The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-25-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
I understand your reasoning and I see some basis for it, but I think the "purity" meme is quite a stretch. Sure, Maher likes spreading his organic multigrain bread with organic goat-milk butter, but so does everyone in the upper echelons of LA society. I don't think Maher is "sucking up" to those circles, I think he's in them. He's certainly not sucking up to A-lister Ben Affleck. And I don't think he's "obsessed" by any of this stuff. He likes California sunshine, good food, good living, and organic produce. Good for him.
He's free to like anything he likes — but you are underselling the degree of his food and pharma advocacy. To take just one example: Sugar is poison. It's ironic that his guest had to reel him back in from hyperboleville when even the doctor's documentary's central thesis is dubious. This is my central point: Maher is great at calling out bullshit, but his purity biases blind him to his own. This happens to all of us, but when his brand is about standing up to popularly-held ideas that are bullshit, it undercuts his own mission.

Quote:
If Maher is so anti-pharma and obsessed by bodily purity, it's hard to explain why he's basically a dope fiend, to use an antiquated but colorful term. He's been pushing the marijuana agenda since long before it went mainstream. In a recent episode of Real Time, he and a number of his guests lit up on live TV -- that had to be an HBO first!
Pot grows from mother earth, man. It's natural.

Quote:
I think his anti-Muslim thing is driven by his general anti-religion sentiment and is actually a bit more nuanced than many might believe, directed at the beliefs, not the people.
But his idea that religion is the root cause of terrorism ignores the multitude of other complicated, multi-factor social conditions that give rise to terrorism. Part of the problem is that he (like so many of us) are so focused on Islamic terrorism, we fail to see it accounts for the minority of terrorism in the Western world. I guess my main point is if we keep misdiagnosing (and scapegoating) the problem, we are ill-equipped to solve it.

Quote:
And I think much of the anti-vax associations really stem from his skepticism about the flu vaccine which, let's face it, is not very effective in some flu seasons.
You're absolutely right that the flu vaccine is far from perfect, but we're better off with it than without it.

Last edited by B. Serum; 02-25-2016 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: forgot quote tags
Advertisements  
Old 02-25-2016, 08:06 PM

I still watch the show (while folding laundry and changing sheets on Sundays), but the free-form panel discussion often turns into a situation where you can't hear anyone's points and I wish Maher would reel them in sometimes.

I do like that he challenges bullshit when he hears it (except for anti-vax and other health nuttery).

ETA: I thought it was great when he and all the guests except the uptight woman passed around a spliff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWB View Post
In general I enjoy the show, mostly for the free-form and unpredictable discussion panels. I think the show has declined over the recent few seasons due to Maher sliding from sarcasm and wit into just being a cranky old-man contrarian. Similar to George Carlin's slide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
He was better on Politically Incorrect, which should have never been cancelled. I haven't watched as much of Real Time, but he seems more.....cynical/rude/caustic. I'm not sure what adjective to use, but he's different.
Older.

We get older and our attitudes and biases harden. I'm seeing it happen with my mom -- she no longer says the word "Republicans"; she says "bastards" instead.

Last edited by GrumpyBunny; 02-25-2016 at 08:08 PM..
Old 10-30-2016, 07:11 AM

Since this is the thread that discussed Bill Maher's petition to the White House to have Obama appear on his show, it's probably a good place to note that it's finally going to happen! Well, sort of.

The unique feature of Real Time is that it's live, broadcast at 7:00 PM Pacific time, 10:00 PM Eastern, but in this case Obama's appearance will be neither in person nor live, at least according to what's been publicized so far. It seems that Obama has agreed to an interview, but Maher is flying to Washington this week to tape it there.

Still, pretty cool, because Maher and Obama -- two of my favorite people -- finally get to meet and chat for the first time, and it will be seen on the November 4 broadcast of Real Time with Bill Maher, 10:00 PM EDT on HBO. Four freaking days before the election, too.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:52 PM
BANNED

They started showing the show in Britain on Sky Atlantic towards the end of last year but it's not on tonight. Anyone know why? And has it moved to another time or another channel?

I gather Piers Morgan was on and was told to **** ***.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:52 PM
BANNED

Fear not fans - It's on tonight at 11.50pm (sky Atlantic).
Old 02-15-2017, 10:59 AM

For those that think Maher's standup comedy is lame, get on YouTube and check out his "Be More Cynical" act from the late 1990's. It's quite good.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:07 AM

I'm on the right and Bill Maher is the only late night show I enjoy. He's liberal of course but he's a liberal who refuses to be pigeon-holed and can often take surprising positions. He's fair and open-minded and an astute interviewer. I like the guy.

Last edited by aldiboronti; 02-15-2017 at 11:07 AM..
Old 02-15-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Blucher View Post
I Like the show.

I think its funny as Hell (or a Trump Presidency, whichever comes first).
I watch it weekly. I'd love to see it made or even sit in the audience, but I'd be worried I'd laugh for too long or too loudly. Worse, what if I met him? What if I opened my mouth, actually spoke, and he actually laughed?

I mean if he didn't, well thats easy... he'd just flick lit joints at me while I ducked behind folding chairs... but what if he laughed?

That pot would have to be some Really Good Shit, huh...?
A year has passed... and yes, a Trump presidency came first.

Maher is still funny. I get him. People say he's touchy & will go off on you, but its his show so don't step on his lines or piss on his shoes.
Shows like that keep people incredibly busy, so meeting him will never ever happen. In an aside to the audience on the day I was at The Late Show, Colbert was asked what he'd do if he had more time.
"More time? What I'd do? Umm... whats that thing where you close your eyes and don't move for a few hours?"

Maher is on that tread-mill too... so if he gets cranky, he's probably filming on 3 hours sleep. Sure, I like the guy & I'd love to meet him, but he (and everyone else on that tread-mill) works like a marathon runner or maybe swimmers doing 80,000 laps,
so realistically that will never ever happen. Even if I DID happen to meet him, given everything he needs to get done in a day, he'd probably say,

"Well? Well say something. Look... Hurry the fuck up, will you? There are people waiting on me. That's nice... look, I've gotta go. Watch the Show."

And that's NOT him being a dick... that'd be him being drop-dead Honest.
I say that because after the filming is done, he's off to short meeting on the side with the stage manager to discus what worked & what didn't and what might have been weak.
Then he's off for 8-12 straight hours of editing room eye-strain where every 10 seconds of film/tape gets reviewed, dissected and discussed. Once its all done and in the can, he can finally take a dump, finally eat, finally sleep...

Oh wait, no he can't because there's more shit happening on the news that he needs to watch, list down in bullet points, and create bits for so there's something funny and relevant for the NEXT weeks show.
He also needs to book panelists and try really hard to get them to say yes.
My best guess is that being a comedy host on a show like that is almost like being constantly anally gang-raped, but with direct deposit. Yeah, those guys can probably get pretty pissey.

But now I sort-of see why.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
I'm on the right and Bill Maher is the only late night show I enjoy. He's liberal of course but he's a liberal who refuses to be pigeon-holed and can often take surprising positions. He's fair and open-minded and an astute interviewer. I like the guy.
The last one was particularly entertaining throughout. The previous one was good with Sam Harris and Bill trying to explain to "liberals" in denial about the Islam problem

Last edited by Jefferson; 02-15-2017 at 12:38 PM..
Old 02-15-2017, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Maybe I missed something, but I don't see anyone here actually mentioning going to Maher's stand-up on the road. I did last year. He was less strident than the individual comments here make him out to be. He spent time carefully backing off the remarks about Muslims. And he went off on politics and the election. The crowd was 100% for him and they howled with laughter. Mayer was funny and pointed and a great storyteller. Nothing in his routine gave any hint of anti-science or pro-woo, BTW. If he appears near you and you like left-wing humor go see him.

I just picked up HBO, so I saw Real Time last week. If Mayer likes people who put up opposing views, he sure didn't show it with Piers Morgan who merely said that people should chill out a bit. He didn't do a KellyAnne but he got slagged regardless.

Maher has as much of a formula as Oliver, and probably more. (I've seen lots of Last Week Tonight online.) Formulas are needed for weekly comedy. That can lead to weak episodes, but if it clicks provides a dependable framework. Maher has that and so does Oliver.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:53 AM
BANNED

I just checked to see if there were any videos of Milo Yiannopoulos on this show on youtube and noticed he's on the next one. Already one of the snowflake guests has pulled out in protest - and also complained about Maher's comments on Islam.

Last edited by Jefferson; 02-16-2017 at 10:54 AM..
Old 02-16-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Maybe I missed something, but I don't see anyone here actually mentioning going to Maher's stand-up on the road. I did last year. He was less strident than the individual comments here make him out to be. He spent time carefully backing off the remarks about Muslims. And he went off on politics and the election. The crowd was 100% for him and they howled with laughter. Mayer was funny and pointed and a great storyteller. Nothing in his routine gave any hint of anti-science or pro-woo, BTW. If he appears near you and you like left-wing humor go see him.

I just picked up HBO, so I saw Real Time last week. If Mayer likes people who put up opposing views, he sure didn't show it with Piers Morgan who merely said that people should chill out a bit. He didn't do a KellyAnne but he got slagged regardless.

Maher has as much of a formula as Oliver, and probably more. (I've seen lots of Last Week Tonight online.) Formulas are needed for weekly comedy. That can lead to weak episodes, but if it clicks provides a dependable framework. Maher has that and so does Oliver.
He has a LOT of conservatives as guests on his show. Even when he vehemently disagrees with them, he will often give them credit for having the courage to appear in front of a hostile audience. And his audience for that show is overwhelmingly liberal.

Last edited by John Mace; 02-16-2017 at 11:25 AM..
Old 02-16-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post

Morgan was taking a ridiculous position and deserved to get slapped around. It's one thing to be conservative, but quite another to argue Trump isn't a complete disaster.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I say that because after the filming is done, he's off to short meeting on the side with the stage manager to discus what worked & what didn't and what might have been weak.
Then he's off for 8-12 straight hours of editing room eye-strain where every 10 seconds of film/tape gets reviewed, dissected and discussed. Once its all done and in the can, he can finally take a dump, finally eat, finally sleep...
I am pretty sure that Real Time is broadcast live. There is no editing to be done.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:27 PM

Great response by Maher to Scahill's criticism of the decision to have Yiannopoulos on the show.

Quote:
Liberals will continue to lose elections as long as they follow the example of people like Mr. Scahill whose views veer into fantasy and away from bedrock liberal principles like equality of women, respect for minorities, separation of religion and state, and free speech,” Maher said in a statement, according to Entertainment Weekly. “If Mr. Yiannopoulos is indeed the monster Scahill claims — and he might be — nothing could serve the liberal cause better than having him exposed on Friday night.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
I am pretty sure that Real Time is broadcast live. There is no editing to be done.
Filmed live, sure... but broadcast live? I didn't know that.

Might explain some temper... he can't go back and edit anything... but it also means his prep work must me Massive. With that much pressure, he's lucky if tourists aren't taking guided horse-back tours of his ulcers.
OK, he gets paid a lot... but if its anything like The Late Show (and its Gotta be)... holy shit that's non-stop work.

You really owe it to yourself to see what goes into one of those shows, because the Host of one almost has to be like Barry Allen on caffeinated jet-fuel... non-stop... FOREVER (or until some exec retires you).
Old 02-16-2017, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Filmed live, sure... but broadcast live? I didn't know that.
Broadcast live.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/bill...bo-1201471473/
Old 02-16-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Great response by Maher to Scahill's criticism of the decision to have Yiannopoulos on the show.
Should be an interesting show. I wonder how much free reign Maher will give Milo?
Old 02-17-2017, 09:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Morgan was taking a ridiculous position and deserved to get slapped around. It's one thing to be conservative, but quite another to argue Trump isn't a complete disaster.
Morgan (as he explained to Maher) isn't a "Conservative". In fact he used to be the editor of the Daily Mirror.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section Maker:Jupe View Post
Should be an interesting show. I wonder how much free reign Maher will give Milo?
Milo should expect an all-out attack from all sides. As if he is on trial.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
Morgan (as he explained to Maher) isn't a "Conservative". In fact he used to be the editor of the Daily Mirror.
I'm not sure how being editor of the Mirror makes him "not Conservative"; it's as reactionary a rag as the Mail is.

Left or right notwithstanding, Morgan is, however, what is known in common parlance as a "weaselly, unscrupulous cunt" and loathed by a sizable portion of the UK populace.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray vision View Post
I wouldn't want to do what he does.
I always thought that somewhere he might have a small cube-farm with people competing to present bit ideas... and wouldn't it be fun to be one of the 20 to come up with ideas for a week.

Reality is that Its just too fast paced for that and that the days of pitching ideas... jokes... funny lead ins and concepts...are over.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
No, it's not. It doesn't address anything at all about what is in the letter, which claims that all Maher will be doing is providing the man with a platform. It's just a swipe.

And that is what Maher does. He swipes. And that will only make Yiannopoulos look better to those he can attract. And if he's well behaved, then he looks good. There's no downside for him--hence why he's willing to do it.

When you've been banned from several countries, you're already exposed as a bad person. It's not something that needs to be done again. So that excuse rings hollow.

And the response is just an attack. Not a bit of understanding of why a guy might not want to be a part of it. No, someone disagrees with him, so he's the enemy.

All in all, it's a bad response.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I'm not sure how being editor of the Mirror makes him "not Conservative"; it's as reactionary a rag as the Mail is.

Left or right notwithstanding, Morgan is, however, what is known in common parlance as a "weaselly, unscrupulous cunt" and loathed by a sizable portion of the UK populace.
The Mirror is a Left-wing, Labour Party supporting newspaper. And if you saw the show you should have heard Morgan say that he wouldn't have voted for Trump (if he could) and that he always watches the Maher show and agrees with almost everything he says.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
No, it's not. It doesn't address anything at all about what is in the letter, which claims that all Maher will be doing is providing the man with a platform. It's just a swipe.

And that is what Maher does. He swipes. And that will only make Yiannopoulos look better to those he can attract. And if he's well behaved, then he looks good. There's no downside for him--hence why he's willing to do it.

When you've been banned from several countries, you're already exposed as a bad person. It's not something that needs to be done again. So that excuse rings hollow.

And the response is just an attack. Not a bit of understanding of why a guy might not want to be a part of it. No, someone disagrees with him, so he's the enemy.

All in all, it's a bad response.
Yiannopoulos is a reprehensible bigot but I agree with Maher in the sense that sunlight is the best anti-septic for vermin like him. Liberals should take every opportunity to debate these assholes publicly and expose them for what they really are.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Yiannopoulos is a reprehensible bigot but I agree with Maher in the sense that sunlight is the best anti-septic for vermin like him. Liberals should take every opportunity to debate these assholes publicly and expose them for what they really are.
Get a grip, snowflake.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Get a grip, snowflake.
Actually, that post was the opposite of "snowflake" behavior.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:25 AM

Judging by the amount of name calling in this thread, I can see why Bill M. is on the shit list.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:33 AM

His interview with Milo Whats-his-name-opolous was informative. The guy is a substance-free, worthless, troll, and I can't believe anyone pays any attention to him..

Last edited by John Mace; 02-19-2017 at 10:34 AM..
Old 02-19-2017, 12:17 PM

I was disappointed in how Bill Maher focused on trying to find agreement with Milo rather than pointing out all the hateful, dishonest, and otherwise awful things that he's said. Very weak interview, IMO.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:18 PM

Larry Wilmore sure picked up the slack -- in the YouTube aftershow, anyway.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I was disappointed in how Bill Maher focused on trying to find agreement with Milo rather than pointing out all the hateful, dishonest, and otherwise awful things that he's said. Very weak interview, IMO.
He should have put him in the stocks, eh. Give Maher his due, he will let those from the other side give their opinions. Rather than putting them on "trial" for not being Democrats.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
Larry Wilmore sure picked up the slack -- in the YouTube aftershow, anyway.
Did the clever man call Milo a ****?
Old 02-19-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
He should have put him in the stocks, eh.
???

Quote:
Give Maher his due, he will let those from the other side give their opinions. Rather than putting them on "trial" for not being Democrats.
No idea what these two sentences have to do with each other, or with what I said. I think hateful ideas and assertions should be challenged, criticized, and mocked, and Maher did very little of any of these three with Milo.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:29 PM

Mod Note

Quote:
Get a grip, snowflake.
Ease up and back on the personal retorts on here unless you're in the BBQ Pit.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
He literally told him to go fuck himself, after 5 minutes of Maher-agreed transphobia. Frankly, Milo is the one exception to my "gaybashing is bad" principle. My hope is that if it does happen, it happens in a seaport town so there's a large body of water to throw him into after the rocks are tied to his ankles. Fuck the Nazi.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Well. I'm not sure. What's "****" mean? Can you get your mom to take the content blocker off your computer and post it again or something?
Old 02-19-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
His interview with Milo Whats-his-name-opolous was informative. The guy is a substance-free, worthless, troll, and I can't believe anyone pays any attention to him..
I hadn't seen or heard him before. He seemed rather dull, which surprised me--since he's a famous troll, one would think he would have been at least a bit witty or memorable.

Maher really did drop the ball with his interview questions and comments, though. He seemed more interested in the guy's sexual orientation than in anything else about him.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
He literally told him to go fuck himself, after 5 minutes of Maher-agreed transphobia. Frankly, Milo is the one exception to my "gaybashing is bad" principle. My hope is that if it does happen, it happens in a seaport town so there's a large body of water to throw him into after the rocks are tied to his ankles. Fuck the Nazi.
Liberals, eh.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
Well. I'm not sure. What's "****" mean? Can you get your mom to take the content blocker off your computer and post it again or something?
Doesn't this site take a dim view of swearing?

I'm simply thinking of others.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:36 AM

It's just fucking words.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:53 AM

Milo had his head down for a lot of the talk. He could at least have been entertaining!
Old 02-20-2017, 07:13 AM

Milo Yiannopoulos is nowhere near as terrible as people say. He's just a troll. People who call him a Nazi or a white supremacist or whatever are just being histrionic.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pork-Chop Express View Post
Milo had his head down for a lot of the talk. He could at least have been entertaining!
Apart from a few jabs he was fairly moderate. I think he is a poor debater, and not a particularly great public speaker. However, as someone who is generally on his side in the culture wars im glad he came through it without being obliterated by Maher and his panel. I assume Milo knows what he's doing when it comes to successful media appearances, and he successfully accomplished what he set out to do on Maher's show.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:19 AM

Milo is a mental deficient and a self admitted troll. That much was obvious given his performance. Maher could have given him a well deserved mocking but I think Maher had a bigger point to make and that was that this is not who progressives should be protesting violently or boycotting TV show debates over. Milo is an imbecile and should be publicly treated as such, per the show's panel.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez View Post
Milo Yiannopoulos is nowhere near as terrible as people say. He's just a troll. People who call him a Nazi or a white supremacist or whatever are just being histrionic.
It's just "liberals" having the screaming vapours. I wonder how they would cope watching the Comedy Roasts, with biting gags about blacks, homosexuals, etc.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
It's just "liberals" having the screaming vapours. I wonder how they would cope watching the Comedy Roasts, with biting gags about blacks, homosexuals, etc.
Have you never seen a Comedy Roast?
Old 02-21-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Have you never seen a Comedy Roast?
I have, and they are full of gags about gays, blacks, etc. Ironic gags, true, but the extremists won't allow irony as a defense. These humorless bastards want no jokes whatsoever about their sacred cows.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I have, and they are full of gags about gays, blacks, etc. Ironic gags, true, but the extremists won't allow irony as a defense. These humorless bastards want no jokes whatsoever about their sacred cows.
So everything horrible Milo says about trans people, or gay people, or women, is a joke? That kind of directly contradicts other things that Milo actually says.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Speaking of biting, shame nobody here is, eh Jeffy?

A for effort, though. Okay, maybe B minus, but there's a curve.