The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 03-10-2014, 07:32 PM
terentii terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendarii Dame View Post
I saw a movie in the mid-1970's. It was shown in my school, but I've never seen it anywhere else. It was in color, and the plot was about Loch Ness (or possibly some lake that was just like it but in the U.S.) which was supposed to have a legendary monster in it. A businessman was buying up land around the loch (lake) and to save their homes or preserve the environment or something, a boy and a girl pretended that they'd seen the monster, which got a lot of publicity. (I don't think they built a fake monster, I'm a big fan of the book The Mad Scientists' Club and would have recognized that plot.) Anyway, the businessman was suspicious, and followed the kids (who were in a rowboat) in a rowboat of his own, and somehow found proof that they were lying. (Maybe they did make a fake monster?) He loudly rejoiced that, "There's no monster in this lake!" (Or something.) Needless to say, the next shot was of a sea monster angrily lifting up its head from the lake floor, surfacing, and scaring the living daylights out of the businessman. He gave up his plan (don't think he died) and the day was saved.

Any ideas?
Just a thought: the Disney adaptation of "The Strange Sea Monster of Strawberry Lake" was nothing like the chapter in TMSC. I didn't watch it all the way through, since I found it a huge disappointment, but I do remember that Burgess Meredith seemed to be the main character. You might want to check that out....
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #152  
Old 03-10-2014, 07:59 PM
tapu tapu is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,933
These:


1. Saw it early to mid 60s; I don't think it was too old at that time. I'd woken up with a bad dream so my aunt let me watch a movie with her and my older cousin. It was funny, but the only scene I can remember is a swimming pool filled with suds/bubbles. And maybe trucks with loads of bubbles that drifted up and away as they drove.

2. Mid to late 60s, b/w I think. Little girl walking the railroad tracks, singing a sad song. She meets, like, a city guy and tells him a story about a big house she used to live in and her mother, her sister, and her sister's "suitor." This may have been set in New Orleans because there was something made of the fact that you can't bury people underground there.

Anyone? Anyone?
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 03-10-2014, 08:26 PM
Earl Snake-Hips Tucker Earl Snake-Hips Tucker is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendarii Dame View Post
I saw a movie in the mid-1970's. . . Any ideas?
Earlier thread about The Johnstown Monster (1971). Possibly this is it.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 03-10-2014, 08:57 PM
j666 j666 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapu View Post
2. Mid to late 60s, b/w I think. Little girl walking the railroad tracks, singing a sad song. She meets, like, a city guy and tells him a story about a big house she used to live in and her mother, her sister, and her sister's "suitor." This may have been set in New Orleans because there was something made of the fact that you can't bury people underground there.
Did the girl's older sister die of consumption? Did talk about how she did not just fade away gracefully, but hacked her life out? I don't remember the name ...
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 03-10-2014, 09:31 PM
j666 j666 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapu View Post
2. Mid to late 60s, b/w I think. Little girl walking the railroad tracks, singing a sad song. She meets, like, a city guy and tells him a story about a big house she used to live in and her mother, her sister, and her sister's "suitor." This may have been set in New Orleans because there was something made of the fact that you can't bury people underground there.

Anyone? Anyone?
This Property Is Condemned - Wiki Link


IMDB Link
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 03-11-2014, 07:41 AM
tapu tapu is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,933
THAT'S IT!


Oh, wow, it has Natalie Wood in it. And a lot of other stars. Thank you so much--I'm going to watch it tonight.


From the Wikilink:
This Property Is Condemned is a 1966 American drama film starring Natalie Wood, Robert Redford, Kate Reid, Charles Bronson and Mary Badham and directed by Sydney Pollack. The screenplay was written by Francis Ford Coppola, Fred Coe and Edith Sommer. The story was adapted from the 1946 one-act play of the same name by Tennessee Williams. The film was released by Paramount Pictures.

No wonder it was so good! Funny that I never saw it or heard of it again until now....

Last edited by tapu; 03-11-2014 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 03-11-2014, 08:30 AM
Dale Sams Dale Sams is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by j666 View Post
GD!!! I was so close to getting to answer one....damndamndamn
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 03-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Enright3 Enright3 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 6,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post
I think I've very possibly mixed up a couple of the details by now, but mine is a western that I remember seeing at a drive in. I think it was 1962 or so.

The memory that sticks out is the young boy in the movie. He was a pretty central character, but that's all I recall. I developed a huge crush on him. He was dark haired and probably had olive toned skin. I was about six years old and thought he was beautiful.

I keep thinking he played the part of Hadji in the jonny quest show, but can't find anything that isn't animated, so I have no idea what the movie actually was.
Death Rides a Horse?
It's about a boy who witnesses his family get slaughtered then gets revenge on the murderers as he turns older.
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 03-11-2014, 07:03 PM
j666 j666 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapu View Post
[/B]No wonder it was so good! Funny that I never saw it or heard of it again until now....
Terribly depressing though, wasn't it?

I still remember that little girl, kicking at stones around the railroad tracks, talking about consumption isn't I can't remember what term she used.

She was Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird. That's probably why my mother let me watch it.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 03-11-2014, 09:10 PM
tapu tapu is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,933
Ya, it was a major downer. It captivated me though.

After seeing the little girl's face on IMDB, I went to Mockingbird because I thought she looked familiar.

Thanks, j666. Thanks, Dale Sams, too.
Reply With Quote
  #161  
Old 03-11-2014, 09:21 PM
j666 j666 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
I would like help recognize a young actress and the movie.

The period was mid-century or earlier. I have a sense of Southern or rural locale.

She was young, earlier teens. Light hair, in two braids, with straight bangs (fringe). Rather thin, very pale.

She wore a light knee length skirt and blouse that buttoned up the front.

She had a slightly odd smile and general sense of being awkward and endearing, but not in a hopeful, positive sense.

Is this ringing any bells for anyone?
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 03-11-2014, 09:43 PM
Lumpy Lumpy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 15,387
I've asked about this one before but I'll give it another go: I saw like the last half-hour of a movie on TV so I have no idea what the title is. A little girl is wandering around what looks like the 1920s or 1930s rural South, and is on the run alternately from witches and zombies (who are enemies of each other).
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 03-12-2014, 08:50 AM
Dendarii Dame Dendarii Dame is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Just a thought: the Disney adaptation of "The Strange Sea Monster of Strawberry Lake" was nothing like the chapter in TMSC. I didn't watch it all the way through, since I found it a huge disappointment, but I do remember that Burgess Meredith seemed to be the main character. You might want to check that out....
I checked it out, but it doesn't seem to be the one I remember. Thanks anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 03-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Joey P Joey P is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 26,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
I've asked about this one before but I'll give it another go: I saw like the last half-hour of a movie on TV so I have no idea what the title is. A little girl is wandering around what looks like the 1920s or 1930s rural South, and is on the run alternately from witches and zombies (who are enemies of each other).
The Wizard Of Oz?
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 03-12-2014, 11:52 AM
elfkin477 elfkin477 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NH
Posts: 21,649
I think some of us could keep this thread with multiple movies that have fallen into our mental void... anyway, I thought of this thread because someone in real life suggested a movie I've mostly forgotten might be Bell, Book, and Candle, which I saw last night. Totally not it.

When did it come out? Back when movies were in black and white
Who was in it? No idea.
What plot if any do you remember? A woman, I think was a witch, speaks to her mother's ghost. Mom's ghost was represented as...smoke? Like from a candle or the fire place? The male lead, probably her father or husband, doesn't approve.
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 03-12-2014, 07:14 PM
burpo the wonder mutt burpo the wonder mutt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
You better grab a sandwich and a beer:

When did it come out? Saw it on TV circa 1970; it was in color, so 2 or 3 years older, max.
Who was in it? Not a clue; Mexican vampire film.
What plot if any do you remember? Although it was Mexican, the sets and interiors were a Bavarian village/lodge. Head Vampire drains many residents in village; instead of victims rising as un-dead, coffins pile up in streets/houses/catacombs(?). The Hero confronts Head Vampire in the lodge; HV turns into 6 foot tall bat and flies around the lodge. Hero grabs lance off the mantel, hurls it thru the air, and impales HV right thru the heart (on the fly, natch). The moment HV gets it, the lids of every coffin in town fly open and the un-dead rise, en masse, and wander thru town looking for whoever's left (can't be many). The Hero and the others in the lodge have put garlic in every window, door and, for all I know, the fireplace and toilets, too. The vampires have 3 inch fangs hanging outta their mouths, and their eyes are solid, glowing white, like if you took a face-on picture of your dog at night. That's all I remember of the "plot."

What was special to you about it? I had seen dozens of vampire films up to this point, and this spit in the face of every one of them. However, it was quite eerie in a Mario Bava kind of way.

Any other clues you can think of? Either this movie had a sequel, or they re-edited it to make a "second" film, OR it was one longer film sliced into two; the "sequel" had scenes that were not in the first film.

Had enough? If you're good, I'll tell you about "Universe of the Vampires," (not the IMdB listing) sometime. Now go fetch Grandpa some more bourbon.
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 03-13-2014, 08:50 AM
Stealth_Bragg Stealth_Bragg is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
How about a black and white film, made in the 40s or 50s? Saw it on TV many years ago. It's a Faustian tale about the devil making deals with people for their souls. The devil is an old guy tramp sort of fellah and the souls become moths or butterflies he keeps in a matchbox. One scene has someone throw an axe at him which he freezes in mid air before it hits, and it bursts into flame.....
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 03-13-2014, 11:35 AM
Hermione Hermione is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_Bragg View Post
How about a black and white film, made in the 40s or 50s? Saw it on TV many years ago. It's a Faustian tale about the devil making deals with people for their souls. The devil is an old guy tramp sort of fellah and the souls become moths or butterflies he keeps in a matchbox. One scene has someone throw an axe at him which he freezes in mid air before it hits, and it bursts into flame.....
I haven't seen the film version, but in the one-act play The Devil and Daniel Webster, "Mr. Scratch" keeps captive souls as moths in a box. Maybe this was the movie version of that?
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 03-13-2014, 12:12 PM
terentii terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermione View Post
I haven't seen the film version, but in the one-act play The Devil and Daniel Webster, "Mr. Scratch" keeps captive souls as moths in a box. Maybe this was the movie version of that?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Huston
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 03-13-2014, 12:26 PM
Dale Sams Dale Sams is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
You better grab a sandwich and a beer:

When did it come out? Saw it on TV circa 1970; it was in color, so 2 or 3 years older, max.
Who was in it? Not a clue; Mexican vampire film.
What plot if any do you remember? Although it was Mexican, the sets and interiors were a Bavarian village/lodge. Head Vampire drains many residents in village; instead of victims rising as un-dead, coffins pile up in streets/houses/catacombs(?). The Hero confronts Head Vampire in the lodge; HV turns into 6 foot tall bat and flies around the lodge. Hero grabs lance off the mantel, hurls it thru the air, and impales HV right thru the heart (on the fly, natch). The moment HV gets it, the lids of every coffin in town fly open and the un-dead rise, en masse, and wander thru town looking for whoever's left (can't be many). The Hero and the others in the lodge have put garlic in every window, door and, for all I know, the fireplace and toilets, too. The vampires have 3 inch fangs hanging outta their mouths, and their eyes are solid, glowing white, like if you took a face-on picture of your dog at night. That's all I remember of the "plot."

What was special to you about it? I had seen dozens of vampire films up to this point, and this spit in the face of every one of them. However, it was quite eerie in a Mario Bava kind of way.

Any other clues you can think of? Either this movie had a sequel, or they re-edited it to make a "second" film, OR it was one longer film sliced into two; the "sequel" had scenes that were not in the first film.

Had enough? If you're good, I'll tell you about "Universe of the Vampires," (not the IMdB listing) sometime. Now go fetch Grandpa some more bourbon.
I've seen tons of vampire flicks too (I'm downloading Horror Rises From the Tomb right now) and that does not ring a bell. It wouldn't even help if some Mexican Wrestlers showed up.
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 03-13-2014, 05:40 PM
burpo the wonder mutt burpo the wonder mutt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
*WARNING* THIS POST IS ONE, LONG OPEN SPOILER *WARNING*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
I've seen tons of vampire flicks too (I'm downloading Horror Rises From the Tomb right now) and that does not ring a bell. It wouldn't even help if some Mexican Wrestlers showed up.
Well, Dale Sams, now you've gone and done it; punishment for acknowledging my previous post is exposure, for everyone, to "Universe of the Vampires." And BTW, where's my bourbon?

I'm 99.9% sure the title was "Universe...," and not, "World...." IMdB has a "World...," and this is definitely not that one, and since the title I know is wrong (or translated incorrectly), then I feel it belongs here. I'll use the same format as before:

When did it come out? Saw it on TV circa 1970; it was B&W.
Who was in it? I 'unno; another Mexican vampire film.
What plot if any do you remember? Head Vampire has a castle on top of a mesa in the desert. Underneath the castle is a maze of caverns; in the middle is a deep pit with spikes in the bottom (pointing up, of course). Our Hero's brother (?) is creeping around in there for some reason, and is captured by the teeming horde of vampires that inhabit the caverns and tied to a post near the pit. An aside--there are tarantulas crawling everywhere; these Ts are each the size of a dinner plate (real ones, too). At some point, HV gives the signal and the horde moves in and finishes off the brother. A little later, OH's girlfriend is captured by the HV and taken to the caverns. OH sneaks in for the rescue, manages to fight off the entire horde somehow, and goes hand-to-hand with HV. After several minutes of furious battle, OH backs the HV up to the spike pit and HV falls in and is DOA. OH finds the GF, and as he leads her out, she realizes she has fallen in love with HV, sees him dead in the pit, and throws herself in. DA END.

What was special to you about it? It was the first movie I had ever seen that didn't have a happy ending.

Any other clues you can think of? There must have been a batch of Mexican horror films released to TV at the same time, because it seems I saw a bunch of them over the course of one summer.

And that's it! Any ETA on that bourbon?
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 03-24-2014, 01:27 AM
Just Asking Questions Just Asking Questions is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker View Post
TCM had The Green Slime this weekend. That's not the movie I was thinking of, but it shows that Aliens ripped off the plot from this movie. Same idea-alien creatures grow rapidly, multiply fast, are hard to kill and put everyone in the space station in danger.

Except for the fact that Aliens was good, and TGS..was not!
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 03-24-2014, 01:40 AM
GuanoLad GuanoLad is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Where the wild roses grow
Posts: 23,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by j666 View Post
I would like help recognize a young actress and the movie.

The period was mid-century or earlier. I have a sense of Southern or rural locale.

She was young, earlier teens. Light hair, in two braids, with straight bangs (fringe). Rather thin, very pale.

She wore a light knee length skirt and blouse that buttoned up the front.

She had a slightly odd smile and general sense of being awkward and endearing, but not in a hopeful, positive sense.

Is this ringing any bells for anyone?
Is it The Bad Seed?
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 03-25-2014, 01:27 PM
racepug racepug is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Freaky film from the late '70s

Well, I don't know if I can honestly state that I actually liked the film I'm going to attempt to describe (except maybe at a certain level), but it sure has stuck in my head for a long time! Scenario: my dad and I watching it on HBO (or Showtime) back in either 1978 or 1979 (when I was 11 or 12). IIRC the plot (if that's what you want to call it) had to do with two young women (mid-20ish) making a "house call," if you will, and basically "forcing" an older man to engage in some rather kinky sexual acts with him. I don't remember how long the movie was although I seem to recall that it wasn't particularly long. Also, that my mother, who caught us watching it together more than once, was NOT happy about me seeing it (come to think of it she probably wasn't all that thrilled that my dad was watching it, either. But then my mom always has been somewhat of a prude). I tried posting a question about it on IMDB once and I don't think it's ever been answered. If anybody on the SDMB saw a movie back then that they think is the one I attempted to describe and they can remember the name of it and are interested in letting me know what that name is it would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 03-25-2014, 03:13 PM
Enola Straight Enola Straight is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
The Dark Secret of Harvest Home?

https://www.google.com/search?q=harv...en-US:official
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 03-25-2014, 03:51 PM
ouryL ouryL is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: 21 20' N 157 55' W
Posts: 6,519
This movie appeared on, I think, ABC on on Sunday, that had an intro and commercial breaks based on the Wizard of Oz. this was either in the late 60's or early 70's. I think it was a dubbed Italian or French movie.

A scientist discovers how to shrink animals into small statues. By accident, he shrinks his daughter. A comedy, I suppose and I could swear it was acted by the same actors as in the movie, "How to Steal a Million" Eli Wallach as the doc, Audrey Hepburn as the daughter and Peter O'Toole as the love interest.
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 03-25-2014, 04:03 PM
Earl Snake-Hips Tucker Earl Snake-Hips Tucker is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
TCM had The Green Slime this weekend. That's not the movie I was thinking of, but it shows that Aliens ripped off the plot from this movie. . . .)
And this one is certainly not it, but since it does feature a space wheel station, The Terrornauts (1967).
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 03-28-2014, 07:41 PM
j666 j666 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Very similar image, but polar opposite for character.
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 03-28-2014, 10:48 PM
Hermione Hermione is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouryL View Post
This movie appeared on, I think, ABC on on Sunday, that had an intro and commercial breaks based on the Wizard of Oz. this was either in the late 60's or early 70's. I think it was a dubbed Italian or French movie.

A scientist discovers how to shrink animals into small statues. By accident, he shrinks his daughter. A comedy, I suppose and I could swear it was acted by the same actors as in the movie, "How to Steal a Million" Eli Wallach as the doc, Audrey Hepburn as the daughter and Peter O'Toole as the love interest.
I'm not sure about the movie, but the intros/commercial bumpers sound like the show "Off To See The Wizard." It was before my time, but another network tried to compete with The Wonderful World of Disney by presenting family movies on this particular show, with cartoon bumpers based on The Wizard of Oz, animated by Chuck Jones. (For some reason, the Wizard was an actual wizard in these bumpers, not a con man pretending he had magic powers.)
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 05-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Craigm461 Craigm461 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2014
Unknown movie

The movie may have been foreign had a pippy long stocking feel as I remember it. It was a kids movie but seemed very dark. I feel like I saw it on Cinemax as a kid in the mid eighties. The only thing I can remember is that it was about two kids a boy and a girl and the villian was a painter who would trap kids in his paintings. Any idea what this is? It has been bugging me for years.
Reply With Quote
  #181  
Old 05-01-2014, 04:45 PM
OneCentStamp OneCentStamp is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigm461 View Post
The movie may have been foreign had a pippy long stocking feel as I remember it. It was a kids movie but seemed very dark. I feel like I saw it on Cinemax as a kid in the mid eighties. The only thing I can remember is that it was about two kids a boy and a girl and the villian was a painter who would trap kids in his paintings. Any idea what this is? It has been bugging me for years.
Maybe a slightly misremembered The Peanut Butter Solution?
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 05-01-2014, 04:49 PM
Peter Morris Peter Morris is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: ___\o/___(\___
Posts: 11,257
The Witches(1990) perhaps? It was the answer when someone else asked a similar question

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/questio...6221317AAXgLpI

clip here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd1fajtL1bU
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 05-01-2014, 06:02 PM
Craigm461 Craigm461 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2014
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCentStamp View Post
Maybe a slightly misremembered The Peanut Butter Solution?
It was the peanut butter solution. That movie has haunted me for years, I was starting to think I had dreamed it, as no one knew what the hell I was talking about.
Thank you
=>
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 05-02-2014, 11:48 PM
Danja Danja is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Ah, I like this thread. Here's one I've been wondering about for almost a decade:

When did it come out? I think late 90s, around 98 or so. My ~8 year old self found it hilarious
Who was in it? Whichever middle aged men appeared on the Disney channel at the time
What plot if any do you remember? A group of astronauts went to Mars. One of them was incompetent. Hilarity ensued.
What was special to you about it? I always remember the commercials for it, which always contained the tagline "Astronaut, or Astro-not?" I found this, as well as the movie, to be hilarious which indicates that perhaps the movie wasn't actually that great.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Danja; 05-02-2014 at 11:49 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 05-03-2014, 12:28 AM
GreenElf GreenElf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Is there a thread like this for books? When I was in junior high school, I read a science fiction book checked out from the school library that I liked but can't remember it's title.

There were revolutionary outcasts living either in caves or their own domes who were in conflict with a society living in a domed "city", or maybe the whole country was domed. It definitely wasn't Logan's Run, and I think maybe some of the characters were aliens. It may have been written for a teenager/young adult audience.
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 05-03-2014, 09:47 AM
Earl Snake-Hips Tucker Earl Snake-Hips Tucker is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenElf View Post
Is there a thread like this for books? . . . .
Sorta. I've seen this site used previously when attempting to identify a sci-fi story or book: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/index.cgi
Haven't used it personally, so I can't vouch for it.
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 05-03-2014, 10:06 AM
Leo Bloom Leo Bloom is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 11,379
When did it come out? WW II, I'm guessing
Who was in it? Don Knotts, and a funny supporting character in the Navy
What plot if any do you remember? He's meek, (4F?) wishes he were a fish, falls in, becomes one, whose ferocious roars sink U-boats (?) and helps America
What was special to you about it? So, so happy, far more than laughing.

Extra: Deep childhood wish fulfillment for all children? Was it a success? Wasn't that Don Knott's character-type in all his roles?

Last edited by Leo Bloom; 05-03-2014 at 10:06 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 05-03-2014, 10:25 AM
GuanoLad GuanoLad is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Where the wild roses grow
Posts: 23,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
What plot if any do you remember? He's meek, (4F?) wishes he were a fish, falls in, becomes one, whose ferocious roars sink U-boats (?) and helps America
This is not a difficult one. The Incredible Mr Limpet.
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 05-03-2014, 10:31 AM
GuanoLad GuanoLad is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Where the wild roses grow
Posts: 23,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danja View Post
What plot if any do you remember? A group of astronauts went to Mars. One of them was incompetent. Hilarity ensued.
Probably RocketMan.
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 05-03-2014, 04:33 PM
jerez jerez is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Saw a film maybe 30-35 years ago. It was probably made in the late 50s or early 60s, and I remember it featured a lot of musical acts, including Bill Haley & His Comets. In one scene, the upright bass player puts his instrument on its side on the floor and lies down on top of it, playing all the while. In another scene, there's some kind of solo Spanish guitar (classical or flamenco).
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 05-03-2014, 07:06 PM
Accidental Martyr Accidental Martyr is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerez View Post
Saw a film maybe 30-35 years ago. It was probably made in the late 50s or early 60s, and I remember it featured a lot of musical acts, including Bill Haley & His Comets. In one scene, the upright bass player puts his instrument on its side on the floor and lies down on top of it, playing all the while. In another scene, there's some kind of solo Spanish guitar (classical or flamenco).
Was it Rock Around the Clock?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Ar...he_Clock_(film)
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 05-03-2014, 07:51 PM
Danja Danja is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Probably RocketMan.
That's it! Thanks! Just out of curiosity, did you actually remember the movie or did you search it? I think I tried searching "Disney Mars" and various permutations thereof and somehow that movie never came up.
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 05-03-2014, 09:04 PM
GuanoLad GuanoLad is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Where the wild roses grow
Posts: 23,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danja View Post
That's it! Thanks! Just out of curiosity, did you actually remember the movie or did you search it? I think I tried searching "Disney Mars" and various permutations thereof and somehow that movie never came up.
I searched. I found a text list of every single Disney movie ever, by year, and then checked IMDb against any name that seemed space-ish and was made in the late 90s.

Last edited by GuanoLad; 05-03-2014 at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 05-03-2014, 10:53 PM
Leo Bloom Leo Bloom is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 11,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
This is not a difficult one. The Incredible Mr Limpet.
Thanks. Next time I'll get a hard one. Came out in 1964, before anti-military Hollywood.
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 05-04-2014, 02:03 AM
jerez jerez is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Martyr View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. That one and "Don't Knock the Rock" are the obvious candidates, but I haven't come across the scenes described in my post. The bass player dry humping his instrument probably shows up in RATC (similar pose seen in one of the RATC advertisements). The scene of the solo guitarist would clinch it, although I should add that I may be conflating two films.
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 05-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Charlie Wayne Charlie Wayne is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Over the years, I have thought back to this movie many, many times and I would love to be able to watch it again.

I remember that it was made around 1956. It was very close to that year. It might have been 1955 or 1954. But I would be about 90% certain that it would be 1956.

This will be a very difficult puzzle because I don't remember very much at all about this movie.

It was black & white and it was a Type "B" movie. I remember a little about the plot. It was about aliens who come to Earth and I would guess it was about them wanting to take over the planet.

The one thing I remember most vividly was that these looked very much like Earth people and were wearing a silvery type space suit and they each had a weapon that looked like a handgun but more like a child's toy ray gun and they would aim it at a human and pull the trigger and it would make sound and the human would then turn into a skeleton.

If I recall, these aliens were just actors (both male and female) who wore a silvery space suit with a round type of fishbowl helmet.

I remember one spoken line in particular. They came to someone's home and there were two or three humans in a swimming pool at the rear of a home. There may have been a line or two spoken back and forth by the humans and the aliens and then one of the humans said, "I'm going to call the police." Then, one of the aliens said, "You will call no one." and that alien pulled the triigger on his handgun weapon and that caused the human to turn into a skeleton.

When the alien pulled the trigger, the gun made a high pitched sound and it think it also glowed or flashed a light.

This movie may have played on the same bill as a well known stop-action animation movie by Ray Haryhausen that was about some giant squid that came to San Francisco (I think it was SF, anyway) and the movie featured much mayhem when the squid would let one of his (or her) giant tentacles unfold in the city and it would roll along streets and squash everything in its way. That included cars and people and buildings and all sorts of other things. This "squid" movie is actually quite well known. I've seen it a few times but cannot remember the title.

What I do remember is that a group of us neighborhood kids would go to this movie theatre every Saturday and for ten cents we would see one or two raunchy Class B movies that were kind of like Horror movies but they featured these horrible deadly creatures (usually from outer space) and they scared the living daylights out of us.

If our parents would have had any idea of how terried we were by these movies, they would never have let us go.

The space aliens movies might have been shown on the same bill as the squid movie or it may have been shows the preceding or following week.
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 05-04-2014, 11:55 AM
Charlie Wayne Charlie Wayne is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
There was a movie theatre in our neighborhood where a bunch of heighborhood kids would all go to the movies every Saturday and we would pay about one dime to see some really "cheesie" movies.

These were usually Type "B" films (so sorry I forget the correct name for them).

I can only remember two or three of these films. But there was one serial that I remember callled "The Iron Claw". This was one of those serials that had maybe ten parts to it and it was the kind of thing where it ended one week with a car going over a cliff and the audience would be certain the occupants of the car would all certainly have been killed. But then, the nexte week, they would show that lo and behold, they all lived somehow and the adverture would continue.

Anyway, this one was called "The Iron Claw" because the villian had some kind of hook or claw that he would use to kill people. He was definitely a bad guy and every week he would kill someone new.

Would anyone here be able to give me any hints on this? I remember the name of the serial. It was definitely "The Iron Claw". Unfortunately, I cannot remember anything else about it. I was only in kindergarten at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 05-04-2014, 11:56 AM
burpo the wonder mutt burpo the wonder mutt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
^ The squid (actually, an octopus) movie is "It Came from Beneath the Sea."

Can't help you with the other one, yet.

The Iron Claw

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 05-04-2014 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 05-04-2014, 11:58 AM
Charlie Wayne Charlie Wayne is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
About the first movie that I posted above, I said it came out around 1956. That is when I first watched it. I assumed it was made around that time since I figured it was really so cheap that they would have showed a new one each week and it would have been made each week. But, I suppose it could have been made sometime before that. Maybe from 1945 to 1956?
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 05-04-2014, 11:58 AM
terentii terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerez View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. That one and "Don't Knock the Rock" are the obvious candidates, but I haven't come across the scenes described in my post. The bass player dry humping his instrument probably shows up in RATC (similar pose seen in one of the RATC advertisements). The scene of the solo guitarist would clinch it, although I should add that I may be conflating two films.
Did you catch the third movie at the bottom of the page, Twist around the Clock? I was a virtually scene-by-scene remake of the first film. They showed them all back-to-back on TCM a while ago. If I had been drinking, I would have sworn I was seeing the same movie twice!
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.