The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 01-05-2014, 11:00 AM

When did it come out?
The film / show had a very obviously "70s sci-fi" feel to it - lots of sterile, white sets and costumes. Room-sized computers with random blinking lights, etc. And bad, bad, bad special effects and monster costumes (at least by today's standards).

Who was in it?
Our Hero was a strapping 70s type leading man, someone like Kier Dullea, or maybe it could've been Martin Balsam.

What plot if any do you remember?
Definitely a sci-fi flick or show set in the future. Some type of outpost in deep space (either a spaceship or space station) with an exhausted home-sick crew. These big shambling mound, tentacly aliens (think "Sigmund and the Sea Monsters" with no faces, except perhaps a single eye) invade the station. The aliens have psionic abilities and can manipulate the human crew members by causing them to have "Manchurian Candidate" type hallucinations - the humans carry out their malevolent commands because they think they are performing routine or pleasurable activities. For example, one hypnotized crew member carries a dangerous radioactive warhead around the station because he is being made to think that he is on a beach with a woman (his wife or girl friend) in his arms. We see flash cuts of his fantasy of carrying his wife in his arms in between shots of the "reality" in which he is really cradling a warhead and smiling.

I only remember the very end of the movie - the hypnotized crewman is taking the warhead to some very 70s-scifi computer room. (All the humans wear spacesuits for some reason.) If the aliens can get their hypnotized slaves to somehow interface the warhead with the computer (basically stick it in a slot), then the base will be flooded with radiation - good for the invading aliens, bad for the humans. Our hero rushes to the rescue in the nick of time and prevents the disaster. The shambling mound aliens basically stand around and watch Our Hero defeat the hypnotized crew-men.

When the fight is over, the aliens seem more baffled than angry. They ask Our Hero why he opposed them. They say that once they had established themselves there, they would have gratefully made all the humans have constant non-stop hallucinations based on their favorite, most cherished memories. Sure the humans would all be their menial slaves, but they would be HAPPY. The aliens genuinely ask wouldn't it be preferable to live in a world of your greatest fantasies rather than the ugly, sterile reality you inhabit?

NO! Our Hero responds. Reality, no matter how unpleasant, is always better than fantasy. The aliens then simply fade away (and return to their home dimension?) Credits roll.

What was special to you about it?
The aliens! I've no doubt that if I managed to track this movie down, the reality would not match up to my cherished memory, but there was something distinctly Lovecraftian about them - their totally non-human appearance, and how they seemed to originate from another reality entirely.

Any other clues you can think of?
I had for the longest time assumed this was an episode of Space: 1999. It has the look and feel of that show. But having looked at the wikipedia list of episodes for that show, I can't find a description that matches it. It would be of the same time period of that show however.
Advertisements  
Old 01-05-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
This was a color movie and the thing I remember most was a scene in a barn were a kid jumps off the loft into a bail of hay shouting "I'm king of the mountain!" and lands on a buried pitchfork. Also, in another scene, a different young boy tries to steal a ring off of his dead twin's corpse's finger during a wake in a house.
The Other (possibly the original "evil twins" movie)!

Last edited by LC Strawhouse; 01-05-2014 at 11:02 AM..
Old 01-05-2014, 11:03 AM

Too late to edit my post. I do want to add what was special about these movies: They both scared the living hell out of me. The first movie it is easy to see why but that second one I believe as supposed to be a family movie but, to this day, all I really remember is that a child fell off a mountain and died.

Holy cow, that was fast Strawhouse. I didn't even see your answer because a second page started and I didn't even notice. Thanks!

Last edited by Biggirl; 01-05-2014 at 11:05 AM..
Old 01-05-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
This was a color movie and the thing I remember most was a scene in a barn were a kid jumps off the loft into a bail of hay shouting "I'm king of the mountain!" and lands on a buried pitchfork. Also, in another scene, a different young boy tries to steal a ring off of his dead twin's corpse's finger during a wake in a house.

If I may do a twofer-- The little boy from Family Affair falls off a mountain and becomes an angel.
The Littlest Angel?
Old 01-05-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Yes! What kind of family movie is that? Here, impressionable 5 year old, watch the cute little boy from that other TV show you like fall off a mountain and die! Isn't this a classic heartwarmer?
Old 01-05-2014, 11:24 AM

With Herman Munster as the guardian angel. No wonder the kid fell to his bloody death.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:44 AM

I made a topic about this one before and nobody knew it..but here goes anyway:

This was a movie. A horror movie. It was sort of like an anthology horror movie, because it had 2 or 3 separate stories told in it.

Now if I remember correctly (as in, I THINK these are all a part of the same movie, but I could be wrong and they could all be three different movies) here were some scenes from the movie:

One of the stories (the first one, I think) was about this guy who sneaked into a woman's house without her knowledge. And as she was going from room to room, you could actually see the guy behind her, moving around and trying to stay hidden. Like she'd go into the bathroom and he'd come out of the closet and stuff like that.
I don't remember how it began or how it ended, but I remember that scene specifically.

Then there was a story about someone driving in a car and they don't stop in time and hit the back of another vehicle (a truck, I think)..and the exhaust pipe is stuck in there with the person (it's, like, right in their face, through the busted window) and they (for some reason) can't get out of the car. So they choke to death that way, on the fumes.

The last story featured a guy with long hair and a beard and he was a bit of an asshole (for some reason I don't remember) and he lived (I think) in a cabin in the woods or something like that.
At the end, he went to take a shower and the shower turned cold on him (freezing, actually) and you can hear him scream something like "Hey, what happened to the hot water?" and he's not able to get the door open, so the water freezes him.....and only then does the door open, with his frozen corpse falling out of the shower.

Again, I THINK all of these are part of the same movie, although I'm not certain. I've been trying to remember this movie for years, so if anyone can help, I'd be grateful. I don't remember much about it other than those three scenes (which I'm not even sure are from the same movie)...I don't even remember anyone who was in it. All I know is I've put this on 3 different message boards in the past and nobody has ever recognized these scenes.

ETA: I saw this movie when I was about 8-10 years old, so it MUST be have at least been out before 1988-1990 (or around that time).

Last edited by Idle Thoughts; 01-05-2014 at 11:50 AM..
Old 01-05-2014, 12:43 PM

I have another one. I only remember the barest minimum:

60s or 70s, live action, had the feel of a made for TV, or a "B" movie. Someone was making their own nuclear weapon, in their basement I believe. The heroes finally tracked it down, and could not disarm it. One of the heroes, who had received a lethal dose of radiation, volunteered to fly the bomb out over the ocean with a helicopter. It detonated over the water. The end.

Or at least, that's how I remember it.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
I have another one. I only remember the barest minimum:

60s or 70s, live action, had the feel of a made for TV, or a "B" movie. Someone was making their own nuclear weapon, in their basement I believe. The heroes finally tracked it down, and could not disarm it. One of the heroes, who had received a lethal dose of radiation, volunteered to fly the bomb out over the ocean with a helicopter. It detonated over the water. The end.

Reminiscent of The Night They Took Miss Beauftiful (1977). Except that it's a biological or neurotoxic "bomb." What is similar is that their is that the hero (Gary Collins) flies a chopper, and deliberately crashes it into the water, when one of the dumbass hostage-takers opens up the cannister (disguised as a cigar holder) containing the chemical. Victoria Principal plays an Israeli beauty contestant who is also a secret agent.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

A movie I saw on UK TV circa 1975.

Two or three men on US Death Row. I think the charge was treason/ espionage. One kept playing chess all the time, while holding long conversations with his opponents. Appeals eventually fail, and they are executed. I think the implication was that they were innocent.

I was very young, and I think a lot of it went over my head.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Thoughts View Post
I made a topic about this one before and nobody knew it..but here goes anyway:

This was a movie. A horror movie. It was sort of like an anthology horror movie, because it had 2 or 3 separate stories told in it.

Now if I remember correctly (as in, I THINK these are all a part of the same movie, but I could be wrong and they could all be three different movies) here were some scenes from the movie:

One of the stories (the first one, I think) was about this guy who sneaked into a woman's house without her knowledge. And as she was going from room to room, you could actually see the guy behind her, moving around and trying to stay hidden. Like she'd go into the bathroom and he'd come out of the closet and stuff like that.
I don't remember how it began or how it ended, but I remember that scene specifically.

Then there was a story about someone driving in a car and they don't stop in time and hit the back of another vehicle (a truck, I think)..and the exhaust pipe is stuck in there with the person (it's, like, right in their face, through the busted window) and they (for some reason) can't get out of the car. So they choke to death that way, on the fumes.

The last story featured a guy with long hair and a beard and he was a bit of an asshole (for some reason I don't remember) and he lived (I think) in a cabin in the woods or something like that.
At the end, he went to take a shower and the shower turned cold on him (freezing, actually) and you can hear him scream something like "Hey, what happened to the hot water?" and he's not able to get the door open, so the water freezes him.....and only then does the door open, with his frozen corpse falling out of the shower.

Again, I THINK all of these are part of the same movie, although I'm not certain. I've been trying to remember this movie for years, so if anyone can help, I'd be grateful. I don't remember much about it other than those three scenes (which I'm not even sure are from the same movie)...I don't even remember anyone who was in it. All I know is I've put this on 3 different message boards in the past and nobody has ever recognized these scenes.

ETA: I saw this movie when I was about 8-10 years old, so it MUST be have at least been out before 1988-1990 (or around that time).
Could they be episodes of Freddy's Nightmares? That ran on NBC on Saturday night in that timeframe. They did short episodes like that, all crammed into an hour. One I remember quite clearly was some guy who worked the drive thru, and weird stuff happened, and it ended with a car coming to the window - but it was driven by a corpse!

Mine is maybe a TV movie, but I think I saw it on HBO. Seven-ish people are trying out a nuclear bomb shelter, and the people on the surface fake a nuclear attack while they're down there. Don't really remember the point, but I remember two things quite clearly - it must have been subtitled, since the attack announcement on the shelter TVs read "Achtung!" and one line - they were discussing how the shelter was equipped, and someone mentions they have included seven body bags. One of the leads says something like "How is the last person supposed to zip themselves in their bag?"
Old 01-05-2014, 02:13 PM

I think I saw this movie on television around 2000. It probably came out some time before then. I only caught the beginning of it. What I definitely remember is there was a scene in which the housekeeper is dead on the kitchen floor, blood pooling around her. What I think I remember (I am not sure if this actually happened) is there was a new family who moved to the house. One of them came back to find the dead housekeeper.

I tried searching for the movie, and the only one which had any semblance to what I remembered is What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice? (1969), which I have seen described as a dark comedy, and I remember the movie being described as one as well. Unfortunately, it just doesn't sound quite right.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker View Post
Reminiscent of The Night They Took Miss Beauftiful (1977). Except that it's a biological or neurotoxic "bomb." What is similar is that their is that the hero (Gary Collins) flies a chopper, and deliberately crashes it into the water, when one of the dumbass hostage-takers opens up the cannister (disguised as a cigar holder) containing the chemical. Victoria Principal plays an Israeli beauty contestant who is also a secret agent.
Could be. I'll have to track it down and see. My memory says it was older, but I could be wrong. It's the best fit I have found.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:41 PM

Here's one: I'm pretty sure I saw it on TV the summer I spent in Colorado with my dad, which would have been 1967. Don't know if it was in color or not, and I think it was European, which means it would have been dubbed into English. It was about the antics a unit of peacetime soldiers in what looked like WWII British uniforms, but I'm pretty sure they were Swedish (maybe part of a UN contingent).

The one scene I remember well was when they were at a mountain lake and saw a hot babe in a bathing suit standing at the end of a pier. One of the soldiers gives a whoop and takes off after her, clomping down the pier in his combat boots, and grabs her to give her a kiss. He spins her around, and her face is butt-ugly, so he falls backward off the pier in shock.

Ring any bells?
Old 01-05-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
I had for the longest time assumed this was an episode of Space: 1999. It has the look and feel of that show. But having looked at the wikipedia list of episodes for that show, I can't find a description that matches it. It would be of the same time period of that show however.
I described this to my husband, Shoujin, and he thinks it's Space: 1999 as well, before I even got to this paragraph. He mentioned one hallucination with a guy who thinks he's in a dune buggy being chased by a gorilla (?) but it's really a fellow human in a spacesuit who's after him.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
. . .I had for the longest time assumed this was an episode of Space: 1999. It has the look and feel of that show. . . . .
Actually, this sounds like an amalgam of episodes Dragon's Domain and Force of Life.

Last edited by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker; 01-05-2014 at 03:35 PM..
Old 01-05-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichini Sanshigo View Post
When did it come out?
Probably 70s or 80s. Maybe even the 60s, but I don't think it was that old.

Who was in it?
I have no clue.

What plot if any do you remember?
I think it was some sort of spy flick, maybe? The characters wore snazzy jumpsuits. I remember and man and a woman in a giant, actual maze, and I think the woman was at some sort of central control computer trying to help the man get through the obstacles in the maze. Ultimately, they end up escaping using a zip line.

What was special to you about it?
It's a movie with a giant maze. Also, I'm pretty sure it's the first time I ever saw a zip line used.

No, I think that's pretty much it.

"Once upon a Spy"?

Starring Ted Danson and Christopher Lee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Oqq5gYSDY
Old 01-05-2014, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Strawhouse View Post
The Other (possibly the original "evil twins" movie)!
Quote:
Too late to edit my post. I do want to add what was special about these movies: They both scared the living hell out of me. The first movie it is easy to see why but that second one I believe as supposed to be a family movie but, to this day, all I really remember is that a child fell off a mountain and died.

Holy cow, that was fast Strawhouse. I didn't even see your answer because a second page started and I didn't even notice. Thanks!
It's currently posted on YouTube.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Here's mine.

Back in the early eighties, HBO used to run short fillers between movies. Stuff like music videos or short animated films.

I remember one of the animated films they showed was about a bunch a men wearing suits and top hats. They were running around a city in a panicked manner and the city was changing around them. Stone buildings turned into brick and then brick buildings turned into glass and steel. The implication was that the city was becoming more modern. I also remember there were a lot of shots of clocks. As far as I recall, the film had no dialogue.

Anyone?
Old 01-05-2014, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Here's mine.

Back in the early eighties, HBO used to run short fillers between movies. Stuff like music videos or short animated films.

I remember one of the animated films they showed was about a bunch a men wearing suits and top hats. They were running around a city in a panicked manner and the city was changing around them. Stone buildings turned into brick and then brick buildings turned into glass and steel. The implication was that the city was becoming more modern. I also remember there were a lot of shots of clocks. As far as I recall, the film had no dialogue.

Anyone?
A)Were you on acid?
B)Was it Yellow Submarine?
Old 01-05-2014, 06:53 PM

I'll give these a shot:
--a film that used to run all the time on the Discovery Channel in the late 80s, although it was from the early 70s. It was about a retarded teenager and how he lived his everyday life. It was a scripted movie, but many of the shots seemed out of a documentary. The only specific scene I remember was him trying to buy Carpenters and Jerry Reed albums at a record store.
--a movie where they pan up a hotel or apartment building as they call out draft numbers (obviously it was set around 1970).
--a clip from a spoof of forties B-movies where there was a "no necking" public announcement between the features.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:03 PM

mystery movie

Hi Zeldar

A friend has given me information about an old movie (or TV movie/TV episode) he is trying to find, that he saw as a child, and remembers little of. I want to help him find it, and solve the mystery. I will relay this information as best I can

The movie was viewed by my friend in the early/mid 70's. His view is that it was from that period, as opposed to the 50's or 60's. It was viewed on a b&w television, so it is uncertain if it was black & white or colour. Here is the story as my friend remembers it;
A group of men are somwhere where it it is snowing outside (maybe north pole or antarctic station?) and one night there is a knock on the door and there are some people standing there, one of them, a woman. They are actually dead relatives of each of the men in the team. Somehow this is not regarded as too strange in my friend's memory of the movie/TV show, and that the ghosts state that they know they are dead and talk openly about death, the dead and where they go. There is one black man who has no dead relatives present, as, he states, he was an orphan. He brandishes a machine gun with growing suspiscion of the visitors. At one point he tells them he was only ever close to one thing, a pet dog. the next time the visitors return, they have with him the black man's pet dog, but he remains suspicious of them all. Later, one of the men in the team follows the ghosts when they leave, to see where they go. He returns dishevelled and shaken, stating that he saw the visitors 'change'.
This is all my friend remembers. He did not see this story to the finish.

If anyone has any ideas to help identify this story, I would be much obliged.

- JD
Old 01-05-2014, 08:11 PM

Here's one if anyone feels up to the challenge.

When did it come out? - Not sure, I saw it only once on late night network TV sometime in the late 70s/early eighties. Assume a mid seventies production.

Who was in it? - no clue

What plot if any do you remember? - According to my memory, this was a horror anthology film with four or more separate stories. I THINK both of these stories come from the same film but no promises.

One of the stories takes place on Halloween night. A group or young, similarly costumed children knock on a woman's door and she invites them in. Once in the house they just stand there mutely without accepting the candy she offers or responding to anything she says. Eventually she get frustrated and yells at them to take off their masks. The kids faces are revealed to be monstrously bestial at which point they attack and kill the woman.

The other story involves a well dressed businessman in a hurry and scorning a homeless person. Through some means I don't recall, the businessman falls or is thrust into a small chamber underneath an elevator shaft in the basement of an office building. This is some kind of a modern day torture chamber where he his abused over a period of several days. I remember that one of the things his unseen captors do to him is that they force a series of long spikes to slowly emerge from the wall in order to painfully but non fatally skewer the businessman. After an undetermined amount of time, one of the walls slides up a few inches and a partially filled bottle of whiskey is rolled in for him to drink. After other unseen abuses, we see the businessman back on the street but this time as a homeless, hopeless alcoholic, scorned by the type of people he used to be.

What was special to you about it? - I was young, on summer break from school and this was probably the first 'scary' movies I ever saw without parental supervision.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
A)Were you on acid?
B)Was it Yellow Submarine?
No, and No. It was a short film not a feature film. And definitely not Yellow Submarine, a movie I knew well.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

This might be hopeless, but here goes:

Seen in the 1960's, on a b&w TV in New York City.
It had the feel of a live action show, but definitely for kids
It was a retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk, but then things get fuzzy - the hero finds his dad, long thought dead, up in the giant's lair with amnesia.
Upon seeing his son, the dad suddenly remembers that he's supposed to be a dentist (!) There was also a lot of running around with a real live goose under their arms, and the giant chasing them.

Strange, but I've been thinking about this movie for ages!
Thanks,
Wallet
Old 01-05-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
I googled 'skinny fat japanese kid movie' and, I shit you not, came back with "Skinny and Fatty" They synopses included the line "Quite popular in the United States due to repeated showings on The CBS Children's Film Festival in the 1960s and 70s. "
So I'm guessing that's it.
I remember this being on CBS on my birthday, 7 January, which fell on a Sunday back around 1970. I especially remember the two boys getting into a fight with some bullies, one of whom said "Oh, protecting your fat friend, eh?"
Old 01-06-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Zeus View Post
I think I saw this movie on television around 2000. It probably came out some time before then. I only caught the beginning of it. What I definitely remember is there was a scene in which the housekeeper is dead on the kitchen floor, blood pooling around her. What I think I remember (I am not sure if this actually happened) is there was a new family who moved to the house. One of them came back to find the dead housekeeper.

I tried searching for the movie, and the only one which had any semblance to what I remembered is What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice? (1969), which I have seen described as a dark comedy, and I remember the movie being described as one as well. Unfortunately, it just doesn't sound quite right.
Could it have been Curdled?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curdled_(film)
Old 01-06-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post
I think I've very possibly mixed up a couple of the details by now, but mine is a western that I remember seeing at a drive in. I think it was 1962 or so.

The memory that sticks out is the young boy in the movie. He was a pretty central character, but that's all I recall. I developed a huge crush on him. He was dark haired and probably had olive toned skin. I was about six years old and thought he was beautiful.

I keep thinking he played the part of Hadji in the jonny quest show, but can't find anything that isn't animated, so I have no idea what the movie actually was.
Maybe this film? Mineo would have been 18 when it was released.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonka_(film)
Old 01-06-2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post

Sounds almost exactly like an episode of 24, except the bomb there exploded over the desert, not the ocean.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Edifice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nHOWkfGFsk

Not quite as you describe, but certainly the city becoming more advanced.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:

Phantoms?

A teen-age girl moves to a small mountain town to live with her sister the doctor.

My submission:
The movie was probably made in the late '80s. I think I rented the video.

A cab-driver agrees to take a woman to a different city.

They stop to eat in a diner on the way.

She won't answer questions about herself; he deduces she is in trouble, and insists he should help her.

She refuses, because he doesn't know what he is getting into, and he will get her killed.

He keeps following her, and sure enough, she gets killed, possibly because he led the Bad Guys to her. Possibly in a passenger train.

What I remember most is that he never realized that, yes, he had indeed got her killed because he didn't know what he was doing.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by installLSC View Post
I'll give these a shot:
--a film that used to run all the time on the Discovery Channel in the late 80s, although it was from the early 70s. It was about a retarded teenager and how he lived his everyday life. It was a scripted movie, but many of the shots seemed out of a documentary. The only specific scene I remember was him trying to buy Carpenters and Jerry Reed albums at a record store.
--a movie where they pan up a hotel or apartment building as they call out draft numbers (obviously it was set around 1970).
--a clip from a spoof of forties B-movies where there was a "no necking" public announcement between the features.
I believe that the last item is a real announcement that ran in theaters "We're glad you were bitten by the Love Bug, but no Public Displays of Affection. 'Nuff Said?" or words to that effect. If I recall correctly, it's included in the documentary The Atomic Café.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:39 AM

For me it's a cartoon where two kids are in a blimp visiting various crazy worlds including one where it was a land of people with block heads.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Could it have been Curdled?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curdled_(film)
I skimmed through it on Netflix and a scene in it looked very similar, I will watch the whole thing later. Although, it just doesn't seem to be the same movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j666 View Post
Phantoms?

A teen-age girl moves to a small mountain town to live with her sister the doctor.
I am reasonably sure it wasn't Phantoms. I watched it several years ago, but I will watch it again to be sure.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I googled 'skinny fat japanese kid movie' and, I shit you not, came back with "Skinny and Fatty" They synopses included the line "Quite popular in the United States due to repeated showings on The CBS Children's Film Festival in the 1960s and 70s. "
So I'm guessing that's it.
So twelve minutes after asking the question I got an accurate answer - one of the reasons I like SDMB.

I teach a beginning college-level computer class and try to get my students to understand what SD is all about, as well as asking some weird Google questions. This has to be one of the questions for next semester. Eventually this will be in the Google answers as well.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:31 PM

Sometime around the late-1980s I watched a movie set it World War II (it was color, maybe filmed mid-1970s?).
I have no clue who starred in it but from what I recall of the plot, a small number of GIs parachute behind German lines to kill a high-ranking Nazi. They end up teaming up with a traveling circus whose members offer to use their scheduled performance for German soldiers (which the target will attend) as a distraction to smuggle a bomb into a theater.
The bits I remember:
1. One of the GIs' parachutes gets tangled in a tree, he's too high to just drop and no one can reach him to pull him to a branch. The circus strongman/giant appears, holds out his arms and tells the GI to go ahead and drop, he'll catch him.

2. When they're setting up at the theater, a guard insists on inspecting the box the bomb's hidden in. One of the acrobats tries to insist he'll ruin the "surprise" at the end of the show. He opens it and the strongman's young son, dressed like a Harlequin, pops out and does a little tumbling act.

3. The ringmaster announces the troupe has prepared a special finale. While he's going through his spiel the other performers begin coming on stage and performing on a trampoline behind him. One by one, they jump out of view and crew members in the catwalk pull them up. The ringmaster trails off when he notices all his performers have failed to come down and announces they must have all jumped to "the Land of [Imaginary Place]" and he'll have to go get them before they can continue. The audience laughs and settles back to wait, while the circus crew and the GIs all run like hell out the back door before the bomb goes off.

I've tried searching for movies set in WWII involving circuses but nothing seems to fit.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess View Post
Sometime around the late-1980s I watched a movie set it World War II (it was color, maybe filmed mid-1970s?).
I have no clue who starred in it but from what I recall of the plot, a small number of GIs parachute behind German lines to kill a high-ranking Nazi. They end up teaming up with a traveling circus whose members offer to use their scheduled performance for German soldiers (which the target will attend) as a distraction to smuggle a bomb into a theater.
The bits I remember:
1. One of the GIs' parachutes gets tangled in a tree, he's too high to just drop and no one can reach him to pull him to a branch. The circus strongman/giant appears, holds out his arms and tells the GI to go ahead and drop, he'll catch him.

2. When they're setting up at the theater, a guard insists on inspecting the box the bomb's hidden in. One of the acrobats tries to insist he'll ruin the "surprise" at the end of the show. He opens it and the strongman's young son, dressed like a Harlequin, pops out and does a little tumbling act.

3. The ringmaster announces the troupe has prepared a special finale. While he's going through his spiel the other performers begin coming on stage and performing on a trampoline behind him. One by one, they jump out of view and crew members in the catwalk pull them up. The ringmaster trails off when he notices all his performers have failed to come down and announces they must have all jumped to "the Land of [Imaginary Place]" and he'll have to go get them before they can continue. The audience laughs and settles back to wait, while the circus crew and the GIs all run like hell out the back door before the bomb goes off.

I've tried searching for movies set in WWII involving circuses but nothing seems to fit.
WAG: It sounds like an episode of the horrible Dirty Dozen TV series produced by ... HBO? ... and starring Ben Bova, who replaced Telly Savalas, who replaced Lee Marvin as the leader of the DD in those horrible made-for-TV sequels of the original movie, filmed in Yugoslavia.

Last edited by terentii; 01-06-2014 at 05:17 PM..
Old 01-06-2014, 05:24 PM

50+ years ago, they used to show double features, and I remember going into the theater and seeing the last 5 minutes of the movie preceding the feature attraction (Swiss Family Robinson, -- I think)

So all I saw was this scene where this older woman, playing either a mom or grandma accidentally shot her son/grandson with a rifle. The young man (teen?) was mute I guess, but right after he was shot, he actually spoke some dying words, "Ya shot me, ma!" or something like that.

The shooting took place in a cabin, and was either in 1960 Appalachia or it was from a period western. For years I wondered if it was Spencer's Mountain, which was Earl Hamner's first pass at the Waltons, but I don't think it was.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakes3 View Post
For me it's a cartoon where two kids are in a blimp visiting various crazy worlds including one where it was a land of people with block heads.
Are you thinking of this?
Old 01-06-2014, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
WAG: It sounds like an episode of the horrible Dirty Dozen TV series produced by ... HBO? ...
You could be right ...

The Dirtiest Show on Earth
On a mission to assassinate high-ranking Nazi officers, the Dozen join a circus
Old 01-06-2014, 06:01 PM

This would'a been on non-cable tv in the late 80s/early 90s. I can't remember if it was a movie, a made-for-tv movie, or a tv show.

It starts of with a switched-at-birth plot, but while they were bring born, one of the kids was making the lights flicker. He goes home with the wrong parents, and grows up (I don't remember the middle) and, I guess comes into his x-men type power? I remember him finding out somehow that his parents weren't his birth parents and when he goes off to look for his birth parents he knows he can do things. At the end he finds a woman who had been healed by his mom.

Last edited by Achren; 01-06-2014 at 06:02 PM..
Old 01-06-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
WAG: It sounds like an episode of the horrible Dirty Dozen TV series produced by ... HBO? ... and starring Ben Bova, who replaced Telly Savalas, who replaced Lee Marvin as the leader of the DD in those horrible made-for-TV sequels of the original movie, filmed in Yugoslavia.
Hmm. Could be. When typing up the description I realized this probably would have been the first serious movie I sat all the way through. It's more likely I just watched an hour-long program than a feature-length movie.

I remember it was aired on a Sunday afternoon-maybe they dumped some episodes as filler.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess View Post
Hmm. Could be. When typing up the description I realized this probably would have been the first serious movie I sat all the way through. It's more likely I just watched an hour-long program than a feature-length movie.

I remember it was aired on a Sunday afternoon-maybe they dumped some episodes as filler.
Looking at the IMDB entry, I see the actor's name was Ben Murphy. D'oh!

It also looks like the film is a full hour long, so it may have been aired as a 90-minute show with commercials included.

I only watched about 20 minutes of one episode before I got up and changed the channel. The line "Man, you were awesome up there on that horse!" left a permanent bad taste in my mouth.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:29 PM

My wisp of a memory is of a film that I think was made for TV. This would have been early to mid 70's and I don't recall much. I don't think my parents would have let me watch it so I may have been spying while I was supposed to be in bed.

It was in color and took place in contemporary times. I remember a big house (don't all movies have big houses?) and wood floors in particular. The wood floor thing may have been a dance studio type room though, because I also have a vision of a young woman in a leotard, dancing or exercising. She had long dark hair that she wore in a pony tail. She may have been haunted by music (or it could have just been the sound track) and it seems like she would hear her name being said over and over by a woman's voice. Oddly enough, I don't recall what the name was, considering how the scene haunted me so. I almost want to say it was Jacqueline, but part of me is thinking Pamela. Whaaaaa?

The part that made the scariest impression on me, and which I may have totally misinterpreted, was her looking at marble / plaster statues when her name was being said and I took it to mean someone had been entombed in the statues. There also may have been an older, Bette Davis type evil matriarch.

All of these elements are pretty cliché and could possibly be muddled memories of several different films, but I don't think so. I'm almost positive it's not Let's Scare Jessica to Death based on that film's synopsis, but I've not seen it so if anyone has please tell me if that is the film so I can watch it and get this memory shrapnel out of my head.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I am reasonably sure it wasn't Phantoms. I watched it several years ago, but I will watch it again to be sure.
I remember the scene you describe from the book, and a similar but different scene from the movie. The movie looked nothing like the "poster" on IMDB.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:07 PM

I just found mine, thanks to Spoon's link. It was Scream, Pretty Peggy and I can't believe how many of the details that I thought I was hallucinating are actually correct, including the Bette Davis like matriarch that was indeed Bette Davis I can't wait to check out the list and see what other memories I can stir up.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
My wisp of a memory is of a film that I think was made for TV. This would have been early to mid 70's and I don't recall much. I don't think my parents would have let me watch it so I may have been spying while I was supposed to be in bed.

It was in color and took place in contemporary times. I remember a big house (don't all movies have big houses?) and wood floors in particular. The wood floor thing may have been a dance studio type room though, because I also have a vision of a young woman in a leotard, dancing or exercising. She had long dark hair that she wore in a pony tail. She may have been haunted by music (or it could have just been the sound track) and it seems like she would hear her name being said over and over by a woman's voice. Oddly enough, I don't recall what the name was, considering how the scene haunted me so. I almost want to say it was Jacqueline, but part of me is thinking Pamela. Whaaaaa?

The part that made the scariest impression on me, and which I may have totally misinterpreted, was her looking at marble / plaster statues when her name was being said and I took it to mean someone had been entombed in the statues. There also may have been an older, Bette Davis type evil matriarch.

All of these elements are pretty cliché and could possibly be muddled memories of several different films, but I don't think so. I'm almost positive it's not Let's Scare Jessica to Death based on that film's synopsis, but I've not seen it so if anyone has please tell me if that is the film so I can watch it and get this memory shrapnel out of my head.
Well...Let's Scare Jessica to Death does have her name whispered a lot. Pamela Franklin is in "Satan's School for Girl's"...I'm just throwing stuff at the wall. Your synopsis does sound familiar.

edit: nvm. I see your post above.

Last edited by Dale Sams; 01-06-2014 at 10:08 PM..
Old 01-06-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallet View Post
This might be hopeless, but here goes:

Seen in the 1960's, on a b&w TV in New York City.
It had the feel of a live action show, but definitely for kids
It was a retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk, but then things get fuzzy - the hero finds his dad, long thought dead, up in the giant's lair with amnesia.
Upon seeing his son, the dad suddenly remembers that he's supposed to be a dentist (!) There was also a lot of running around with a real live goose under their arms, and the giant chasing them.

Strange, but I've been thinking about this movie for ages!
Thanks,
Wallet
This?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0445991/
Old 01-07-2014, 03:01 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Wow, that must be it! It doesn't mention Jack's dad being a dentist, but at http://www.mtishows.com/show_detail.asp?showid=000022m it does mention the Giant strapping Jack into a chair and forcing him to take a truth serum (this seems so familiar, although a strange twist for a children's show). It actually won an Emmy in 1966.

I wish there was a way to see the actual show, but from the description this must be it.

Thanks so much for finding this!
Old 01-07-2014, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
Good to know that there's two of us at least who remember this movie. (And I guess I was wrong on Happy's film, but I'm glad he got the correct answer.)

As an aside, an old friend was a private pilot. I flew many times with him in his Cessna 172. He'd insist that I follow him during his pre-flight checkout: fuel in wing tanks, trim tabs set, flaps responding, rudder working, and so on. He'd also have a look at the engine--but that was one thing I didn't want to go near. Because it was next to the propellor, and I'd seen Family Flight.
I have a very vague memory of seeing what I assume is this movie when I was a kid. I didn't remember the title and the only part I really remember is the father being injured by the propeller. I also remember a scene where they kill and cook a snake to eat, but I'm not 100% sure that's from this movie.