Old 07-01-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur View Post
We hardly ever saw the Mountain, anyway. Which is a shame, really. You can't properly hate someone who never appears and never does anything, despite him probably being the most heinous character in the books (well...there's competition for this..one of the most heinous, anyway).
There's a whole bracket for that competition. But I actually like the way they've handled him in the show aside from the recasting. He's like this shadowy scary menace running around killing and pillaging. His presence is felt far more than he's seen. He's like a bogeyman. (I don't think he was seen much in the books anyway. He rarely directly contacts the POV characters)
Advertisements  
Old 07-22-2013, 11:15 PM
SDSAB

A little GOT news from Comic-Con: http://us.cnn.com/2013/07/19/showbiz...iref=obnetwork
Old 10-03-2013, 05:27 PM
SDSAB

Peter Dinklage hula-hoops at a gay bar in Canada.

Yes, I actually just wrote that: http://dlisted.com/2013/08/22/oh-its...bar-in-canada/
Old 10-03-2013, 05:58 PM

A light-up, rainbow hula hoop? A light-up, rainbow hula hoop? Around Peter Dinklage's hips?

Excuse me, I need to find my list of life goals so I can tear it up and rewrite it.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:11 PM

Some casting news for season 4. A little spoilery. Seems the show is going in a more not-book direction every season.

Is it always run in the summer? I coulda sworn I was watching for my birthday. I must be misremembering.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:40 PM

Seasons 1-3 started in ~April, ended in June.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:36 PM
SDSAB

Admit it - you need a Stark Direwolf Winter Lager T-shirt: http://store.mentalfloss.com/Mental-...#axzz2kZ1AxZ8j
Old 12-02-2013, 10:17 PM
SDSAB

Was just on the campus of Oberlin College in NE Ohio this evening. On one of the big rocks on Tappan Square, which students are encouraged to paint with seasonal art and slogans, was painted "WINTER IS COMING" and the head of a direwolf.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:33 PM
SDSAB

GOT is the most pirated show. Uh... woohoo?!: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...ent&ref=topbar
Old 01-12-2014, 08:36 PM

New trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZY43QSx3Fk
Old 01-12-2014, 08:41 PM

Had to laugh when the "king" says he won the war and saved the city. By hiding behind mom's skirt? I think the best scene last year was when his grandad sent him to bed with no dinner.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Had to laugh when the "king" says he won the war and saved the city. By hiding behind mom's skirt? I think the best scene last year was when his grandad sent him to bed with no dinner.
Jaime's expression is priceless.

Best scene in S1 (?) was of course the bitchslap. Just about anything involving that little shit not getting what he wants.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:44 AM

Was just watching S3 again.

My main concern going forwards is: Will I ever be able to take lord baelish seriously?

I mean, his trajectory is clearly moving towards becoming one of the main bad boys of Westeros (I haven't read the books, so I'm just guessing that), yet he wears a dress, speaks in whispers and I'm not confident he could even take jojen reed in a fistfight.

Of course...you could say that's what makes him so sinister...no-one sees how much of a threat he is (apart from the spider). But from the viewers' POV, I'd be enjoying this a lot more if there was something a bit more vicious about him.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:10 AM

wasn't it him who sliced a baby's throat in the whorehouse? or was it someone else?
Old 01-26-2014, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijinn View Post
wasn't it him who sliced a baby's throat in the whorehouse? or was it someone else?
Someone else. Though he didn't give a toss about it.

But his actions have already been evil enough. I'm just saying the character is not imposing enough for me, and I hope he mans up a bit for S04.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:54 AM

Varys is a hairless, effete, dickless wonder. And that's probably intentional; he wants to seem weaker than he is.

And IIRC Baelish wears more of a cassock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
Janos Slynt.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:04 AM

Quote:

But his actions have already been evil enough. I'm just saying the character is not imposing enough for me, and I hope he mans up a bit for S04.
ah i see. i like it though, it's somehow doubly wicked to operate out of a harmless, friendly facade. there are plenty of other imposing big bads in Westeros. "But he's such a friendly, nice guy! I borrow sugar from him."
Old 01-26-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
Varys is a hairless, effete, dickless wonder. And that's probably intentional; he wants to seem weaker than he is.
Well, the dickless part wasn't his intention.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik View Post
Well, the dickless part wasn't his intention.
Yeah, he's still pretty pissed about that. Or would be pissed if he could piss. How does that work, anyway? Man, am I sorry I started this thought process. . ..
Old 01-26-2014, 07:51 PM
SDSAB

I'm sure he can piss, or he'd be dead by now. He probably can't use the Westeros equivalent of a urinal, however.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Yeah, he's still pretty pissed about that. Or would be pissed if he could piss. How does that work, anyway? Man, am I sorry I started this thought process. . ..
It'd look like this http://i.imgur.com/A2FfRxJ.gif
Old 01-27-2014, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

I'm having the opposite problem with Baelish, because I've been watching Season 4 of The Wire so I keep thinking that Baelish is not such a bad guy and really wants to do the right thing about all the crime in Baltimore err, King's Landing.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
It'd look like this http://i.imgur.com/A2FfRxJ.gif
Oh, that's priceless! (It's a totally SFW link, by the way. Which makes it that much funnier.)
Old 02-13-2014, 08:42 AM
SDSAB

Bad lip-reading of GOT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Krz-...=RDhKNDml12Big
Old 02-17-2014, 10:47 PM
SDSAB

Trailer for the next season - "Vengeance": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2ZNaLQD60Y
Old 02-25-2014, 04:32 PM

I just *have* to point at this teaser. They're so devious and evil with this one
Old 02-25-2014, 04:36 PM

I can't for the life of me understand what he is saying.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
I can't for the life of me understand what he is saying.
"Come for a last look?"
Old 03-29-2014, 07:24 PM

Eight days left!

I'm posting this here instead of starting a new thread. The titles for all the episodes have come out. Here is the list:

1. Two Swords
2. The Lion and The Rose
3. Breaker of Chains
4. Oathkeeper
5. First of His Name
6. The Laws of Gods and Men
7. Mockingbird
8. The Mountain and The Viper
9. The Watchers on the Wall
10. The Children

Wikipedia has a list of writers and directors. George R.R. Martin is writing episode two. Episode nine will be directed by Neil Marshall, who also directed season two's awesome Blackwater episode. Judging from Blackwater, he's a very logical choice for episode nine this season.

This season has more momentous events packed into it than any of the other seasons.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:11 PM

Is it too late to discuss the last 3 series? It would be nice to clear up some things lest I spoil my enjoyment of the new series

The whole thing with Craster.
What happened there was so inevitable, I don't get it.
Craster lets dozens of armed men, many former criminals, into his home full of food and women, far from civilization. Then sits there and taunts them.

Yeah I know they've taken an oath, but bearing in mind the circumstances, and the cutthroat nature of this world and its inhabitants, it's basically a suicide attempt. The fact that there has to be a penalty for desertion, already implies that the oath does not in itself result in 100% obedience.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Is it too late to discuss the last 3 series? It would be nice to clear up some things lest I spoil my enjoyment of the new series

The whole thing with Craster.
What happened there was so inevitable, I don't get it.
Craster lets dozens of armed men, many former criminals, into his home full of food and women, far from civilization. Then sits there and taunts them.

Yeah I know they've taken an oath, but bearing in mind the circumstances, and the cutthroat nature of this world and its inhabitants, it's basically a suicide attempt. The fact that there has to be a penalty for desertion, already implies that the oath does not in itself result in 100% obedience.
He's a crazy old man who marries all his daughter, lives alone with them out in the wilderness, and has had the same relationship with the Night's Watch for years and years now. I can easily imagine him getting a little more abusive each time he shelters them until finally the situation has reached the point of no return. The real world is full of people dying because of their own stupidity. He's just one of many examples of the exact same thing in Westeros.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:21 PM

Are you saying that you wouldn't trust a bunch of rapists rapers and murderers in your house!?

I'll wimp out be safe with a book spoiler tag even though I don't think we're doing that:
SPOILER:
In the book, several of them had been planning a mutiny for some time. It was supposed to go off earlier, then Others/White Walkers happened. At Craster's it was more opportunistic. I don't know if it was a good explanation, but maybe he just figured nobody's tried anything before?

TV: I did not like that the guy who started the mutiny was a character (I don't remember) seeing before. We see Rast being a jerk the whole time, but it's this other guy (search suggests it in his hoarse voice. A search suggests he is "Karl" and first appeared S3E3, and only again so far in the next episode, but he definitely wasn't there from the beginning like others.

Also, I understand that they wanted to hide Ramsay, and were giving us as much info as everyone else in Westeros knows (assumed that Theon burned Winterfell), but that whole transition was especially since they took awhile to resolve it.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:36 PM
SDSAB

Remind me, please: will this be the season where
SPOILER:
Joffrey is killed at his own wedding, and Littlefinger and Sansa end up in the Vale?
Old 03-31-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
SPOILER:
Joffrey is killed at his own wedding, and Littlefinger and Sansa end up in the Vale?
Yes to the first, and probably to the second - this season should wrap up the third book and possibly start the fourth/fifth books.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
SPOILER:
Definitely yes to one and who knows with two.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
SPOILER:
My guess is yes on the second, due to new cast announcements, although that's a partial guess as I don't know as much about that plotline. Yes, absolutely yes, on the first one.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:27 PM
SDSAB

:: steeples fingers ::

Excellent.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
SPOILER:
I tend to call the first thing there "karmatharsis", because he has it coming and it feels SO good.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClockworkMelon View Post
He's a crazy old man who marries all his daughter, lives alone with them out in the wilderness, and has had the same relationship with the Night's Watch for years and years now. I can easily imagine him getting a little more abusive each time he shelters them until finally the situation has reached the point of no return. The real world is full of people dying because of their own stupidity. He's just one of many examples of the exact same thing in Westeros.
Well, his craziness seems quite specific, as in all other respects he's a survivor. And he usually doesn't let his guard down (e.g. when he realizes he's being followed by jon snow).

And it's not just Craster, the lord commander walked into that situation blind. I don't care how many times he's been to Craster's before, it seems out of character for him not to appreciate the risks of this many ill-disciplined guys in a confined space with weapons and plenty of incentive around them.

Of course, I'm unlikely to convince someone to be irked by something that they didn't find irksome when they watched it themselves.
Just wanted to know if there was more specific reasoning for this state of affairs.

IMO, the Wall and the Night's Watch, while some of the most famous things about GoT, are the bits that make the least sense in the story.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:50 PM

I wonder if we might see in the first episode the capture of members of the Frey family by the brotherhood without banner. Book readers will understand what scene I'm thinking about and more importantly the interesting thing that is disclosded therein.

It seems to me that each previous season began with a kind of introduction sequence. Am I mistaken? Then, could it be the introduction to season 4? I'm not sure when it happens in the books, but IIRC, it was also an introduction chapter.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
My guess is yes on the second, due to new cast announcements, although that's a partial guess as I don't know as much about that plotline. Yes, absolutely yes, on the first one.
It seems to me that I noticed briefly in one of the trailers the female character Elendil's heir mentioned in the place that he mentioned. Not really sure I got it right, though.

Also, where did you find the complete cast for season 4? I couldn't.

Only 3 months, and it will be the end of season 4 and we'll have one more year to wait
Old 03-31-2014, 10:55 PM

<tried to add this to my preceding post, missed edit window>

I should add that I love the series, and the only reason bits like that stand out is because everything else is so well-written. It's amazing how many surprises there can be in the story without them seeming "cheap", or to not make sense in retrospect. Pretty much everything is consistent.

Last edited by Mijin; 03-31-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:04 PM

OK, I found the cast. So, it seems indeed obvious that what Elendil's heir mentioned will take place.

I noticed the absence of two characters I expected to see during this season and I wonder why :

SPOILER:
Tiwyn's brother and Asha's brother.

I'm also unhappy with the recast of Daario Naharys. I know many people didn't like the previous actor, but he had the required flamboyance. the new one seems dull for this character, frankly.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:09 PM

I noticed in the recast two people who could in fact be the missing characters I was wondering about (from look and age).

Struan Rodger could be the first and Joseph Gatt the second.

ETA : wrong on both counts after searching their name. Does anybody as a link to an up to date casting list?

Last edited by clairobscur; 03-31-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
It seems to me that I noticed briefly in one of the trailers the female character Elendil's heir mentioned in the place that he mentioned. Not really sure I got it right, though.
I got it, but that was confusing. Your name fits, half of it anyway.

Quote:
Also, where did you find the complete cast for season 4? I couldn't.
Bits and pieces, some may have been speculative as it was several weeks ago. Many were actors hired, and speculation on their roles.

Wikipedia's page. Note the characters in that area mentioned, half of them new.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:24 AM

Quote:
I noticed the absence of two characters I expected to see during this season and I wonder why :

SPOILER:
Tiwyn's brother and Asha's brother.
I can't remember the second. What does he do again in the book?

SPOILER:
or do you mean Theon?

Quote:
I'm also unhappy with the recast of Daario Naharys. I know many people didn't like the previous actor, but he had the required flamboyance. the new one seems dull for this character, frankly.
I agree. I wonder if he can pull it off.

Last edited by Alba; 04-01-2014 at 05:26 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:17 PM

Have you guys seen the new Dario in other things? Where are you getting that he's dull?
Old 04-01-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Well, his craziness seems quite specific, as in all other respects he's a survivor. And he usually doesn't let his guard down (e.g. when he realizes he's being followed by jon snow).

And it's not just Craster, the lord commander walked into that situation blind. I don't care how many times he's been to Craster's before, it seems out of character for him not to appreciate the risks of this many ill-disciplined guys in a confined space with weapons and plenty of incentive around them.

Of course, I'm unlikely to convince someone to be irked by something that they didn't find irksome when they watched it themselves.
Just wanted to know if there was more specific reasoning for this state of affairs.

IMO, the Wall and the Night's Watch, while some of the most famous things about GoT, are the bits that make the least sense in the story.
The nightwatch who stayed with Craster the first time were an army under control, the ones who straggled back in were a bunch of desperate survivors. There was no reason to expect any trouble the first time, Craster is used to dealing with them and they both know that they have to take his shit and like it. He did not properly evaluate the situation the second time around, neither did the Lord Commander for that matter.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alba View Post
I can't remember the second. What does he do again in the book?
Sorry, I meant her uncle, not her brother.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
Have you guys seen the new Dario in other things? Where are you getting that he's dull?
He played Sonny, a (sometimes recovering) drug addict musician in Treme, in which he was excellent. Not at ALL a similar role to Dario, but hey, that's why they call it acting.