis-Dreyfus is/was the real life daughter of a billionaire and raised in that world, 39 YO (at the time) Jerry Seinfeld dated a 17 year old and could have cared less what people thought. Did any of that come out in their show characters?
Old 01-30-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
Ehh.. no they're actors. Michael Richards is/was a real life angry racist, Julia Louis-Dreyfus is/was the real life daughter of a billionaire and raised in that world, 39 YO (at the time) Jerry Seinfeld dated a 17 year old and could have cared less what people thought. Did any of that come out in their show characters?
Jerry wasn't at all like the other 3 in terms of acting abilities and doing characters.

Seinfeld would mention how on the set there'd be "cut" called out and the other 3 instantly became other people. Jerry kept on being Jerry.

Jason channeled Woody Allen in the early episodes and later became more like Larry David, but nicer! Any characteristics Jason and George have in common are mostly coincidence.

(And don't forget the odd circumstances Seinfeld started dating his wife. Ewwww.)
Old 01-30-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
...Jerry Seinfeld dated a 17 year old[/URL] and could have cared less what people thought. Did any of that come out in their show characters?
So he did care on some level?

(sorry, pet peeve of mine)

mmm
Old 01-30-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Jerry Seinfeld dated a 17 year old and could have cared less what people thought.
You say that as if it were a bad thing....
Old 01-31-2017, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Seinfeld's wife Jessica met him several months before her wedding to Eric Nederlander, and then took up with him when she came back from her honeymoon! Nederlander filed for divorce four months after the wedding.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Seinfeld's wife Jessica met him several months before her wedding to Eric Nederlander, and then took up with him when she came back from her honeymoon! Nederlander filed for divorce four months after the wedding.
Women! Can't live with 'em.... Pass the Beer Nuts!
Old 02-13-2017, 09:24 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Bumped.

There's a new documentary about a notorious Broadway flop he was in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwqEdQykJU
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_W..._Have_Happened
Just saw it. Well worth a look, if you're a JA fan, a Sondheim/Prince fan, or just a fan of Broadway shows generally. JA talks a little about his early life, what a big deal it was to get on Broadway in his early 20s, and how his life has changed since Seinfeld.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:21 PM

George was so lame. Not sure who Seinfeld knew in the first place to keep his lame ass show alive; nonetheless, George would have been the first I'd cut from the show. I always assumed he was the same in real life, except now he thinks he's some big shot actor. And, to think idiots like Seinfeld breathed life into guys like Raymond whoever and Kevin James. Wow, what talent. However, Kramer deserved his own show.

Last edited by Jinx; 02-13-2017 at 05:24 PM..