The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 03-01-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Sure, I'll buy "pretty darned good" no problem, but still, the role doesn't have the ummph for HBO to risk trying for Best Actor.
He doesn't have the story lines to compete with Bryan Cranston or Damian Lewis, who both have an entire show devoted to their characters.

Tyrion had some good stories in season two, but the entire series is not devoted to him. He is always a just a piece of the puzzle, and it's not his fault. It's a natural result of the story he's in.

His best story, IMO, will come in season four. If they devote most of that season to him then I could see him winning best actor.
Advertisements  
Old 03-01-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
SPOILER:
Freeing the slaves in Astapor. The slaves call her Mysha.

I think we'll see the following scenes:

SPOILER:
Mormont being killed in ep. 4, Ygritte/Jon and the Beric vs Hound fight in ep 5, Jaime rescuing Brienne from the bear pit in ep. 7, and the Red Wedding in ep. 9. I think it's possible we'll see unCat in ep. 10, since she's a mother too, but I hope not.
Why do you hope not? I think that'll be the perfect cliffhanger.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Why do you hope not? I think that'll be the perfect cliffhanger.
I don't think there's enough time for the impact to be that big. RW would be the episode before, in the books (I know I know) there's like 30 chapters in between. I have the same thought about the PW, but I'm not worried about that.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:43 PM

I can't think of a better end of season scene than UnCat raising her finger and pointing at a Frey, i will be very surprised if it does not end there.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
I can't think of a better end of season scene than UnCat raising her finger and pointing at a Frey, i will be very surprised if it does not end there.
Right, but Storm of Swords will be split up over TV season 3 and 4, so the assumption is that that scene will be the end of season 4.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:28 PM

The end of Season 4 has to be Tywin getting gutshot.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:15 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

Watching it now on disc for the first time. I do think it's nice that the demands of screen time means that we don't have to get as much pointless repetition as the books. Guess I'll see season three about this time in 2014.

Anyway, something I noticed in the episode blurbs on the discs. Try reading some of them (especially the ones that are only about four words long) as Jeremy Clarkson introducing an episode of Top Gear.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post
Watching it now on disc for the first time. I do think it's nice that the demands of screen time means that we don't have to get as much pointless repetition as the books. Guess I'll see season three about this time in 2014.

Anyway, something I noticed in the episode blurbs on the discs. Try reading some of them (especially the ones that are only about four words long) as Jeremy Clarkson introducing an episode of Top Gear.
We just got the discs for season 2 from Netflix. I will definitely do this.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain Bead View Post
The end of Season 4 has to be Tywin getting gutshot.
Probably. Season 4 should have a large amount of AFFC and ADWD material in it, but I can't think of another good stopping point that's roughly the right time.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagundathar View Post
I rarely argue when I come here as doing so is usually puerile, but I have issue with the statement, "Peter [Dinklage] is pretty good..." He owns every scene he is in. His character is arguably the most complex and interesting of the dozens to choose from in Mr. Martin's panoramic epic. The casting for this series has been outstanding, but the choice of Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister was truly inspired.

"Pretty good?"
I'll see your 'pretty good' and raise you a 'pretty darned good'.
So there.
Hope I wasn't too harsh in my rhetoric.
According to the producers' commentary on the series 1 DVD set they had 2 absolute must-haves for the cast, Peter Dinklage and Sean Bean.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPWombat View Post
According to the producers' commentary on the series 1 DVD set they had 2 absolute must-haves for the cast, Peter Dinklage and Sean Bean.
Well, someone had to be Ned and who better to play someone who's going to die?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:34 PM

Here's a slightly longer trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1pbtBX9Kok

Also, are we doing un-boxed spoilers in this thread? I thought non-book readers were in here, too. A few big plot points given away the last few posts.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouv View Post
Here's a slightly longer trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1pbtBX9Kok

Also, are we doing un-boxed spoilers in this thread? I thought non-book readers were in here, too. A few big plot points given away the last few posts.
OP says there are spoilers.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:26 PM

Non book readers wouldn't want to know about the next season either.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Non-book reader who just binged through the first two seasons - I have a question: is it more clear in the books why Dog walks away from the battle and his role protecting Joffrey? I didn't see a specific event, and it appeared that Dog was already well aware of what a twisted person Joffrey is. I wasn't particularly surprised by his walking away in apparent disgust, but am wondering what triggered it.

As a newbie, I found the first two seasons really good. Looking forward to season 3. They do a good job keeping the characters' stories moving and coordinated, even though the stories are quite fragmented at this point. And the magical parts are good - they are a factor, but don't dominate.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Non-book reader who just binged through the first two seasons - I have a question: is it more clear in the books why Dog walks away from the battle and his role protecting Joffrey? I didn't see a specific event, and it appeared that Dog was already well aware of what a twisted person Joffrey is. I wasn't particularly surprised by his walking away in apparent disgust, but am wondering what triggered it.
The fire. All that gods-damned fire.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
The fire. All that gods-damned fire.
Because he was traumatized by what happened to him as a boy with his brother? Okay, got it - but it didn't seem like he was fleeing in traumatic fear - just disgusted.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:47 AM

the scars on his face are burns from an injury inflicted by his brother when he was young, hence his fear of fire. i too felt that the fear wasn't translated well onscreen, perhaps it should have been lampshaded earlier. it was clear in the books though.

Last edited by shijinn; 03-04-2013 at 06:50 AM..
Old 03-04-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Because he was traumatized by what happened to him as a boy with his brother? Okay, got it - but it didn't seem like he was fleeing in traumatic fear - just disgusted.
It just didn't translate as well to the screen how much fire there was supposed to be during the battle. The Hound led several sorties outside, lost a lot of men and looked like he actually took some burns. It finally came to a point were he just said "fuck this, can't go out there anymore" and bailed.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
It just didn't translate as well to the screen how much fire there was supposed to be during the battle. The Hound led several sorties outside, lost a lot of men and looked like he actually took some burns. It finally came to a point were he just said "fuck this, can't go out there anymore" and bailed.
He done got "shocked and awed"
Old 03-04-2013, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the 'Mysha' explanaiton Snarky Kong, if done right that'll be one of the great set piece scenes in the whole series.

Last edited by lisiate; 03-04-2013 at 03:07 PM..
Old 03-04-2013, 03:31 PM

I had to put the book down for a week after the Red Wedding. I don't know if I can take watching it on screen. And thank goodness I didn't witness it on the TV first. I think I could have just. . . burst.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisiate View Post
Thanks for the 'Mysha' explanaiton Snarky Kong, if done right that'll be one of the great set piece scenes in the whole series.
There's a glimpse of it in the Season 3 trailer that was released.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:58 PM

Just checked it, sadly it looked like there's only a few dozen rather than the several thousand I was hoping for. Damn financial constraints...
Old 03-04-2013, 04:22 PM

There are so many things I'm looking forward to seeing in living color. I kind of suck at making pictures in my head, so seeing this all come to life will be a delight.

Except please god, don't let them include the nipple-carving scene with the Unsullied. *Shudder* (Though, knowing the show's twin loves of gore and boobs, it seems inevitable.)

I can't wait to see my husband's reaction to the Red Wedding!
Old 03-04-2013, 04:25 PM

Yeah that's totally going to be in there - remember Khal Drogo biting that guys throat out back in season one?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:04 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisiate View Post
Just checked it, sadly it looked like there's only a few dozen rather than the several thousand I was hoping for. Damn financial constraints...
Few dozen what?
Old 03-04-2013, 10:55 PM

Unsullied.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:37 AM

If anyone would like to watch the whole series, one episode per night, finishing up in time for the season premiere, today is the day to start!

Especially now that I know about the theories re: Jon's mother and suchlike, it's fun to go back and watch for details that sailed over my head the first time.

Oh, and how are the DVD extras? Is it worth buying the discs when I can just watch on HBO Go?

Last edited by Unauthorized Cinnamon; 03-11-2013 at 10:38 AM..
Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unauthorized Cinnamon View Post
Oh, and how are the DVD extras? Is it worth buying the discs when I can just watch on HBO Go?
The DVD/Blu-Ray (No idea how much is in both, I have Blu-Ray) extras are really good. They give a LOT of history of Westeros to fill in the gaps that are easy for TV-only watchers to miss, and to help refresh the memory of book readers. And they are all narrated by several of the actors as their characters. I remember Season 1 had a couple histories done by Donald Sumpter (Maester Luwin,) and Season 2 has Natalie Dormer (Margaery Tyrell,) Nonso Anozie (Xaro Xhoan Daxos,) and Rose Leslie (Tgritte,) among others.

And here's a mildly amusing Game of Thrones parody:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY6dvlMfntw

Could be better, but I laughed a few times. Though Jon and Dany hooking up makes no sense...shouldn't she be in some other school?
Old 03-12-2013, 03:53 PM

The commentaries are really good too, especially the ones with the kids.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
The commentaries are really good too, especially the ones with the kids.
Really? They were horrible the first season, I had to turn them off. How's Lena Headey? She was hilarious on her season 1 commentary.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

So, then maybe this year is will be a TV show rather than a radio drama?

I mean, so much of it was in the dark it might as well have been on radio.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
I can't wait to see my husband's reaction to the Red Wedding!
It's been really difficult to keep my mouth shut. When Robb married whatsherface I shouted "Don't do it Robb!" and my boyfriend was all oh why not they're in love. And then I had to gnaw on my fist to keep myself from shouting TERRIBLE THINGS WILL HAPPEN!!!

Book Three is FULL of so many awesome scenes. I cannot wait to see them on the show.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:57 AM
Charter Member

I just listened to the commentary track on episode 10 with the Director and Emilia Clarke, and Emilia says that a scene where Doreah explains why she betrayed Dany never made the final cut. She does NOT however, say what the explanation was, and the only deleted scene I can find is just one where she strangles Irri.

Anyone have any more info on this?
Old 03-13-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelNutCoffee View Post
It's been really difficult to keep my mouth shut. When Robb married whatsherface I shouted "Don't do it Robb!" and my boyfriend was all oh why not they're in love. And then I had to gnaw on my fist to keep myself from shouting TERRIBLE THINGS WILL HAPPEN!!!
For what it's worth, I saw it when I hadn't been spoiled, and I thought it was colossally dumb and dangerous, just from what I knew from the TV show!
Quote:
Book Three is FULL of so many awesome scenes. I cannot wait to see them on the show.
Oh yeah. Though I bet we're going to have to wait for next season to see my favorite, Pieter at the window with Lysa.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:12 PM
SDSAB

I was just watching the HBO series John Adams on DVD, and the guy who plays Thomas Jefferson was quite talented and looked really familiar. I checked on IMDb.com and... it's Stephen Dillane, who also plays Stannis:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj...rw84o1_500.png
http://criticaltable.com/wp-content/...03/stannis.png
Old 03-13-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
I was just watching the HBO series John Adams on DVD, and the guy who plays Thomas Jefferson was quite talented and looked really familiar. I checked on IMDb.com and... it's Stephen Dillane, who also plays Stannis:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj...rw84o1_500.png
http://criticaltable.com/wp-content/...03/stannis.png
Both fathered some dark bastards too.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:52 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
Both fathered some dark bastards too.
Zing!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah. Though I bet we're going to have to wait for next season to see my favorite, Pieter at the window with Lysa.
Oh, for sure. Isn't that almost at the end of SoS, too?

It will be a great last scene of an episode of season 4, though.

SPOILER:
No...only Cat.

*push*

Perfect callback to the ending of the first episode.

Edit: Game of Thrones if it were made in 1995:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fPgIIB67bw

Last edited by bouv; 03-15-2013 at 09:25 AM..
Old 03-15-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Nice! Very Xena/Hercules.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Oh, for sure. Isn't that almost at the end of SoS, too?

It will be a great last scene of an episode of season 4, though.

SPOILER:
No...only Cat.

*push*

Perfect callback to the ending of the first episode.

It's the last chapter in ASOS. I'm not sure if it'll be the last episode though. I'm under the impression that Season 4 will include material from AFFC and ADWD which would put that more toward the middle of the season. I can't really think of anything dramatic from the last two books that they could get to in that short of a time period though.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:10 PM

I'm pretty sure they're going to remix the timeline a bit, running Dany's adventures in 4&5 alongside some Westeros stuff from Book 3. No one wants to watch two and a half seasons of her sitting around fretting about ruling people who don't trust her and how to end slavery. It was dead boring in the books - there's no way the casual HBO audience will stand for it.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they're going to remix the timeline a bit, running Dany's adventures in 4&5 alongside some Westeros stuff from Book 3. No one wants to watch two and a half seasons of her sitting around fretting about ruling people who don't trust her and how to end slavery. It was dead boring in the books - there's no way the casual HBO audience will stand for it.
I sure hope so. I recall someone here referring to those book sections as her trying to be "Princess Perfect Justice," and I thought that was apt.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:24 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
...Edit: Game of Thrones if it were made in 1995:
Nothing says "quasi-medieval epic" like a power ballad!
Old 03-16-2013, 12:54 PM

New teaser. Based on the first shot, there seem to be more than a few dozen Unsullied. A lot more.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:00 PM

That flaming sword...
Old 03-16-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
New teaser. Based on the first shot, there seem to be more than a few dozen Unsullied. A lot more.
Based on the voice over, it looks like we might get one of my favorite Stannis scenes. Where he curses his rival kings with the leeches full of king's blood thrown into the fire.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:

That was just perfect.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Yes, and there will be wholly new characters and scenes. The books are going to be less and less applicable for 'looking ahead,' relative to the show. All to the good.