Old 03-16-2013, 02:58 PM

Along those lines, I'm hoping Talisa Maegyr continues to diverge from Jeyne Westerling, and does not just play the role that book readers are expecting in different 'clothes.'
Old 03-16-2013, 03:56 PM

She's already played the entire role that Jeyne Westerling played. Unless you subscribe to the theory that Robb knocked her up and the Blackfish smuggled her out of Riverrun.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:13 PM

I'm saying, I like the character of Talisa more than that of Jeyne. Therefore I hope that Talisa's story is not limited by the role Jeyne played.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:09 PM

Unlike Jeyne, Talisa knows exactly what she's doing.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelNutCoffee View Post
"Fell for" is putting it strongly, but I think he did genuinely tried to do right by her as his wife. He definitely found her physically attractive and wanted to win her affections. He never fell for her the way he did for Shae though.
I always got the impression Tyrion really is drawn to strong honest women. Sansa would not be the type to take him to bed other than out of duty and that didn't really appeal to him, but he admired her at least for adapting and surviving the shitstorm of psychodrama hell that is Joff/Cersei and co. and still retaining who she is, to a degree.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain Bead View Post
The end of Season 4 has to be Tywin getting gutshot.
you mean shit shot
Old 03-17-2013, 04:29 PM

New Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfSXhMzWoA4
Old 03-17-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
New teaser. Based on the first shot, there seem to be more than a few dozen Unsullied. A lot more.
Yep, I'm much happier now.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:55 AM

New NEW trailer!

Looks like Sansa's wedding, Brienne v. Jamie, Jamie and Brienne (in a dress) v. Bear, the making of Reek, Beric v. Hound, and a whole lot of awesome.

Questions: is that Melisandre visiting Beric & Co. under the hill? Who's the chick getting unlaced? Maybe Missandei. Finally, do you think they did tests of Daario all made up in colors and were like, "Uh, no."
Old 03-18-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unauthorized Cinnamon View Post
the making of Reek,
I'm curious to see what they do here, since the vast majority of this happens "off-screen" in the books. I understand why they put it in, since having a sort-of main character be absent for a season or two is pretty unusual.

Edit: Oh, the main reason I came in here. Very brief synopsis of the first few episodes:

http://winteriscoming.net/2013/03/sy...ed/#more-23754

Last edited by bouv; 03-18-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:32 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
New NEW trailer!...
Thanks! Who was Stannis talking to - or stabbing - on the beach?
Old 03-19-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Thanks! Who was Stannis talking to - or stabbing - on the beach?
I don't think he was stabbing her, just grabbing her and pulling her close.

My only guess is his wife? It certainly didn't look like Mel.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:29 PM

I'm doing a rewatch to prep for S3 and I love it even more. And hate so many of the characters even more. I just want to punch that sister-humper Theon every time I see his smug face. Every time I rewatch, I notice something new, wonder if some throwaway line might be more significant in the next two books but we don't know it yet.

I'm noticing how good Dany is, the actress, I mean. She sometimes makes an expression that looks like Viserys. Subtle, and not just the hair and coloring. Little details like that make rewatching totally worth it.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:53 PM

This is a spoilery thread if you haven't read the books BTW.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:33 PM

It's Melisandre with Stannis on the beach. See second 26 from this trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfSXhMzWoA4.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:26 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
It's Melisandre with Stannis on the beach. See second 26 from this trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfSXhMzWoA4.
She looks different. Has the role been recast? Or is that Stannis's wife and queen?
Old 03-20-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
She looks different. Has the role been recast? Or is that Stannis's wife and queen?
Her hair has been dyed dark for some reason. Fine by me. She looked like she belonged on a Clairol box last season.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:39 PM

It was appropriate though.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:49 PM

New trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=6pR1kjJBE_s

0:09...
Old 03-21-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
What is that, at 09? Looks like Talisa, John and Cat standing together, but I can't imagine what that is about.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taomist View Post
What is that, at 09? Looks like Talisa, John and Cat standing together, but I can't imagine what that is about.
I'm guessing Red Wedding. Jeyne Westerling wasn't there in the books, but since Talisa isn't actually Jeyne, Jeyne's connection to the Westerlings and Lannisters wouldn't be in place to warn her.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
I'm guessing Red Wedding. Jeyne Westerling wasn't there in the books, but since Talisa isn't actually Jeyne, Jeyne's connection to the Westerlings and Lannisters wouldn't be in place to warn her.
Your assuming Talisa is who she says she is. My theory is that she's been Tywin's agent from the start - a composite of Jeyne and Jeyne's mother.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:50 PM

You can see wyman manderly and roose bolton behind them. RW.

I think talisa is legit, oona Chaplin talks about hiw in love they are in all her interviews and Robb made the first move so her being a lannister agent would be lucky.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:36 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Very cool. Is that the Great Sept of Baelor at 0:16?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post
I'm doing a rewatch to prep for S3 and I love it even more. And hate so many of the characters even more. I just want to punch that sister-humper Theon every time I see his smug face. Every time I rewatch, I notice something new, wonder if some throwaway line might be more significant in the next two books but we don't know it yet.

I'm noticing how good Dany is, the actress, I mean. She sometimes makes an expression that looks like Viserys. Subtle, and not just the hair and coloring. Little details like that make rewatching totally worth it.
Having read the books (and internet theorizing about genealogies), Robert's conversations with Ned in Ep1 are veeeery interesting. Especially in the crypt - Sean Bean does a great job with his body language.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:59 AM

Good new trailer...loved the burning sword at the end.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Having read the books (and internet theorizing about genealogies), Robert's conversations with Ned in Ep1 are veeeery interesting. Especially in the crypt - Sean Bean does a great job with his body language.
Yeah, I'm re-reading the books for the second time (saw Season 1, read books, saw Season 2 in that order), and the Ned/Robert conversations are a LOT more interesting this time around than they were when I read them / watched them the first time around.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
You can see wyman manderly and roose bolton behind them. RW.
Oh man, Roose...fuck that guy. I really hope that at some point, somehow, he gets what's coming to him.

The North Remembers, and so do I.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I just read something about that today that I totally missed.

MAJOR BOOK 3-5 SPOILERS:

SPOILER:
That the three people Robert addresses by name when first arriving at Winterfell are all dead: Ned, Cat, Robb. He asked for Arya's name, and she is becoming faceless, and said something about how how strong the soon-to-be cripple Bran was. He talked about how pretty Sansa is, when she'll soon be beaten up at court, and also nearly raped, and will have to disguise herself after her escape.

So many layers in this show.

I came across this guy's video blog about watching the series. Very, very NSFW language. It's hilarious to watch because it wasn't probably far from my thought process when I first watched. I cried laughing at his S1E9 review. Tears streaming down my face. Usually he goes on for 20+ minutes, detailing his thoughts, talking about plot, but that was basically 12 minutes of him saying "Fuck that shit."

Last edited by Fair Rarity; 03-22-2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-23-2013, 07:10 AM

He also video recorded his immediate reaction to S1E9. I just posted it in the thread about when your favorite TV character dies.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain Bead View Post
He also video recorded his immediate reaction to S1E9. I just posted it in the thread about when your favorite TV character dies.
Is he the "They killed my n***** Ned!" guy?

I think I read he stopped doing those videos after pieces of shit spoiled stuff like the Red Wedding in his comments.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouv View Post
Is he the "They killed my n***** Ned!" guy?

I think I read he stopped doing those videos after pieces of shit spoiled stuff like the Red Wedding in his comments.
This is one of the things that is keeping my excitement not quite at ridiculous levels. Part of the reason I recommend this series is the shocks. I loved seeing and reading reactions to Ned dying, but I think most people will have been spoiled or will have read the books by the time episode 9 rolls around. Although, out of the 11 million viewers or whatever there are bound to be a few videos of people losing their shit.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I loved seeing and reading reactions to Ned dying, but I think most people will have been spoiled or will have read the books by the time episode 9 rolls around.
I don't know why you would assume that. I watched seasons 1 and 2 but I've never read the books. I would appreciate some consideration of that, especially in a thread about the TV program.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
I don't know why you would assume that. I watched seasons 1 and 2 but I've never read the books. I would appreciate some consideration of that, especially in a thread about the TV program.
I'm a spoiler-phobe myself, so I appreciate the sentiment, but the OP specifically said "There will be spoilers in this thread by necessity." Expecting this to be a TV-only spoiler-free zone is a mistake.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Because lots of people were spoiled for season 1, there has been lots of time for reading and spoiling since then and the comments for every youtube video contain major spoilers.

I'm not really going to censor myself as far as spoilers go in an open spoiler thread. I'm not going to deliberately spoil, but reader beware I guess.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:07 PM

Most of the people here were not spoiled. Most were smart enough to stay out of the spoiler threads.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:15 AM
SDSAB

Here's USA Today on GOT's broad pop-cultural reach (story's below the photo gallery): http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...son-3/2018491/
Old 03-30-2013, 05:20 AM

This is probably old news to fans, but on the off chance there's anything new or interesting here. It's short article that talks about possible scientific explanations for the variability of the seasons. A few ideas are presented and shot down. This seems to be the only one to survive scrutiny.
Quote:
Seasons are also dependent upon the kind of planetary system the exoplanet finds itself in, Laughlin said.

"One situation that will lead to wildly variable seasons over long periods of time is if the planet in question is a member of a strongly interacting multiple planet system," Laughlin said, describing how a planet's orbit could be pulled out of whack by another planet.

These changes would also happen over the course of thousands or millions of years, Laughlin added. But this also might be a good explanation for the seasonal issues on the "Game of Thrones."

The books and TV show make mention of a second moon that disintegrated when it flew too close to its sun. Of course, in the book's lore that moon was actually an egg full of dragons … so maybe it would be best not to apply too much real science to this kind of fiction.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:27 AM

With the premiere tomorrow night, does someone want to make an official "Game of Thrones Season 3 Spoiler Thread?" I see someone already made the spoiler free weekly thread. I just want to avoid situations we had last year and season one where people made thread willy-nilly, resulting in shit like a season long spoiler free thread, weekly spoiler free, weekly spoiler, season long spoiler, and then random threads for no reason.

Let's keep it clean and organized, people!

If no one else wants to make it, I guess will.

If I remember last year correctly, the best thing to do, since there are more TV only viewers than book+TV, is have one, season-long spoiler thread, and have the weekly thread be spoiler free.

By that I mean both free of any future book spoilers, and any future TV spoilers. Book discussion about changes made should also be keep free, since we've seen before that sometimes they make a change, but incorporate the "original" book plot-line/character in a similar enough fashion that telling someone XYZ was different in the book because of ABC would be a potential spoiler.

Last edited by bouv; 03-30-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:01 PM

Red Viper cast!

Not 100% sure of the look, and I haven't seen him before, but the casting has been 95% fantastic.

You raped her, you murdered her, you killed her children!
Old 06-28-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Not 100% sure of the look, and I haven't seen him before, but the casting has been 95% fantastic.
I'm curious who you put in that 5%. I can only say that the new Mountain wasn't as good as the old Mountain, but other than that I think I've loved every casting decision.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:40 PM

Shae. Jon Snow has been fairly weak, but he's mostly an internal character and really only weak compared to the rest of the cast. If Kit Harrington was on most other shows he would't stand out. Littlefinger's gravely voice sounds comical to me too.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:25 PM

Shae is basically a different character from book Shae though so you can argue her casting is not actually bad.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Littlefinger's gravely voice sounds comical to me too.
I agree, and it's puzzling, because he sounds quite different than he did in The Wire.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Shae is basically a different character from book Shae though so you can argue her casting is not actually bad.
It's not that I don't think she fits the role, it's that I think she's a bad actor.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
It's not that I don't think she fits the role, it's that I think she's a bad actor.
She was fine in her pornographic roles.

Dumb: when did we see new Mountain?
Old 06-29-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
She was fine in her pornographic roles.

Dumb: when did we see new Mountain?
At harrenhall in season 2.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Red Viper cast!

You raped her, you murdered her, you killed her children!

I wonder how many episodes it will take next season for the main events in King's Landing to unfold (how to say it without spoiling too much...I mean until most of the characters present there have changed trajectories). The whole season, maybe?

Anyway, I hope we'll see a bit of the Red Viper (You raped her! You killed her!) before his arc story reaches its climax. King's Landing scene were well done last season, and the show producers have proved to be imaginative in depicting their characters. Even though I'm not sure such a thing happens in the book, a scene with the Queen of Thorns, the Red Viper and Tywin Lannister could be memorable.

I noted that they had Jaime coming back to the capital earlier than in the books, so he will be present during most of the events (of course, otherwise, he would have roamed around pointlessly for most of the season, like Bran did last time) and I wonder how they'll make him react. Also, what will they do with Brienne (who would also have roamed around pointlessly) at King's Landing? In particular, she should meet Sansa there. I expect to see Tywin's brother be fleshed out too.

There's potential for a lot of interesting character interactions.

ETA : Oh! And the trial scenes should be something to watch

Last edited by clairobscur; 07-01-2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoron View Post
I'm curious who you put in that 5%. I can only say that the new Mountain wasn't as good as the old Mountain, but other than that I think I've loved every casting decision.
We hardly ever saw the Mountain, anyway. Which is a shame, really. You can't properly hate someone who never appears and never does anything, despite him probably being the most heinous character in the books (well...there's competition for this..one of the most heinous, anyway).
Old 07-01-2013, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur View Post
ETA : Oh! And the trial scenes should be something to watch
My guess is that the... closing arguments stage of the trial will take place in Episode 9, which always seems to be the big dramatic episode of the season.