The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 10-07-2016, 01:32 PM

I remember an analysis that Larry Niven once wrote.
Either time travel is possible, or it isn't.
If it is, then either it's possible to change past events, or it isn't.
If it is, then time travelers will change the past, over and over again -- until they end up with a timeline in which time travel was never invented.
So we have nothing to worry about.
Advertisements  
Old 10-07-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendarii Dame View Post
Someone should start a support group, Time Travelers Anonymous: "Hi, my name is Lucy, and I changed history so some things that were bad were improved, but other things that were good went bad."

"Hi, Lucy. My name is Barry..."
"Support Group fro Time Travelers and the People Who Would Love Them if They Hadn't Been Erased From Time"
Old 10-07-2016, 01:43 PM

I was sort of on the fence about it until the end when she found the "present" was altered. I think this show has good potential.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:57 PM

Is it me, or is the prototype time machine they're using have a Mobiüs Strip-like belt running around it. If so, I think that's kinda cool.

Last edited by cmyk; 10-07-2016 at 02:58 PM..
Old 10-07-2016, 08:43 PM

So you hire this historian to travel back in time, presumably for her knowlege of history, then after her first mission, history has changed enough to make her expertise questionable at best on anything happening after the Hindenburg? Good move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I hope every episode won't include discrimination against the black character. That could easily be over done.
Boss: "you know why it has to be you"

Guy: "Yeah so we can make some point about America never being so great, right?"

And it's already well past getting over done on CW's Legends of Tomorrow.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:12 PM

When will she meet Khan Noonian Singh?
Old 10-08-2016, 12:02 AM
Charter Member

I thought it was fairly good and will keep watching. I did like that stuff had changed when they got back - it can potentially make the ongoing story a lot more interesting than if they returned everything to the way it was supposed to be at the end of each episode.

Quote:
Delta Force Guy: So we can't go back to '37, give it another shot?

Rufus: No. Remember, we can't double back to any place where we meet ourselves. There are no do overs.
The next lines should've been:

Lucy: Yeah, but... someone else could just go, couldn't they?

Rufus: Huh. I hadn't thought of that...
Old 10-08-2016, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

I liked it enough to keep watching.
I was also yelling "throw the bomb out the window!"
If not actually bad, the good guys definitely have an alternate agenda.

Brian
Old 10-11-2016, 01:59 PM

I liked it, I think I have to watch a bit more to decide if I get hooked, it has a great potential let's hope the writers don't ruin it.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos L Halper View Post
I thought it was fairly good and will keep watching. I did like that stuff had changed when they got back - it can potentially make the ongoing story a lot more interesting than if they returned everything to the way it was supposed to be at the end of each episode.

Not in the same machine, they couldn't.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:51 PM

I liked last night episode. I really liked that they have some feelings about changing the past. To put right what once went wrong so to speak and are torn on it. I'll definitely watch the entire season at this point unless for some reason it takes a serious nose dive in quality.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:30 PM

I'm in for the entire season, even if it declines in quality. I would watch almost anything that features Paterson Joseph and Goran Višnjić.

One nitpick: the female lead is given clothing that is reasonably appropriate to the time period she's entering, yet she always wears eyeliner and mascara, which would look weird (or hooker-ish) in earlier times.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:37 PM

I was really hoping someone would swat a butterfly at some point.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
I was really hoping someone would swat a butterfly at some point.
I doubt that they'd want to remind us of that concept, given that they are making HUGE changes to the past, yet come back to 'nothing has changed except that the history books mention a different assassin of Lincoln' or 'nothing has changed except one character's mother didn't marry the same man.'

Okay, Bradbury's "butterfly" thing is posited to have happened millions of years back, whereas this show's changes go back only 151 years (so far). Still, it's implausible that everything would be pretty much the same after all the changes they made:
SPOILER:
Grant was in a different place that day; Johnson was not in the presence of gunfire as depicted (his would-be assassin got drunk instead of trying to kill him); the people actually in the theater box with Lincoln were displaced in the show's version and would have done different things.
And of course that's a very short excerpt from what would be a very long list of things changed by the show's characters.

Yeah, it's only a TV show. But when it comes to high-concept, I like to be able to feel respect for the amount of thought the creators put into their story. This show is entertaining enough, but I suspect it's too slapdash to be as compelling as any great cult show must be.

Last edited by Sherrerd; 10-11-2016 at 05:02 PM..
Old 10-11-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
I doubt that they'd want to remind us of that concept, given that they are making HUGE changes to the past, yet come back to 'nothing has changed except that the history books mention a different assassin of Lincoln' or 'nothing has changed except one character's mother didn't marry the same man.'
We can't really be sure what the larger scale changes are but there could be some that have no be shown. Honestly, I'm ok with the level of change we see. For one thing, there is practical side that showing larger scale changes requires more writing and so is easier to screw up. From an in-universe perspective, it could be that there is a certain amount of inertia to history. Take the people that survived the Hindenburg. Maybe none of them made that much of a change to the historical outcome. It seems that the "bad guy" (and I agree they will probably be shown to be the good guys) are choosing specific changes that will have a very large effect. Like killing four key people instead of just Lincoln.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:32 PM

Some changes are pivotal, some just get "damped out" by historical inertia. For instance, in any given Presidential election, it probably matters who won. It would matter a lot less who the losing nominee was.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:01 PM

Lincoln is such an overused choice in time travel stories. Pretty ironic since his assassination is such a pivotal moment. It can't be changed without a massive and unpredictable change in the future. Much more so than saving people on the Hindenburg.

I'm bit confused with the idea that the bad guys are good implications. Trying to fulfill Booth's master plan of killing the heads of the Union just can't be spun as "good". It would have rained even more vengeance and devastation on the South. The Confederacy's army was shattered at that point and nothing could change that.

I guess this show will do Hitler soon. It's another obvious time travel story writers can't resist.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-11-2016 at 06:03 PM..
Old 10-11-2016, 06:51 PM

Is it any better than the average Mr. Peabody and Sherman episode. Or The Time Tunnel?
Old 10-11-2016, 07:30 PM

I watched the first two episodes and was pleasantly surprised. This was fun. I liked that they had the nerve to change history. Most shows like this put all the toys back where they found them. I am also interested in finding out what the bad guy (or is he?) is up to. And it is nice to see Lem from Better Off Ted again. He looks different but I recognized his voice immediately.

I'm in.

Last edited by Quimby; 10-11-2016 at 07:30 PM..
Old 10-11-2016, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

At the beginning of this episode, one of the black soldiers asks Rufus to write out something for them, giving him paper and a pencil. I was wondering what would have happened if they'd given him a fountain pen, or even a quill and inkpot. Because there are so many minor things that would be known to someone in the past that many of us don't know today. Like horse riding, or starting a fire.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfreud View Post
I'm in for the entire season, even if it declines in quality. I would watch almost anything that features Paterson Joseph and Goran Višnjić.

One nitpick: the female lead is given clothing that is reasonably appropriate to the time period she's entering, yet she always wears eyeliner and mascara, which would look weird (or hooker-ish) in earlier times.
And obvious lipstick. And no hat - what Civil War era lady left the house without a hat? I know she somehow lost her bonnet from her original outfit, but then she bought a new outfit to wear to the theatre, but no hat?
Old 10-12-2016, 01:58 AM

Wow. Watched a few minutes of this. Bad CG, bad acting, bad understanding of academia, Bad science (the non-sci-fi parts even), bad cliches. I understand pilots aren't a metric for future quality, but I don't understand it.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
Wow. Watched a few minutes of this.
A whole few minutes. Impressive.

Quote:
Bad CG
The CG is fine for a TV show where the CG isn't the star.

Quote:
, bad acting,
I disagree.

Quote:
bad understanding of academia
Not relevant. It isn't a documentary on academia.

Quote:
, Bad science (the non-sci-fi parts even),
Also not really all that relevant except maybe in a subjective sense, although I don't understand why it should matter. I don't watch TV for good or bad science, I watch TV to be entertained and be told an interesting story.

Quote:
bad cliches.
Maybe. I don't find it that bad, but to each their own.

At least you don't need to watch it again and only lost a few minutes of your life.

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 10-12-2016 at 07:46 AM..
Old 10-12-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Here's a trope (well, sort of) that I noticed:

When the villains went back in time, presumably they would have been able to have the Hindenburg land safely, and then plant the bomb so it successfully went off during the return trip. This should have immediately changed the histories of everybody in "the present," so they would never have known what "should have" happened - and we know this happens as this is exactly what happened when the heroes returned.

Presumably, it's not so much "time travel" as it is "universe jumping" (somebody on another thread pointed out, "So where's the version of the history professor with the fiancee and without the sister?") - but in that case, what would be the problem with meeting yourself in the past?
And in the Lincoln episode, didn't somebody say something along the lines of, they had to hurry before the bad guys changed history to the point where the project might not even exist any more? Again, any changes they made were made over 100 years ago. It was bad enough when this sort of thing happened in X-Men First Class (where something in the present is about to happen, but just then, somebody does something in the past, and the threat in the present just vanishes).
Old 10-12-2016, 08:59 AM

I remember the second Timecop movie (yes, there were two), the bad guy was being chased by Timecops and he pops into the past, kills a few of their ancestors, and now nobody is chasing him. Come on. Wouldn't the Timecops just have hired other agents? That's like saying that if you went back to WW2 and killed a young aviator named George H. W. Bush, that Reagan wouldn't have had a Vice President, and that would wouldn't have been a President during 1989-93, and 2001-2009.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
At the beginning of this episode, one of the black soldiers asks Rufus to write out something for them, giving him paper and a pencil. I was wondering what would have happened if they'd given him a fountain pen, or even a quill and inkpot. Because there are so many minor things that would be known to someone in the past that many of us don't know today. Like horse riding, or starting a fire.
I still occ use a fountain pen.

But yes, that bit with his pistol being scarily futuristic in 1935 was off.

I did like that fact that they can't do what so many time travel stories fail to get around- they can't just go back in time another 5 minutes and fix what they screwed up. They get one shot. No do-overs.

That one thing has made me like this show- that and the fact that changes to the past have consequences.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:44 PM

So how many mystery threads does this show have:

1. Who or what is "Rittenhouse" ?
2. How did the bad guy get Lucy's yet-to-be-written notebook?
3. Why are the recordings of the trips so important?
4. Who or what is Lucy's father?

I'm sure I missed a few.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
O:
SPOILER:
Grant was in a different place that day; Johnson was not in the presence of gunfire as depicted (his would-be assassin got drunk instead of trying to kill him); the people actually in the theater box with Lincoln were displaced in the show's version and would have done different things.
And of course that's a very short excerpt from what would be a very long list of things changed by the show's characters.

Yeah, it's only a TV show. But when it comes to high-concept, I like to be able to feel respect for the amount of thought the creators put into their story. This show is entertaining enough, but I suspect it's too slapdash to be as compelling as any great cult show must be.
Well
SPOILER:
In real life Grant did not attend the play since his wife hated Mrs Lincoln. Doubt that a train breakdown would make them attend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Paula Paula

And obvious lipstick. And no hat - what Civil War era lady left the house without a hat? I know she somehow lost her bonnet from her original outfit, but then she bought a new outfit to wear to the theatre, but no hat?
An actress; aka not a Lady.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:09 PM

If they'd had the guts to actually save Lincoln it would have pushed this show into must watch territory, right now I'm thinking of dropping it.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos L Halper View Post

This came up at the Timeless panel at NYC Comic Con last weekend. The answer the show's producer(?) gave was that it takes years of training to pilot the time machine, and there are only two pilots: Rufus, and the Matt Frewer character, who was kidnapped by the bad(?) guys.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
If they'd had the guts to actually save Lincoln it would have pushed this show into must watch territory, right now I'm thinking of dropping it.
But what would have been different? Anything he would have done to help the former slaves would have almost certainly been undone after the Hayes-Tilden election. Besides, I don't think Lincoln had any authority to take the land of the former slaveowners, short of having the Army take it by force. Still, I wonder how he would have dealt with Grant's promise to Lee that all Confederate soldiers would be pardoned.

On the other hand, remember that Lincoln was a Republican, and even back then, that meant money for the rich; tell Leland Stanford, Mark Hopkins, and Charles Crocker otherwise.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBlob View Post
This came up at the Timeless panel at NYC Comic Con last weekend. The answer the show's producer(?) gave was that it takes years of training to pilot the time machine, and there are only two pilots: Rufus, and the Matt Frewer character, who was kidnapped by the bad(?) guys.
They really should mention that in the show. As much as I enjoy "The Talking Dead", it is notorious for having TWD staff explaining things presented in an episode. I would really prefer all the relevant information to be presented within the show. No supplementary reading/watching required.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
But what would have been different? Anything he would have done to help the former slaves would have almost certainly been undone after the Hayes-Tilden election. Besides, I don't think Lincoln had any authority to take the land of the former slaveowners, short of having the Army take it by force. Still, I wonder how he would have dealt with Grant's promise to Lee that all Confederate soldiers would be pardoned.

On the other hand, remember that Lincoln was a Republican, and even back then, that meant money for the rich; tell Leland Stanford, Mark Hopkins, and Charles Crocker otherwise.
Maybe it wouldn't have changed much, but it would have made the show a lot more interesting.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:32 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:

Okay, Bradbury's "butterfly" thing is posited to have happened millions of years back, whereas this show's changes go back only 151 years (so far). Still, it's implausible that everything would be pretty much the same after all the changes they made:
SPOILER:

The first episode played fast and loose with parts of history. They picked random famous names of people that weren't scheduled to be on the return trip.

My suspension of disbelief is pretty strong and I can't predict what will take me out of a story. In this it was the black soldier using the term "human trader." Was the network uncomfortable using the word slave? Would anyone back then use the term human trader?
Old 10-15-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
The first episode played fast and loose with parts of history. They picked random famous names of people that weren't scheduled to be on the return trip.

My suspension of disbelief is pretty strong and I can't predict what will take me out of a story. In this it was the black soldier using the term "human trader." Was the network uncomfortable using the word slave? Would anyone back then use the term human trader?
Very interesting point about "human trader." I was inspired to check it in Ngram Viewer: NO results during the Civil War period. There's a spike around 1920 and another around 2000:

https://books.google.com/ngrams/grap...trader%3B%2Cc0

If it wasn't a term that anyone connected with the show would have seen in Civil War-era research (assuming they do research), then perhaps your surmise that it was used to avoid saying "slaver" is correct.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:08 PM

I was amused by their stealing the Back To The Future name schtick.

"This is Dr. Dre and I'm Nurse Jackie, and we're from General Hospital."
Old 10-15-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I was more distracting by them not using the term "nigger", truth be told.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:45 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
I was amused by their stealing the Back To The Future name schtick.

"This is Dr. Dre and I'm Nurse Jackie, and we're from General Hospital."
Or Supernatural who has been doing it for 12 seasons.

Quote:
I was more distracting by them not using the term "nigger", truth be told.
That I wouldn't expect because it would be jarring and only used for effect. But I don't understand what's wrong with the term slave trader.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
That I wouldn't expect because it would be jarring and only used for effect.
I don't know; in that context, a former-slave-turned-soldier angrily confronting a man (twice!) who he recognizes as impersonating a soldier? None of the white bystanders in the hotel after the attempt on Johnson is thwarted have any dialog, oddly and conveniently.

Personally, I think it would have been most effectively (and dramatically) used casually, and while the 21st century character alone feels reflexive anger, he has to suppress it to keep his cover. If the show is going to explore time-crossed culture shock (I'm guessing all their adventures will take place in the historical U.S.), it should have some guts about it.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

They did some of that in the first episode, in which as I remember, the New Jersey cop called Rufus "boy" and later Rufus made a sarcastic comment about having to sit in the back of the bus.

In general, I would expect the time travelers to get tripped up often when it comes to manners and personal interaction.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Or Supernatural who has been doing it for 12 seasons
It is one of the many shows of which I haven't seen even a single episode. Timeless will join those that I have seen only twice.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This one of those not too deep shows that I know I'll enjoy without having to think too deep about. A couple of things that annoyed me. The cops were looking at the pistol from the future like it was a Buck Rogers ray gun. They might be slightly curious about the exact make but it's not like semi-auto handguns were unheard of. There was a reason why the standard Army handgun was called the M1911.
What bothered me was that his managers didn't provide him with a supressed M1911. Or let him bring his from home.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
What bothered me was that his managers didn't provide him with a supressed M1911. Or let him bring his from home.
what gun is it?
Old 10-17-2016, 11:44 AM

Not as horrible a show as I thought it would be. What would be interesting as an experiment is if they took a printout about the historical event they are going to back with them then compare it to the same site when they get back.

Is it bad that when I heard "Rittenhouse" I thought of James Cromwell's character in Deep Impact?

Last edited by Saint Cad; 10-17-2016 at 11:46 AM..
Old 10-17-2016, 12:05 PM

"Printout"? My idea was two identical flash drives jam packed full of historical data. One taken with, the other left at HQ.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
"Printout"? My idea was two identical flash drives jam packed full of historical data. One taken with, the other left at HQ.
That idea was actually used in a time travel adventure game from the mid 90s. In the game two hard drives were made containing the entire history of earth. One was kept in the present and the other was stored 100 million years ago. Whenever people are through to have altered history, someone is sent back in time to compare the data between the two drives to determine when the changes were made. Your job in the game is to fix the 3-4 points in time that have been altered and restore the proper timeline.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:01 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
I don't know; in that context, a former-slave-turned-soldier angrily confronting a man (twice!) who he recognizes as impersonating a soldier? None of the white bystanders in the hotel after the attempt on Johnson is thwarted have any dialog, oddly and conveniently.

Personally, I think it would have been most effectively (and dramatically) used casually, and while the 21st century character alone feels reflexive anger, he has to suppress it to keep his cover. If the show is going to explore time-crossed culture shock (I'm guessing all their adventures will take place in the historical U.S.), it should have some guts about it.
If I wasn't clear I meant jarring on a silly network TV show. Not jarring in historical context. The show contains some cultural issues but at it's heart it is an adventure show. I'm not even sure the network sensors would allow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
It is one of the many shows of which I haven't seen even a single episode. Timeless will join those that I have seen only twice.
Eric Kripke, one of the creators of Timeless, also created Supernatural. To me Supernatural is one of the most entertaining shows ever put on air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
what gun is it?
I did not get a good enough look at it. It certainly wasn't a Glock or a 1911 but other than that it could have been a Sig or Smith or several others that don't look particularly memorable from a distance.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
Not as horrible a show as I thought it would be. What would be interesting as an experiment is if they took a printout about the historical event they are going to back with them then compare it to the same site when they get back.
Heck, just put all the research on a USB stick and toss it into the time-sphere.

The real shocking moment might be when Rufus emerges with the USB stick and the base characters look at it and say "what's that?"
Old 10-17-2016, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

The problem with identical USB drives (or printouts) to track changes - what prevents those from getting changed with the timeline? The fact that they're inside the time machine? Wouldn't the data/writing just change along with the rest of recorded history like the pictures/faxes/newspaper headlines in Back to the Future?
Old 10-17-2016, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

In one of Robert Heinlein's novels, the characters were traveling among parallel universes in which there were differences in Earth on each. (As I remember, in one, there was no J in the alphabet.) One character came up with the idea of obtaining an almanac in each universe, as it contains a nice summary of historical and other data. Except I don't know if anyone still publishes paper almanacs any more.