The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 04-08-2016, 01:27 AM

Supernatural: Current season, Open spoilers

Hello, May you have a good life,

Ok, it seems like the last thread is balls old so I started a new one.

Ok, I just watched the latest one from yesterday and here be my thoughts.

Misha as Lucifer is bloody brilliant. Man, that sexy man can act.

Also, Lucifer, and Crowley and Cas in the Winchesters brain kitchen was awesome.

Plus, Yay! the Darkness is back. Let's hope she fucks some things up.

Also, Rowena, (or how ever the fuck you spell it), is back. Yay!

Carry on my wayward sons.
Advertisements  
Old 04-08-2016, 02:08 AM

Unfortunately next week is just more filler. Although the week after next, I think it is, Chuck/God(maby) will be back. So I'm looking forward to that, assuming that they reveal that Chuck is definitely God. If not it will probably be a disappointment.

In the episode two weeks ago, after Dean took the pills to try and bargain with Billie, she was sure he would die and seemed surprised when he was revived. I wonder if that was God's doing.

Also, I keep wondering, if Death was still alive would he be able to challenge Amara? He couldn't kill Dean while Dean had the mark. And the mark was powered by Amara, so... Also, how come Death and Amara didn't know each other. Either Death isn't as old as he claims, or else he met God after he locked Amara away.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:42 PM

Is Amara a twin? I think this season has been fine, but that last monthly break has me behind by 2 episodes. Luckily, CW's website let's me watch the show with no ads thanks to ad block. I'll catch up with SPN and The 100 this weekend.
I am hoping the big bad this season will go out with a bang instead of whimper, they have wrapped up plot lines too easily these past few seasons.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
Although the week after next, I think it is, Chuck/God(maby) will be back.
I hope so. That would be cool.

Spoiler about whether Chuck is God or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDo4yIJ4gSg

Quote:
In the episode two weeks ago, after Dean took the pills to try and bargain with Billie, she was sure he would die and seemed surprised when he was revived. I wonder if that was God's doing.
I think it might have been. When Chuck was ending the story, wearing the white cloths sitting at his computer drinking a scotch (or whatever) and then he writes "The End" and then vanishes, he says something like, "They chose family
and isn't that the point?"

Found video. Go to 4:30 to see Chuck make that remark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iEiUREEnuk

Since Dean died to get Sam I can believe God would allow him to come back. After all the chick was just a reaper. Surely God can out power her and it seems like it was just her personal vendetta.

Quote:
Also, I keep wondering, if Death was still alive would he be able to challenge Amara? He couldn't kill Dean while Dean had the mark. And the mark was powered by Amara, so... Also, how come Death and Amara didn't know each other. Either Death isn't as old as he claims, or else he met God after he locked Amara away.
I don't think Death could have taken Amara. Like you said with the mark thing. Death and Amara didn't know each other because God locked Amara away so that he could make the universe. If there's no universe there is no one to die and so no need for a Death. So I think Death came into existence when the universe was made which was after Amara was locked away. Plus she is supposed to be equal in power with God and heck in her full power she might be stronger than God. She is the older sibling. Plus it took God and the Archangels to lock her up.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothic View Post
Is Amara a twin?
According to Amara she is the older sibling.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:34 PM

Since there will be a 12th and possible 13th season, do you think Amara may be around after this season?
Old 04-08-2016, 04:21 PM

I find it strange that Billy said to Sam, "You and Dean dying and coming back again and again. The old Death thought it was funny." When in season six Death said to Dean, "You and your brother keep coming back. You're an affront to the balance of the universe, and you cause disruption on a global scale."

I know, I know, writers will ignore continuity if it gets in the way of the story they're trying to tell. Sorry, this will be the last gripe I make.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothic View Post
Since there will be a 12th and possible 13th season, do you think Amara may be around after this season?
I don't think so. There's so much filler I think they'll wrap up the Amara story line pretty quickly. I think if the producers are smart then next season they'll take the danger level down a notch. Kind of like after they saved the world from the apocalypse the next season was about getting Sam's soul back.

Since they've played around with some of the main characters changing species, I.E.

Sam briefly went full demon when using his demon blood powers.
Dean became a demon because of the blade.
Crowley was almost made into a human.
Castiel has been mostly human.

I would find it interesting to see Crowley made into an angel. Sam and Dean as angels would probably be interesting too.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I find it strange that Billy said to Sam, "You and Dean dying and coming back again and again. The old Death thought it was funny." When in season six Death said to Dean, "You and your brother keep coming back. You're an affront to the balance of the universe, and you cause disruption on a global scale."

I know, I know, writers will ignore continuity if it gets in the way of the story they're trying to tell. Sorry, this will be the last gripe I make.
What, Death can't find something to be both an affront to the balance of the universe AND funny?
Old 04-08-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
What, Death can't find something to be both an affront to the balance of the universe AND funny?
I guess he could be bipolar. "Damn Winchesters have been resurrected AGAIN!!! Hahahahaha."
Old 04-08-2016, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

The show has definitely improved this year. Best season since seasons 1-5.

I think they have realized that one of the boys keeping a secret from the other is not really great drama or even all that interesting. That kind of storyline is well-past tired on this show.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I guess he could be bipolar. "Damn Winchesters have been resurrected AGAIN!!! Hahahahaha."
I was thinking more like just because a comedian is offensive doesn't mean he's not still funny.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:47 PM

Looks like I lied. I have one more gripe.

Not only is there a lot of filler this season, but there's no episode this week, or next. We have to wait till the 27th to see a filler episode, and that's after we waited a month for the 3 most recent episodes we have seen.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:10 PM

Yeah, this is lame. I was all excited for this weeks episode after what happened last week.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:56 PM

A couple of days ago it hit me. I bet the person dying this season will be Rowena .
Old 04-24-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
A couple of days ago it hit me. I bet the person dying this season will be Rowena .
She already did once. Of course so did Dean when he thought Sam had. Really, it's more of a question of who won't die on this show. Despite whatever little ms reaper has to say about it.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
She already did once. Of course so did Dean when he thought Sam had. Really, it's more of a question of who won't die on this show. Despite whatever little ms reaper has to say about it.
Well I meant that she would die again, only permanently this time. I suppose Chuck could sacrifice himself to stop the Darkness, that wouldn't surprise me, but I don't think that will happen.

Edit: Then again, when Misha Collins said that at the end of season 10 that Castiel killed Crowley it was a big fat lie, so maybe this season the death mentioned was one of temporary ones.

Last edited by Nobody; 04-24-2016 at 06:49 PM..
Old 04-24-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
You mean Death might have an odd sense of humor?
Old 04-28-2016, 01:34 AM

This was pretty good for a filler episode, but now hopefully they'll focus on wrapping up this story arc and setting the next one for the next season.

Edit: Hey, the next episode is "Don't Call Me Shurley" I think we all know where this is headed.

Last edited by Nobody; 04-28-2016 at 01:36 AM..
Old 04-28-2016, 01:51 AM

Funny, I had to watch the promo again to see that Metatron is in it. Although he's not listed in the Supernatural Wikia page.

The plot it gives seems interesting, and under recurring cast it says,
Rob Benedict as God

Looking forward to it.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:29 AM

Quote:
This was pretty good for a filler episode, but now hopefully they'll focus on wrapping up this story arc and setting the next one for the next season.
Meh. The quality of "filler" episodes this season is so good that I'd be perfectly happy if they dropped any pretense of a story arc and just went completely episodic. Just the Winchester brothers, travelling from town to town, huntin' monsters. Isn't that the whole point of the series?
Old 04-29-2016, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Meh. The quality of "filler" episodes this season is so good that I'd be perfectly happy if they dropped any pretense of a story arc and just went completely episodic. Just the Winchester brothers, travelling from town to town, huntin' monsters. Isn't that the whole point of the series?
I don't know. We got a taste of that in the first season. And story arcs got us Castiel, Crowley, and Rowena. I would say Charlie, but the producers killed her off, the bastards!
Anyway, it might work, but I'm so use to story arcs that I would probably feel that something was missing if they stopped.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:39 AM

Quote:
I don't know. We got a taste of that in the first season. And story arcs got us Castiel, Crowley, and Rowena. I would say Charlie, but the producers killed her off, the bastards!
Anyway, it might work, but I'm so use to story arcs that I would probably feel that something was missing if they stopped.
Cas and Crowley, I'll give you. But Rowena I absolutely loathe, and Charlie was killed because she got pulled into a story arc; before that, she was a wonderful recurring character who shined in standalone episodes. Becoming part of an arc was the worse thing that could happen to her.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:07 AM

It wasn't even a good story arc that killed Charlie. I thought very little of the whole Stine family thing, especially after having story arcs involving angels and demons, the forces of destiny, and the freaking Apocalypse. I was devastated by Jo and Ellen's deaths, but at least their deaths meant something: sacrifice, loving others more than yourself, a willingness to fight and die for a better world. Charlie's death would have been so easily avoidable if she had just gone to a different damned room from Rowena while staying in the same protected building. Or if she had been carrying a weapon of some sort. Or had told the good guys where she was going to be.

Overall, though, I love this show hard and I've been very impressed with this season so far. I'm giddy about next week's show -- I've been avoiding spoilers, but from the episode title it looks like Chuck will be back and that can only mean good things.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:10 AM

I remember when people were arguing with me about whether that guy was actually God back in the Apocalypse season...
Old 04-29-2016, 03:51 PM

Which side did you argue? When he disappeared at the end of season 5, I figured one possible explanation was that his job of chronicling the Winchester Gospels was finished and he was allowed to go straight to Heaven as his reward for a job well done. When he made his cameo at the end of Fan Fiction, though, I didn't know if there could be another explanation besides his actually being God.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:15 AM

Well, that was a pretty good episode. Some interesting reveals about God/Chuck. Curtis Armstrong was great as Metatron, and it ended on a good cliffhanger.

My only complaint was the meta self deprecating humor. It just made me roll my eyes.

I am worried that the producers are fond of killing off characters. I would be annoyed if they killed off Chuck. Mainly because they've recently killed off Death, Charlie and Cain. Lucifer and Amara are probably goners. I think God should hang around a while longer.

And finally, I have a theory. After God locked the Darkness away he created a lesser version of the Darkness, Death. Think about it. God said that the Darkness always destroyed his creations. Death's role was to reap his creations. Also, it would explain why Death and the Darkness never met.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:56 AM

This is Death's first conversation with Dean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK4T73n9GbU He says that He is as old as God, maybe older, that neither of them can quite remember. I'd say that there's a difference between Amara's destruction and Death's reaping: what Death reaps is the soul, which then goes on to spend eternity in whichever part of the afterlife it is suited for. Amara has been consuming souls to strengthen herself, but we have no indication that those souls retain their uniqueness after consumption.

I have a theory of my own, though: Amara and Dean are bound together, He can't hurt her, or at least isn't able to muster up the will to try to when she's there with him. She has said that they will always be there to help one another and has in fact taken him out of harm's way more than once. Her evil fog doesn't affect him. I think this season might end with the Darkness being locked away again but that Dean will be locked away with her.

And now that God's out in the open, could someone please please please talk to Him about getting Adam out of the Cage now that Lucifer isn't even in there anymore?

I really enjoyed this episode, I have to say. Good gracious, they somehow succeeded in making Metatron seem just a bit likeable again, and how major an achievement is that?
Old 05-05-2016, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Wow. This was the BEST episode... Answered long-standing questions, tied up some plot points, and FINALLY WENT THERE by having God appear.

I think this has surpassed the Musical episode as my favorite Supernatural episode.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantih View Post
This is Death's first conversation with Dean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK4T73n9GbU He says that He is as old as God, maybe older, that neither of them can quite remember.
Yes, he says that, but maybe God is just letting him think that. Also, if he was around before or at the same time as God, why has he never met the Darkness?

He also said one day he'd reap God. Since God doesn't have a soul, how would that work?

Edit: I almost forgot,

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantih View Post
I think this season might end with the Darkness being locked away again but that Dean will be locked away with her.
Excellent theory.

Quote:
Good gracious, they somehow succeeded in making Metatron seem just a bit likeable again, and how major an achievement is that?
It seems when doesn't have any power he's just fine. Power seems to go to his head and quickly corrupt him.

Last edited by Nobody; 05-05-2016 at 04:01 PM..
Old 05-05-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelq View Post
Wow. This was the BEST episode... Answered long-standing questions, tied up some plot points, and FINALLY WENT THERE by having God appear.

I think this has surpassed the Musical episode as my favorite Supernatural episode.
Wow, did Supernatural get better writers? I think this is the best episode so far. Maybe top 5, but I'm thinking number 1 spot here. I missed the first 9 seasons or so, and binge watched, so my memory isn't a decade old, but even season 1-3 didn't have much of this quality.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
I remember when people were arguing with me about whether that guy was actually God back in the Apocalypse season...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epimetheus View Post
Wow, did Supernatural get better writers? I think this is the best episode so far. Maybe top 5, but I'm thinking number 1 spot here. I missed the first 9 seasons or so, and binge watched, so my memory isn't a decade old, but even season 1-3 didn't have much of this quality.
I don't know if they got a new showrunner this year, but a lot of great decisions were made behind the scenes. Season 11 is the best since the first 5 seasons. Probably better than season 1, making it the 5th best season overall.

I'm really happy.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:25 AM

Ah damn. They kill off Metatron just when started to like him.

Also, Amara's backstory and motives have changed a few times and that was quite annoying, but other than that I love everything else and next week's episode looks like it's going to be awesome.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:51 PM

I apologize for seemingly abandoning this thread. I could't log in for a while because I am the dum-dum.

Anyways I waited to watch the last two episodes until I could log in and talk about them.

Episode 22:
Thoughts:

Chuck and Lucifer having their chit-chat showdown at the bunker was cool. I'm interested to see if Lucy goes back to being on Chucks side or if he goes back to his old ways.

Misha as Lucy has been brilliant throughout. That man can act.

Chuck and Amara having their little chit-chat battle at the end and Chuck getting all emotional. That was cool. I liked that Chuck said that "creation"/"being" was always there, like him and Amara, and just needed to be brought forth without Amara destroying it, just cuz, cuz that's what she does.

Amara practically killing Chuck and thus ending reality according to Chuck. Since you need both aspects of him and Amara for it to exist. Thats balls yo.

Episode 23:

Well my first point got answered. Lucy was whisked away to somewhere or outright destroyed.

I thought the idea of a "light bomb" was cool. Reminded me of Doctor Who's "reality bomb".

Dean only hesitated for a second before deciding he had to be the bomb to save everyone else was cool.

Amara in the park killing flowers just by touching them and not really liking that and then talking to the old lady about family and that even if you "hate" them you still love them was cool.

Dean talking to Amara about family and how you always choose family harkens back to when Chuck finished up his "Book of Winchester" series and says basically that, "In the end they chose family and isn't that the whole point." before Chuck disappears in his whites.

Chuck and Amara getting all chummy and then saying they are going on a break and then Lady Gentlemans Letters showing up and shooting Samantha make me think they are going back to a lesser story arc than "God and The Darkness" next season. It doesn't seem like they are going back to a monster of the week format but a showdown with the Winchesters and the London Chapter of the Men of Letters. Which can be cool in it's own right.

I'm thinking they probably won't get back to the God/Darkness thing until the end of the last season and the show will be all like, "Yeah G&D are cool with Gs creation continuing but you guys have to figure the shit out on your own. We outy".
Old 06-02-2016, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
then Lady Gentlemans Letters showing up and shooting Samantha
You mean Sam, right? Also, didn't we just hear a gunshot? If we didn't see it, it's usually an indication that something else happened. Like someone hiding in the bunker popped out and shot her instead. Or she gave a warning shot.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
You mean Sam, right?
Yeah. I was just being a goof.

Quote:
Also, didn't we just hear a gunshot? If we didn't see it, it's usually an indication that something else happened. Like someone hiding in the bunker popped out and shot her instead. Or she gave a warning shot.
True. And it's not like they haven't been shot a million times before and survived. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Chuck and Amara getting all chummy and then saying they are going on a break and then Lady Gentlemans Letters showing up and shooting Samantha make me think they are going back to a lesser story arc than "God and The Darkness" next season. It doesn't seem like they are going back to a monster of the week format but a showdown with the Winchesters and the London Chapter of the Men of Letters. Which can be cool in it's own right.

I'm thinking they probably won't get back to the God/Darkness thing until the end of the last season and the show will be all like, "Yeah G&D are cool with Gs creation continuing but you guys have to figure the shit out on your own. We outy".

I'm thinking along the same lines. I'm glad they didn't drag out the Chuck vs. Amara battle. I don't like seeing "The Boys" in battles where they don't know how to fight or kill whatever evil encounter. Taking a few episodes to discover, learn about and destroy something is fine. But the Boys being helpless for very long doesn't play well and causes some fans (myself included) to start losing interest. I wasn't a big fan of Season 6 because of the Leviathian story line lasted so long....

I'm very glad that they have been renewed for Season 12 and I hope it isn't the last one. I also hope that Charlie somehow comes back to life (how many times have Sam & Dean died only to be resurrected)??? She was such a fun character and added a great dynamic to the show....
Old 06-09-2016, 12:07 PM

I'm a season behind. I'll start binge-watching one of these days soon. That seems to be my thing with this show. I fall further and further behind and then I've got a whole season to watch. It's great when I get to watch last season's finale and jump right into the next season.

Last edited by levdrakon; 06-09-2016 at 12:08 PM..
Old 06-09-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebubba View Post
I also hope that Charlie somehow comes back to life (how many times have Sam & Dean died only to be resurrected)??? She was such a fun character and added a great dynamic to the show....
Yeah, she was fun. I wish they would have made her the new Bobby. Not a main focus but around to help out the boys now and then.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:12 PM

I'm a huge fan, but I wonder how much longer the show can go on before they run out of ideas.

As for returning characters, besides wanting to see Charlie resurrected I would love to see Death return. And I wonder why the writers didn't have God spring Adam/Michael from the cage to make even a brief appearance. I wonder if Jake Able was too busy or if the producers or writers didn't want to have to deal with his character.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:35 PM

Well, I hinestly thought this had to be the last season. I mean they just had a battle with God's sister with God on their side. Where the heck do you go from their?
Old 06-10-2016, 12:10 PM

I agree. After dealing with supposedly two most powerful beings in the universe if they go back to just monster of the week it'll seem lame. I'd still watch because I like the characters though.

That's why I like my theory that Sam got kidnapped by the Lady of Letters and taken back to London, or wherever and Dean goes to rescue him and they misunderstand each other for a bunch of episodes but eventually come to an understanding and then agree to join houses and restart the Men of Letters and recruit some people and then end the season and the show with Dean giving a speech saying, "Well God has said he's taking a back seat to humanity so it is up to us to protect humanity."
Old 01-22-2017, 01:10 PM

Hot damn, this thread is older than my Great Great Great Grandma's shoe collection.

But I just got around to watching the newest episode and:

SPOILER:
The boys and Crowley and Rowena had cast Lucifer out of the Presidents body and then Crowley and Rowena vanished and left the boys to get arrested by the Secret Service.

Also Kelly is a butt-face.

Last edited by Drunky Smurf; 01-22-2017 at 01:10 PM..
Old 01-22-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Hot damn, this thread is older than my Great Great Great Grandma's shoe collection.

But I just got around to watching the newest episode and:

SPOILER:
The boys and Crowley and Rowena had cast Lucifer out of the Presidents body and then Crowley and Rowena vanished and left the boys to get arrested by the Secret Service.
Actually, that's part of the plan.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:51 PM

Plan, what plan? You know the plan? What is the plan? Because apparently I completely missed it.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:49 PM

I don't know what the plan is, but I do know that the brothers told the others to get out of sight while they stayed and let themselves get arrested. I'm guessing that British guy will probably rescue them or something.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:50 AM

I just watched the newest episode, I know I'm slow on keeping current, but you were exactly right Nobody.

The British MoL found them after their escape with a thermal detecting satellite FROM SPACE!

The forest chase scene was pretty intense and once they get away and run into Cas and Mary and the Brits it seemed like all was good. But then Billy shows up and they explain how they actually escaped. AND THEN Billy wants to take a Winchester and I thought for sure that Mary was going to sacrifice herself AND THEN Cas is all "I don't so!" and stabs Billy with the angel knife and kills here.

That was an intense episode.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:29 PM

When the British Men of Letters were going on about the faults of American hunters Mary should have said something like, "When our first introduction to your group is getting tortured, do you blame us for not trusting you?"

Since Castiel killed Billie I wonder what the, "consequences on a cosmic scale," will be.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:39 AM

Quote:
I'm a huge fan, but I wonder how much longer the show can go on before they run out of ideas....
They ran out of ideas a couple of seasons ago. Then arose from the dead. Which is hardly surprising.

I'll stay with The Boys 'til the end. Especially when Castiel & the King of Hell tag along....
Old 01-29-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Since Castiel killed Billie I wonder what the, "consequences on a cosmic scale," will be.
Yeah...plus, what good did killing a Reaper actually do? Won't another one just come along and still demand a Winchester? And possibly Castiel's life, now, too, for balance/payback?