The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 01-04-2014, 06:41 PM

Describe a movie you saw and liked as a kid but can't remember its title

The success of What's the earliest movie that you liked that you still like? which I started yesterday at 11:43 AM, makes me want to add a wrinkle. So as not to hijack that thread with this new twist, here's a new thread.

There may be some movie you saw at such a young age, or else are unable to remember its name, but you really liked and would like to know its title. Just try to give as much info on it as you can and maybe we can figure out what it must have been. Or at least make some decent guesses.

When did it come out?
Who was in it?
What plot if any do you remember?
What was special to you about it?

Any other clues you can think of?
Advertisements  
Old 01-04-2014, 06:53 PM

Oh good! I've done this one before, but I can't recall the answer. Since it's already been answered, uh, somewhere, I felt too guilty to start a new thread to ask again. But since you left this here door wide open:

We watched it more than once in Junior High and High School, which puts it's existence in the late 80's, early 90's. But it felt "old" at the time. It was in color. There was sound, but not a lot of dialogue. Based on a short story or novella by, I think, maybe, Heinlein?

The setting was Venus (and someone already hit Reply, I'm sure, but I'll continue for those not so quick on the buzzer) and the planet was always rainy, day in and day out. The story involved a group of schoolchildren. The children wore eye covers and stood in front of bright lamps to simulate sunlight - a visual I found very creepy at the time, and that has stuck with me. One of them was not from Venus, but from some planet where it didn't rain all the time (Earth, probably) and he was the only one who had ever seen the sun, and he missed it terribly. There's some break in the sun predicted - something that only happens once every X years, with X being a number longer than an average lifespan. The day it comes, however, the other kids lock the (Earth?) kid up in an interior room or closet, so he misses the break in the rain with a view of his beloved sun. And that's it. It rains again and they let him out. No one, that I recall, suffers any sort of punishment for their cruelty or learns any sort of lesson about it.

It was depressing as hell, and to this day I'm not sure why they made us watch it. It's literature, I suppose, but what I took away from it was mostly that kids are dicks, which I admit only reinforced my Junior High reality.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:58 PM

I got one.

When did it come out? Don't know.
Who was in it? Don't know.
What plot if any do you remember? A plane crashed into an island with a family on it and they converted it into a boat to get off the island.
What was special to you about it? I don't know.

Any other clues you can think of? I believe it was a TV movie.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
Based on a short story or novella by, I think, maybe, Heinlein?
Sounds like All Summer In A Day by Bradbury, which Wiki sez PBS adapted for TV.

For my part, I remember one with -- let's say A Little Person, who's a hunter or something from another planet or dimension or whatever, in maybe a spacesuit and gunning for the extraterrestrial creature menacing us puny earthlings (where, again, the idea is that we tower over our would-be savior).
Old 01-04-2014, 07:08 PM

Whynot, I've never seen the Movie (I didn't even know it was one) but I remember reading the story in class. 6th grade I believe which would put it around 1990.

Lemmie do some googling

ETA Waldo pepper is correct.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Summer_in_a_Day

Last edited by Enderw24; 01-04-2014 at 07:12 PM..
Old 01-04-2014, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

That sounds correct. I remember seeing this on TV. If I remember correctly, one or two of the kids are locked up during the time the sun briefly shines and only see a sliver of it.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Sounds like All Summer In A Day by Bradbury, which Wiki sez PBS adapted for TV.
Got it! The opening titles weren't over before I recognized it.

Oh gods, that music at 1:22. Yes, not a shadow of a doubt, that's it. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2014, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Grr Hamsters....

I had a movie that I'd been trying to figure out for years, finally came up with the answer this morning.

Saw it in school in the early 90's, but it was older then that. Girl jumps off a pier, breaks her neck and ends up paralyzed. Other then that, the two things I remember are a mean nurse at the beginning who would flip her bed really fast (so she wouldn't get bed sores) and the bed would make this awful ratcheting sound and a (nice) doctor later on that chiseled away part of her hip bone that was bothering her without anesthetics since she had no feeling there.

SPOILER:
I figured out it was Joni, in the trailer, you can see the bed I was talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6JkW8Bq-38

As for why I watched it in school, it must have been in religion class since, from what I can tell from one of the reviews of the movie and skipping around in an interview with the IRL Joni she went through a loss of faith and then came back around to God. So the movie must have been more about that then the accident and subsequent rehab.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
I got one.

What plot if any do you remember? A plane crashed into an island with a family on it and they converted it into a boat to get off the island.

That sounds a little like Family Flight, which was an ABC Movie of the Week, made in 1972. The only difference is that in FF, the plane crashes in the Mexican desert, not an island.

Wikipedia has a list of ABC Movies of the Week. Maybe something there might sound familiar.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:33 PM

I only saw the beginning of this scary movie on TV in the mid-1980s. At the beginning, a woman is looking out her apartment window and is horrified to see a tall, balding man leaning out another window across the courtyard, aiming a rifle at someone down below. A few scenes later she gets stalked or something by the killer in the apartment building's laundry room in the basement.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:34 PM

I remember All Summer In A Day being on television a lot in the early/mid 80s. My mother and I watched it together more than once.

I have one: I saw it on television in the mid 1980s. It was color and live action. It was about a little boy alone in the rainforest. In one scene, he toboggans downhill on a banana leaf. I don't remember any dialogue at all, just watching the little boy alone in the jungle. Because Disney's The Jungle Book had been in theaters recently (1984), I was really into it.

The twist is that the time I saw part of it on TV, I had to go to bed before it was over. The next time my parents and I went to a video rental store I insisted that I was going to find that movie. My parents told me I probably wouldn't... but by golly, I did. I got to see the WHOLE leaf tobogganing scene!
Old 01-04-2014, 07:44 PM

A tiny bit of research makes me think that the movie was The Emerald Forest. In my memory the little boy was indigenous and wearing a red breechcloth, but that's The Jungle Book influencing me.

Last edited by Sattua; 01-04-2014 at 07:44 PM..
Old 01-04-2014, 08:08 PM

Vampire, by a canal. Only the victim's shoes are left on the pavement. Seen on late-night TV (with far too many Zotz consumed) in the early 1970's.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:15 PM

There are two I didn't like as a kid. I was born in '86, to give you a timeframe.

1: I think it had the kid from Wonder Years. There were weird looking people and some kind of goo/slime.

2: It was this move where aliens or something were attacking and this one black guy was killed a small flying saucer.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
There are two I didn't like as a kid. I was born in '86, to give you a timeframe.

1: I think it had the kid from Wonder Years. There were weird looking people and some kind of goo/slime.
Little Monsters?

Did it involve going under the bed?

I watched that a lot growing up (I was born in '80). I remember it being a pretty good movie. Howie Mandel was the "main" monster and IIRC it was our introduction to Fred Savages brother Ben who was also in the movie.

Last edited by Joey P; 01-04-2014 at 08:38 PM..
Old 01-04-2014, 08:44 PM

When did it come out? Don't know, probably 70s. It was in color.
What plot if any do you remember? A family being terrorized by a man. In one scene the man is eating corn chips out of a bag and the father punches him. The man gets up, laughing and walks off still laughing.

Another scene has the father fighting with the old man near water. The father holds the man under the water, strangling him until he stops breathing. The father looks away, then back towards the man and he is gone.

Another scene I believe from the same movie the mother receives an arm with a ring from their sons college. The father is able to convince the mother that it can't be the sons's for some reason.

What was special to you about it? For some reason, this movie just stands out in my mind and it seems like it would be fun to see again.

Any other clues you can think of? It may have been a TV movie, but I can't be sure.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldar View Post

When did it come out?
Who was in it?

I think I've very possibly mixed up a couple of the details by now, but mine is a western that I remember seeing at a drive in. I think it was 1962 or so.

The memory that sticks out is the young boy in the movie. He was a pretty central character, but that's all I recall. I developed a huge crush on him. He was dark haired and probably had olive toned skin. I was about six years old and thought he was beautiful.

I keep thinking he played the part of Hadji in the jonny quest show, but can't find anything that isn't animated, so I have no idea what the movie actually was.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Sounds like All Summer In A Day by Bradbury
This one gets asked and answered with surprising regularity. Along with Here Come The DoubleDeckers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
That sounds a little like Family Flight, which was an ABC Movie of the Week, made in 1972.
I've seen this film! It made me afraid of active propellers ever since. Poor Rod Taylor.

Quote:
2: It was this move where aliens or something were attacking and this one black guy was killed a small flying saucer.
Here are two comedies that came out that had tiny flying saucers. Batteries Not Included, and Spaced Invaders. I don't know if either of them had deaths, though.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

How about a TV show? It would have been on in the 80's. It featured a (homemade?) robot that, IIRC, had a good deal of AI. I specifically remember that it had a VHS tape for a head (or at least part of it's head).

For the record, I'm not thinking of Short Circuit. Though the TV show was out at about the same time so I wouldn't be surprised if they did that on purpose. Also, this was a kids show, probably aimed at 8-10 year olds or so.

Most of it took place in the lead character's basement. I don't recall if the mom knew about the robot or if he kept it hidden.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
How about a TV show? It would have been on in the 80's. It featured a (homemade?) robot that, IIRC, had a good deal of AI. I specifically remember that it had a VHS tape for a head (or at least part of it's head).
Wake, Rattle, and Roll
Old 01-04-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I got one.

It believe it was The Last Flight of Noah's ark". It was a B29.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081031/
Old 01-04-2014, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Yup, didn't even have to click on the link. I remembered that title as soon as I saw it, but I did watch a little bit of it on youtube.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

When did it come out? Eh. . . 1950s?
Who was in it? Dunno.
What plot if any do you remember? None.
What was special to you about it? What I remember
Old 01-04-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:

When did it come out?
Who was in it?

My mystery movie was a probably-1950s science fiction movie. The only things I can remember was that the action took place on a 50's style wheel space station, and that the station got over run by a 'space mold'. I remember a shot of the station model, from an outside perspective, showing the station being over grown by mold, covering the outside (it was an incredibly cheesy effect-the station looked like bread that had been left out too long).

I have tried to find it, but I searching for space mold hasn't got me any closer. That might not even have been the main point of the movie. I thought it might be "Mutiny in Outer Space" but I saw it on TCM and if it had the shot I remember, I missed it. Even though it had a wheel station, and space fungus, it seemed like a totally different movie than I remembered.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
My mystery movie was a probably-1950s science fiction movie. The only things I can remember was that the action took place on a 50's style wheel space station, and that the station got over run by a 'space mold'. I remember a shot of the station model, from an outside perspective, showing the station being over grown by mold, covering the outside (it was an incredibly cheesy effect-the station looked like bread that had been left out too long).

I have tried to find it, but I searching for space mold hasn't got me any closer. That might not even have been the main point of the movie. I thought it might be "Mutiny in Outer Space" but I saw it on TCM and if it had the shot I remember, I missed it. Even though it had a wheel station, and space fungus, it seemed like a totally different movie than I remembered.
2001: A Space Alien?

ETA, is there any chance it could be something from The Twilight Zone? 50's era cheesy SFX are kinda right up their alley.

Last edited by Joey P; 01-04-2014 at 09:59 PM..
Old 01-04-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
2001: A Space Alien?
I can't find that one in imdb. Unless you mean Odyssey? If so, then no, it was way cheesier than that. Have you seen Amazon Women on the Moon? The movie-within the movie? It had that level of production values.

I believe it was a movie. It was one of those late night shows, back in the day. I don't think I was asleep and dreamed it!

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 01-04-2014 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: responding to the edit
Old 01-04-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Little Monsters?

Did it involve going under the bed?

I watched that a lot growing up (I was born in '80). I remember it being a pretty good movie. Howie Mandel was the "main" monster and IIRC it was our introduction to Fred Savages brother Ben who was also in the movie.
That is probably it. I'm assuming it is because I remember that movie freaking me out and after I just searched it I thought, "that totally would have scared me as a child."
Old 01-04-2014, 10:09 PM

Horror movie seen on tv in the 80s.

Film stock quality pegs it in the 60s-70s.

The monster is a human-shaped mound of mud...which bursts into flame in contact with salt.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I can't find that one in imdb. Unless you mean Odyssey? If so, then no, it was way cheesier than that. Have you seen Amazon Women on the Moon? The movie-within the movie? It had that level of production values.
Yeah, sorry, that was a joke. 2001 had the circular space station and Alien had that egg scene.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My mystery movie was a probably-1950s science fiction movie. . . .
The Green Slime (1968)?
Old 01-04-2014, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
. . .2: It was this move where aliens or something were attacking and this one black guy was killed a small flying saucer.
An alien bounty hunter kills with little flying saucers in Without Warning (1980), but I don't recall any black guys in it.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:20 PM

Troll:

All I remember is it had the line: that's the beauty of it, it doesn't do anything.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker View Post
I don't think so, but it does sound right. I think I caught part of it on TCM (I'm not sure what is so 'classic' about it! maybe it wasn't TCM...) and the part I saw seemed different. I'll try to catch it the next time it comes up.

I was joking in my reply to Joey P, but when I was a kid our local channel used to show Wild Wild West at 11:30 at night and I did use to dream entire episodes. I rarely made it through to the end or even the start, but I SAW some very interesting episodes!
Old 01-04-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
It believe it was The Last Flight of Noah's ark". It was a B29.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081031/
You are incredible. That's it! I have no recollection of the animals, only the island and converting the plane into a boat. And apparently it wasn't a TV movie. I do remember a little blonde kid, and that would've been Ricky Schroder. I was probably six or seven when I saw this on TV.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
You are incredible. That's it! I have no recollection of the animals, only the island and converting the plane into a boat. And apparently it wasn't a TV movie. I do remember a little blonde kid, and that would've been Ricky Schroder. I was probably six or seven when I saw this on TV.
I only know because a friend from work was like you-he remembered it exactly like you did, but couldn't remember what the title was. He finally found it, and got the DVD. And then he lent it to me. Holds up pretty well.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Troll:

All I remember is it had the line: that's the beauty of it, it doesn't do anything.

I hope you're aware that Earl Snake-Hips Tucker solved that mystery some time ago. Right, Earl?
Old 01-04-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I hope you're aware that Earl Snake-Hips Tucker solved that mystery some time ago. Right, Earl?
Yeah. But never let facts get in the way of a joke.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Here's one I saw about 1969 - about a friendship between two boys in Japan, one skinny and one chubby. It was shown here (in the US) on Saturday morning TV as a movie about then. The movie was set in a city setting (or it might have been a city vs. country theme). It was in Japanese but dubbed into English.

Any ideas?
Old 01-04-2014, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
Here's one I saw about 1969 - about a friendship between two boys in Japan, one skinny and one chubby. It was shown here (in the US) on Saturday morning TV as a movie about then. The movie was set in a city setting (or it might have been a city vs. country theme). It was in Japanese but dubbed into English.

Any ideas?
I googled 'skinny fat japanese kid movie' and, I shit you not, came back with "Skinny and Fatty" They synopses included the line "Quite popular in the United States due to repeated showings on The CBS Children's Film Festival in the 1960s and 70s. "
So I'm guessing that's it.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:42 PM

When did it come out?
Probably 70s or 80s. Maybe even the 60s, but I don't think it was that old.

Who was in it?
I have no clue.

I think it was some sort of spy flick, maybe? The characters wore snazzy jumpsuits. I remember and man and a woman in a giant, actual maze, and I think the woman was at some sort of central control computer trying to help the man get through the obstacles in the maze. Ultimately, they end up escaping using a zip line.

It's a movie with a giant maze. Also, I'm pretty sure it's the first time I ever saw a zip line used.

No, I think that's pretty much it.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:43 PM

Quote:
I googled 'skinny fat japanese kid movie' and, I shit you not, came back with "Skinny and Fatty" They synopses included the line "Quite popular in the United States due to repeated showings on The CBS Children's Film Festival in the 1960s and 70s. "
Oh wow! It wasn't my question, but I've been trying to remember that one for a long time, too. I used to watch TCBSCFF every Saturday. There was one other one I was also trying to find, about a Catholic boy and a Jewish girl that go to each other's church. Finally found it as Hand in Hand. Now I can go try and find a copy of Skinny and Fatty. Somewhere...
Old 01-05-2014, 01:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I'll agree with this. The skinny kid was named "Komatsu" IIRC, and every time I see a Komatsu tractor/dozer, etc... I think of the movie.

Last edited by handsomeharry; 01-05-2014 at 01:06 AM..
Old 01-05-2014, 03:54 AM

Mid-1970s, a color film on TV (probably a feature film from c. 1970, but perhaps a made-for-TV film). The only scenes I remember was a man in a WW2-era sailor suit -- Navy, I suppose --jumping off a pier to save someone from drowning (a child, perhaps?), and a subsequent scene where he (?) is under some clear plastic sheet in a hospital, which my parents explained had to do with his recovery from near-drowning.

(BTW, just recently I figure out what a different memory from around the same time was, of a man being punched so hard he fell through three floors and onto some clickety-cola kitty machinery -- turns out it was "The Odessa File," with Jon Voight, and the machine was a printing press.)
Old 01-05-2014, 04:26 AM

(That was "clickety-clackety machinery," until mangled by auto-correct.)
Old 01-05-2014, 04:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
I've seen this film! It made me afraid of active propellers ever since. Poor Rod Taylor.
Good to know that there's two of us at least who remember this movie. (And I guess I was wrong on Happy's film, but I'm glad he got the correct answer.)

As an aside, an old friend was a private pilot. I flew many times with him in his Cessna 172. He'd insist that I follow him during his pre-flight checkout: fuel in wing tanks, trim tabs set, flaps responding, rudder working, and so on. He'd also have a look at the engine--but that was one thing I didn't want to go near. Because it was next to the propellor, and I'd seen Family Flight.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:51 AM

That puppet show Kukla, Fran and Ollie had these filmed live-action vignettes, and one of them stuck with me. I was actually going to start a Cafe Society thread of its own, but here it is.

Its a typical fairy tale -- a King's prized magic item of some sort is stolen by an evil Giant who rides a dragon, the King's two sons try to get it back, and fail to make it past the guard monster, maybe even losing a horse (was the magic item a prized horse?) and having to ride back together on a broken down horse, then the King's Daughter gets it away from the evil Giant, with the help of a good Witch, who stupefies the Guard monster with Magic toadstools.

That's the story, and that's the voice over description, but its not animated or a costume drama, and there's no actor's dialog. As the above story is narrated, the actors appear on the streets of some contemporary city. The king is an ordinary dad, likewise the sons and daughter are ordinary pre-teens in street clothes. The giant is just a big burly man, who rides a motorcycle and has stolen a prized bicycle, leaving them with just a broken down one. The Good witch is just a nice old lady, who feeds a basket of home-baked muffins to a guard dog so the girl can achieve her goals.

I gotta know who came up with this, and what else have they come up with, and what have I missed from other episodes of Kukla, Fran and Ollie.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That is definitely it. As a man of girth who was a boy of girth, I was a faithful watcher of that movie.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

I was going to post in this thread about a movie I remembered every now and then but had no clue as to what it was. All I could remember was that it was in the 60's, black and white IIRC, and there were 3 kids being chased by some bad guys. It was an urban setting but I didn't know what city (still don't), and that I thought they had stayed with their grandmother for a bit. The only real scene I could remember was a creepy man taking them someplace, them walking down the sidewalk. Since I couldn't remember anything else about the movie I had no clue as to why I got this unsettling feeling every time I thought about the movie. I remember liking the oldest girl but could never think of who she was or even picture her.

All through the years, whenever I'd think about the film I could have sworn that the man was John Forsythe, but years ago I looked through his filmography and there was nothing there that sounded like the film. Before I posted I wanted to double-check Forsythe's film filmography and there was still nothing there. Then I decided to take a quick look at his TV work, thinking, well, maybe it was a TV show, though I didn't think so. But I found it! It wasn't a TV show though, it was a made-for-TV movie. In fact, as I just found out, it was the VERY FIRST made-for-TV movie!

See How They Run (1964)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widipedia
Three orphans head for the US, unknowingly carrying important evidence pointing to the existence of a corrupt international cartel, which has just murdered their father. The cartel is desperate to retrieve the evidence.

And no wonder I liked the girl. It was Pamela Franklin! (here are some photos since there aren't any on her IMDB page, and a video made with scenes from The Innocents with Deborah Kerr, Franklin's first movie). I used to see her on television a LOT in the 60's and especially 70's, but she didn't do near enough movies. Here's a scene of her holding her own opposite Maggie Smith in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.

So even though I don't need anyone's help now, and I can't help anyone else (so far) I just wanted to say thanks to Zeldar for prompting my finding the name of this movie that's been on my mind for so many years.

It's never been released on VHS or DVD, dammit.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

The Stuff, maybe
Old 01-05-2014, 11:53 AM

This was a color movie and the thing I remember most was a scene in a barn were a kid jumps off the loft into a bail of hay shouting "I'm king of the mountain!" and lands on a buried pitchfork. Also, in another scene, a different young boy tries to steal a ring off of his dead twin's corpse's finger during a wake in a house.

If I may do a twofer-- The little boy from Family Affair falls off a mountain and becomes an angel.