Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 05-04-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
^ The squid (actually, an octopus) movie is "It Came from Beneath the Sea."

Can't help you with the other one, yet.

The Iron Claw

OMG!!!

How in the world did you find this? I have been searching for this for many years now.

Oh My! How in the world did you ever find this in just a few minutes?

Please don't tell me you traded your soul to the Devil for magical powers! I couldn't believe that!
Advertisements  
Old 05-04-2014, 12:06 PM

By the way, for anyone who has some children around 5 or 6 years old, I would be very interested to see if you could (safely of course) show this Octopus movie to them and then see if modern children get anywhere nearly as scared as I did when I was 5 or 6.

I remember screaming my head off in the theatre and I was honestly and truly scared out of my mind by that friggin' Octopus. I had nightmares for many days after seeing this movie.

But I watched it again a few years ago and I was amazed at how just cheezy it seemed to me now. Not at all scary. Not in the slightest.

Burpo! I take my hat off to you! And if I ever meet you, I will give you some dog biscuits for sure!

Arf! Arf! Arf!

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 05-04-2014 at 12:07 PM..
Old 05-04-2014, 12:08 PM

Heh, heh, heh!

Lots of info over on the IMdB (the Internet Movie dataBase). You supplied the title, the rest was there for the asking.

I spend WAY too much time on the IMdB.

Still working on the alien-skeleton-ray-gun film; I just KNOW it's there.

State of the art has moved on for SFX.

Biscuits are good!

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 05-04-2014 at 12:10 PM..
Old 05-04-2014, 12:16 PM

Burpo,

I just cannot tell you how much this means to me.

I've been searching for years and years for this "Iron Claw" movie and you found it in a few minutes?

I am floored! I yam amazed. I cannot tell you how stoked I am. Thank you ever so!! You can't imagine just how amazed I am.

People in this forum will undoubtedly think I'm nutz. But I don't care about that. I yam just so amazed that you found this after I have been looking for so many years.

By the way, I have a few others .....

Old 05-04-2014, 12:19 PM

This is nothing new:

I doubt any child that would understand a '50s BEM is going to be scared by the FX. Luckily, YOU got to enjoy the scares when you were a youngster, but now you have to watch those old chestnuts for the sub-text (sometimes it's there, sometimes it needs a nudge). Example--Creature From the Black Lagoon; when you're 8 YO, the Creature is just gonna tear up the bathing beauty, when you're 50 YO, your thoughts might go to a darker (sexual?) place.

As for FX: 50 years from now, the Lord of the Rings trilogy will look like crap; it can't be avoided.

Bring on those others; other guys here are a lot better at this than I am.

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 05-04-2014 at 12:22 PM..
Old 05-04-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Did you catch the third movie at the bottom of the page, Twist around the Clock?
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Wayne View Post
The one thing I remember most vividly was that these looked very much like Earth people and were wearing a silvery type space suit and they each had a weapon that looked like a handgun but more like a child's toy ray gun and they would aim it at a human and pull the trigger and it would make sound and the human would then turn into a skeleton….

When the alien pulled the trigger, the gun made a high pitched sound and it think it also glowed or flashed a light.
Sorry, I don't remember the title, but I remember the ray gun.

Anyhow, this may be cheating, but if I saw it, it was probably on Creature Double Feature on Saturday afternoon on WLVI in the '70s. Here's the list of movies. (The have a page with pictures of the creatures but they don't say which movie they are from.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j666 View Post
Sorry, I don't remember the title, but I remember the ray gun.

Anyhow, this may be cheating, but if I saw it, it was probably on Creature Double Feature on Saturday afternoon on WLVI in the '70s. Here's the list of movies. (The have a page with pictures of the creatures but they don't say which movie they are from.
Oh Gosh!

I had never before seen Creature Double Feature. I will have to check this out.

Thank you ever so much. Wow! All I can say is Wow!
Old 05-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
. . .The one thing I remember most vividly was that these looked very much like Earth people and were wearing a silvery type space suit and they each had a weapon that looked like a handgun but more like a child's toy ray gun and they would aim it at a human and pull the trigger and it would make sound and the human would then turn into a skeleton.
"Teenagers from Outer Space."
Old 05-04-2014, 03:11 PM

OMG! Just going through this list of films.

Who ever taught these people words like Amoeba & Zebra? Then they figured out these words rhyme all on their own and we get titles like The Amoeba Zebra?

How are You supposed to cope with shit like this? I can't do it. I just can't do it. How can that be fair? Oh come on! How can this be fair?

In reading this over, it sounds just like my six year-old whining about his allowance being too small. "This is just not fair", he whines. Just wait until you get a job, kid. Then, you can talk to me about your salary being fair. Wait till then. We will have a talk then. In the meantime, you can wait till then.

How the Hell can this be fair? How can it be fair?
Old 07-08-2014, 08:28 PM

old thread bump. heeelp

When did it come out?

watched on tv mid 90's late at night
sci-fi but not necessarily a B-movie, almost positive it was in color
Who was in it?
main protagonist was a kid/teen (most likely trying to escape)
There were adults in the movie, possibly trying to rescue kid?

main antagonist
evil bald dude sits in chair
What plot if any do you remember?
towards the end of the movie... kid is going through an obstacle course. Giant spiked objects, huge rolling pin type things, walls and floors moving. I don't know if he's coming or going, but the evil bald guy (and others) are watching him. I don't think it was a game, more of a sick twisted, you're not going to survive this, type of thing.
Had a madmax feel but cleaner and more out of world, sci-fi element to it.

somewhere else in the movie
adults, maybe coming to the boy's rescue, running across a catwalk/platform, they had guns -modern, automatic shooting bullets not lasers.
there were... --best i can describe-- ...stay-puff marshmallow men, normal human sized, type creatures, underneath the catwalk trying to grab at their feet as they ran past. squishing their marshmallowie fingers through the grating.
3(?) possible adult males 2 white 1 black, they were in a green jeep. before they ran across this platform thing
Old 07-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

http://irememberthismovie.com/ is a site devoted to this topic. Might want to check it out.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargasm View Post
old thread bump. heeelp

When did it come out?

watched on tv mid 90's late at night
sci-fi but not necessarily a B-movie, almost positive it was in color
Who was in it?
main protagonist was a kid/teen (most likely trying to escape)
There were adults in the movie, possibly trying to rescue kid?

main antagonist
evil bald dude sits in chair
towards the end of the movie... kid is going through an obstacle course. Giant spiked objects, huge rolling pin type things, walls and floors moving. I don't know if he's coming or going, but the evil bald guy (and others) are watching him. I don't think it was a game, more of a sick twisted, you're not going to survive this, type of thing.
Had a madmax feel but cleaner and more out of world, sci-fi element to it.

somewhere else in the movie
adults, maybe coming to the boy's rescue, running across a catwalk/platform, they had guns -modern, automatic shooting bullets not lasers.
there were... --best i can describe-- ...stay-puff marshmallow men, normal human sized, type creatures, underneath the catwalk trying to grab at their feet as they ran past. squishing their marshmallowie fingers through the grating.
3(?) possible adult males 2 white 1 black, they were in a green jeep. before they ran across this platform thing
Was it Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z351Gqxiv8E
Old 07-14-2014, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Martyr View Post
Was it Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z351Gqxiv8E
And this is why I just don't post much.

Last week I saw this thread for the first time. Over a couple of days hints of a movie I could submit in this thread came to me. Today I come in to make my post, pretty much figuring it's too rare/old/weird and will never be answered anyway.

I glance at the thread before jumping in.
Last post in the thread looks suspiciously like it could be the answer (are you shitting me??HTF). I look at wargasm's description... ayup, that's me and my rare childhood movie question taken care of.

Well done. This board fucking rules.

(and I see Molly Ringwald is in it! LOL)
Old 12-28-2014, 09:54 AM

Hi Biggirl

The movies that you are looking for are The other 1972. and the littlest angel 1969. I hope this helps
Old 12-28-2014, 12:14 PM

that movie is called the quest AKA Frog Dreaming ( original title )
Old 12-28-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendarii Dame View Post
I saw a movie in the mid-1970's. It was shown in my school, but I've never seen it anywhere else. It was in color, and the plot was about Loch Ness (or possibly some lake that was just like it but in the U.S.) which was supposed to have a legendary monster in it. A businessman was buying up land around the loch (lake) and to save their homes or preserve the environment or something, a boy and a girl pretended that they'd seen the monster, which got a lot of publicity. (I don't think they built a fake monster, I'm a big fan of the book The Mad Scientists' Club and would have recognized that plot.) Anyway, the businessman was suspicious, and followed the kids (who were in a rowboat) in a rowboat of his own, and somehow found proof that they were lying. (Maybe they did make a fake monster?) He loudly rejoiced that, "There's no monster in this lake!" (Or something.) Needless to say, the next shot was of a sea monster angrily lifting up its head from the lake floor, surfacing, and scaring the living daylights out of the businessman. He gave up his plan (don't think he died) and the day was saved.

Any ideas?
it was The Quest Aka ( Frog Dreaming )
Old 12-28-2014, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

OK, here's one I saw on TV as a kid. Might have been black and white -- it was probably from the 40's or 50's and the plot was something like the old "Heiress has to stay in the haunted house overnight". As I recall, there was a wise-cracking journalist/love interest involved. As they enter the house, a skeleton slides down a cable. The journalist examines it and says something like "Your father had quite a sense of humor". That's pretty much all I remember.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougula View Post
it was The Quest Aka ( Frog Dreaming )
Thanks, but that's not it. The Quest was made in 1986, and I saw the movie I'm asking about in the mid-70's.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
OK, here's one I saw on TV as a kid. Might have been black and white -- it was probably from the 40's or 50's and the plot was something like the old "Heiress has to stay in the haunted house overnight". As I recall, there was a wise-cracking journalist/love interest involved. As they enter the house, a skeleton slides down a cable. The journalist examines it and says something like "Your father had quite a sense of humor". That's pretty much all I remember.
I'm about 99.99% sure this is "Two on a Guillotine." Connie Stevens, Dean Jones and Cesar Romero.

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 12-28-2014 at 01:31 PM..
Old 12-28-2014, 02:21 PM

The Strange Monster Of Strawberry Cove is based on “The Strange Sea Monster of Strawberry Lake” by Bertrand Brinley and is featured in his book, The Mad Scientists’ Club. Brinley’s stories detailed the adventures of a group of kids who usually got mixed up in schemes that had them using fairly sophisticated technology and equipment for the time in which the stories were written.

I think this may be it . I remember this movie also , more so the Indian calling it a Donkechin ( my rough interpretation ) but it was really called a Donkey Engine that was used by minors
Old 12-28-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I saw a movie in the mid-1970's. It was shown in my school, but I've never seen it anywhere else. It was in color, and the plot was about Loch Ness (or possibly some lake that was just like it but in the U.S.) which was supposed to have a legendary monster in it. A businessman was buying up land around the loch (lake) and to save their homes or preserve the environment or something, a boy and a girl pretended that they'd seen the monster, which got a lot of publicity. (I don't think they built a fake monster, I'm a big fan of the book The Mad Scientists' Club and would have recognized that plot.) Anyway, the businessman was suspicious, and followed the kids (who were in a rowboat) in a rowboat of his own, and somehow found proof that they were lying. (Maybe they did make a fake monster?) He loudly rejoiced that, "There's no monster in this lake!" (Or something.) Needless to say, the next shot was of a sea monster angrily lifting up its head from the lake floor, surfacing, and scaring the living daylights out of the businessman. He gave up his plan (don't think he died) and the day was saved.

Any ideas?
The Strange Monster Of Strawberry Cove is based on “The Strange Sea Monster of Strawberry Lake” by Bertrand Brinley and is featured in his book, The Mad Scientists’ Club. Brinley’s stories detailed the adventures of a group of kids who usually got mixed up in schemes that had them using fairly sophisticated technology and equipment for the time in which the stories were written.

I think this may be it . I remember this movie also , more so the Indian calling it a Donkechin ( my rough interpretation ) but it was really called a Donkey Engine that was used by minors
Old 12-28-2014, 09:41 PM

There's 2, both seen on TV in the mid-60s, probably made several years earlier. First was a sci-fi movie, astronauts on the moon or a planet, with a monster killing them off. What I remember is being terrified by the shots where all you see is the monster's feet, big rubbery lizard feet, walking towards the spaceship. I was scared and impressed that I could be so scared by such a simple shot.

The second was a World War II movie, in which I really liked one of the secondary characters, who had a mustache. I think he was the squad joker or maybe the anti-authoritarian scoffer. I was devastated when he was killed when he used his helmet on a stick to draw sniper fire, and couldn't believe they would kill off such a great character. This may be the same film where the American troops, fighting on an island, painted a U.S. flag on a Japanese building so the Japanese bombed their own troops. Both of the movies were pretty corny and trite, but at the time, they made me think a lot about the making of movies even as they moved me deeply. The things you remember! No idea of the titles, cast, or anything else, though.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
I'm about 99.99% sure this is "Two on a Guillotine." Connie Stevens, Dean Jones and Cesar Romero.
Sure seems possible. I'll have to watch it and see. Looks like it might be more of a serious horror film than a screwball wise-cracking type of horror film.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:50 AM

When did it come out?

This was a classic comedy/romance B/W movie from the 30s or 40s. I'm pretty sure it was B/W but I could have been watching it on an old B/W tv.

Who was in it?

I thought the lead actress was Claudette Colbert but I looked through all her entries on IMDb and nothing seemed to fit.

Man is pursuing a woman who is not interested in him. [not It Happened One Night!] The scene I remember is she books a sleeper and leaves town to go on a skiing holiday alone. He diverts her train overnight or maybe just the car she was sleeping in, to someplace warm like Palm Springs or Miami or...? So when she wakes up, she gets off the train in her woolen ski outfit. Everyone on the platform is dressed in summer clothes and is staring at her. She walks through the train station until she can find a public telephone booth to make a call, probably to the man.

He is obviously wealthy but she might not know that.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks, but that's not it. The Quest was made in 1986, and I saw the movie I'm asking about in the mid-70's.
The Johnstown Monster (1971)

Last edited by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker; 01-01-2015 at 06:21 AM..
Old 01-01-2015, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
There's 2, both seen on TV in the mid-60s, probably made several years earlier. First was a sci-fi movie, astronauts on the moon or a planet, with a monster killing them off. What I remember is being terrified by the shots where all you see is the monster's feet, big rubbery lizard feet, walking towards the spaceship. I was scared and impressed that I could be so scared by such a simple shot.
Was it The Angry Red Planet?
Old 01-01-2015, 11:39 AM

I'd like to try one. But I must warn you. This one will be very difficult.

When did it come out? Approx 1955-1956
Who was in it? Don't know
What plot if any do you remember? Aliens land on earth in an attempt to take over our planet.
What was special to you about it? It was B&W

Any other clues you can think of? This was a "B" movie and was shown on the same bill as another B movie, "It Came From Beneath the Sea (1955)".
These aliens had rather large handheld ray guns and whenever thy felt threatened by someone, they would shoot at them and they would be reduced to a skeleton. Their handguns had a round bulbous thing on top of the gun which would light up when they shot it. When they shot their guns, they would make a loud weird sound that would last for a few seconds and the bulb would light up. I was very frightened by those weapons. But, I was only 6 years old.

The aliens looked just like regular people in their twenties or thirties except for one thing. The women were all very attractive.

I remember one scene where they confronted someone who was in a swimming pool and that person said, "I'm going to call the police." One of the aliens then said, "You will call no one" and turned them into a skeleton. We saw a shot of the skeleton lying at the bottom of the swimming pool.

The moral of this movie? If you feel the need to call the police about someone, just call them. Don't announce that you will be calling them. Just smile and then walk away and go call them.

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 01-01-2015 at 11:43 AM..
Old 01-01-2015, 11:46 AM

I'd like to say Hello and pay my respects to Burpo. He helped me find the title to "It Came From Beneath the Sea (1955). I was astonished because he found that tiltle in just a few minutes.

Well done, Burpo!
Old 01-01-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:

What plot if any do you remember? Aliens land on earth in an attempt to take over our planet.

Any other clues you can think of? This was a "B" movie and was shown on the same bill as another B movie, "It Came From Beneath the Sea (1955)".
These aliens had rather large handheld ray guns and whenever thy felt threatened by someone, they would shoot at them and they would be reduced to a skeleton. Their handguns had a round bulbous thing on top of the gun which would light up when they shot it. When they shot their guns, they would make a loud weird sound that would last for a few seconds and the bulb would light up. I was very frightened by those weapons. But, I was only 6 years old.

The aliens looked just like regular people in their twenties or thirties except for one thing. The women were all very attractive.

I remember one scene where they confronted someone who was in a swimming pool and that person said, "I'm going to call the police." One of the aliens then said, "You will call no one" and turned them into a skeleton. We saw a shot of the skeleton lying at the bottom of the swimming pool.

The moral of this movie? If you feel the need to call the police about someone, just call them. Don't announce that you will be calling them. Just smile and then walk away and go call them.
Can't remember the title, but I'm sure it was on MST3K. One of the bots said, re the skeleton-making gun, that it was possible to be too thin.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
My mystery movie was a probably-1950s science fiction movie. The only things I can remember was that the action took place on a 50's style wheel space station, and that the station got over run by a 'space mold'. I remember a shot of the station model, from an outside perspective, showing the station being over grown by mold, covering the outside ....... I thought it might be "Mutiny in Outer Space" ..... it seemed like a totally different movie than I remembered.
I saw this! Or something very similar. I remember because this was my first drive-in movie - I was a little kid so 1964-66? Anyway I remember space explorers come back from a mission and infect the mother ship. There is one scene in the infirmary where the guy has a black spot on his shoulder or face and every time it's touched it doubles in size. The resolution was that a 2nd space ship is lauched from earth and the carbon monoxide(?) from its engine blast is sprayed on the moldy space station which kills the fungus. At age six(?) I knew that was cheesy and violated most principles of physics. But I'd still like to see it again!
Old 01-01-2015, 01:41 PM

A mummy in Crete. No facial features. Saw it in the mid-sixties.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Can't remember the title, but I'm sure it was on MST3K. One of the bots said, re the skeleton-making gun, that it was possible to be too thin.
Thanks very much, Dendarii. Unfortunately, I don't have any access to MST3K. I'm hoping that will change soon. But I'll just have to wait and see.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal_cleaner View Post
A mummy in Crete. No facial features. Saw it in the mid-sixties.
That has to be "Curse of the Faceless Man." With Oscar Goldman!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Wayne
I'd like to say Hello and pay my respects to Burpo. He helped me find the title to "It Came From Beneath the Sea (1955). I was astonished because he found that tiltle in just a few minutes.

Well done, Burpo!
Shucks folks, I'm speechless! (Hey, Charlie, how's it going?)

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 01-01-2015 at 02:26 PM..
Old 01-01-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefario View Post
I saw this! Or something very similar. I remember because this was my first drive-in movie - I was a little kid so 1964-66? Anyway I remember space explorers come back from a mission and infect the mother ship. There is one scene in the infirmary where the guy has a black spot on his shoulder or face and every time it's touched it doubles in size. The resolution was that a 2nd space ship is lauched from earth and the carbon monoxide(?) from its engine blast is sprayed on the moldy space station which kills the fungus. At age six(?) I knew that was cheesy and violated most principles of physics. But I'd still like to see it again!
Sounds *kind* of like The Green Slime, but it's electricity that kills the slime and the creatures it turns into.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast pakora View Post
When did it come out?

This was a classic comedy/romance B/W movie from the 30s or 40s. I'm pretty sure it was B/W but I could have been watching it on an old B/W tv.

Who was in it?

I thought the lead actress was Claudette Colbert but I looked through all her entries on IMDb and nothing seemed to fit.

Man is pursuing a woman who is not interested in him. [not It Happened One Night!] The scene I remember is she books a sleeper and leaves town to go on a skiing holiday alone. He diverts her train overnight or maybe just the car she was sleeping in, to someplace warm like Palm Springs or Miami or...? So when she wakes up, she gets off the train in her woolen ski outfit. Everyone on the platform is dressed in summer clothes and is staring at her. She walks through the train station until she can find a public telephone booth to make a call, probably to the man.

He is obviously wealthy but she might not know that.

Welllll...in White Christmas, they arrive in Vermont for the holidays, only to discover its unseasonably warm.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:47 PM

When Did It Come Out: 70's

Who Was In it?: No idea

What plot do you remember?: There was something about dowsing, possibly not for water but for some other valuable substance. Two or three people on a journey and a giant bird that kept attacking them. Crappy cinematography/cheap grainy graphics.

What was special to you about it?: We were on vacation visiting old friends and my parents forced my brother to take me along to the theater to see a movie with he and his friend that I was really too young for. I felt so grown up and important. One of two movies I ever saw with him.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:

Teenagers From Outer Space?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7f7NND8sJQ
Old 01-01-2015, 06:56 PM

Accidental Martyr!

You did it! You found it!

Thank you ever so much. Can you believe that I've been looking for this move for 60 years now?

And you found it for me just an hour after I made my post.

I don't know how to thank you.

How did you like that dog skeleton? There is a yapping dog who lives down the hall from me. You have no idea how much I would love to have one of those ray guns! Heh! Heh!

Just kidding btw. Please don't send me PMs. Last time I said something bad about dogs, a whole bunch of people send me PMs telling me what a piece of shite I am. For some reason, I have a feeling it would be much worse if I said something bad about cats.

Now I just have to find a way to buy this movie. I don't care how much it costs. It will be like my dream come true to be able to watch it again.

If I posted "Thank you" a hundred times, I think the mods here would get seriously pissed. So I won't do that. But Thank you x 100.

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 01-01-2015 at 06:59 PM..
Old 01-01-2015, 07:08 PM

Accidental Martyr,

Can you tell us how you did that? I mean, how did you find that title?

I'd love to know because there are a few others I'd love to find.

P.S. Can you believe that IMDB listed the plot of this movie as well as all the "stars"?

I can't imagine any of the actors in this movie ever acting in any more movies - at least not in any more movies that are any good. This movie got a 3.6 rating from IMDB.

How's this for a plot?

A young alien (David Love) falls for a pretty teenage Earth girl (Dawn Anderson) and they team up to try to stop the plans of his invading cohorts, who intend to use Earth as a food-breeding ground for giant lobsters from their planet. The invaders, who arrive in a flying saucer, carry deadly ray guns that turn Earth-people into skeletons.

Have you ever heard of David Love or Dawn Bender? They were the two leading "stars" of this movie. Heh. Heh.

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 01-01-2015 at 07:11 PM..
Old 01-01-2015, 07:19 PM

I googled "mystery science theater 3000 aliens weapon turns people into skeleton".
It's available on this MST3K collection.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002VET2M?vs=1
Old 01-01-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Martyr View Post
I googled "mystery science theater 3000 aliens weapon turns people into skeleton".
It's available on this MST3K collection.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002VET2M?vs=1
Thanks ever so much. I have a new tool now thanks to you.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

I saw this as a small child and I can't get it out of my mind to this day. It was a thriller set in London. The lead character was a man in his 20's or early 30's bushy blonde hair. I remember he would sleep with women and then kill them if they were beautiful. He had a girlfriend who was very plain looking and had the craziest eyes I've ever seen. I can still see the knife in his hand as he stabbed the women. I don't know why I was ever allowed to watch that movie as such a small child.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Could it be Alfred Hitchcock's Frenzy?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frenzy

- set in London.
- killer with blond hair and crazy eyes.
- slept with women, then killed them.

http://www.soundonsight.org/wp-conte.../12/Frenzy.jpg
http://www.jasonbovberg.com/wp-conte...07/Frenzy2.jpg

Only thing is, he killed by strangling with a necktie, not a knife.

Last edited by Peter Morris; 01-01-2015 at 08:26 PM..
Old 01-01-2015, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post

- set in London.

That isn't it. It was a knife. I remember his plain girlfriend wanting to start being pretty for him, and me thinking....uh oh. She was also a whacko and she had these big, crazy eyes.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Accidental Martyr!

You did it! You found it!

Thank you ever so much. Can you believe that I've been looking for this move for 60 years now?. . .
Oh, yes! Thank you very much, Accidental Martyr.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post

- set in London.

He didn't randomly just kill women. They had to be beautiful. He killed beautiful things. He may have killed animals too, and I blocked that out. I was about 7 or 8 when I watched it in the 70's.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:18 AM
BANNED

I remember a tv movie in the early 80's where a girl, who doesn't get along with her mom, goes back in time and meets her mom in the 1940's. The girls are maybe 10 years old. The mom likes "Frankie" Sinatra and shoplifts something by licking her hand. She then hides the item in a secret compartment in her desk. The girl then returns to the present somehow, which seemed very 70s-ish to my 80s eyes. She checks the desk and it has a secret compartment!

I don't think it was a full length movie, but it also didn't fit the format for any tv shows I remember in the 80's. It was a self-contained story, not an arc on Love Boat or Fantasy Island or something. And the moral was like: your parents understand you even if you don't realize it. It was more preachy about understanding your parents than a normal Sci-Fi show.

Any ideas?
Old 01-02-2015, 03:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotonian View Post
I remember a tv movie in the early 80's where a girl, who doesn't get along with her mom, goes back in time and meets her mom in the 1940's.
"My Mother Was Never A Kid" an ABC After School Special from 1981.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Straight View Post
Horror movie seen on tv in the 80s.

Film stock quality pegs it in the 60s-70s.

The monster is a human-shaped mound of mud...which bursts into flame in contact with salt.
The Horror of Party Beach, I think.