The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 01-07-2014, 06:27 AM

I've got one I saw the beginning of on TV, but have never been able to ID...it would have been around 1998 (also right around the cutoff date for considering myself a "kid" at the time. Depressingly enough.), on US TV.

It starts out with some knights trudging through a sandstorm in the desert, lead by a monk who looks rather like Rasputin. (The general look actually reminded me quite a bit of the trailers to Bungie's old "Myth" game) They rush to some kind of cave/catacomb with a barred gate, where some evil guy (I think he was a vampire or a demon or something) is inside, about to sacrifice a baby (IIRC, the baby was actually a newborn prince) in some evil ritual, and gloats to the heroes that they won't get to him in time to stop him.

In response, the leader of the heroes (he might have been a king or something—I think he had fancier armor) orders an archer up to the door, who takes aim, and plugs the evil guy with a couple of arrows, buying the good guys enough time to get the door open, save the baby, and dump the evil guy in a crypt or a well, and have the monk seal him in alive.

The next scene, however, skips ahead in time to...the modern day, in what I think was a New York (LA?) police precinct, with what I'm assuming was to be the movie's real hero talking with his partner.

I'm kinda assuming that the next major plot point was going to involve a security guard getting mysteriously murdered the night before a major museum exhibit's opening, but that's just an educated guess.

After that—not much detail is available on my part. It was in color, in English, and by the general film quality and style, I'd say it was made somewhere between the mid-80s and the mid-90s.

I'd just kinda like to know for certain that I didn't just hallucinate the damned thing.
Advertisements  
Old 01-07-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Maybe this film? Mineo would have been 18 when it was released.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonka_(film)
No, that's not it. The boy was much younger. I don't think he was much more than 12 or so. He was either American Indian or Indian though, I think.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallet View Post
Wow, that must be it! . . .
That's the first thing I thought of, but there's no live goose in it. There's an actress playing a goose. She does a song, "Oh, them golden eggs! Oh, them golden eggs! You can't break 'em, even if you drop them on the floor. . . ."
Old 01-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

I remember a movie starring Kim Basinger where the very final scene had her in a hospital/morgue setting. The doctor pulled back a sheet to reveal a body - when Kim saw it, her hands rose to her mouth in shock... and froze.

Movie over.

I only saw that one 30-second snippet in the pre-DVR days and was not able to find out the name of the movie. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:58 AM

A young incorigable boy about 16 was having problems at home but got hooked up with a dog kennel training bird dogs and found his place in life. About 1948 I would say.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
I remember a movie starring Kim Basinger where the very final scene had her in a hospital/morgue setting. The doctor pulled back a sheet to reveal a body - when Kim saw it, her hands rose to her mouth in shock... and froze.

Movie over.

I only saw that one 30-second snippet in the pre-DVR days and was not able to find out the name of the movie. Any help would be appreciated.
Well she was in the Tom Petty video Mary Jane's Last Dance, where Tom Petty was a morgue assistant and she was a dead body, and at the end it freezes on her floating in the ocean in a wedding dress...
Old 01-07-2014, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Naw, that wasn't it. Researching it and it may have been Killjoy. Bonus feature: looks like the DVD box has the shot of Basinger that I remembered... what are the damned odds of that?

Now looking deeper... it's a 1981 made-for-TV movie that was put on DVD. But the DVD is hailed as being in widescreen. Wouldn't that just f-up the aspect ratios, or is it a way to tell the purchaser "there's gonna be a lot of black bars on this 'un"?

Last edited by JohnT; 01-07-2014 at 12:39 PM..
Old 01-07-2014, 02:10 PM

When did it come out? Probably mid to late 80s. I saw it on cable a lot when I was a kid.
Who was in it? Don't remember any of the actors specifically.
What plot if any do you remember? It was a kind of Lord of the Rings, Dungeons and Dragons type knockoff, with at least elves if not also dwarves and orcs and so forth. An elf for sure, though, who, through the magic of cheap editing, seemed to be able to rapid-fire several arrows with almost machine gun rapidity.
What was special to you about it? At the time, pretty much anything like Dungeons and Dragons in a film seemed more awesome than anything in the world.

Any other clues you can think of? I know for certain it's not:
Any of the Conan movies
Red Sonya
Beastmaster

I'm not sure if it's one of these, as it's been a long time since I've seen them:
Legend
Willow
LadyHawke
Old 01-07-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoorex View Post
When did it come out? Probably mid to late 80s. I saw it on cable a lot when I was a kid.
Who was in it? Don't remember any of the actors specifically.
What plot if any do you remember? It was a kind of Lord of the Rings, Dungeons and Dragons type knockoff, with at least elves if not also dwarves and orcs and so forth. An elf for sure, though, who, through the magic of cheap editing, seemed to be able to rapid-fire several arrows with almost machine gun rapidity.
What was special to you about it? At the time, pretty much anything like Dungeons and Dragons in a film seemed more awesome than anything in the world.

Any other clues you can think of? I know for certain it's not:
Any of the Conan movies
Red Sonya
Beastmaster

I'm not sure if it's one of these, as it's been a long time since I've seen them:
Legend
Willow
LadyHawke
Nevermind; I found it! Hawk the Slayer. I need to find this again to experience the ultimate in cheese, apparently.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

That would be Hawk The Slayer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORXmKxe-iHk

Example of rapid fire at 1m40s

Edit - Ninja'd

Last edited by Peter Morris; 01-07-2014 at 02:20 PM..
Old 01-07-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j666 View Post
I remember the scene you describe from the book, and a similar but different scene from the movie. The movie looked nothing like the "poster" on IMDB.
Thank you. I think you are probably right. I just barely remember the movie.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:22 PM

I remember a movie from the 70's or circa 1980, I saw it on TV in the early 90's.

It involved a pet turtle that somehow became a monster. The protagonists had it as a pet as kids and they marked their initials on its shell. Years later it was huge and killing folks. I seem to remember the girl's father was a scientist and he had a laboratory by the ocean. At the end of the movie there was a cheesy "reveal" scene where we see the initials on the monster turtle's shell.

OMG, found it:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077223/

The Bermuda Depths (1978), with Carl Weathers!

Amazing how useful the keyword search on IMDB can be.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:28 PM

Found it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Straight View Post
Horror movie seen on tv in the 80s.

Film stock quality pegs it in the 60s-70s.

The monster is a human-shaped mound of mud...which bursts into flame in contact with salt.
The World Beyond
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzjM40LU8XI
Old 01-08-2014, 03:02 AM

I remember an Afterschool Special sometime during the mid 80s. It was a dramatization of the the true story of a man on death row for murdering a gun store owner. He made a video to try to sway young people from making the same mistakes he made. His time on the video is interspersed with the film of the actors recreating points of his life, and how he ended up murdering a family man who owned a gun store. When he shoots the guy goes down. He approaches and takes aim and pumps another bullet into the man who cries out in pain. Then his children start running into the store area screaming "DADDY DADDY WHAT HAPPENED!?" The trigger man and his partner flee but are eventually apprehended, and yes he does get executed.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

In case anyone's interested, some movie buffs put together a listing of the frequently asked movie questions. Possibly you might have had some of the same questions. Enjoy!
Old 01-08-2014, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker View Post
In case anyone's interested, some movie buffs put together a listing of the frequently asked movie questions. Possibly you might have had some of the same questions. Enjoy!
And it cites Cecil Adams for the Loony Tunes/ Merrie Melody question
Old 01-08-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldar View Post
When did it come out?
Who was in it?
What plot if any do you remember?
What was special to you about it?

Any other clues you can think of?

Mid to late 70's...saw it in the movie theater.

No clue on any of the actors

A family in a flying saucer crashes on Earth. Hide their flying saucer at the bottom of a lake. Can't remember if only the father leaves or the entire family leaves. Kinda remember at least one person staying behind on the ship. Seem to remember them being chased back to the lake and ending with the flying saucer coming out of the lake.

I seem to remember more about the movie poster than the movie itself...the movie poster was the earth with a flying saucer stuck in the side.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Is this the one where the Mud Man reaches a hand inside a door and gets it cut off (either by a hatchet or knife or the door itself)? If it is, it's the first movie I ever remember watching and then running to my room in fear at the point that the arm gets cut off!
Old 01-08-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoorex View Post
Is this the one where the Mud Man reaches a hand inside a door and gets it cut off (either by a hatchet or knife or the door itself)? If it is, it's the first movie I ever remember watching and then running to my room in fear at the point that the arm gets cut off!
Nevermind, I found the scene that nearly scarred me for life!!!

Mud Man Loses Arm in Door

(I was 5 years old when this first came out)

Last edited by Cuckoorex; 01-08-2014 at 03:03 PM..
Old 01-08-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwards_beard View Post

A family in a flying saucer crashes on Earth. Hide their flying saucer at the bottom of a lake. Can't remember if only the father leaves or the entire family leaves. Kinda remember at least one person staying behind on the ship. Seem to remember them being chased back to the lake and ending with the flying saucer coming out of the lake.

I seem to remember more about the movie poster than the movie itself...the movie poster was the earth with a flying saucer stuck in the side.
Was it UFO: Target Earth?
http://classicscifi.blogspot.com/201...earth.html?m=1
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0131624/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFh-3yA2qag
Old 01-08-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
No, and No. It was a short film not a feature film. And definitely not Yellow Submarine, a movie I knew well.
I feel like I've seen this as well.
Man, HBO used to show some great filler.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:56 PM

When did it come out? I think in the early 1990s, when I was in late middle school or early high school. I think it was a CBS TV movie. (Remember those?)

Who was in it? I don't know

What plot if any do you remember? Three hijackers take over an airplane. The passengers stage a revolt. At the end, they show the legs of the hijackers after they've been hanged using seat belts.

What was special to you about it? The awesome way that justice was served
Old 01-09-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponch8 View Post
When did it come out? I think in the early 1990s, when I was in late middle school or early high school. I think it was a CBS TV movie. (Remember those?)

Who was in it? I don't know

What plot if any do you remember? Three hijackers take over an airplane. The passengers stage a revolt. At the end, they show the legs of the hijackers after they've been hanged using seat belts.

What was special to you about it? The awesome way that justice was served
Hostage Flight?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089301/...&ref_=m_ft_dsk
Old 01-10-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Martyr View Post
That was it!
Old 01-14-2014, 04:51 PM

No...that wasn't it. It was more along the lines of a disney family movie like "The Cat From Outer Space" (I'm so ashamed to have just mentioned that movie)
Old 01-14-2014, 07:26 PM

I think I remember something about this movie:

The space man picks up a grenade about to blow, and merely cups his hands around it, containing the explosion.

A scene starts with a neighborhood boy proudly telling spaceman he managed to go a whole year without crying...ends with the boy sobbing in spaceman's arms.

At the end of the movie, spaceman's human contacts help secure him a legal identity, including social security #, and sinking his spaceship at the bottom of a lake.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwards_beard View Post

Earthbound. I remember seeing this too, most likely on TV. Here's the poster.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Earthbound. I remember seeing this too, most likely on TV. Here's the poster.
Wow! I do believe this is it. Not even a hit on youtube. And it was starring Burl Ives... (shudder)
Old 01-15-2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
I googled 'skinny fat japanese kid movie' and, I shit you not, came back with "Skinny and Fatty" They synopses included the line "Quite popular in the United States due to repeated showings on The CBS Children's Film Festival in the 1960s and 70s. "
So I'm guessing that's it.
That must be it. That was the first Children's Film Festival film I saw, and the only one I remember clearly. I have a vague memory of one from Canada about a young boy who was a lumberjack, not sure if it was part of that series.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:14 AM

Ok, I need help. Just found this site when searching for this movie. It must have been late 80's early 90's. All i remember is a mars-like land....a guy who falls into sand that is quicksand and these turtle-like animals that can kill. The guy realizes that the turtle shells are great for shelter and he makes a shelter out of them.
Sorry for the little details. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-08-2014, 03:58 AM
Charter Member

I think that's Enemy Mine, with Louis Gossett Jr and Dennis Quaid.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

There was a WWII war movie, probably came out in the mid/late 60's, about a U.S. Navy cargo ship in the Pacific Theater with a good (if unpopular) commander and a glum crew. He does everything he can to "whip them into shape," but to little avail. So he orders them to build him a small sailboat, and succeeds in bringing the crew together, if only in their hatred of him.

They wind up with a "real mission," delivering supplies in support of an island invasion. where their ship gets pretty shot up; the crew is working heroically to save their vessel, but keep getting strafed by the Japanese fighters and generally shot up pretty bad, so the captain actually launches his sailboat and sails around his ship to draw enemy fire. The captain, IIRC, dies, but the crew saves the ship.

Before anyone replies and says, "You must be thinking of and/or misremembering Mr. Roberts!" I assure you it is not Mr. Roberts. I have seen, and have a copy of, the Fonda/Cagney/Lemmon version of Mr. Roberts, and know that movie fairly well. The one I refer to above is not Mr. Roberts.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awldune View Post
I remember a movie from the 70's or circa 1980, I saw it on TV in the early 90's.

It involved a pet turtle that somehow became a monster. The protagonists had it as a pet as kids and they marked their initials on its shell. Years later it was huge and killing folks. I seem to remember the girl's father was a scientist and he had a laboratory by the ocean. At the end of the movie there was a cheesy "reveal" scene where we see the initials on the monster turtle's shell.

OMG, found it:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077223/

The Bermuda Depths (1978), with Carl Weathers!

Amazing how useful the keyword search on IMDB can be.
I think there's a whole generation of people (me included back in the early 90s) where one of the first things they did when they discovered the Internet was find the title of this movie. Everyone who grew up in the 70s remembered the story and ending but no one remembered the title.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:53 PM
BANNED

Rik Mayall from The Young Ones in a B/W short film made (I assume) in the 80s. I cant remember anything else. I saw it in 1991. I believe it may have been on MTV. Can't seem to be able to find anything about it anywhere.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTank View Post
There was a WWII war movie, probably came out in the mid/late 60's, about a U.S. Navy cargo ship in the Pacific Theater with a good (if unpopular) commander and a glum crew. He does everything he can to "whip them into shape," but to little avail. So he orders them to build him a small sailboat, and succeeds in bringing the crew together, if only in their hatred of him.

They wind up with a "real mission," delivering supplies in support of an island invasion. where their ship gets pretty shot up; the crew is working heroically to save their vessel, but keep getting strafed by the Japanese fighters and generally shot up pretty bad, so the captain actually launches his sailboat and sails around his ship to draw enemy fire. The captain, IIRC, dies, but the crew saves the ship.

Before anyone replies and says, "You must be thinking of and/or misremembering Mr. Roberts!" I assure you it is not Mr. Roberts. I have seen, and have a copy of, the Fonda/Cagney/Lemmon version of Mr. Roberts, and know that movie fairly well. The one I refer to above is not Mr. Roberts.
Maybe this one, also with Jack Lemmon?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wac...the_Army_(film)
Old 03-08-2014, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Maybe this one, also with Jack Lemmon?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wac...the_Army_(film)

I may be misremembering stuff. I've seen it twice, sometime in late 70's, once again in 1995, in Germany of all places, with dubbed voices and no ending credits to give away anything important like "name of movie," or "starring" to clue me in.

But "Wackiest Ship In The Army" ain't it; I'd have recognized Jack Lemmon, and done an IMDB search against his credits to find it.

Thanks, though; I may give "Wackiest..." a gander.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishybreath View Post
Rik Mayall from The Young Ones in a B/W short film made (I assume) in the 80s. I cant remember anything else. I saw it in 1991. I believe it may have been on MTV. Can't seem to be able to find anything about it anywhere.
That was probably a "Comic Strip" movie, and the only black and white one I have found that fits the time and has Rik in it is The Beat Generation.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTank View Post
I may be misremembering stuff. I've seen it twice, sometime in late 70's, once again in 1995, in Germany of all places, with dubbed voices and no ending credits to give away anything important like "name of movie," or "starring" to clue me in.

But "Wackiest Ship In The Army" ain't it; I'd have recognized Jack Lemmon, and done an IMDB search against his credits to find it.

Thanks, though; I may give "Wackiest..." a gander.
How 'bout Ensign Pulver?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058060/

BTW, here's another unknown title:

Late 60s-early 70s film quality.
Tough guy displays his prowess by sticking two fingers in a shot glass and shattering the glass by "scissor-kicking" his fingers apart.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
I got one.

When did it come out? Don't know.
Who was in it? Don't know.
What plot if any do you remember? A plane crashed into an island with a family on it and they converted it into a boat to get off the island.
What was special to you about it? I don't know.

Any other clues you can think of? I believe it was a TV movie.
The Glass Bottom Boat? I think it starred Doris Day. 1964 maybe.

Or Robinson Caruso?

jigsaw
Old 03-08-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post

Movie over.

Nine and a Half Weeks?

jigsaw
Old 03-08-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Zeus View Post
I think I saw this movie on television around 2000. It probably came out some time before then. I only caught the beginning of it. What I definitely remember is there was a scene in which the housekeeper is dead on the kitchen floor, blood pooling around her. What I think I remember (I am not sure if this actually happened) is there was a new family who moved to the house. One of them came back to find the dead housekeeper.

I tried searching for the movie, and the only one which had any semblance to what I remembered is What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice? (1969), which I have seen described as a dark comedy, and I remember the movie being described as one as well. Unfortunately, it just doesn't sound quite right.
Could it be "What's the Matter with Alice?" Came out around 1970. Starred Debbie Reynolds and Shelly Winters.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:20 PM

This has been driving me crazy for decades. I saw the movie in the movies -- the Matinee. It was a science fiction film, possibly British. The man in it looked like Walter Pidgeon, but probably wasn't him. The first part of the film is B/W. It's about a man who possibly is a Scientist. I think it was made in 1963 or 1964 because I remember the hairstyles. You see the mother and daughter (and son?) walking through the garden. There is a twin planet. Now the film is in color. Again you see the mother and daughter walking through the garden. The father has found a land where everyone is a twin of people on earth. He goes into a building and meets his own twin. But the twin is evil and is going to do something to them. Someone has suggested "Land of Two Suns." But I read a synopsis of it. It isn't the movie. I saw this twice when I was about 6 or 7. Never saw it again. Could someone give me a clue? Thank you.

jigsaw
Old 03-08-2014, 10:50 PM

I only saw a few minutes of this movie so I can't describe it very well. My family was staying in a hotel when I saw it, and I think the movie was on HBO or another cable channel rather than on a broadcast network. Every so often I remember it and wonder what movie it could have been.

When did it come out? Not sure, but I saw it in the late '80s or early '90s and didn't seem terribly old to me at the time. I'd guess it was from no earlier than the '70s, and probably the '80s.

What plot if any do you remember? I don't remember the plot but the setting was Ye Olden Times. As a kid I took it to be the Middle Ages, but I don't know if that's accurate. It is my recollection that it was a historic setting and not a fantasy setting. There were some men in armor on some kind of quest or mission.

What was special to you about it? The scene that's stuck in my mind all these years is that the characters were in a boat or raft and singing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat".

For years I thought this may have been Ladyhawke, which I'd also seen as a kid, but I watched Ladyhawke again when I was older and that's not it. There may have been a character in the mystery movie that reminded me of the Matthew Broderick character in Ladyhawke, though. I feel like the mystery movie was not primarily a comedy but a drama or adventure movie with some comedic elements,
Old 03-08-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
How 'bout Ensign Pulver?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058060/
I saw this with my dad when it first came out. Wasn't anything like the description of the mystery film.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
I only saw a few minutes of this movie so I can't describe it very well. My family was staying in a hotel when I saw it, and I think the movie was on HBO or another cable channel rather than on a broadcast network. Every so often I remember it and wonder what movie it could have been.

When did it come out? Not sure, but I saw it in the late '80s or early '90s and didn't seem terribly old to me at the time. I'd guess it was from no earlier than the '70s, and probably the '80s.

What plot if any do you remember? I don't remember the plot but the setting was Ye Olden Times. As a kid I took it to be the Middle Ages, but I don't know if that's accurate. It is my recollection that it was a historic setting and not a fantasy setting. There were some men in armor on some kind of quest or mission.

What was special to you about it? The scene that's stuck in my mind all these years is that the characters were in a boat or raft and singing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat".

For years I thought this may have been Ladyhawke, which I'd also seen as a kid, but I watched Ladyhawke again when I was older and that's not it. There may have been a character in the mystery movie that reminded me of the Matthew Broderick character in Ladyhawke, though. I feel like the mystery movie was not primarily a comedy but a drama or adventure movie with some comedic elements,
I haven't seen this movie since it first came out, but could it be your mystery film?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jabberwocky_(film)
Old 03-09-2014, 04:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw View Post
This has been driving me crazy for decades. I saw the movie in the movies -- the Matinee. It was a science fiction film, possibly British. The man in it looked like Walter Pidgeon, but probably wasn't him. The first part of the film is B/W. It's about a man who possibly is a Scientist. I think it was made in 1963 or 1964 because I remember the hairstyles. You see the mother and daughter (and son?) walking through the garden. There is a twin planet. Now the film is in color. Again you see the mother and daughter walking through the garden. The father has found a land where everyone is a twin of people on earth. He goes into a building and meets his own twin. But the twin is evil and is going to do something to them. Someone has suggested "Land of Two Suns." But I read a synopsis of it. It isn't the movie. I saw this twice when I was about 6 or 7. Never saw it again. Could someone give me a clue? Thank you.

jigsaw
Could it be Solaris?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069293/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solaris_%281972_film%29

Scientist - check
looks like Walter Pidgeon - sorta
Alien twins of people - check
mixture of colour and monochrome - check
Old 03-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Away All Boats. From 1956. That may have been screwing up my previous searches; not looking far enough back.

Doesn't help none that I couldn't remember anyone who'd starred in it.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
That was probably a "Comic Strip" movie, and the only black and white one I have found that fits the time and has Rik in it is The Beat Generation.
Holy shit! That's it! Thank you so much. I've been wondering about that off and on for twenty years. I am forever indebted to you.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Could it be Solaris?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069293/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solaris_%281972_film%29

Scientist - check
looks like Walter Pidgeon - sorta
Alien twins of people - check
mixture of colour and monochrome - check
I checked Solaris, which came out in 1970. That's not it. This film came out in the early '60's.
Thanks for trying.

Last edited by jigsaw; 03-10-2014 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: Add a sentence
Old 03-10-2014, 02:12 PM

I saw a movie in the mid-1970's. It was shown in my school, but I've never seen it anywhere else. It was in color, and the plot was about Loch Ness (or possibly some lake that was just like it but in the U.S.) which was supposed to have a legendary monster in it. A businessman was buying up land around the loch (lake) and to save their homes or preserve the environment or something, a boy and a girl pretended that they'd seen the monster, which got a lot of publicity. (I don't think they built a fake monster, I'm a big fan of the book The Mad Scientists' Club and would have recognized that plot.) Anyway, the businessman was suspicious, and followed the kids (who were in a rowboat) in a rowboat of his own, and somehow found proof that they were lying. (Maybe they did make a fake monster?) He loudly rejoiced that, "There's no monster in this lake!" (Or something.) Needless to say, the next shot was of a sea monster angrily lifting up its head from the lake floor, surfacing, and scaring the living daylights out of the businessman. He gave up his plan (don't think he died) and the day was saved.

Any ideas?