The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 06-05-2012, 05:13 PM

Valar Hiatus: The Game of Thrones offseason thread

There will be spoilers in this thread by necessity. This is the place to post casting news, media appearances, awards (we hope) and general updates about the series.
Advertisements  
Old 06-05-2012, 05:16 PM

And now that my OP is up and there won't be any mouseover issues, an experienced stage actress has been cast to play Shireen Baratheon.

http://winteriscoming.net/2012/06/shireen-cast/
Old 06-05-2012, 05:20 PM

I thought Shireen was older -- mid to late teens, at least.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:31 PM

Valar Hiatus - all men must wait

The actress fits the age range I thought for Shireen. I was thinking pre- to early-teens.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:19 PM

Martin is working hard to stay ahead of the series.

I like how he admits he does not outline and often goes down blind alleys. I also want to see the book of maps and the Westeros history book. But he should concentrate on the books. I have forgotten-- are there two planned unwritten books?
Old 06-13-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
I have forgotten-- are there two planned unwritten books?
I think so. Winds of Winter and -- what -- something Spring or Summer?

From another board, a fan lamenting this past Sunday with no new episode: "Tonight is dull, and full of tedium."
Old 06-13-2012, 10:29 PM

The last book will be a dream of spring.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain Bead View Post
And now that my OP is up and there won't be any mouseover issues, an experienced stage actress has been cast to play Shireen Baratheon.

http://winteriscoming.net/2012/06/shireen-cast/
I just assumed they'd written her out since they didn't use her (or her fool) this season.

Next season should be a pretty straightforward following of Storm of Swords, but have the producers said how they're going to handle seasons four and five yet? I think we can be sure there's no way they're going to give Peter Dinklage a year off, so they'll probably put Crows and Dragons in chronological order, which I think would confuse even Martin, though to be honest that's how I wish it had been written.

Since they didn't off Tyrion's nose (which admittedly would probably be a pretty expensive effect, having to digitally alter every scene he's in and that's a lot of them) I wonder if they'll off Jaime's hand.

Last edited by Sampiro; 06-13-2012 at 10:41 PM..
Old 06-13-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
Since they didn't off Tyrion's nose (which admittedly would probably be a pretty expensive effect, having to digitally alter every scene he's in and that's a lot of them) I wonder if they'll off Jaime's hand.
I think they'll have to do something. If not amputation, then some kind of paralysis. They need that catalyst.

Wouldn't it be technically easier to lose a hand than mess up a face? His hands don't need to be in every shot.

As for combining Crows and Dragons, there's a website somewhere that lists the chapters of the two books in rough chronological order, for folks who'd prefer reading them that way. I don't know where it is though, I've only seen it referenced.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Shouldn't be too terribly hard. The time he spends without it in captivity will probably only be a couple episodes long, and after that they can just have him wear a solid gold glove in every scene after that.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:31 PM

Not so much a spoiler as an Easter Egg from season one....

Regarding one of the heads on a spike...
Old 06-14-2012, 01:55 AM

I love the fact that they just happened to have a severed Bush head lying around. Because really, who doesn't?
Old 06-14-2012, 02:11 AM

Ha ha. I wondered about that with the Dothraki guy who couldn't come back for season 2 so they killed him off but we only got to see the back of his severed head-- could they not show his face because of a contract issue or was it merely a severed head budget issue? Sounds like it was probably the latter.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Next season should be a pretty straightforward following of Storm of Swords, but have the producers said how they're going to handle seasons four and five yet?
Well, season 4 will be the second half of A Storm of Swords. That book will be covered in two seasons.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:09 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
I love the fact that they just happened to have a severed Bush head lying around. Because really, who doesn't?
I have a severed head of Franklin Pierce, but just haven't found a good use for it. Yet.

Looks like the Dubya head was the one next to the septa. But it'll be removed from the DVD: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...ef=mostpopular
Old 06-14-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I just assumed they'd written her out since they didn't use her (or her fool) this season.
Yea, I suspect her inclusion in the cast suggests she'll be a bigger character in the future books (since she's basically been a non-entity so far). Which makes sense, her spouse would technically be the heir to the throne, so assuming Stannis is still a going concern in the next book, she'd be politically important.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
I have a severed head of Franklin Pierce, but just haven't found a good use for it. Yet.

Looks like the Dubya head was the one next to the septa. But it'll be removed from the DVD: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...ef=mostpopular
Looks like it's starting to become a shitstorm. HBO and the producers are apologizing all over the place, and apparently some Republicans are bitching about it.

Put me down as a conservative that doesn't particularly care. It's a prop that happens to look like Bush. It represents a fictional character, not the former President. Possibly poor judgment, but not a big deal.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:08 AM

I was happy to read at EW that Meera and Jojen Reed are going to be a part of Season 3.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster
Put me down as a conservative that doesn't particularly care. It's a prop that happens to look like Bush. It represents a fictional character, not the former President. Possibly poor judgment, but not a big deal.
Definitely poor judgment. I can't stand Dubya but consider it to be in poor taste, and if they'd used Obama's head the liberals would be screaming bloody murder. Really stupid of them to admit to using it even once they did.
-------------

I wonder if they've cast Olenna (Margaery's grandmother) yet. I pictured Shirley MacLaine when I read the book.

They have to do one disastrous wedding or the other next season; we can't wait two years to see both The Red Wedding and Joffrey Biting It enacted.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:26 PM
SDSAB

I could see either Shirley MacLaine or Maggie Smith as Olenna. Or maybe Louise Fletcher? She hasn't worked much since she played the two-faced Bajoran cleric on ST: DS9, I don't think.

Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 06-14-2012 at 03:26 PM..
Old 06-14-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Definitely poor judgment. I can't stand Dubya but consider it to be in poor taste, and if they'd used Obama's head the liberals would be screaming bloody murder. Really stupid of them to admit to using it even once they did.
-------------

I wonder if they've cast Olenna (Margaery's grandmother) yet. I pictured Shirley MacLaine when I read the book.

They have to do one disastrous wedding or the other next season; we can't wait two years to see both The Red Wedding and Joffrey Biting It enacted.
George is writing episode 9, which will be titled "Autumn Storms." Seems likely. Of the unsullied, I wonder what percentage have heard about that already.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:49 PM

Since they seem to be splitting books in half, I would think they'd put the two weddings in different seasons. Can you imagine if they ended season 3 with the Red Wedding?

My speculation is that they'll end next season with Lady Stoneheart's appearance and save Joffrey's wedding for the penultimate episode of the season after that. Another speculation: watching Dany running around free ungrateful slaves will be boring.

Last edited by Biggirl; 06-14-2012 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: "it"-- "if", what's one little letter?
Old 06-14-2012, 04:04 PM

It's better than watching her do absolutely nothing like most of this season and most of the seasons after that.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
It's better than watching her do absolutely nothing like most of this season and most of the seasons after that.
And even more preferable to reading about it. (I know many disagree, but the Dany parts of the books are the most torturous to endure.)
Old 06-14-2012, 04:16 PM

Jeez, I've read the book through once but I can't keep all these character straight. I'll be damned if I am going to slog through them again though.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRojelio View Post
Jeez, I've read the book through once but I can't keep all these character straight. I'll be damned if I am going to slog through them again though.
Looks like you need to play a round of The Game of Thrones board game.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:53 PM

Yeah, Dany has about two chapters worth of good stuff after Game of Thrones, and those are mostly not about her.

The actual Game of Thrones boardgame is pretty fun.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:16 AM

New members of the cast for season three introduce themselves. It's a YouTube video.

I recognized just one but I squeeeeeed at that one -- Diana Rigg as Lady Olenna Tyrell.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:28 PM

I've just finished a reread of "Storm of Swords," and with the idea of splitting it between two seasons in mind.... whoa, the script writers are going to have to really work at making next season satisfying. As in, minimizing the time spent on a lot of things, and either add or move stuff forward.

IMHO, that first 500 whatever pages -- almost half the book -- is DULL. Okay, there are a handful of exciting or interesting scenes: The battle between the Rangers and the Others, and Sam's killing one with an obsidian weapon. The duel between Dondarian (sp?) and the Hound. The Wildlings scaling the Wall. The Tyrian/Sansa wedding. Daneyris's buying the Unsullied/destroying that city. But each of those only takes up a dozen or so pages, and what else do we get? Hundreds of pages of various characters slogging around, or stewing mentally, or BOTH slogging and stewing.

Looking at the 'main' characters:

- Rob is mainly offscreen. He makes a few strategic decisions (to be carried out off screen) and canoodles with his new wife.

- Catelyn mainly sits and stews: Over her dying father. Over whether Brienne will be able to get Jaime down to King's Landing and traded for ... who? Arya, I guess. She learns Sansa is married, so she doesn't expect to get her back. Over the aftermath of Rob's breaking his vow to marry a Frey girl.

- Stannis just grumps and stews on Dragonstone.

- Joffrey is utterly off screen.

- So is Cersei, basically.

- Jamie and Brienne slog down through the country, squabbling in a way that gets really tiresome. (Jaime: Yadda yadda yadds, wench. Brienne: My name is Brienne! Jaime: Yadda yadda yadds, wench. Brienne: My name is Brienne! and on and on.)

- Tyrian is recovering from his wounds, and being humiliated time after time by his father. Oh, yeah, and he gets married to

- Sansa, to her (utterly passive) displeasure and more humiliation for Tyrion, who seems to have fallen somewhat for her, though heaven knows why, since pretty much all Sansa does is stew over how bad her life is compared to what she'd dreamed of.

- Jon marches along with the Wildings from somewhere above the Wall to somewhere below the Wall, then escapes and trundles back north TO the Wall.

- Oh, and Sam and Gilly slog towards the Wall, seperately.

- Bran, Hodor and the Reed kids slowly trudge their way north towards the Wall, while Bran practices living in his wolf's mind.

- Arya slogs around. And around. She heads for Riverrun. She gets captured by one group and slogs south. She gets taken by a second group and slogs...some direction. She falls in with a third group and slogs... well, it doesn't matter. The point is, she doesn't do any of the exciting, clever, active things she did in earlier books. She slogs along, dirty and hungry, and stews. She occasionally threatens to kill people or wants to join in battles, but she is dismissed as a kid and shoved aside.

- Rickon headed off with Osha for ??? and basically vanishes from sight.

- Danyris, well, she's not my favorite character, but Martin actually advances her plot: she gets the Unsullied, and becomes the leader of a mob of freed slaves.

... And that's pretty much it. IOW, that a hell of a lot of slogging around for the reader to slog through.

Worse is that some of the favorite characters (like Tyrion and Arya) stop doing the things that made them favorites. Tyrion has few witty lines and his schemes just fail or don't even manage to get started, and Arya is shoved around by fate without really shoving back.

Of course THEN Jaime gets his hand chopped off, and the Red Wedding, and after that things move and move and move.

Somehow the writers are going to have to get the exciting stuff moved up, because while book readers hooked on a series WILL slog through a dull stretch, I don't think a tv audience is anywhere near as forgiving. Saying "next series will be a doozy" won't keep them tuning in.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:34 PM

I'm sure they'll distribute some of the Theon/Reek material over the next several seasons, since I don't think they want to put that actor on a two-year hiatus.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:19 AM

The character that plays Jojen, was he , Liam Neesons kid in love actually.

Declan
Old 07-19-2012, 05:41 AM

So I'm new to the whole Game of Thrones thing. I've watched all episodes from the first two seasons. Haven't read any of the books.

If I -wanted- to read the books, but without spoiling future seasons of the TV show...what's my best bet?
Old 07-19-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonAsh View Post
So I'm new to the whole Game of Thrones thing. I've watched all episodes from the first two seasons. Haven't read any of the books.

If I -wanted- to read the books, but without spoiling future seasons of the TV show...what's my best bet?
Read the first two books, then stop.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:36 AM

That's probably the first time I've heard ASOS called dull. More happens in the first half of that book than in Clash, and more in the second half (which you excluded, I know) than the rest of the series combined. I don't think the writers will have a single problem making the story lines interesting, contrasted with Dany in this past season.

I mean, the book starts out with a giant fucking army of zombies and undead bears attacking! You have the Hound chopping a guy nearly in half and a resurrection. You have people climbing an ice wall. Jaime and Brienne are some of the best chapters in the entire series! Dragon face melting!

I never got the impression that Tyrion fell for Sansa. Why did you think that?
Old 07-19-2012, 09:14 AM

"Fell for" is putting it strongly, but I think he did genuinely tried to do right by her as his wife. He definitely found her physically attractive and wanted to win her affections. He never fell for her the way he did for Shae though.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelNutCoffee View Post
"Fell for" is putting it strongly, but I think he did genuinely tried to do right by her as his wife. He definitely found her physically attractive and wanted to win her affections. He never fell for her the way he did for Shae though.
If falling for someone is finding them attractive and wanting to do right by them, then I've fallen in love on the majority of first dates I've ever had. I don't think that's a tenable position.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:34 AM

Oh, man...Diana Rigg as Olenna Tyrell! Not only can she poison her idiotic grandson-in-law, she can deliver a roundhouse kick that will pop the head right off a goldcloak's neck!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:36 AM

And I don't think Tyrion "fell for" Sansa so much as felt sorry for her. He was pretty much the only person besides her relatives who cared what she wanted or felt.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:52 PM

Several Emmy nominations again, most notable being Peter Dinklage again for Best Supporting Actor, and Outstanding Drama Series.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntiePam View Post
I thought Shireen was older -- mid to late teens, at least.
No, I think they describe her early on as being Bran's age. This wiki for GoT says she's nine.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain Bead View Post
Several Emmy nominations again, most notable being Peter Dinklage again for Best Supporting Actor, and Outstanding Drama Series.
How is he "supporting"? He's the main character, dammit. I guess it's because he's "supporting" every other damn character. Dammit.

Does that show not have a "leading" actor? Will all their actor nominations be Supporting?

I think Alfie Allen (Theon) should have been nominated supporting, with Peter as leading. Dammit.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:51 PM

Looks like we probably have a Ramsay Snow.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntiePam View Post
How is he "supporting"? He's the main character, dammit. I guess it's because he's "supporting" every other damn character. Dammit.

Does that show not have a "leading" actor? Will all their actor nominations be Supporting?

I think Alfie Allen (Theon) should have been nominated supporting, with Peter as leading. Dammit.
IIRC, in season 1 he got last billing as either "and" or "with." You know, Andy Rooney territory. It moved up towards the top in S2. But like academic papers, sometimes being last is the best place.

Yeah this show is just a bunch of supporting actors. Dinklage does deserve it in a sense, but he also gets access to the best lines. Him and Bronn.

ETA: Do we not see Stannis wife at all in S2? I could've sworn she (or some woman not Melissandre) was standing next to him like they were together in one of the first episodes.

Last edited by thelurkinghorror; 07-21-2012 at 12:48 AM..
Old 07-21-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
ETA: Do we not see Stannis wife at all in S2? I could've sworn she (or some woman not Melissandre) was standing next to him like they were together in one of the first episodes.
Yes when they were burning the old gods on the beach his wife stood beside him.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:50 PM

Thanks. I decided to look it up, and looks like they switched actresses, something not without precedence. The "new characters for S3" press probably just didn't do their research.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
Thanks. I decided to look it up, and looks like they switched actresses, something not without precedence. The "new characters for S3" press probably just didn't do their research.
Beric was in season 1 as well. Both characters were just place holders at the time though. I think they call them "featured extras." It's not a recasting like Gregor. I'd love the original Gregor back for future seasons though the current guy is too skinny.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:36 PM

Which reminds me, what are they doing about Ser Barristan? Is Ian McElhinney coming back? Are they getting someone else to play him, or are they leaving the character out of the rest of the show?
Old 07-21-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogle View Post
Which reminds me, what are they doing about Ser Barristan? Is Ian McElhinney coming back? Are they getting someone else to play him, or are they leaving the character out of the rest of the show?
They haven't announced all casting, and since he's not new casting, I bet he's not announced. It'll make his reveal as much of a surprise as possible.

I wonder if he's been growing a beard.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogle View Post
It's been confirmed that McElhinney is returning.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:15 PM

I got a kick out of today's Book of Biff webcomic:

A Song of Ice and Fire and Autocorrect