The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 09-24-2016, 09:52 AM

This is Us TV show

I don't remember ever enjoying the first episode of any series as much as I enjoyed this one.

A number of people, all 36 years old on the same day...seemingly unconnected...but, guess what?
Advertisements  
Old 09-24-2016, 07:48 PM

I really hope that they figure out a way to get more Gerald McRaney throughout the season. To paraphrase his character in the pilot, I really like him.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:49 AM

Excellent episode, excellent ending.

Regarding that ending...

SPOILER:
Did anyone see it coming? I thought to myself that the Jack character seemed right out of the 70s and seemed miscast, but that is as far as I took that thought.

I also thought the doctor was great.

mmm
Old 09-26-2016, 06:58 AM

I've never learned how to use the spoiler thingy, so I'll just say I missed any clues before the fire chief did something very odd.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:34 AM

Crucible, just put any text you want spoilered between Spoiler Brackets with a slash on the second one:

(Spoiler)top secret text(/Spoiler)

But substitute [] for ()

mmm
Old 09-26-2016, 09:32 AM

So....can someone spoiler the twist for me?
Old 09-26-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
So....can someone spoiler the twist for me?
Me too, because after seeing a million promos for this show I still have absolutely no idea what it's about.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:49 AM

Regarding the ending... I knew it was coming as soon as the doc came to deliver the news.

Sir T-Cups:
SPOILER:
The folks are related. Milo Ventimilia (sp?) and Mandy Moore are the biological parents to the other white main actors and adopted the black main actor - basically they were going to have triplets but one died, so they decided to adopt the black kid
Old 09-26-2016, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

And to add to that,
SPOILER:
part of the show is set in 1980, when the babies are born, and part is set in the present day, when the three younger cast members are 36 years old. And in the 1980 sequence, I believe the father is also turning 36 on the same day. Another character is the recently rediscovered father of the African-American banker.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:01 AM

I feel like a complete idiot. I didn't get any of that when I watched the show. WTH is wrong with me? I must go back and re-watch. On my behalf I was watched the show not long after happy hour.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
And to add to that,
SPOILER:
part of the show is set in 1980, when the babies are born, and part is set in the present day, when the three younger cast members are 36 years old. And in the 1980 sequence, I believe the father is also turning 36 on the same day. Another character is the recently rediscovered father of the African-American banker.
I'll admit I'm not in the target audience, but that actually sounds like a reasonably interesting premise vs. whatever the promos were trying to show. I'm not sure what the point of keeping it secret was, if the twist is given away in the first episode.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:22 PM

I think the big question is where do they go from here. While I did like the twisty premier, they are certainly not going to Twilightzone us every episode. The writing and acting has to be up to snuff if they want me hanging around.

Based on the first episode I am hopeful.

mmm
Old 09-26-2016, 03:48 PM

Sweet.

Thanks for the spoilers all
Old 09-26-2016, 09:28 PM

When the older doctor was talking to the pregnant woman, I kept thinking it was weird how he would constantly call her "hun" and "sweetie" and that kind of stuff. Then I was trying to figure out what the twist would be and briefly thought "what if they're in different times? Nahhh, it wouldn't be that."
Old 09-27-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Crucible, just put any text you want spoilered between Spoiler Brackets with a slash on the second one:

(Spoiler)top secret text(/Spoiler)

But substitute [] for ()

mmm
thank you!
Old 09-27-2016, 07:42 AM

I watched some of it and kind of lost interest but after reading this I wish I'd stuck it out. Will definitely give it another chance. Is it just me or was the meeting of the overweight characters a clone of the first episode of Mike & Molly?
Old 09-27-2016, 08:01 AM

The one thing that gave me pause was the rather elderly medical equipment.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:31 AM

I thought the same exact thing WOOKINPANUB. That's a scene straight out of Mike & Molly from season one. Glad I'm not the only one that didn't get that they were from different years.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:04 PM

SPOILER:
I think the premier would have been spoiled if the time delta was more obvious

Last edited by crucible; 09-27-2016 at 06:04 PM..
Old 09-27-2016, 10:02 PM

Another twist!

And apparently,
SPOILER:
the Doctor is back
Old 09-30-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
And to add to that,
SPOILER:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUZ MAC View Post
I feel like a complete idiot. I didn't get any of that when I watched the show. WTH is wrong with me? I must go back and re-watch. On my behalf I was watched the show not long after happy hour.
I didn't catch it either, until I started the 2nd episode. I caught that Randall was a multiple from his email, so I figured it was related to that but couldn't tie Jack into that. I got it as I read this thread and watched the start of the 2nd ep at the same time.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious j View Post
I didn't catch it either, until I started the 2nd episode. I caught that Randall was a multiple from his email, so I figured it was related to that but couldn't tie Jack into that. I got it as I read this thread and watched the start of the 2nd ep at the same time.
Dad and I didn't catch it until the beginning of episode 2, either. We predicted that the parents would adopt the baby, but never considered that the baby might be Randall. We did notice he knew the "twins" though, because there's a picture of the three of them in someone's house late in the first episode, but didn't consider them being siblings was how they knew each other.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
Dad and I didn't catch it until the beginning of episode 2, either. We predicted that the parents would adopt the baby, but never considered that the baby might be Randall. We did notice he knew the "twins" though, because there's a picture of the three of them in someone's house late in the first episode, but didn't consider them being siblings was how they knew each other.
Oh my god, I think I'll blame the wine for this one. I remember that. I was looking for answers, and when the 2 other kids were talking about their dad at Katie's house I looked at that photo, even watched that bit twice, and thought
SPOILER:
"Their dad was black???" That's how far I was from placing Randall with them. I think part of it was because the way they talked about what dad used to say, I figured he was long gone.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:49 PM

I watched all the episodes out so far on Saturday. I knew when I was bawling like a baby with Gerald McRaney in the first episode I was hooked.

I cried again in the episode where Kate
SPOILER:
reveals why she watches Sunday Night Football by herself.

So many twists. I love the interaction between Beth and Randall, and that the characters are flawed but they know they're flawed and they're dealing with that. I'm thinking Randall may have some underlying mental health issues. Beth told William he was under so much pressure once he went blind.

Still to find out:
SPOILER:
When Jack dies and when Becca marries Miguel. I'm thinking it must have been when the kids were teenagers.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Regarding your first spoiler box (and do we really need to use spoiler boxes here?),
SPOILER:
I read a recap of that episode that thought that Kate was weird for having her father's ashes at home and watching NFL games with him. Is that really weird? I thought it was reasonably common for people to keep cremains in an urn at home. (My brother has the cremains of his first dog on the fireplace mantel and perhaps that's weird. But is it weird to have your father's cremains at home?)

And by the way, how clueless was her boyfriend to pause the football game (let alone during a critical point in the game)? I'm far from a major sports nut, but even I know you don't do that. NFL games have enough commercial breaks and time-outs and so forth that there's plenty of time to talk if you want to.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

One theory I've considered with regard to Jack (although I'm not sure if it's too much even for this show):
SPOILER:
Is it possible that he died on 9/11?
Old 11-07-2016, 01:47 PM

That's a possibility, but I think that would make the kids too old. The vibe I got from Kevin, describing how he destroyed all his models and that it happened "a long long time ago" made me think they were younger when Jack died. Not too young that Miguel would become New Daddy (Randall calls him Miguel while his daughters call him Grandpa) but not too old that there wouldn't be some adolescent reaction to grief. I could see a young Kevin trashing all his models. I can't see an adult Kevin doing the same.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

I think 21 is young enough to still have some adolescent-style grief -- they could still be in college, with "home" still being their parents. I was just trying to think of a recognizable event in American history that would fit the timeline, and that was the most obvious one.

Could easily just be the classic drunk driving crash -- we've already established Jack as having issues with drinking.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

I doubt they would have any remains if Jack was lost on 9/11. I think he is going to die from a consequence of his drinking, maybe after his architecture / building firm fails.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:18 PM

Last we saw he was joining up with Miguel, who just got promoted. I think he shelved his plans to go out on his own in order to have a steady income to put Randall through the private school.

KKR seem to think of their father fondly. I don't think that would be the case if he started drinking again.

Last edited by ivylass; 11-07-2016 at 02:18 PM..
Old 11-15-2016, 09:22 AM

Bumping because there's a new episode on tonight!
Old 11-16-2016, 08:57 AM

They made me tear up again, with Randall saying, "That's the first time you claimed me as your brother."

I thought Toby was bingeing to regain the weight so Kate wouldn't feel so bad. If they're not on the same page that relationship is unhealthy, but it seems that Kate is strong enough to let Toby go.

Favorite line, "You're not cancering out on me!" (or something like that. Too funny.)

I did feel sorry for Randall growing up. He must have felt like such the outsider and when he became an adult he shut things down to keep from getting hurt. I would like to see more of why Kate and Becca are estranged.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:00 PM

The casting for the teenagers is perfect. If you told me that they'd pulled a Boyhood and actually filmed those scenes when the lead actors were younger I might believe you for a moment. Teenage Randall has the right voice, teenage Kevin is the perfect generic pretty boy like adult Kevin, teenage Kate is a dead ringer.

I like the show but Kate's story is becoming tedious. She seems to dump Toby every episode. I think they've boxed themselves into a corner by making her arc all about her weight. The actress will likely always be fat so where does this lead? They need to give her something else to do so she can become more interesting.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:37 PM

I do love this show and I love Kate. They did make her a good manager, a desirable employee, fashionable, a wonderful singer, and a great sister, but in the end all anyone does see is fat, including Kate herself. I totally get this. No matter what we do, everything in our lives revolves around being fat and trying to lose weight and fighting and failing to make that change. I bawled when I saw her at the gas station before she even reached over. I knew what she was doing because I've been there so many times myself.

It's just like her brother, Kevin. He's just "The Manny". That's all people see about him, and why this episode was so touching. He was more than that to his brother but he never noticed, he was so busy fighting for attention for himself and thinking Mom loved him more.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:38 AM

Kate dumped Toby again this week. I think she had two lines that weren't about her weight. The other characters are also fairly one-dimensional, but at least their arcs are going somewhere. Kate is just stuck.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:32 PM

I read an interview with the actress who plays Kate and it sounds like there is possibly going to be a weight loss in her future. I don't know if the actress is getting the gastric bypass; it was all very vague.

I was a little frustrated about Randall. As intelligent as he is, you'd think it wouldn't be too hard for him to understand why his mother might want to keep him in the dark about his drug-addicted biological father.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

That's one way of looking at things. From Randall's point of view, he missed having a relationship with his biological father for the first 36 years of his life.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Gusterson View Post
Kate dumped Toby again this week. I think she had two lines that weren't about her weight. The other characters are also fairly one-dimensional, but at least their arcs are going somewhere. Kate is just stuck.
I was just thinking the same thing. I get it. Kate hates being fat. But this show has been on long enough that if her character doesn't develop anymore soon, her brittleness over the weight problem will make her totally unlikable. If it continues at this rate, a character like her will kill herself. And I'm pretty sure the actress and the show don't want that to be what happens to Kate.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:10 AM

No one's watching?

Damn show made me cry AGAIN. "That must have been desperately lonely for you." Randall is so insightful.

I liked Kevin getting with the AT&T girl. Olivia has way too much secret emotional baggage.

I also liked Toby shutting Kate down. He doesn't want to be in the Friend Zone.

The push-ups in the dojo were fantastic, and young William crying at the lost opportunity to spend time with his son was gut-wrenching, but I can see Becca's reasoning. Plus, if Randall was nine, and William had only been sober for five years...

Next week's episode is titled "Last Christmas." I wonder if that means we're getting closer to what happened to Jack.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:53 AM

I'm still watching and enjoying. Maybe it was just her wardrobe this week, but it looked like the fat woman is getting fatter.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:53 PM

My wife and I were both convinced after the pilot episode that there were 2 sets of triplets. That the "black father abandoning a child, getting adopted into a white family" theme was repeating itself. We keep waiting for that 2nd family to reappear.

I realize that we're dealing with the same triplets, one current and one in the 80's - I mean a completely different family with new babies, in the current time.

Was anyone else similarly confused?
Old 12-05-2016, 01:28 PM

"Nothing bad can happen on Christmas Eve," is a line from the winter break episode preview. That surely means something bad is going to happen.

/adding two ply tissues to shopping list/
Old 12-07-2016, 03:14 PM

The twists, they just keep coming.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:04 PM

Didn't anyone else watch yet? It might be because of the day I had, but the last 15-20 minutes or so, starting with Randall's rooftop conversation, tore me up. Now we have to wait weeks for another episode? Boo.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:54 PM

Every possible cliche imaginable all in one episode and that horrifically depressing finish has me thinking I'm done.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushgeekgirl View Post
Every possible cliche imaginable all in one episode and that horrifically depressing finish has me thinking I'm done.
This was the first time I felt that there were just too many cliches involved with the show, it's generally been smarter than that. But then again, it's easy to cliche Christmas episodes. I hope it returns stronger than it finished.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:44 AM

We got Gerald McRaney again. That's enough for me.

So on Broadway a lead actress can just take off and they shut down a play? What about the understudy? IRL would Olivia face any consequences for bailing like that?

"Grandpa's gay. Or at least bi." The expression on Randall's face was priceless.

Last edited by ivylass; 12-09-2016 at 10:44 AM..
Old 12-09-2016, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

I think they said Olivia took off a month ago, so presumably they've had the understudy in the lead role. But I'll bet she's not as much of a draw as Olivia was (since Olivia was supposedly a known actress), so perhaps ticket sales suffered to the point that the producers decided to shut down the play.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:56 AM

Bumping. The thread is several episodes behind, so I'll just skip ahead to last night (1/24).

Last night's episode...
SPOILER:
...hints at the when but not the how of Jack's death.

The actor playing Young Randall is killing it! His mannerisms and delivery are spot on.

The ending irritated me.
SPOILER:
How and why does she still have his number after 12 years of no contact? And how did he know she was nearby and single?

Not a fan of the horse guy.

I may be one of the few who likes Toby, though.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:11 AM

You're not alone - wife and I think Toby's great. I loved his interactions with Kevin, explaining how he can't get girls with his looks so he had to do it with romantic gestures. He's a confident guy, not afraid to be who he is; unlike Kevin. Thought it was a perfect reflection of Kevin's insecurity.

Best new show so far. Absolutely loving it.